Ecml: Edinburgh - Dundee

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by trainsimplayer, Jul 6, 2021.

?
  1. Yes

94.7%
  2. No Opinion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No

5.3%
  1. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Introduction
    The East Coast Mainline (ECML) is one of Britain's busiest and most important lines, stretching from London, Capital of England, to Aberdeen and Glasgow, Scotland, via the Scots Capital of Edinburgh, the ECML is a key corridor for all things passenger.
    The route I am suggesting today sees the non-electrified but still stunning section between Edinburgh Waverley & Dundee

Experience the East Coast Mainline, Britain's InterCity mainline connecting London, Edinburgh and the Scottish Highlands, Operate the Modern Class 800 Bi-mode units, and operate the Class 170 & Class 158 DMUs, and the Classic BR Class 43 in the wonderful Inter7City livery.

Rolling Stock
    I know 4 Included trains is a lot, but I'll explain shortly.
    Included:
    Class 800 'IET' (LNER Azuma)
    (Featuring the Wonderful Scottish Livery, as seen below)

download (23).jpeg
    Class 170 'Turbostar' (Scotrail)
    unnamed (3).jpg
    Class 158 'Sprinter Express' (Scotrail)
    09wunl7yfho51.jpg
    Class 43 'HST' (Scotrail Inter7City & LNER)
    59db522e5a9e4c5fadc353f25066560e.png

lner-43367-pboro1-may29_w555_h555.jpg

Now, I do realise that 4 trains is a bit much, but I feel personally that this route deserves it. The route is so scenic and Is stuffing, and fully deserves everything it can get.
    And, the HST does make use of the pre-existing HST Shell etc.
    Potential DLC:
    Class 73/9 (Caledonian Sleeper)

Operates a limited Sleeper service along the line.

Class 43 Reskin & Scenario pack
    Pack of Reskins for the Class 43, adds Cross Country services (if the license is sorted), and a few "heritage" liveries, with a scenario set around a "heritage" day with the classic HST Liveries going around Fife.

Class 68 (Scotrail)
    Operates some Scotrail services around the Fife Circle etc.

Layers (In)
    N/A

Layers (Out)
    The Class 170 & Class 158 could both be added as AI Layers onto Glasgow Cathcart Circle.

The Class 800 could also be re-used on Cathcart, representing the 1tpd LNER service to Glasgow.

Re-use of Rolling Stock:

(From other routes)

The class 43 (LNER/SR) would both make use of the pre-existing Shell of the Class 43, from Great Western Express.

(From this route)
    Class 158

The Class 158 could be reused on other routes as the Class 158 or Modified into a Class 159.
    This could see use on routes on the Scotrail, Northern, South-West, Great Western, East Midlands, Trans-pennine, Wales etc. Networks.

The class 158 could (possibly) be re-used on West Cornwall Local, in the appropriate livery.

Class 170
    The Class 170 can be used on the Scotrail, Northern, South-West, Southern, Anglian, East Midland, West Midland, Wales, Cross-Country, London Overground & Chiltern Networks, with potential conversion to the Class 171, 168, & 172/0 or /1.

Class 43
    The Class 43 could be re-used all across the National Rail network, From Aberdeen to Cornwall

Class 800
    Can be re-used as any IET locos, across numerous Operators.

Stations

SR = Scotrail (Regional/Commuter)
    LNER = LNER
    I7C = Inter7City
    CS = Caledonian Sleeper (DLC Only)
    XC = Cross Country (DLC Only)

Edinburgh - Dundee (59¼ miles)
    Edinburgh Waverley (SR, LNER, I7C, CS, XC)
    Haymarket (SR, LNER, I7C, XC)

(Leaves Glasgow lines)
    South Gyle (SR)
    Edinburgh Gateway (for Edinburgh Airport) (SR, I7C)
    Dalmeny (SR)
    North Queensferry (SR)
    Inverkeithing (SR, LNER, I7C, CS, XC)
    (Fife Circle branches off)
    Dalgety Bay (SR)
    Aberdour (SR)
    Burntisland (SR)
    Kinghorn (SR)
    Kirkcaldy (SR, LNER, I7C, CS, XC))
    (Fife Circle Branches Off) Glenrothes w/ Thornton (SR)
    Markinch (SR, I7C, XC)
    Ladybank (SR, I7C, XC)
    (Perth Branch seperated from Dundee Line)
    Springfield (SR)
    Cupar (SR, LNER, I7C, XC)
    Leuchars (SR, LNER, I7C, CS, XC)
    (Tay Bridge)
    Dundee (SR, LNER, I7C, CS, XC)

Ladybank - Dundee via Perth (unknown, ~15 Mi)

Ladybank (SR, I7C)
    Perth (SR)
    Invergowrie (SR)

Entire Line: ~68 Miles/21 Stations

Services

Scotrail ('Commuter') (Class 158/170)
    • 1tph Edinburgh Waverley - Glenrothes with Thornton (Calling All Stations except South Gyle)
    • 1tph Edinburgh - Edinburgh via Fife (Calling all stations except Edinburgh Gateway.), Terminates at Glenrothes (If going Anti-Clockwise) and at Inverkeithing (Clockwise)
    • 1tph Edinburgh - Cowdenbeath (Same Stations as above) Terminates at Inverkeithing
    Scotrail ('Intercity') (Class 158/170)
    • 1tph Edinburgh - Arbroath (Dundee) (Calling at; Haymarket, Gateway, Inverkeithing, Kirkcaldy, Markinch, Ladybank, Springfield, Cupar, Leuchars & Dundee)
    • 4tpd Glasgow Q. Street (Perth) - Dundee (Calling at; Perth & Invergowrie (and Dundee of course)
    • 1tph Edinburgh - Perth (5tpd to Inverness, makes no service difference in-game) (Calling at; Haymarket, Gateway, Inverkeithing, Kirkcaldy, Markinch, Ladybank, Perth) (Shared with Inter7City)
    Scotrail (Inter7City) (Class 43 I7C)
    • 1tph Edinburgh - Aberdeen (Dundee) (Calling at Haymarket, Cupar, Leuchars, Dundee)
    • 1tph Glasgow Queen Street (Perth) - Aberdeen (Dundee) (no stops between Perth & Dundee)
    • 1tph Edinburgh - Perth (5tpd to Inverness, makes no service difference in-game) (Calling at; Haymarket, Gateway, Inverkeithing, Kirkcaldy, Markinch, Ladybank, Perth) (Shared with 'Intercity')
    London Northeastern Railway (Class 800, Class 43 LNER)
    • 4tpd London Kings X - Aberdeen (Calling all LNER Stations, 1/4 trains are from Leeds)
    Caledonian Sleeper (DLC Only, Class 73/9)
    • 1tpd London Euston (Edinburgh) - Aberdeen (Dundee) (Calling at; Inverkeithing, Kirkcaldy, Leuchars, Dundee)
    Cross Country (HST Pack only)
    • 1tpd Dundee - Plymouth (Edinburgh) Calling at XC Stations
    • 1tpd Aberdeen (Dundee) - Penzance (Edinburgh) Same stops as above.
    AI Services
    A lot of these trains start as AI services before reaching the in-game start point, and it would be good to be able to spawn a few minutes before the train arrives and see it pull in.

There are also some non-player AI services, namely the AI Scotrail's to Tweedbank. And LNER services towards London that Terminate at Edinburgh.

Depot
    The Haymarket Depot sees ECS operations, involving the Scotrail Stock.

Final Words

So why this route?
    Well I have wanted this route for a while, and I did suggest it in the past, however this is a remastered version, with more details etc.
    I also seen a cab ride video on the line (albeit to Aberdeen) posted by another user, and decided to suggest it. It also lets us see the stunning scenery of Fife, and two wonderful pieces of Engineering, the Forth & Tay bridges.

As for Rolling Stock; The Class 43 Is a classic train which somehow is only on one route. And, due to the fact both Scotrail and LNER had/have them, it makes for good use.

As for the Classes 170 & 158, these trains operate most Scotrail services up these lines, and these trains set up routes all over the UK.

And the 800 is part of the highly-requested IET/AT300 Family of trains, alongside the Class 395. And the 800 sets-up InterCity routes all over the UK, along with the 43.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 11
  2. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Even though this section sadly doesn't see the electric Class 91 (which is one of my favourites), I'd still love to see any part of LNER's network :).

• Like Like x 2
  3. twiggy#9635

twiggy#9635 Well-Known Member

I won’t lie, you had me at Azuma

• Like Like x 2
  4. thomastl59374

thomastl59374 Well-Known Member

Its a nice mix of new and older ECML stock plus a choice of commuter trains, meaning quite a bit of variation which is what I like.

• Like Like x 2
  5. trainsimplayer

Thought I'd add some images for a little flavour of the route.
    Dundee's new Concourse/Station Entrance Dundee_train_station_c_dundee_city_council.jpg KMil_Station-1-1.jpg-1.jpg
    Perth Station 0_JS26191463.jpg
    Forth Bridge (UNESCO World Heritage site, by the way) Forth-Bridge-1024x683.jpg
    Tay Bridge (2nd) Taybridge_from_law_02SEP05.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

You had me at Edinburgh in the title, should I read the post before I say I want it? Na it's in Scotland so would be a pre-order from me regardless of what, when or exactly where it is :)

Edit: read the suggestion and it's very good, I stand by what I've said above! :)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Wolfovizer

With the official LNER tartan! A beauty! :)
    And would be able to be converted from the GWR HST like the real trains. :)
    Don't forget Inverness, even further north of Aberdeen. I love Scotland, the highlands even further north than the north but not as far north as the far north. Another fun fact Scotland is the furthest north country without any part of it being in the artic circle.

Edit: have I just got too excited about something not even in the game? Na.
    Edit edit: yes. Yes I have.

• Like Like x 1
  8. trainsimplayer

I have to agree, the LNER Tartan is a wonderful livery design
    Yep, would give DTG the full experience :P
    It feels like the arctic sometimes I can say that :D

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
  9. Wolfovizer

I don't need telling that, 2 1/2 hours to do a 10 minute trip last winter and got snowed in, 3 weeks before I could use my drive!
    Back on topic.
    EuPwT4eXAAgOKKo-1-620x349.jpg
    A pair or two of these would be a great addition, with a snow ploughing scenario, that would be incredibly fun. "Snowed Under" possibly a name?
    https://twitter.com/NetworkRailSCOT/status/1361196373366996992
    https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/f...e-6ft-high-drifts-on-north-east-railway-line/

10. trainsimplayer

Found the video again.
    Thanks to chieflongshin for posting it originally.

LNER Azuma: Edinburgh - Aberdeen.

• Like Like x 1
  11. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

This one of those classic train simulator 21 routes that must be in train simulator world 2 including the fife circle route because this route and Fife Circle Line go on to the iconic Forth Rail Bridge also in TS21

12. tibomatthijs

tibomatthijs Well-Known Member

great suggestion, this is a really cool route so i hope it will come to TSW!

• Like Like x 2
  13. lrodoteuk#4757

lrodoteuk#4757 New Member

Wouldn't mind it I would consider it as the next route add-on for Scotrail

• Like Like x 2