{poll} Trackir Worth It?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by steamfan, Jul 3, 2021.

1. steamfan

steamfan Member

I want to be more immersed in TS, and this TrackIR looks interesting.

I have a few questions:

1. Is TrackIR compatable with all TS DLC?
    2. Does TrackIR impact perforamce (fps)?
    3. Does TrackIR work well (fully supported)?
    4. Would you honestly reccomend it (worth the price)?
    5. Is TrackIR compatable with any other Train Simulators?

6. Are there any other products that make TS more immersive that are more affordable or worth the price?

2. Overcode

Overcode New Member

I've used TIR for a few years now and I think it's great, be aware that the Track Clip Pro bit (the thing that clips to your headphones) is rather fragile though.
    Wouldn't be without it for TS2021- supposed to be coming for TSW2 eventually.
    Works well out the box with little (if any) adjustment needed for TS2021 I've found, just use the smooth profile with no issues at all.
    No FPS hit as far as I can tell, well worth the price!

You can use it in head out passenger view too.

• Like Like x 1
  3. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Been hankering after this bit of kit for some while now, only the price puts me off for what it is physically.

4. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

As a TrackIR owner for around a decade I may be biased but you asked so..

1. Irrelevant question really because it's the same as asking is this mouse or keyboard compatible with every DLC, this question is answered by answer number three, but I'll answer it anyway TrackIR is definitely not impacted by any of the near 200 DLC I own.

2. Absolutely and definitively not, it's an I.R. camera and an LED (if you go for the pro or a reflective cap clip only if basic version) 3 point emitter and has its own separate software, nothing to do with the computing of this or any other game.

3. TrackIR isn't natively supported but does not require anything from TS to run anyway, you start the TrackIR software up prior to running TS and it works, as I'm writing this answer I guess in a way it is supported by TS as it works with in-cab view (1), head out cab view (Shift + 2) and passenger view (5) whereas in out side views (2,3,4,6 & 7) and free cam (8) you revert back to mouse control

3. It works flawlessly

4. Me personally a 100% yes, this tool is a game changer, no exaggeration, if you do get it you'll wonder why you didn't sooner. (my humble opinion)

5. It works on the World of Subways series, Trainz, I can't truly answer this question but I'd genuinely be surprised if it didn't work for all other Train Sims because it works flawlessly for me personally in the following games.
    TS20xx
    WoS
    ETS2
    ATS
    Farming Sim (all years)
    DayZ
    ARMA 3
    (and probably a few others I can't think of right now)
    for a list of supported games look here > TrackIR/games

6. There are cheaper and even free head tracking equivalents that use your webcam or PS3 eye camera, I tried FaceTrackNoIR before getting TrackIR but it was very early in development at the time, I do not know if it has improved but it was nowhere near as good or user friendly as TrackIR back then and Vjoy (software FaceTrackNoIR relies on to function) used to give me no end of trouble, Best answer I can give here is "Google is your friend"
    As for other products there is the RailDriver a cab controller and the new PBC and various modular switches over on Alan Thomsons site all come with differing opinions on immersion and realism I personally have the RailDriver and I like it so it was worth the money as far as I'm concerned.

Edit: To add on to Answer 6, this looks quite interesting though some report it's more fiddly to initially set up and calibrate than TrackIR, worth a look though > DelanClip

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  5. steamfan

steamfan Member

WOW, thanks for all the helpful info!
    Well, I don't think there's much else to say, I'm convinced!! :D

6. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Let us know how you get on with it.

7. trev123

trev123 Active Member

8. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

9. trev123

trev123 Active Member

Yes, it is. I'm comparing the two and saying that lots of people may not like track ir I know that I wouldn't.

10. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

NO.... It isn't!.... How on earth can you compare 3D glasses something that is directly visual, with TrackIR which is a UID, next you'll be telling me your monitor and your Xbox controller are the same thing.

I'm seriously wondering whether you even know what TrackIR is and what it actually does.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
  11. trev123

trev123 Active Member

Yes, I do know what it is and does. Even if I didn't I could easily look it up on the net. And I will also go by what I said it's not to everyone's liking.