What Is Todays Steam Update?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Jul 6, 2021.

1. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Capture.PNG I've had a download pushed through to me today but hadn't seen anything about an update. Anyone know?

• Like Like x 1
  2. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Cane Creek support

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

plus IoW fixes, there is an announcement about it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  5. Mephrite

Mephrite Active Member

Pff, I don't have Isle of Wight and still needed to download 1 Gb. You should do something with file structure...

• Like Like x 3
  6. frank1116

frank1116 Well-Known Member

One reason why there is no "Not Helpful" or "useless"-button in the announcement section. Update to 1.39 ? Seriously ?

7. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Little aggrieved I have to sacrifice space to two routes I don’t want.

8. 5cip

5cip Active Member

its not wrong about it but.... you should release some fixes for many routes too...

9. Haribo112

Haribo112 Well-Known Member

That's not how that works. The update may be a 1Gb download, but all that does is overwrite a 1GB file you already had. So total used diskspace might decrease, increase, or not even change at all. Only way to be sure is measure disk usage manually before and after each update.

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Also, the Isle of Wight update won't download for those who don't have Isle of Wight.

I do agree though. It is a bit rediculous that they're updating their game to provide core support to an upcoming product that probably wouldn't work without it like they have with every other route DLC :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

The 1 GB patch also added some new achievements for Cane Creek
    Got this by simply missclicking on Resume and loading into an old save from SPG :D

upload_2021-7-7_19-52-42.png

12. mariussoare_84

mariussoare_84 Well-Known Member

DTG JD I don't have either IoW or Cane Creek as mentioned in Jamie's post yet I still got a 1 GB download.
    Is there anything else related to the core game?

13. CowBoyWolf

Support for the Cane Creek dlc

14. mariussoare_84

Thank you.
    I feel that this should be part of the route download pack and not be pushed to all players as not everybody is interested in buying the new route.
    That's why I asked if there is any release of general interest in the patch.

• Like Like x 1
  15. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

IGB IS OLD ROUTE IOW

16. CowBoyWolf

???

17. conniethunder

conniethunder Well-Known Member

I think maybe the point is 1GB download isn't a lot in this day an age and with the size of games, speed of internet, etc. ?

• Like Like x 3
  18. mariussoare_84

Could you please send me 100 $/€? I will just assume based on whatever I feel that you have no problem in sparing some cash...

19. conniethunder

conniethunder Well-Known Member

A silly thing to say when you can afford to buy and run a PC that probably consumes +500W of power (which I'm sure you pay for too). ;)

• Like Like x 4
  20. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I agree. Childish. Complaining about 1GB is like worrying about someone leaving the bathroom light on. :)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. mariussoare_84

You can keep assuming and trying to normalize something that is not normal, it's up to you.

If all the games that one has installed (10, 15, 20, or more) on his/hers storage drive with a limited amount of space will have the same approach of once in a while pushing updates that you don't actually need to your drive you will perhaps see this with different eyes.

Of course, I pay for the energy my PC consumes, who doesn't!? It is one thing to pay for something that you requested and need compared to losing something for a thing that you are not interested in.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Yeah because when it updates the game it leaves the previous build there forever, doesn't it.

All that update did (to the core) was change stuff in the TS2Prototype-WindowsNoEditor.pak and TS2Prototype-WindowsNoEditor-SandPatchGrade-coredata.pak files (which are 1.5GB and 9.6GB respectively, compressed for the download), or more realistically just replaced those files with newer versions.

Suppose the update didn't come separate and came when you bought Cane Creek (and further DLCs), that surely represents problems, because a) the DLC download will soon contain an outdated version of the game, so you'll be updating it backwards when reinstalling it (causing an absolute nightmare for support eventually) unless they decide to update the download package for each DLC on this system, which is eventually going to get really awkward for them to maintain. Plus, what if a future DLC needs something in the Cane Creek update? Does it have to include the update for Cane Creek?

• Like Like x 2
  23. mariussoare_84

No, I have not purchased the Cane Creek and I don't intend to as I am not into driving trains at 15-20 mph. It's not what I am looking for, I don't have anything against those who like this though. For the same reason, I have not purchased the gorgeous West Somerset Railway, too slow for my taste.

If the reason is as you say, then they should make the patch notes clearer. This is why I asked if there is an extended reason beyond the two routes in particular for which we all got the patch. But there was no official response so I understand that "if it's not on the roadmap, there isn't any other reason".

• Like Like x 3
  24. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Well I don't have Cane Creek or IoW and my HDD space is noticably smaller since the patch. Once again, all we want is transparency about what is in the patches and what the effect is on your storage space etc. It is well known DTG have had problems in actually being able to know themselves what is in the patches, would be nice if they could sort that out so they can communicate these things accurately.

• Like Like x 1