New *timetable* Editor

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by SpDrS42, Jul 5, 2021.

1. SpDrS42

SpDrS42 Member

Hello. Since today it was shown on YouTube how timetables are created, I wonder what this will bring for the community if there is no suitable editor.
    So I would suggest: Instead of showing superfluous streams how to create timetables with internal software, you should use the time in developing a powerful timetable editor. Given the absurd sales prices, the community should be worth it to you.
    And do it for free, otherwise there is a fraud called "usury"

• Like Like x 3
  2. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Ok, for a first post that is quite aggresive.

This stream (still ongoing as of now) is showing the player base how the official timetable is made.
    There isn't fraud involved, ain't sure where you are getting that one from.

• Like Like x 7
  3. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The stream was two hours long with maybe a couple more hours to plan it. It would take a lot longer to make a timetable editor. What the stream gives us is an interesting insight into the process involved. Many players will have enjoyed it.

I don’t think not having a free timetable editor can be described as usury. I’d look up what that word means if I were you.

• Like Like x 9
  4. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

After I have seen how complex this is - NO. Absolutely no. I really don't think the community needs this tool. In the way it is right now hardly anyone could really use it. And it's a bit laughable that you want them to develop powerful, complex tools but then demand it should be for free.

• Like Like x 5
  5. trainsimplayer

This tbh

• Like Like x 2
  6. SpDrS42

SpDrS42 Member

Sorry, but I have often drawn the support's attention to various errors, written reviews, but nothing has happened to this day. Slowly enough, I spent 300 € on Train Sim World 2 (others certainly a lot more), but mistakes are never corrected, not even over 2 years. The DLCs are released unfinished just because the company see the money. In any case, I would like to create my own content in a game called "Simulator" with certain editors - similar to the old Train Simulator.
    And what does that bring for the customer, besides showing how great DTG is and what justifies the high prices? I cannot understand this line of reasoning.
    They could also just publish these tools. You don't have to use it if you are unable to use an Excel file. Nobody forces you to do that.

7. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

... the excel file is for sure not the only step.

• Like Like x 3
  8. SpDrS42

SpDrS42 Member

All the relevant data for the individual routes is there. Start, finish, stops on the way, times, tracks ...

9. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

It was quite an interesting behind the scenes look at what goes into building a timetable. That’s all. Why would you want to edit a real timetable anyway?

• Like Like x 2
  10. SpDrS42

SpDrS42 Member

Very simple: There are also other timetables that could be reproduced on a route, for example from other years.

11. trainsimplayer

Exactly, it's a simulator, not Transport Fever.

It's showing us (the players) how much effort goes into making these things. People like you on the other hand seem to see it as a "see why you should give us money?" When it is anything but.

That still doesn't explain how it's fraud. Oh wait, it isn't.

• Like Like x 4
  12. SpDrS42

SpDrS42 Member

That's not an argument. In Transport Fever there is no possibility to create your own timetables, the trains only run at one cycle. Transport Fever and Train Sim World are completely different games. One is an economic simulation, the other is intended to represent a driving simulation.
    You are not interested in my opinion at all, because you are stuck in your opinion. When I have to pay € 235.90 for seven routes and four locomotives, that's usury. Especially when the customer has absolutely no way of creating their own content after the purchase, except with the scenario editor and livery designer, both of which, however, are of very limited use and designed in a rudimentary manner.

What is now getting on my nerves, is that nobody at Dovetail Games takes a position on critical comments. (And no, that doesn't have to happen here in this thread, given the amount of requests, but at least with one or the other topic that would be quite nice.)

13. trainsimplayer

that's the point.
    It is intended to represent a driving simulation. Drivers don't make timetables.
    Congrats, you shot your own arguement down, good day.
    Oh, and, for TPF2, there is a timetable mod, and the new update allows for waiting time control so yeah, there kinda is.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  14. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Okay, I hate using this argument, but if the price is too high for you, don't buy it. It is that simple.

Yes, TSW is a driving simulation, not a timetabling simulation. Also in Transport Fever mods for creating timetables are available.

I understand where you're coming from, as I too would love the ability to create my own timetables (and better scenarios and my own routes and maybe even locos). But at the end of the day TSW is not that game (yet?), and you shouldn't expect it to be when you spend money on it. If you spend money on TSW your paying for what it is currently, and you're not entitled to things that aren't in game or announced to be coming to the game. I spent even more on TSW (yeah, an issue perhaps), but when I did that I knew what I was payong for: a route and/or loco within game, including everything listed on the steam store page and nothing more. To me that has been worth the price as I'm getting hours of entertainment out of it, although I fully understand that for some it won't be worth the money.

If you really want these tools, I suggest you'd make suggestions on how you'd like to see them implemented, and why instead of ranting. And then still, there won't be a guarantee we'll ever see them until they day they actually are in game, which might be never.

Also, I did really enjoy the stream, it gave a nice insight into the process creating timetables. To me that stream was a nice bit of (free) entertainment.

Lastly DTG does actually respond to critical comments, albeit less than I'd like to see. After the release of the RT and LIRR updates, aswell as HHL, there was a lot of negative feedback. They responded to that with honesty, saying that quality was indeed far below what it should be, and they released fixes not much later. I won't say that there isn't a lot of improvement to be made in that regard though, as their responses on the wrong Dosto issue on HHL and the absence of an IC cab car with the BR 101 still feel lackluster to me, but that is a whole other topic.

• Like Like x 4
  15. dasmith1

dasmith1 Active Member

This is just laughable

• Like Like x 4
  16. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

"The action or practice of lending money at unreasonably high rates of interest." DTG aren't lending you any money so it's not usury. Literally 2 seconds on google would have made you sound like less of an idiot.
    What? Do you know what your on about?
    That's called buying a product not lending money (not usury, Google it). You do not have to pay €235.90, no one is making you buy anything therefor you do not have to pay anything, you can also wait for a sale and pay less. It's your fault you've spent money, don't say its fraud.

Also new account just to complain? Probably just a troll.

• Like Like x 5
  17. trainsimplayer

Watch, if you say something he doesn't like they'll start blaming you!

But yeah, the term "Usury" doesn't fit the bill at all.
    They probably just came across it on the internet and thought they'd use it to sound smart.

18. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

Ohh no, I better get my fingers ready for some fact Googling!

• Like Like x 1
  19. lukereynolds1

lukereynolds1 Well-Known Member

Watching the stream for me was a real eye opener. The complexity involved and the time taken really goes to show what a difficult task it is, and how DTG do not shy away from basing their timetables on real data. The easy option would be to us an autopopulate tool, and it's a credit to DTG that they do not choose such an approach.

It also showed me the complexity involved in resolving bugs. One small data input mistake at the beginning could potentially have severe consequences later. Time tabling is just one aspect of the game. Now add all of the different complexities and variables involved, and there is a lot of skill in ensuring it runs smoothly. It also goes to show just how much work must go into fixing bugs.

Great stream.

• Like Like x 4