Raildriver Controller For Game Consoles

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by bschumacher#2597, Jun 22, 2021.

1. bschumacher#2597

bschumacher#2597 New Member

I really wish the raildriver controller would work for game consoles. Can it really be that big a deal to make that happen. I bought A raildriver controller in hopes it would work as I had read it would. So now I either buy a gaming computer and switch platforms, or sell the Raildriver controller

2. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I've never read anything or heard from anyone at DTG, PIE, MS or Sony to the effect that Raildriver would work from a console. Raildriver works with Windows OS and neither PS nor XBox has it. (The Xbox version of Windows is not compatible). Someone would have to write new software to make it happen and would need to involve the console makers. Even if that happened, you'd still need a keyboard and mouse or your controller for some functions. Doesn't seem worth the bother, frankly.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

I would also like to see TRACKIR given console support for tsw , if that’s possible

• Like Like x 1
  4. Knightfire1964

Knightfire1964 Well-Known Member

yeah i have never heard anyone say that raildriver works on console so intrigued to know where you got that info. This is more a thing that rail driver would have to deal with and get licences for consoles. as for track IR i think it is the same thing as even on their website they say specifically for PC titles and with limited games that offer the support which are on consoles i wonder how it would work again they would need to figure out how software for it could be updated routinely which can be done seeing it's done with the likes of wheel bases etc

5. Yorkshirelad

Yorkshirelad Active Member

DTG have explicitly said time and time again that raildriver is PC only........

• Like Like x 1
  6. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

If they can make steering wheels for a PS4 then surely it’s not beyond the bounds of possibility to make a PS4 Raildriver controller unless the train sim take up on console doesn’t warrant it? Although to be honest I’m perfectly ok with a normal PS4 pad and it’s still fun to use.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Crosstie

No-one said it was impossible. But it would require a whole new set of interfaces and the software to make them work. As of this moment, there's no indication that any of the concerned parties is inclined to do the work, nor, apparently, is there a groundswell of demand from console players. You could start a campaign.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  8. stephen220378

stephen220378 Active Member

It would require Sony to support the drivers for Raildriver, its all down to Sony.

Example: The Thrustmaster T100 wheel works on PS4 games up until and including GT Sport, after this Sony pulled support for the T100 so people had to buy the PS branded Thrustmaster T150 entry level wheel instead.

If they wish Sony could make any controller on earth work with the console if they want to support it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

Well like I said there probably isn’t demand from console players for one to be developed and I’m perfectly happy with the normal PS4 pad so no campaign from me. Does using a Raildriver really make that much of a difference when it comes to making things realistic? I mean using a steering wheel on a driving game does make a difference but a Raildriver just seems like a fancy PS4 pad to me.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  10. Crosstie

It does for me, at least, because it's so much more fun and immersive than using a mouse and keyboard to set up, drive and stop the train. And RD has controls for many, though not all, of the cab switches and sliders. So, you're right in a way, it's rather like a console controller, except that it's a heavyish unit that sits firmly on the desk instead of in your hands. Actually, I did try using a controller on my PC a few years ago, but I found that my hand eye coordination was not up to it.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Max6180

Max6180 Member

There may be a solution that can be tried for those who have the Raildriver and want to play TSW on Playstation is to plug it into a Titan two ( https://www.consoletuner.com/products/titan-two/ ) between the console and the Raildriver. This device allows you to play with any controller on any console/pc, so why not?

12. Max6180

Max6180 Member

Watch on this video for example ( https://www.youtube.com/shorts/5uFQFwVTj7Q ) there is a Densha de Go PS1 controller connected to a PS1/USB port adapter which is then connected to the Titan two in USB then it connects in USB to the playstation 4 (the ps4 game for information is the "Densha de GO !! Hashirô Yamanote Sen" only available on the Japanese playstation store).

13. Yorkshirelad

Yorkshirelad Active Member

In theory yes it should work, but in reality no, when you launch a game on Xbox, it launches it in a hypervisor, which is essentially another version of the Xbox software, in basic terms you have the xbox dash (which is windows 10/11) and the hypervisor, which is a separate OS

14. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

Who knows maybe in the future. We do have a flight yoke for Xbox that is used for flight sim.

15. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

This goes beyond the remit of the overall purpose a gaming console serves; a fixed hardware platform for a simple plug-in and play experience. Anything more complex generally requires an open platform, i.e. PC. One concession is flight joysticks for MSFS on Xbox, but train controllers are even more niche, so unfortunately pretty unlikely to happen.