Any Recommendations On Laptops For Ts 2021? I Might I Get A Hp Notebook 11.6 If It Can Run It

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jahshai12, Jul 10, 2021.

Tags:
  1. jahshai12

jahshai12 New Member

Any recommendations on laptops for ts 2021? I might i get a hp notebook 11.6 if it can run it

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Yes, Don't use a Laptop

3. Aryffordd

Aryffordd Guest

99% of laptops that have integrated graphics chipsets will be unsuitable for TS, and most laptops have integrated graphics chipsets.

It is possible to buy a gaming laptop that has a discreet graphics card, and pretty much any actual gaming laptop released in the last year or two will provide at least a reasonable performance on the less challenging routes, but it really depends on the specification of the laptop.

More information required! However, I’d certainly be surprised if ANY 11” laptop had discrete graphics card options, so the answer is probably “no”. Save your money.

4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I run TS 2021 with a 24 inch monitor - I think an 11" Laptop you would have difficulty in seeing the sim
    Also that HP 11.6 is not up to the minimum spec for TS2021

• Like Like x 1
  5. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Go for a gaming laptop... I use an MSI GE63 8RE Raider...

Eric

6. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

I got started with TS2016 on an i3 laptop blessed with only the integrated HD graphics. With most of the graphics settings turned down (or off) I'd honestly say it was better than nothing when driving in less demanding routes. Integrated graphics have come on since but I still wouldn't go so far as to recommend relying on them unless you have no choice. If you're thinking about TS2021 forget it- I think all of the included routes would ask too much of integrated chipsets. An older edition of TS, some of which you can still get Steam keys for, might be a different matter.

I eventually bought a second-hand laptop with a discrete but not too special Radeon GPU and was very happy with the way it ran TS including newer more detailed DLC albeit still with some of the settings lowered. I'd still be happy with it if it hadn't broken down. (Which does demonstrate a problem with laptops- with everything integrated on one board repairs can be expensive to the point of being uneconomical.)

The dire sounding warning about laptop chipsets not being supported by TS is more of a formality covering Dovetail against the vagaries of various and non-standard components that can appear in laptops. You'd be very unlucky to find a laptop that was incompatible with TS.

With a high resolution screen and presumably a closer viewing distance I doubt that'd be as much of a problem as you think.

This on the other hand is key. It's one thing to chance buying TS for an under spec' system as long as you do so with your eyes open but if you're buying a system with the aim of running TS you really should be aiming to meet at least the minimum requirements. That doesn't mean you have to spend a fortune mind- the second hand laptop I mentioned above was £200.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Unless you need a laptop for other reasons as well, just don't bother with laptops. Even really expensive "gaming" laptops are terrible in comparison to the equivalent desktop. They are NOT like for like. Laptops have severe power and thermal limitations that see them massively under-performing compared to their desktop equivalents, and you usually pay the same price, or more for this "Privilege".

Unless you have no choice... spec a decent desktop machine and get a reliable system integrator to supply it... do not buy a Dell or a HP... they're utter dog poo usually, and use propitiatory, non standard parts... they cut corners, and make it very difficult to upgrade further down the line.... so all you are buying is a sub-par machine destined to become e-waste. Go to a reliable system builder like scan.co.uk

If you have no choice.... then the Gigabyte Aorus 17G is a great price for a well specced gaming laptop.

Avoid MSI... for ethical reasons. They were caught scalping their own products on Ebay. https://hothardware.com/news/msi-implicated-in-ampere-scalping

8. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Excellent point. You could be looking at a desktop and laptop that at first glance have the same processor and GPU but one of them will have a 600W PSU and the other 200W which drives everything including the screen. Clearly they will not be equivalent.