Tsw 2 Routes Different To Tsw 2020 Routes ?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by anorak, Jun 30, 2021.

1. anorak

anorak Member

I've just bought TSW 2 deluxe via Steam and I'd like to add routes and content while the Steam Summer sale is on.
    Looking through the deals, it seems as though buying the TSW 2020 deluxe at £13.99 is a much cheaper way to get 6 additional routes for my TSW 2 than buying them separately, even while on sale, (£75 !).

The TSW 2020 core program would be defunct for me so I wouldn't actually download it, but as I understand things, once I own that package, those 6 routes will automatically download to my Steam TSW 2 sim ?

What confuses me though, is that some of those routes are listed in the Steam DLC content as being available for TSW or TSW 2, with a different graphic, (with "TSW 2" on it), so I'm wondering if each of those DLCs might be enhanced for TSW 2 ?

2. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

That is correct.
    Nope, they are identical. If you own the TSW2020 base package, then those base routes will automatically be added to your TSW2 installation (downloaded separately as "TSW2" versions), and buying any subsequent TSW2020 DLC will also automatically add the equivalent TSW2 DLC to your library.

Cheers

3. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

All TSW2020 routes are compatible with TSW2 via the preserved collection with the exception of the NEC route which unfortunately cannot be ported over to TSW2.
    If you own any routes in TSW2020 and then buy TSW2, those routes become available for free in TSW2 (preserved collection).

So, if you buy the TSW2020 deluxe edition you'll get these routes which will all be available to use in TSW2 through the preserved collection:
    Great Western Express
    Long Island Railroad - NY to Hicksville
    Main Spessart Bahn
    Northern Trans-Pennine
    Peninsula Corridor - San Fran - San Jose

4. HaibaraHariko

HaibaraHariko Active Member

There's a guy called Adam in the development team and his team is continuously making upgrades for these old routes. That means a new looking of sky, the departure boards on platforms and more.

The ones for Long Island Rail Road and Rapid Transit are already released but other ones won't be released real soon. You can always check the Roadmap for more information.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. anorak

anorak Member

Thanks for the very rapid and helpful replies, (this is going to be a very useful resource !)
    I will buy the Steam TSW2020 deluxe immediately :)

6. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Disclaimer: This is 100% speculation on my part, nothing here is confirmed or even hinted at by DTG

After reading through this thread who else thinks TSW2020 should be delisted ? Having two TSW products on the market just creates consumer confusion for new players.

Now with all the routes (with the exception of NEC:NY and it's DLC) imported over to TSW2, I don't think there is any reason to keep selling TSW2020. With Rush Hour coming out shortly with its Amtrak route, people will probably care less about NEC:NY than they already do.

For those not in the know, dislisting a game does not in any way affect owners of the game already and it will continue to work just fine / redownloadable etc ...it simply prevents it from being purchased from that point onwards.

Thoughts ?

• Like Like x 1
  7. anorak

anorak Member

I'm very grateful it was still available for me to buy it Yerolo.

It may lead to confusion as it's now defunct, but being able to still buy the old deluxe version of it in the Steam sale for just £9.99 gave me five DLC routes that would have cost me £9.99 each in the sale. Then when I went into Steam on my PC it immediately downloaded those DLCs into my TSW 2 game. So it saved me £40.

I won't even bother to install TSW2020, because it would just take up disk space, but just owning it gave me ownership of those DLCs for my TSW 2.

Great Western Express Route 9.99
    Long Island Rail Road: New York - Hicksville 9.99
    Main Spessart Bahn: Aschaffenburg - Gemünden Route 9.99
    Northern Trans-Pennine: Manchester - Leeds Route 9.99
    Peninsula Corridor: San Francisco - San Jose Route 9.99

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

Does this work the same way on PS4? I have the digital version of TSW2 from PSN, so if I then buy TSW2020 from PSN, will it automatically add those routes to my TSW2?

9. anorak

anorak Member

Sorry Calidore, I only know about the PC version via Steam.

10. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

It won't automatically download them but they will be marked as free in the PS store under TSW2. You just select them and download them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

You might have to install TSW2020 for it to work, then you can uninstall it later. As a bonus on PS4 though, you will get Rapid Transit and NEC New York routes as well, as they are included too but not advertised. NEC New York will only work in TSW2020 though.

12. conniethunder

conniethunder Well-Known Member

It goes without saying, buy any 'Preserved Collection' DLC for TSW2020, because you then get it 'free' for TSW2 :)

13. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

Thank you all kindly. It worked fine, though watching it happen was confusing:

I bought TDSW2020 CE from the Playstation Store...
    ...but it showed in downloads as just TSW...
    ...(though it did show in storage as TSW2020)...
    ...and while it did say seven downloads total, it only listed six, missing Northern Trans Pennine...
    ...while showing Peninsula Corridor, which I already have from TSW2...
    ...but NTP did nonetheless download and install with the rest...
    ...except Long Island, which I had to install manually for some reason...
    ...but then the TSW2 versions of those routes showed as "unavailable" in PSN...
    ...but it let me download them anyway.

Happily, even though I was disoriented by all this, my PS4 never was, and in the end everything installed fine and shows in TSW2 as they're supposed to. Extra thanks to stujoy for the tip about Rapid Transit; that was a nice surprise. So six new TSW2 DLC routes (Great Western Express, Rapid Transit, Ruhr Sieg Nord, Long Island, Northern Trans Pennine, and Main Spessart Bahn) for only $21.99, plus the MP15DC switcher and its special MLK run for only $10.99. Seems like this will be a good hours/cost ratio.

• Like Like x 3
  14. conniethunder

I'm just a sucker for sales :(
    If I don't have 'everything', then it doesn't feel complete.
    Just waiting for a better deal on Cathcart and the upcoming Cane Creek

15. anorak

anorak Member

I agree with something Calidore said, "it is confusing" .... relating to this subject.

The phrase "preserved collection" only appears on the graphic of some of the TSW2020 addons in the Steam store, so it makes it look as though only some will be freely upgraded to TSW2 installations when the user owns that product.

...and yet as I understand it, almost every TSW2020 is freely upgraded, so why aren't they all labelled as "preserved collection" in the marketing ?

Also, you have to be careful when buying TSW addons via Steam. Their very useful feature of normally indicating which items are already in your library doesn't take into account these preserved collection items. When you own a route in TSW2020, it still does offer for you to purchase the identical TSW2 route without showing that you already effectively have it in your library.

• Like Like x 1
  16. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

To simply the situation for you;

All TSW2020 (aka TSW) routes (with the exception of NEC: New York) are part of preserved collection.
    Preserved Collection kind of does what is in the name, it helps you preserve your collection.
    If you buy a TSW(2020) add-on you will receive it for TSW2 as well.

If you buy a bundle (like TSW Deluxe) you should receive all those routes.

If they don't appear for download, i recommend asking on the technical part of the forums.

As for some routes not having 'preserved collection' in the marketing - with the exception of NEC: New York - they still are in the collection.

Hope this helps.

17. anorak

anorak Member

Thanks for the clarification Trainsimplayer.
    That is just what I had done, after buying TSW 2 in the Steam sale (with its 3 incluided routes), I purchased TSW2020, also in the Steam Sale, and without even bothering to install it, I found that Steam automatically downloaded its included routes into my TSW 2.

I just found it confusing that the marketing only marks some of the original content as "preserved collection", and that Steam would allow you to purchase a TSW 2 addon that you already have in your collection via TSW2020. Their otherwise accurate system of keeping track of what you already own when you browse the store fails with the preserved collection becuase they presumably see them as completely separate entities.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

The Preserved Collection logo is only to indicate TSW2 DLC that has been ported across from the previous version of the game and thus isn't "new". Since the store still supports the original TSW2020, there are also copies of those routes for TSW2020 and thus they don't have the Preserved Collection logo. Regardless, if you own TSW2020, then any route (apart from NEC New York/New Haven) that you buy will automatically be transferred across to TSW2 if/when you own it, but if you buy the TSW2 Preserved Collection route it won't transfer back to TSW2020. There's no point having the Preserved Collection logo on the original copies of the routes because they are only legacy store items left to support TSW2020, in an ideal world all of TSW2020 would be ported across to TSW2 and then removed completely from the store.

For instance, If you search for MSB in the store, you'll see two items
    1) Train Sim World: Main Spessart Bahn (the DLC for the original game, releas
    2) Train Sim World 2: Main Spessart Bahn (this will have the Preserved Collection logo)

• Like Like x 1
  19. anorak

anorak Member

Yes, that all makes sense to me now Hiro, I hadn't thought about the logic of not having the Preserved Collection logo on the oroginal TSW2020 versions still on sale, and only showing it on the TSW 2 versions where it was being preserved "to", (if that makes sense, tricky to put into words !)
    It does make it tricky in Steam though, it breaks their safeguards of being warned if you already effectively have something in your library.
    For example, this earch for TSW West County shows that I already have the TSW 2 version, but would happily let me buy the TSW2020 version. I suppose my TSW 2 version can't be used in TSW2020, but I can't see many owners wanting to duplicate a DLC for their 2020 after they've bought the same thing in TSW 2.
    In this screenshot they're easy to see next to each other, but when you view all of the TSW dlc content, they are harder to spot, being much more separated, or even not at all if you have "do not show my library items" ticked.
    west somerset dlc.jpg

20. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

Oh I agree it isn't ideal, not sure exactly how the back-end works in Steam though and whether it can technically remove a DLC from the Store based on your ownership of another DLC in another game (since they essentially are two different pieces of software, just you get one for free if you meet certain conditions)

21. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The issue here is one of licensing.
    If you buy a license for the DLC in TSW2020 then DTG "gift you" a license for the same DLC in TSW2. So if you buy the OLD one then you get the NEW one for free (don't believe it works the other way round...)
    So rather than thinking they're the same thing (they're not, the TSW2 versions have been revised a lot since the last TSW2020 DLC revisions) think about it as one orphaned DLC license being replaced with a new DLC license, hence the multiple listings
    I guess there could be some people out there who still have TSW2020 on their machines who would not want to "upgrade" to TSW2 (ie pay hard cash) but might run a trip occasionally.
    I don't know how many games on steam would retain old DLC (even if heavily revised by now) to a new version of the game

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. anorak

anorak Member

Agreed.. I guess if I'd been a bit more forward thinking I'd have bought the TSW2020 DLCs instead of the "Preserved Collection" TSW 2 versions, then I'd have had both, though again, as I say, I can't see me using TSW2020, and haven't even installed it.
    When I first noticed them I assumed that the TSW 2 versions might have been enhanced, though even if they were, I'd have still got them free... :)
    I actually bought TSW2020 after buying and installing TSW 2, just to get the five included DLCs for under £10 for my TSW 2, that would have otherwise cost me £50, even at "on sale" prices.

23. ARuscoe

TSW2 versions are being enhanced, by the preserved collection team, including things like new skies, working level crossings and PIS etc etc

24. conniethunder

I was late buying TSW2020 and only got about 6 months out of it before TSW2 was released.
    It was annoying having to buy the new version more from the point of view that I've 'had' to redo most of the training and scenarios - something I hope we don't have to do for TSW3??

However, due to sales at the time, I had bought most of the DLC for TSW2020 and have recently just bought the last 2 of the preserved collection, so I now kinda feel that TSW2 was worth buying.

25. DeadlyDiddly

DeadlyDiddly New Member

Ok, so here's a question: So I got addicted to TSW 2020 soon after it appeared on Game Pass and have bought NTP for it. I'm now presuming if I buy TSW2 I'll get NTP for it too, but not GWE, MSB and LIRR as they''re only mine as long as I have Game Pass?

26. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

As you only own the NTP add-on and not the base TSW2020 game, I don't think it will transfer across to TSW2.
    You would need to own the base TSW2020 game for routes to transfer across as it's only rented through gamepass.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  27. ARuscoe

As Nick Y says, you need the base game license to get the DLC license transfers...

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  28. DeadlyDiddly

DeadlyDiddly New Member

Thanks chaps, I think I'll buy the TSW Collector's Edition then, as it's 20% off at the moment.

29. cameron.alexander.dumlao

cameron.alexander.dumlao Well-Known Member

I did get the routes I bought for real money like the Peninsula Corridor and the DB BR 204 but the routes I already had like Main Spessart Bahn, Northern Trans Pennine, LIRR, and Great Western Express those routes didn't come on to my tsw 2 I'm not sure if you get those routes for free on your tsw2 account or you just have to buy them separately.

30. ARuscoe

Depending on how you got them originally may affect how they transfer to TSW2
    I would suggest submitting a support ticket detailing what you bought, and how
    With discs, digital special editions etc there are several "paths" to obtaining the DLC in question