Definitive Cane Creek Feedback Thread.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Jun 25, 2021.

1. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Who’s ready for this and armed to the hilt with coffee and questions?

• Like Like x 1
  2. chieflongshin

Thoughts as follows.

• I really like the weathered locos, this looks far better than the brand new ones.
    • 12 services seems good value.
    • I love some of the scenery on the route, lighting looks better and we seem to be getting better effects.

Concerns ,these are only my own.

• routes quite slow and isolated, not sure how much will engage me.
    • Skybox still not good.
    • It’s a very isolated route, almost like a screen saver

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

The freight only routes could do with objectives to meet such as X tonnes of coal/iron etc by a certain time and you make your own use of the railroad. Yes its more game-y but the straightforward simulation of normal service is not going to be that engaging on its own. Its about using the simulation of the route and giving you something to achieve and work for whilst being in character.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sheldon1000

Sheldon1000 Well-Known Member

It's a no from me. On the stream it lagged pretty bad. It just looks empty to me. Only my opinion though. I'm not a fan of the USA freight anyway. But if I was, the stream wouldn't have enticed me to get it in any case.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Looks pretty terrible on a console tbh (to be expected)....I'll reserve judgement until next week when we see it running on PC with improved framerate / gfx settings

At this stage though, I'll probably leave this one for a sale at a later date.....I'm still making my way through Clinchfield's journey mode and having alot of fun doing so.

• Like Like x 4
  6. chieflongshin

I’m interested to see how it looks on pc. I just don’t think I’ll be a fan of 20mph in a desert. All these routes where you don’t get much over 30mph I switch off to.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I thought the route looked pretty on the whole. Draw distance and the track ballast texture let it down for me. The track ballast just looked like sand or as if the texture hadn’t been generated last night. Especially from a distance, so it felt unfinished to me personally.

• Like Like x 2
  8. chieflongshin

I wonder if that’s just a PS4 thing. I did notice there was a lot of foliage pop in early on. I attributed it to console but time will tell next week. I’m interested to see how skyhook have managed night lighting in this environment as it’s another low ambience route. Snow and night too, I have a feeling it will be a black and white picture again

• Like Like x 3
  9. dreampage

dreampage Well-Known Member

Shadow draw distance is one thing (I don't think it's such a big issue on this route as it mostly has quite open environments) but the foliage pop-up is alarming. Since I also play on console (Xbox Series X), even if I have a more powerful machine I would probably get the same off-putting pop-up, albeit at a stable 60 fps. The route looks wonderful otherwise. Now, I don't know what the proper next-gen console upgrades will mean for routes like this. Will they generally increase draw distance across a board? Or will this be, again, on a case by case basis? I would be interested in this route if I knew it would be upgraded properly later.

• Like Like x 2
  10. stijn.claessens

stijn.claessens Well-Known Member

The scenery is really pretty. The route is not for me. Not a fan of us freight.

• Like Like x 2
  11. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

The bit where they were in the mini cutting with rock either side, it was jagged rock which then descended to a perfectly flat floor & track, no texture what so ever.

In certain positions at certain times of day the shadow bubble looks laughable! It would honestly look 10 times better if local shadows could be turned off.

• Like Like x 1
  12. chieflongshin

I think the PC stream will perhaps give a better idea with them being a lot closer (if not better in some instance). I'm mulling this over and I'm now thinking too that the same US trains (at least to an unknowledgeable luddite like me) seem to be used again. I guess its because the routes do use them but there must be an interesting new route which presents interesting new challenges with new trains. Not sure why St Pancras to Paris just popped in my head. I'm definitely dreaming that that would ever end up in TSW.

I think there was some spectacular bits in the route but others where by I just thought Meh.

• Like Like x 2
  13. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm going to wait for the next stream to view the route, I could not watch any more than 5 minutes on the ps4, it was in my eyes kak performance-wise.

14. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I don't think it's about realism in this case. There are plenty of other locos Skyhook could have chosen to ship with Cane Creek instead - a modern EMD (which have been highly requested) comes to mind. Instead, the reason is probably that Skyhook didn't want to worry about building a new loco at the same time as they're building their first route (first one they build on their own, that is). I think that's also the reason why they announced a route (Cane Creek) and a loco DLC (DB Br 187) at the same time - they learn route building with one product and loco building with the other. It's unfortunate that we only get re-used locos, but if what I described was their reasoning behind closed doors, I can understand that logic at least.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

It's understandable; but still a little disenheartening that there has not been a single modern US freight engine built for TSW2020- all we have are the carryover Sand Patch group, re-used a couple of times, plus the appreciated but very retro Clinchfield pair. Even the AC4400 barely even counts as "modern"- it's 25 years old; if it was an automobile it would qualify for Vintage plates.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Personally I found the stream a little hard to watch, and skipped through a lot of it. It's not all about an acceptable frame rate. The constant stuttering was very distracting. Is this what a console player typically experiences? I'd rather have a slightly lower fps and a smoother ride. I also found the " sales pitch" tone rather off putting, We're all train fans here, we don't need to be "sold" on the game, do we? I'd rather have someone ask Matt the tough questions. I was also once again disappointed with the headlights, they are not typical of an American locomotive. And I'd like a closer look at the water, which is particularly important to me. And turning the sounds down was not a good idea. On the other hand, I thought the locos were very well modeled, which you would expect from Skyhook, although there seemed to be something not quite right about the AC4400 trucks - can't quite put my finger on it. I agree that the scenery was well done. Like most Americans, I'm very familiar with it, so it doesn't exactly blow me away. But it's spectacular, nonetheless. I'll look forward to the next stream to answer some of my lingering questions.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  17. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The canyon scenery was good, but I think that was the UE4 asset library rather than the devs of the route. The local scenery looked pale and uninteresting in comparrison...
    Watched about 40 minutes (whilst playing sudoku on my phone) and to be fair the sudoku had more action and interest than a 20mph stroll through some rocks... Then I went and did something more interesting

• Like Like x 2
  18. chieflongshin

I asked a few times to see the water textures as this was of interest to me too. The skybox is still a massive bugbear of mine. I’m still open minded but it depends if they show more of the variety in scenarios and how it performs on pc

19. dreampage

What's even more mind-boggling is that for the developers it's almost as much work to re-use the same locos over and over again as it would be to build new ones. Because every time they have to build these from scratch as well, for some reason. Absolutely redundant work with diminishing returns.

• Like Like x 3
  20. solicitr

In almost all cases in these livestreams, the stutters are due to the stream hanging, not the game. We see the same things in streams featuring Matt's personal Ferrari PC.

I was a bit nonplussed at the draw distance, pop-in and low-res middle distance scenery that console players apparently have to put up with.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

It's not too worse than other games, I think us console players are used to that, fingers crossed the graphics will be the same between PC and next gen after RH

22. Crosstie

Well, I've watched a lot of streams, and I don't recall it being such a distraction before. In fact, I watched the Tehachapi Pass stream the other day and it was pretty much stutter free, as I recall. I don't know what platform Jamie was using.

23. chieflongshin

I did notice JD kept saying about it being 45fps on the stream. I thought “so what” but I’m a bias pc elitist

• Like Like x 1
  24. breblimator

breblimator Guest

The stream quality was shocking. I'm sure (I hope?) the game looks a lot better than what we saw. The quality (resolution, clarity) of the image made my eyes bleed. Great far scenography. The rest - debatable. Initial reduction value, sounds, meh meh... Ballast and textures near the tracks - a bad joke (stream issue? PS version?). Overall - very good, if I think about it through promo screenshots. I am not worried about the gameplay aspect.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

I commented at the time of the live stream that I thought it was a strange decision to "premier" the route on a lets say a lower quality platform. Surely you want the route to be shown at it's very best and save the console stream for a later date. My comment was accused of being PC elitest by the mods even though that wasn't my intention

• Like Like x 5
  26. gottabedarnell

gottabedarnell Member

WHAT THE HELL WHERE THEY THINKING COMING OUT WITH THAT BORING GARBAGE NOTHING BUT MOUNTAINS THEY EXPECT US TO PAY FOR THAT GARBAGE

• Like Like x 2
  27. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

What the hell?

Can't tell if trolling or angry.

• Like Like x 10
  28. RGoodellSr

RGoodellSr Member

For me personally, TSW2 and the available routes and DLC beat the snot out of the model railroad I always wanted but could never realize.

Even considering the bugs and quirks, I'm really grateful for the opportunity to fullfil my railfan needs in this way, and find the offerings desirable, acceptable and enjoyable.

I'm looking forward to Cane Creek, as I was for Clinchfield, and I expect many hours of entertainment.

The scenery is beautiful, and I like the locos even as much as I would like to see something new. The services are realistic for the line, and it feels very much like 'home' where I grew up.

I'm going to buy immediately.

• Like Like x 12
  29. chieflongshin

I’ve just found this so I can have a more balanced view, lots of different wagons on it. I remember Matt picking up a railroad crossing wasn’t working too.
    There’s some beautiful scenery in it , I can’t help looking at that sky in this video. I’m looking forward to next stream to see more.

• Like Like x 2
  30. Crosstie

Either way, best to ignore it.

Though we may criticize it, we're committed to the game, and many, if not most of us, will buy CCB on release, just like you.

• Like Like x 4
  31. Crosstie

No, you're spot on. The fps is not the be all and end all of the game. Not for PC or console. In fact the frame rate is not what most players post about, but rather draw distance, pop-up scenery and textures, among other factors. 30 fps can look quite good, if motion is smooth etc., and, as we've seen, 45 or even 60fps can look less than great.

• Like Like x 1
  32. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The stream was likely the cause of the stuttering. The frame rate was good throughout.

33. Crosstie

My understanding is that stuttering can occur at any frame rate, even 60 fps. The previous stream on Tehachapi had no discernable stutter. Anyway, the fact remains that the video quality was sub par and I had to quit the stream. I trust it will be better next week.

• Like Like x 4
  34. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

In either case, using all caps is simply offensive in and of itself.

• Like Like x 2
  35. BladesAndRazors

BladesAndRazors Member

Offtopic but have you looked at Rolling Line?

• Like Like x 1
  36. RGoodellSr

RGoodellSr Member

Never heard of it

37. chieflongshin

I took a peek on YouTube. Model railway simulator

38. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Out of interest, are the same people who buy passenger routes also buying freight routes such as this (personally I’m not a freight person)? If so, are the same arguments regarding lack of variety and amount of traffic, such as with Cathcart Circle, also an issue in a route like this which is mainly single track and therefore will have no passing traffic?

39. solicitr

Not quite the same. The complaints about Cathcart (which I don't personally share) center around the fact that the real-life route (or at least Glasgow Central) has more types of train and more traffic than the game route. Whereas Cane Creek in reality has few services, and limited types of trains (although there are other engines, such as the ES44 and SD70MAC).

I think it has more to do that some players don't care for long, slow drives in the country. To each his own; I don't care for stopping at every tree.

• Like Like x 4
  40. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I still think they should of included more of the main line, from Green River to Thompson Springs, would of help take away the slow running of the Branch Line, as most of that line is around 60mph top speed.

• Like Like x 4
  41. chieflongshin

I was the same in that when I first played sand patch I hated it and I hated the brakes. Once I got used to it I’ve put a lot of time into it. Clinchfield I thought may have the same charm but those 15mph hills kill it for me. I bought into the “ lots to do “ which was banded in the streams. Just not a fan of slow speed and juggling dynamic brake. I actually prefer uk and Germany for freight, uk the speeds are a bit higher and German freight pzb dance is more interesting than a 15mph rock tunnel I fear. Each to their own

• Like Like x 5
  42. Crosstie

Yes, would have been a real bonus. Plus we might have caught sight of the Zephyr with its P42 and Superliners. ;);)

43. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

You have a choice. They expect you to pay for it, if you want it!

44. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

I think that what the poster meant was “It doesn’t appeal to my personal taste so it is garbage, never mind what other people might think.” - only, in capitals!

• Like Like x 4
  45. chieflongshin

So tonight the night. Cane creek on pc…
    Might have to ask them to show on ultra and normal settings.
    I wonder how much different to last week it will look

46. chieflongshin

Well what was peoples thoughts.

I thought the snow looked incredible and well done in the mountain range.
    Night time lights on train were improved
    Good reflections in the water.
    Loved Matts mini tutorials, year too late fro me but he explains really well
    Weathered trains look good

Things I’m not sold on.
    Single track route
    No traffic
    Looks sterile again, no leisure boats, not sure if planes moved or factory alive
    Snow road texture was terrible
    Car was awful.

I think this is a no for me. Just a bit too quiet

47. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I’d purchase it just for the stunning scenery alone.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  48. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

49. dreampage

Cane Creek looks much better on PC than on console, thanks to the longer draw distances. As an Xbox player now I'm torn. I would be interested in this route but after seeing the foliage on PC I'm not sure I'd like what awaits in the console version. If I knew that all routes will be improved with the dedicated next-gen console optimizations, and they will be much closer to the PC experience then I would be more confident in buying this one. Otherwise I think I'll wait and see some Series X gameplay videos to decide.

50. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

After seeing the wonderful canyons created by Skyhook I feel more embarrassed by the Alps created by Rivet.

• Like Like x 10