Is It Coming Home?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tay95, Jul 3, 2021.

?
  1. It's coming home

50.9%
  2. Not a chance, on ya bike

49.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

Taking it far too seriously? No not really but what annoys the hell out of me is because I said England are gonna win as a light hearted statement I’ve been targeted even though someone else on here has said they think Italy are going to win but nothing aimed towards him? Go figure! I blame the Brexit effect.

What do you mean by some miracle England are going to win?? So you must think England have a squad that aren’t capable of doing so then? And if we do win then dam right we are going to shout about it because as others like to point out ( Including you ) we haven’t won anything for years. Don’t worry though I’ll get permission from your fun police before I do so. :DYour right not to like football coz you don’t know much about it if you think its a miracle that England might win it. :|

2. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Fun Fact: No one cares

• Like Like x 2
  3. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Other nations? Half my family is Irish and their willing England on like their own. My best mate is Welsh and he's now supporting England since the Welsh went out. Dare I say it's just the Scots with the massive chip on their shoulder??

• Like Like x 2
  4. shhweeet#4292

Brexit effect? We might just win it, England’s colonial history? Who knows? Tbh I don’t really care.

I really hoped Wales would have gone further but alas it wasn’t meant to be.

5. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I think it'd be more along the lines of:
    "Well. That was unexpected. Fair play to you, congrats"

• Like Like x 1
  6. wombleway

wombleway Well-Known Member

Calm yourself, fella. You'll do yourself a mischief.

As for the "fun police" jibe, I really hope that wasn't a result of the point I made about DV, because if it was, you have issues. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're just young and overly-enthusiastic instead.

7. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

That is good to hear. I do have a couple of Welsh friends who wouldn't support England even if their lives depended on it. Still I suppose it is just the same as an Everton supporter not supporting Liverpool in the Champions League for example.

8. trainsimplayer

It certainly isn't just the Scots.

People all over want England to lose I can assure you that.

9. trainsimplayer

Exactly. I don't really see why people get at us Scots for wanting England to fail. We just don't. And the Everton example is basically the same, the rivalry is the same, as I do happen to support Everton (albeit from up here, thanks to the Pandemic) and there isn't much difference.
    Except centuries of war between each other but anyway

10. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

North Welsh perhaps? Their a pretty partisan group from what I've experienced!

11. trainsimplayer

If you ask me the only reason anyone should want another nation to do well is if they have close ties (family, for example) and thus support them. Other than that it really should be your home nation only.

That's how it should be if you ask me.

12. shhweeet#4292

And there we have the anti English sentiments exposed bare for all to see folks.

13. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

The one was nearly 500 years ago!
    You then wonder why the finger is pointed at you!
    And I'm not getting at you personally, I was saying in my experience.
    I'm impressed by your collective patriotism as a nation, anyone who gets pissed up over a poet deserves some respect.

• Like Like x 1
  14. shhweeet#4292

Unless your English though eh ;)

15. trainsimplayer

No anti-english sentiment, I don't hate the English, I have many English friends.
    I just would rather England didn't win.

At the end of the day it's mostly banter.

Also, when I use a strikethrough it's usually me speaking ironically, so I would congratulate you if you won.

• Like Like x 2
  16. theorganist

One of them is yes, I think the other is more from mid Wales.

It is a good point, although in terms of contradicting myself now, it feels slightly different looking the rivalry of two clubs in a city than two different countries as part of a group of countries joined together in a union, which I know in itself leads to different feelings and view points. I suppose the answer is there really.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

But is it ok to support a club team from another nation?

• Like Like x 1
  18. theorganist

Well I am spoilt for choice then! My fathers side of the family hail from Scotland and I have a Scottish surname. My niece and nephew are Welsh and I think I can claim some Spanish too. Plus, I collect old French cars!

• Like Like x 3
  19. trainsimplayer

Well, yes. Unlike your National team club teams are about choice. Sometimes it's inheriting support from a older generation in family, or becoming attached after a great moment (or maybe it's boring old glory-hunting)

The first of those is why I support Everton. They ain't my local team by a long shot, but my family got me into them (the family member in question got their love for the club through friends in Liverpool) and I inherited that. And now I have a connection thanks to some great memories.

20. shhweeet#4292

1/ If your Scottish then I wouldn’t expect you to want England to win but that doesn’t mean England don’t have a team capable of winning and not by a major or minor miracle either like some / you have said. If anyone thinks that then they are either plain ignorant, know nothing about football, or are just plain anti English.

2/ Of course it is. Banter makes the world go around.:)

3/ Glad to hear it.
    Oh right ok I’d better be careful then because I don’t want to do myself a mischief sticking up for myself eh.

It was a poke at the politically correct brigade. Why? Who did you think it was aimed at? I don’t think it’s me with the issues fella.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  21. theorganist

I often used to choose Hibernian to manage on Football manager, I have a soft spot for them but I don't know why as I have no connection to them at all!

I managed Aston Villa which is the team I support, once, and got them relegated so never again, they got relegated in real life in that same season!

• Like Like x 1
  22. trainsimplayer

I must say I do have absoluetly nothing against Hibs.
    They aren't my team, but they are a good rep. Of Scottish club football.

Celtic & Rangers are what most people think Scottish Football is but it isn't
    Hibs are probably the best example, true, loyal fans, and it means so much to them.

I remember watching the Scottish Cup Final in 2016 when they beat Rangers, when they sang Sunshine on Leith after the game it was something else.

• Like Like x 1
  23. wombleway

You do seem to be taking this far too seriously though. It's banter, that's all. You appear to pick sections of posts and take offence at them, even those supporting your arguments, and ignoring the rest of the conversation... As I said elsewhere in the thread, I hope you enjoy tonight's game, I really do. But stop looking to take offence at things where no offence is meant.

• Like Like x 1
  24. theorganist

Yes I am sure that is true, it would be good to see a team like Aberdeen challenge them, they seemed to get close a few years ago.

I wonder what would have happened if Celtic and Rangers had ever joined the Premier league as was mooted several years ago? I guess it would have benefitted the likes of Aberdeen, but it would have taken quite a lot of money away from Scottish football I suppose.

25. wombleway

The digital version of (un)lucky underpants or socks!:D

• Like Like x 1
  26. trainsimplayer

I think that Celtic and Rangers leaving would kick a lot of smaller clubs.

That occasional cup tie with Celtic or rangers (for our League 2, League 1 & Championship clubs) brings in a lot of money. As for the smaller premiership clubs the same applies.

At the same time the leagues would be up for grabs and would invite much more competition, in turn driving up crowds and then leading to the expansion of the game.

• Like Like x 1
  27. theorganist

Quite lol. I do have some claret socks!

28. trainsimplayer

My club for example, they are hardly making the minimum player limit, with youth players, the current owners' handing over of control to a fan group has been delayed due to something on the legal end.
    The club is in limbo with the first game on SATURDAY.

29. theorganist

A lot of smaller clubs have suffered greatly during the pandemic, where as looking at the amount of money being spent on transfers it hasn't been so negative on larger clubs.

Which club do you support?

30. shhweeet#4292

Oh for Christ’s sake I picked up on what I though a member meant wrongly for which I apologised to him for. That’s twice you’ve mentioned it now so what do you want blood!?

I’ve pick up on sections of threads to reply to because that’s what you do when your bantering. Jeepers! I bet your fun in the pub. :D

31. shhweeet#4292

And there are also people all over that want England to win.

So your point is what exactly?

32. trainsimplayer

I'll just say it's in the championship and leave it there.
    I don't want to leave a 'pin on the map' for others if you get what I mean.

• Like Like x 1
  33. trainsimplayer

My point is it isn't just Scots who want England to lose.

Plus it's mostly just rivalry for us, like it would be if it were two clubs etc

34. theorganist

Ah okay, I understand.

35. shhweeet#4292

Of course if we do lose tonight or lose the final if we make it there we DO like to suffer it keeps us going for years ;)

Here’s the best England song. You’ve got to admit it’s a classic whether you like England or not.

• Like Like x 2
  36. wombleway

Last time I was in a pub was before the pandemic and that was doing CPR on someone who (ironically) had been involved in a punch-up over a football match, so no, not much fun at all.

Anyhow, I've wished you and your team good luck for this evening, although as you say it's such a magnificent team they won't need luck, so I shall leave it at that. Enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
  37. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

My goodness, calm yourselves, fellas. There must be something about the game of soccer that engenders a hyper emotional response. Or maybe it's a European thing.
    I can go to a professional baseball, football, hockey, basketball, even soccer game over here and find myself sitting next to a guy or gal wearing the opposing team's shirt, and we can have a beer and a laugh together without any animosity. Happened to me in Milwaukee recently. My wife and I were among a group of opposing fans, didnt faze us a bit. Apparently, that's not possible in London, Liverpool or Glasgow. Over here, occasional outbursts after a big win happen, but it's frowned upon. I talked earlier about "living vicariously", but taken to the extreme, that can be self destructive. You should be able to support your team, even passionately, but remain friendly and civil to each other.

• Like Like x 1
  38. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

Thus proves how Aggy some people get on threads ahahaha

39. shhweeet#4292

So that going to pubs and football matches on the list of what we shouldn’t do in life now because life tends to throw up unpleasant situations sometimes. Go and have a pint in your local and enjoy the match!

I didn’t say England were a magnificent team I’ve said we’ve got the best squad we’ve had for years and are perfectly capable of winning it. And of course we need luck, every team no matter how good they are need some of that. Weren’t Italy lucky last night winning on penalties which at best is just a 50/50 lottery.

40. shhweeet#4292

But! Thats NO FUN! ;):D

41. trainsimplayer

Let me introduce you to COVID-19

Did you even watch the game?
    Italy and Spain both played brilliantly and it was a case of "well someone has to go out".
    The only "luck" was in the decision of who got through via pens. They both deserved it.

• Like Like x 1
  42. theorganist

You could with Cricket or Rugby, Football does seem to have a much more tribal element to it I suppose, it really becomes a way of life for many, they eat and sleep football.

I went to watch Aston Villa versus Manchester Utd once at Old Trafford (Manchester Utd ground), I am a Aston Villa supporter but had got a ticket in the home (Manchester United) section. We scored and I had to do all I could to stop myself celebrating and had to commiserate over the bad defending with those around me, although I am not that much of an ebullient person so it would have been a very minor show of satisfaction! Of course when the inevitable Manchester United goal came I had to jump up and cheer with everyone else around me!

I don't hold at all with the some of the displays of "support" which go on, some are very unedifying, for example mocking Manchester Utd over the Munich disaster or Liverpool over Hillsborough. However I have also seen the coming together by rival fans over tragic events. I think in the end most fans know it is just a game and a lot of it is just banter and when push comes to shove most know what really is important in life. As ever, it is the few which cause the rest to be tarred with the same brush.

• Like Like x 3
  43. trainsimplayer

*Football :D
    To be fair though Glasgow's fights (i.e. the old firm) are always because Rangers are Protestants and Celtic are Catholic.

Which is ironic because it's the only time in Scotland they actually fight much, when Celtic and Rangers get involved.

• Like Like x 1
  44. theorganist

I think personally Spain edged it in the 90 minutes. However, you just knew Italy would eke it out to penalties and then win. Not that I was too worried who would win, I have to say Spain played some great attacking football, some of the decision making in the final third let them down I think.

45. shhweeet#4292

Covid -19. Get your double jab and start living your life. Unless your going to stay in and self isolate from human society forever.

Who cares how well they played. Italy still went through on penalties which has a big slice of luck attached to it whichever way you want to LUCK at it.

46. trainsimplayer

1) The pun- why...
    2) If Italy scored a last minute winner in extra-time you wouldn't be saying this. Face that Italy deserve to be in the final and get on with it.

47. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

That's why more people support Rangers than Celtic- it's easier to shout, "#### the Pope" than it is to shout, "#### the Chief Moderator of the Church of Scotland".

(To be clear I wouldn't shout either nor would I condone doing so- this is a joke.)

48. trainsimplayer

To be fair I think Celtic fans shout #### the Queen instead.

As rangers stand for not only Protestantism but also British Unionism.
    Hence the Union Jacks.

Which is funny because Celtic don't take much to do with the Irish Unification stuff but that is a topic for another day.

49. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I would be eligible to play for either Wales or England. I’m pretty average at playing football, so I would only really be eligible for the Wales team, ho ho. I was supporting both of course in the Euros and now it’s just England left to support. I’ve watched every game in the tournament and have seen some excellent football, enjoyed the beautiful game played well, and seen some of the best players in the world win and lose. Two games left and both will be difficult and hopefully entertaining.

If England don’t get through to the final then the final won’t mean as much to me but I’ll be hoping Denmark win then because they would deserve to be champions for how they have fought on after the near tragedy in their opening match. That’s when real life came to the football pitch and is another reason this tournament will be remembered. As much as football divides people it also brings people together, and others have expressed that above. If people have only passion and not anger or hatred then football and the fans coming together can be a beautiful thing, especially at the international level.

Unfortunately for many ‘fans’ it brings out the worst in them. That’s one reason I don’t follow club football at all.

• Like Like x 3
  50. trainsimplayer

Agreed. I was quite sickened after seeing the footage of England fans cheering when a German kid was shown in tears. It was disgraceful. The singing of 10 German Bombers was wrong as well.

That's the bad side of football that too many people focus on though.

Football is about having a good time at the end of the day.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.