Multiplayer: The Suggestion

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by trainsimplayer, May 26, 2021.

1. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Ok, it's multiplayer.
    "Yeah they know think of something original"
    How many times have you seen posts like this: "add multiplayer plz" end of.
    Well I'm here to add a little life to it, go into detail and try and sell the idea to you and hopefully dovetail.
    Want me to add anything to this post? I've got a thread for that in Off-Topic, please try not use this thread to post suggestions.

Contents
    The Game

• Lobby Set-up
    • Getting into a game
    • In Game
    Roles
    • Dispatching
    • Guarding
    • Conducting
    • Driving
    • Passenger
    Other
    • Misc. Suggestions
    • Cross-platform Play
    • Split-Screen
    • The use of Livery Designer & Scenario Planner

Setup
    In TSW2: Multiplayer, you can select Multiplayer from any route you own, and still play other routes in multiplayer; 2021-05-26 (3).png (1).jpg
    Once you get there you can choose between Creating a game and Joining One.
    Joining a game
    If you are invited by a friend, you would join however you usually do (For example, on Xbox you would do this via the Xbox Menus or the Notification).
    However for Public Lobbies, you can join via this menu 2021-05-26 (6).png.png
    All Public Games are shown here.
    Any game which is set as Private is hidden, until made public, if made public.
    As you can see with the LIRR Example, some games are 'incompatible' meaning you do not own the content within the server.
    Until the DLC(S) on a route are confirmed, that game cannot be joined.
    All other games are open to join, provided they have room.
    Scenario Planner Lobbies are only able to use locos from that route in the planner.
    Creating a game
    If you choose to create a game you will be treated to a menu like this: 2021-05-26 (8).png
    As you can see, the Host chooses the Route from their route list.
    Once the route is chosen, you toggle the Locos, as you can see they sit underneath the route image.
    Once you press confirm, you continue to the Settings section, here you choose the other things, as you can see.
    Once those are confirmed the other buttons open up, and you get started.
    Once this is all over, you are all set to go, and you now choose the
    Roles
    Nice Transition, amirite?
    Dispatching
    You choose your spawn point the way you would if you were on foot.
    You don't begin Dispatching until choose to, so feel free to take a ride to the big terminus before starting.
    Once you are there, you begin by selecting a blue marker.
    Now you get the mission marker in the top-right.
    This tells you what train you are dispatching at what platform and when.
    When you arrive, see out the remainder of the Loading/Unloading Proceedure and then - after checking the signal - blow your whistle for the driver to Close the doors.
    Double-check the doors are shut, and raise your baton to signal it is clear to depart.
    Once the train is on its way, you will get the points for mission complete and off you go to the next platform.
    Guarding
    I think I shouldn't need to describe guarding to you.
    Similarly to Dispatching, you may spawn in on foot, however you can also spawn in on a service.
    Here is how that works if you spawn on foot:
    2021-07-02 (5).png 2021-07-02 (3).png.jpg
    Pay close attention to the top left here.
    Instead of Dispatcher's who stay at stations, you (obviously) continue with your driver.
    This - more than dispatching - i believe is possible, as things like Guards Buzzers are already working buttons in game.
    Just the Whistle Systems and Batons would need to be made.
    But anyway, I don't need to run through guarding.
    Conductor/Ticket Inspector
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/ticket-inspector-mode-deepfake.39854/

Driver
    Same as usual, except you have to interact with Dispatchers and Guards etc.
    I'd like to draw attention to a point made by AirbourneAlex about Shared Controls, which would allow players to switch over, this would be interesting to have, as you could simulate driver swaps on longer routes. This would work via a pop-up requesting transfer. For obvious reasons (like button miss-clicks due to operation) this would be restricted unless the train is stopped. To avoid trolling.

Other
    Misc. Suggestions
    [Filler incase this ever comes to use]
    Cross-platform Play
    As saltychipz#3569 said in the related Off-Topic forum, Cross-Platform play is a big one.
    I have had a long think about this since I found this thread again.
    I think Cross-platform is possible. Now I would understand the issues with this and would understand if it didn't come at first, but it would be good to see.

Split-Screen
    This one is one that came to mind but I doubt.
    Split-screen would be a good alternative for 2 people on 1 device (well, duh) however I don't know how it would work in TSW. So put this in the "maybe" drawer.

Livery Designer & Scenario Planner
    If you look at the concept art closer again, you'll notice Scenario Planner & Livery Designer are mentioned.

There are one way I can think of to do Livery Designer, when enabled you select what liveries you wish to have on and you then do a live-share of the liveries. Albeit you don't get this livery permanently, only whilst in the session. This would trigger a small wait whilst the liveries sync.

As for scenario planner this would involve the server operating the custom timetable. This could involve the Host syncing the Scenario (like the liveries) and the entire lobby having access to the schedule etc.

Due to the limitations of DLC, Off the Rails mode would have to be restricted.

Notes:
    Controls used are Xbox as that is my chosen device.
    Things like Dispatching etc in this suggestion are based on the UK. If it is different elsewhere then that can be changed.
    Want to suggest something to be added to this thread? https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...ike-to-see-if-multiplayer-ever-arrived.40805/ is your place.
    Thanks for reading.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 30
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  2. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

I think suggestions should be checked by DTG before they add them as threads , it is ridiculous the amount of suggestions which are just like ‘ I think dtg should add the London Underground to TSW2 . People need to understand that this won’t get them anywhere . At least there are some forums users I am aware of that consistently make detailed suggestions , like trainsimplayer . We appreciate the detail

• Like Like x 12
  3. Yoinkermcskoinker

Yoinkermcskoinker Well-Known Member

The level of time and effort you have put into this post is incredible, I really hope that someone from DTG sees this and starts taking notes.

Last edited: May 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Haven’t we already had a multiplayer suggestion thread today?

5. MrSouthernDriver

MrSouthernDriver Well-Known Member

I definitely do love this concept I think this is what it should look like, hopefully someone from DTG takes notice of this and feeds this back, amazing suggestion I am in

• Like Like x 5
  6. Yoinkermcskoinker

Yoinkermcskoinker Well-Known Member

Yeah but did they say this much and put this much effort into the post?

7. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

At least as a basic form of multiplayer we could have a shared drive option whereby one player is granted the controls and the other can sit on the second man's side and watch. An option to request to switch to driver and a grand permission option from the driving player would allow them to swap between driving fairly, or by simply getting up and swapping seats when stationary. Only two persons but it at least would be a start.

• Like Like x 3
  8. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I know you said you would ignore suggestions on this page but I’m not going to another page to point out that one of the roles that could be part of multiplayer is, oh I don’t know, driving the trains. Just a thought, ignore it if you like.

• Like Like x 1
  9. trainsimplayer

It's a good thing I didn't, I got so tied up in the suggestions I was outlining I forgot the core part ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. trainsimplayer

1. It's Stepford County Railway
    2. It's similar, however I took no reference from the game nor did it fuel my decision to make this.

11. trainsimplayer

And I always appreciate the feedback I get on my suggestions, I was looking back at some of my older ones and the lack of detail sometimes makes me concerned, even though it was me when I had just joined the forums, mind that my Edinburgh - Glasgow Suggestion got 50+ votes in my poll related to it, so I should really get round to remaking that. Screenshot_20210523_103942.jpg
    Anyway again I appreciate any feedback I get, negative or positive.

12. finntd#7891

finntd#7891 Well-Known Member

I mostly envisioned MP as a Sandbox esq. mode with either online or Split screen so maybe that could be incorporated into this.
    But seriously High quality Suggestion hope it stays on top

• Like Like x 2
  13. trainsimplayer

Split-Screen actually didn't cross my mind, however I think that, unlike online there may be more challenges with that.

14. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

Maybe next year, watching DTG will join multiplayer games?

• Like Like x 1
  15. trainsimplayer

I think that Multiplayer has the potential to help the game grow as well, after all, I have outlined how the thing would work, all it would need would be the implementation, however the support for Multiplayer remains high
    After all, after this year's update and Steam, I think this could be a serious contender.
    Along with (as I have suggested before) a reworked Livery Designer and Consist Editor.

• Like Like x 1
  16. finntd#7891

finntd#7891 Well-Known Member

come thread Page 2 is no where to die

• Like Like x 1
  17. CrazyDash

CrazyDash Well-Known Member

I do like your view on multiplayer. However I feel like you should have talked about potential issues with multiplayer and how they can be avoided. As someone who has played Stepford County Railway Roblox, there are a lot of things that can go wrong with a multiplayer in TSW2. The main issue is inexperienced players and trolls. There could be people who have almost no experience driving particular routes, people who are intentionally going over the speed limit and trying to derail, dispatchers or guards who don't do anything and hold up traffic. There are other issues, but I feel like you should have mentioned these potential issues

• Like Like x 2
  18. trainsimplayer

If you have a closer look at my concepts, you'll notice a kick button in the Create Game section.
    It would be possible for the game host to access this via pause.
    Also, comparing a potential TSW Multiplayer to SCR is almost sarcastic. SCR is Roblox, I mean come on.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  19. cxsmax#1736

cxsmax#1736 Member

cool i like multplayer

20. Pinguinie

Pinguinie Active Member

Haititai together,

Since the tutorial system was mentioned in the last stream, and there for ideas, I have another one on the beloved topic:

multiplayer The tutorial could have two modes: Generally: The train driver has a problem with his vehicle.

For example he / she doesn't get it started.

Now the person in the game has a "Help" button with different options:

For example:
    1) I can't get the train on.
    1.1. ) Here the player can set what kind of help is needed I have to go.
    2) Zug can be taken over. 3)
    I want someone to be my passenger. .....
    Etc.

Version 1) now offers two options:

The "ghost mod"
    Another player can join the player's lobby. He has no further rights except to use the control panel. As a ghost, however, he can only tap the buttons - this is displayed to the player and can operate the button. This continues until the player can drive the train. The Gost player can now say goodbye again.

The "player mod" The player spawns normally in the world next to the train. The doors can be opened and he can get in. Now the player goes to the other player in the driver's cab and can possibly sit next to it or on the main seat. There the player starts the train until it is ready to go.

Now the player who needed the help can decide whether he wants to drive again or not.
    If so, the other player will be expelled from the seat and can take on other roles (controller) - or leave the lobby again.

The whole thing would completely revise the tutorial system and players who help others get points that they can then somehow exchange. For example, against steamer achievements, forum ranks, special paintwork, Deley can "improve" these with points (for medals) etc. That would revolutionize the whole system and would also have a community connection.

-----

Haititai zusammen,

da bei den letzten Streams das Tutorial-System angesprochen wurde, und dort nach ideen, habe ich hier mal wieder eine zum geliebten Thema: Multiplayer

Das Tutorial könnte zwei Modi haben:

Allgemein:
    Der Zugführer hat ein Problem mit seinem Fahrzeug.
    Beispielsweise er/sie bekommt es nicht gestartet.
    Nun hat die Person Ingame einen "Help" Button mit verschiedenen Auswahlmöglichkeiten:
    Beispielsweise:
    1) Ich bekomme den Zug nicht an.
    1.1. ) Hier kann der Spieler einstellen, welche Art von Hilfe benötigt wird
    Ich muss weg. Zug kann Übernommen werden.
    Ich möchte jemand als Beifahrer haben.
    etc.

Variante 1)
    bietet nun zwei Möglichkeiten:

Der "Geister-Mod"
    Ein Mitspieler kann in die Lobby des Spielers beitreten.
    Dieser hat keine weitere Rechte außer das Steuerpult zu nutzen.
    Als Geist kann er die Tasten jedoch nur antippen - dies wird dem Spieler angezeigt und kann die Taste bedienen.
    Dies geht solange, bis der Spieler den Zug fahren kann. Der Gost-Spieler kann sich nun wieder verabschieden.

Der "Spieler-Mod"
    Der Spieler spawnt ganz normal in der Welt neben den Zug.
    Die Türen können geöffnet werden und er kann einsteigen.
    Nun geht der Spieler zum anderen Spieler in den Führerstand und kann sich ggf. daneben setzen oder auf den Hauptsitz.
    Dort startet der Spieler den Zug so, bis dieser Fahrtbereit ist.

Nun kann der Spieler, der die Hilfe brauchte, entscheiden, ob er wieder selbst fahren möchte oder nicht. Falls ja, wird der andere Spieler vom Platz verwiesen und kann andere Rollen (Kontrolleur) übernehmen - oder eben die Lobby wieder verlassen.

Das ganze würde das Tutorial-System komplett überarbeiten und Mitspieler, die anderen eben helfen, bekommen Punkte die sie dann irgendwie eintauschen können. Beispielsweise gegen Steamerrungenschaften, Forenränge, spezielle Lackierungen, Bei Deley diese durch die Punkte "verbessern" können (für Medaillen) etc.

Das würde das ganze System revolutionieren und hätte auch noch einen community-Bezug.

• Like Like x 1
  21. trainsimplayer

I like your thinking with this. Sounds like a good idea.

22. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Really excellent idea and for Rush Hour routes Brighton Main Line Riesa-Dresden Dresden to create what they are in real life like Boston Providence having delays at Mansfield due to a Providence train that must terminate at Gillette Stadium for a New England Patriots Game. For Brighton Main Line Player 1 & Player 2 are together till Haywards Heath Player 1 separates the Brighton Train from Player 2 Eastbourne or Bognor Regis service to which they drive it off. The inbound service towards Player 1 arrives first then player 2 couples behind to form a Victoria service from separate trains.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Pinguinie

Pinguinie Active Member

Maybe a little food for thought for those who believe it would not be feasible:

You can see from the private TruckersMP (ETS2 / ATS) that it is relatively "easy" to implement. These have a "GameMaster" mode, where employees volunteer to help. Now SCS has followed suit and has now brought it together with KI / AI in private lobbies. So there is not a single reason why an MP should not work in the pull area

A better example of OpenWorld map and help system is e.g. The Division 2. There you also press a button and others can enter and exit the lobby. Such an idea is therefore not that debilitating.

Or let's take the game Construction Simulator 2015. Already almost a decade ago there was a perfectly functioning multiplayer mode. The alternation of drivers, controllers, or just as it was written, "I'll go to stop XY and take a train there" would be awesome. Then you wouldn't need to think about any performance problems because of too many passengers, because whether 5 or 50 people get on it doesn't matter to the MP. There are automatically delays in the operational process with real players.

--- And for people who are afraid of "trolls";

This help system could be linked to conditions: In order to be able to help with the start of train XY, must
    A) A train level has been reached
    B) a certain KM have been covered.

Realism:
    This would also correspond to reality: Only experienced train drivers are allowed to accompany other train drivers on their first journey. This means that a new route always has to be traveled with an instructor / trainer before you can drive it yourself. For example, you would have something like that if you were to set up the tutorial in this way.

Well, lots of ideas, but since DTG is silent here as always, I don't think that feedback is really wanted Although you asked for tutorial ideas in the live stream, they respected, analyzed or commented on it, but then there was no one. I ask myself what status the so-called "community" really has ...

-----

Vielleicht noch ein kleiner Denkanstoß für die, die glauben es wäre nicht umsetzbar:

Man sieht am privaten TruckersMP (ETS2 / ATS) dass es relativ "leicht" uumzusetzen ist. Diese haben ein "GameMaster" Modus, wo angestellte Personen ehrenamtlich für Hilfe sorgen.
    Nun hat ja SCS nachgezogen und hat es nun auch zusammen mit KI / AI zusammengebracht in privaten Lobbys. Es gibt also keinen einzigen Grund warum ein MP im Zugbereich nicht funktionieren sollte

Ein besseres Beispiel für OpenWorld Map und Hilfesystem ist z.B. The Division 2. Dort drückst du auch auf einen Button und andere könnnen die Lobby betreten und Verlassen. So Abwägig ist eine solche Idee daher gar nicht.

Oder nehmen wir mal das Spiel Construction Simulator 2015. Schon vor fast einem Jahrzehnt entstanden gab es einen perfekt funktionieren Multiplayer Modus.

Gerade das Abwechseln der Fahrer, Kontrolleure, oder eben wie geschrieben wurde das "Ich fahre mit zur Haltestelle XY und übernehme dort einen Zug" wäre schon genial.
    Dann bräuchte man sich auch keine Performance-Probleme mehr überlegen wegen zuvielen Passagieren, weil ob dann 5 oder 50 Personen einsteigen wäre für den MP egal.
    Verspätung im Betriebsablauf hat man automatisch bei realen Spielern.

---

Und für den Personen die Angst vor "Trollen" haben;
    Dieses Hilfesystem könnte an Bedingungen geknüpft sein:

Um beim Start des Zuges XY helfen zu könnnen, muss
    A) Ein Zug-Level erreicht sein
    B) eine bestimmte KM zurückgelegt worden sein

Dies würde ebenso der Realität entsprechen:
    Nur Erfahrene Zugführer dürfen anderen Zugführern bei der Erstfahrt begleiten. Das bedeutet eine neue Strecke muss immer erst mit einem Ausbilder / Trainer befahren werden, bevor man diese selbst alleine fahren darf. Das würde man Beispielsweise ja in etwa haben, wenn man so das Tutorial aufbauen würde.

Na ja, viele Ideen, da jedoch DTG wie immer hier schweigt, denke ich nicht, dass Feedback wirklich gewollt ist
    Zwar hat man im Livestream um Tutorial-Ideen gebeten, respektiert, analysiert oder kommentriert wirds dann aber auch nicht.

Da frage ich mich, welchen Stellenwert die sog. "Communeity" wirklich hat....

• Like Like x 1
  24. trainsimplayer

Updated the OP to include a few more of notice in the other section and just to clarify that passenger mode works. I'm also working on a few more concept piece which I will add or put in a reply.
    So stay tuned I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  25. trainsimplayer

Well I wasn't kidding when I said I was adding more to this. Here's a slight taste of it with the guarding section.

• Like Like x 2
  26. waflenuke1

waflenuke1 New Member

This isnt SCR

27. trainsimplayer

Yeah I know, partly because SCR is just a toxic mess with screaming 5 year olds crying in chat sprinkled on top.

However this is something that i- and at least 25 others want. If you want to be critical, go ahead, but make it constructive.

• Like Like x 2