Is It Coming Home?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tay95, Jul 3, 2021.

?
  1. It's coming home

50.9%
  2. Not a chance, on ya bike

49.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

61bnOsJFxLL._AC_SY450_.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  3. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

I think we were rubbing Germany’s nose in it by having two Borussia Dortmund players on the pitch at the end.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TheCadManFan

TheCadManFan Well-Known Member

It's not over 'til Southgate looses his cool

• Like Like x 1
  5. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

While I have never had any interest in football and am not watching any of the Euro, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the lads to bring it back home.

• Like Like x 2
  6. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Come on Italy :D

Also, did you know, the first ever Football club was in Edinburgh, Scotland?
    If it's coming home it would be going to an foster home :P (1824)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot-Ball_Club
    https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/oldest-football-club-world-16108088

Also, the oldest surviving football dates back to the year 1540, where is it from?
    Stirling Castle, Scotland

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-15348386
    https://www.smithartgalleryandmuseu...story-archaeology/the-worlds-oldest-football/

And reminder that the first International Match (as recognised by FIFA) was played in Glasgow.

So, is "home" the right word? :)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Is there a football tournament being played somewhere? I've been watching the cricket.

(Joking of course- apart from scant highlights you're more likely to get tiddlywinks on the telly than cricket these days.)

• Like Like x 1
  8. junior hornet

That's like saying Scotland were World champions because they beat England in 1967!

Bearing in mind that the article says that the game played in Edinburgh bears little relevance to football as we know it, I would still argue that Sheffield FC is the oldest.

The first International match was indeed in Glasgow and was a dour 0-0 draw between Scotland and England. That would never happen today, would it?

9. junior hornet

No, just tennis.

10. trainsimplayer

*Unofficial World Champions

Alright then, well let's think about this, Scotland invented the modern rules of the game, and the passing game.
    The English at this time played like rugby with feet, Run in a straight line, don't pass.

Hmm

• Like Like x 1
  11. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Live from Tow Law Working Men's Club, it's the tiddlywinks British Open....

We have been there, remember the 70's

12. JJTimothy

Huh- looked at a house in Tow Law last time we moved.

13. junior hornet

I’m old enough to remember Indoor League with Fred Trueman. It was terrible even then.

14. wombleway

wombleway Well-Known Member

We won the Six Nations, that's a much better game then this kickyball nonsense... Seems like the rules have changed since I was at school, as now it seems to involve falling over whenever an opponent comes close and then rolling around as if you've been hit by sniper fire!

• Like Like x 1
  15. trainsimplayer

To fair it was funny seeing Immobile (Italy) rolling about and then when the goal goes in he's fine.

I personally play in goal so I can't afford to do it, but I used to play defender and in those days I just got back up and chased the other guy (who fouled me) and just torment him by kicking the ball away.

Football is a fun game. Minus the $$$

• Like Like x 1
  16. wombleway

You couldn't have picked a player with a better name for that incident, it was ridiculous! Personally, I think players that are obviously making up injuries like that should be sent off, it's not sportsmanlike.

• Like Like x 1
  17. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

We seem to be building a team for the future which doesn't have the ego's of old. Whilst the likes of Gerrard and Lampard et al were undoubtedly excellent players they never seemed to be able do it as a team for England. I think Southgate is building a more cohesive team with maybe less household names, a bit like the Manchester Utd team of Giggs, Beckham and Scholes, the famous "you'll never win anything with kids" well if you give them time you will.

I think the press hasn't put so much pressure on this time, there was always an expectation from them. However, I suspect it is a bit soon yet and we will probably make the final and lose.

18. trainsimplayer

Yeah, apparently in Italy they are now calling it "an Immobile" if a player is doing that fake injury stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  19. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I only watch the Euros and the World Cup as for many years high level club football has meant nothing. There is no history to it and all the players are just purchased foreigners. There’s nothing to distinguish one team from another apart from a shirt and a stadium. It’s impossible to support a team when you know the players are bought from a global supermarket.

International football still means something as the players share something and come from somewhere. They are often playing for passion instead of the highest pay packet they can get in their club football. The team and the supporters are equals in their shared nationality and the history of the national team is still relevant. The England team are playing for the fans and are not owned by a foreign investment company that all the supporters hate.

England can win this tournament. It’s quite possibly coming home. Come on England! Then the players can all go to their agents and see how much more money they can get from a club somewhere other than in England and their football will mean nothing again until the next international.

20. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

I thought you were meant to run into the box and fall over? Also does anyone know what that round thing in the video is?

• Like Like x 2
  21. thundergaming11

thundergaming11 Well-Known Member

Me personally I'll never understand the excitement of watching people kick a ball for 90 minutes. But sure, great if we win and no big deal if we don't, but I find it frustrating when msm consistently give football coverage when there's a lot of other things going on in the world. I know many will disagree but like I say I just don't think I'll ever understand ;)

• Like Like x 2
  22. trainsimplayer

Football is life.
    To quote the Scottish Football Association/National Team;
    Nothing Matters More maxresdefault (2).jpg

23. wombleway

Pfft... Football's just a game, life is precious.

By all means, support your favourite team, get excited when they score (not something that happens too often with the Scottish team though, eh?!), but when all's said and done it's just 22 men running around after a bag of air for 90 minutes.

• Like Like x 1
  24. trainsimplayer

A beautiful game. :)
    Someone had to say it

25. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

You mean like train driving is basically just applying a throttle and brake at certain times whilst letting two strips on metal guide you to where you want to go.

it’s enough to make you wonder why we are all here on earth? When all is said and done one minute we are alive and the next we are dead.

Btw England are gonna win the Euros because England have their most talented squad of players for years.

• Like Like x 1
  26. theorganist

This thread is threatening to get very deep indeed.

I like football a lot, I love football manager on PC too but wouldn't go as far to say that it is that important, it is only a game but I wouldn't say it is all encompassing. But for many it is and I suppose they are as into their football as many of us are into trains or train simming.

I suppose our interests are what make us individual, I would love to hear what other members interests are outside of trains.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  27. trainsimplayer

I "like" this idea that because England have a good (not great, just plain "good" for me) means they will automatically win.

I can't wait until Italy (hopefully) beats England and see how this thread goes :D

• Like Like x 2
  28. JJTimothy

Sport isn't important in the same way that art isn't important but then both are important in the same way. Both can bring people together, be inspirational and aspirational and provide examples of excellence and creativity. Similarly both artists and sportsmen can be great role models.

...Or arseholes.

• Like Like x 3
  29. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

We all live vicariously to some extent, some more than others. Pretending to be a train driver or identifying with a sports team are ways of temporarily escaping from our normal "lives of quiet desperation".

• Like Like x 4
  30. junior hornet

I fully agree. I like nothing as well.

• Like Like x 2
  31. shhweeet#4292

First of all saying England are gonna win isn’t saying we are automatically going to win because obviously the games still have to be played. It’s just something fans of a team say not actually a statement to be taken literally. Sheeseesh!

If Italy do beat England then fair play they beat us that’s how this thread will go but tbh I think If Italy underestimate us they do so at their peril. But already you’ve given us the respect we deserve because we haven’t beaten Denmark yet! So for now that will do. ;)

32. wombleway

Yeah, but the way England fans bang on about football, you'd think the national team won major tournaments every other week... How long has football been coming home for? When that song came out, it had been 30 years since they won the World Cup - it's now 55 years and football still hasn't come home. I think it may have moved out and nobody's read the "Dear John" letter yet... ;)

33. trainsimplayer

"Dear John,

No.
    Yours, Football"

• Like Like x 2
  34. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

Your onto a winner here mate

• Like Like x 1
  35. trainsimplayer

Honestly if England get to the final they'll probably get ran off the park.

Italy will just attack until they get a goal then sit in.
    Because of how Italy defend England's style of playing Counters up the wing and crossing into someone like Harry Kane won't happen.

Because let's be real:
    England v Croatia was a struggle for England, as was Scotland* and Czechia

I ain't complaining :D

Ukraine are just... Ukraine and Germany were terrible at Wembley.

So is it really much to get your hopes up on?

Also note: Rio Ferdinand says "England could beat either of these (Italy/Spain) sides, the together-ness is unreal" or something like that.
    Did he watch the game? Italy and Spain should have been the final and nobody can change my mind on that. It was certainly worthy.

36. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

I agree . If England do make the final , I doubt they will score . Italy have only conceded 3 goals over the last 2 years , their defence are so hard to break down

• Like Like x 1
  37. TheCadManFan

TheCadManFan Well-Known Member

Same here, not a fan/supporter of any club, but some things are impossible to avoid. I don't go looking for the latest scores, they find me.

38. JJTimothy

I watched the last few minutes of the game against Germany because it was on when I turned the telly on. I was with my mum and I think we both said something like, "Mmm... Good" which is as close to football mania as anyone in my family is likely to get. Mum's from Liverpool (in fact my great uncle was, I think, club treasurer at one time) so I felt a slight interest in the Premier League last year but didn't go so far as to watch any matches or look for the scores.

I do however have to resist a strong compulsion to set Man. U. fans on fire...

• Like Like x 2
  39. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

A relative on my dad’s side of the family dated a future Liverpool manager (not telling you which one) when they were both teenagers.

Your final sentence, which I have not quoted, is the kind of despicable talk football fans get a bad reputation for and is why I would never tell anyone I don’t know what team I supported when I was younger. On one occasion a “friend” of mine decided to shout out what club I supported outside a nightclub in their rival city. Luckily nobody knew it was me he was shouting about but there was a gang ready to fight whoever it was. I had a lucky escape and from that day have never expressed a preference for any club, not that I care about club football at the highest levels any more, for this and the reasons I gave earlier. I don’t relish being assaulted as an adult for a decision of which football club to support when I was six years old.

• Like Like x 4
  40. shhweeet#4292

So it’s a crime to get behind your countries team and build them up a bit is it? I sense a bit of concern from some here that England have a squad to finally win something at long last.

Whats amusing me is there is someone on here banging on about how good Italy supposedly are and they are most likely to win the Euros ( Same as I said about England just in a different way ) and nothings aimed at him and his expectations?

Let’s be honest here Italy scraped through to the final last night on pens against a Spanish team that are well below par compared to what they used to be.

if England do make the final I’ll look forward to it because Italy whilst a decent team are certainly nothing to fear like Spanish, German, Portuguese, ITALIAN, teams etc of the past.

• Like Like x 1
  41. theorganist

I think it must take so much energy to be that bitter to be honest.

Yes there are many vocal and some very embarrassing England fans out there, especially some of the ones who follow the team abroad, I am sure many have seen the documentaries.

However it is only a minority who behave in this way, so to tar all those who support England, whether travelling supporters or those whom are watching from their sofa is both lazy and wide off the mark, you are tarring the millions who support their national team. Among those whom I know will be cheering on England tonight from their living rooms are a doctor, teachers, accountants, several classical musicians, members of the clergy and a bishop, not the stereotypical supporters some people seem to want to believe most England fans are!

Maybe we will lose to Italy, I think it is quite likely as I don't think we are quite there yet and that is assuming we will beat Denmark which shouldn't be a foregone conclusion. But at least we have progressed as a team and without some of the big egos of the past, many who were great players but couldn't make a team!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  42. shhweeet#4292

I agree 100% with you but it’s not football that’s to blame but the increasingly numb mindset of some members of the human race who use football, religion, and whatever else to push their hate. Unfortunately a mindset that is constantly on the increase more and more these days.

I refuse to condemn football, religion, and whatever else just because some morons want to use whatever to push their hateful bile / actions. Doing that just let’s them win.

I like football and I’m certainly not ashamed to admit it.

• Like Like x 1
  43. shhweeet#4292

:(
    What!? So if a particular fan or group of fans of whoever want to cheer loudly, build their team up towards whoever, display their loyalty no matter how crass you think it is, sing some football anthems, and generally get excited about the chances the team they support might have means they are bitter?????

Behave yourself will you! You might be happy to live in a world that’s grey and soulless where people are afraid to express their passion, loyalty, excitement, and interest, I’m not! So count me out on that one.

Edit… Oh! and btw England fans can support England in whichever way they want either quietly or vocally it’s all the same to me. I certainly wasn’t tarring every England fan with the same brush and for you to insinuate that I was is just plain dam! rude. :mad:

44. theorganist

I was actually agreeing with you. The bitter comment was referring to certain comments further up the page!

• Like Like x 1
  45. trainsimplayer

Fun Fact: Greece have won as many major tournaments as England.

In other words: get prepared for yet another failure :D

• Like Like x 1
  46. wombleway

Of course not... I honestly think you're taking this far too seriously, and looking to be offended by anyone slightly disagreeing with you... You've even had a go at someone who was supporting your posts!

I know I come across as a bit of a football Grinch, but I have my reasons... I really couldn't care less who wins or loses, but I know that if England should win by some minor miracle, we'll never hear the end of it... as I said, it's close to 60 years since they won the World Cup, but the way some big up the team you'd think they won it every time there's an international game.

On a more serious note, as an ex-copper, I used to hope that every England game ended in a 0-0 draw, as that was statistically the safest score meaning we'd have fewer domestic violence calls that evening. A win was the next best result, but a loss, particularly on a hot day when more alcohol then usual would've been consumed was something we really didn't want. Strangely, the result hardly ever mattered in any other sport, but footie... Ah, the beautiful game. As I said, I have my reasons for not being a fan of the sport.

That aside, I sincerely hope you enjoy the game this evening. Whatever the result though, it is just a game.

• Like Like x 3
  47. shhweeet#4292

In which case I apologise and withdraw my comments towards you. it’s just it didn’t read like that.

• Like Like x 1
  48. trainsimplayer

You sure you don't mean major :D

49. shhweeet#4292

Oh right! So what are you going to say if we win it then?

It was a fluke?

50. theorganist

I did go off on a bit of a tangent which I do sometimes and often without the desired results! I was just trying to point out clumsily that you hear all these stories about England fans and how awful they are and I was just trying to correct the stereotype. Not that there is anything wrong with cheering on your team, just that the press and others seem to find all the idiots and portray them as the norm.

I do wonder why supporters of some of the other nations expend so much energy in wanting England to do badly yet don't seem to worry about their own teams poor performance. Personally if any of the other "home nations" were playing in a competition I would be cheering them on. A couple of Wales supporting friends delight in telling me how they love the world cup or European cup as they have X number of teams to support, but rarely their own!

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.