Post A Video Of Your Train Driving And I’ll Comment On It

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Olaf the Snowman, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

No problem :)

I think it’s the same for most traction in the game not just HSTs. You always need to isolate all warning systems (you can leave DRA though) before switching ends.

Oh ok, fair enough. To be honest, I forgot that you’re from Hong Kong. If you’re late by 5 seconds, the guard is apologising. In the UK, if you‘re only 5-10 minutes late, you should be happy :) Also, it is a very different culture between national rail and London Underground. Tube drivers (or Train Operators which is their official job title) are not mainline drivers and don’t have a train driver’s license. From my understanding, SPADs are very common on the London Underground. On the mainline, a SPAD is a massive incident.
    Similarly, the culture in BR is very different compared to today. If you had a SPAD back then, the signaller would call you a few swear words and you would be on your way. Today, however, a SPAD results in drugs and alcohol test, a serious investigation including potentially some time off, and it will go in your safety of the line record. If you have a few incidents in a short space of time, you’ll lose your license. From late BR (1990s) onwards, the culture has shifted.

• Like Like x 2
  2. KCRCRailway

KCRCRailway Active Member

I heard they got 200+ SPAD per year on Underground, consider how the signal looks like in game I guess that's really understandable, it always confuse me seeing 2 signal appear together and could be see at the same direction.
    Well at least they got less delay last year, halfly because less services on line (not a good thing for that :( )

• Like Like x 1
  3. KCRCRailway

BTW, any idea on Locomotive or Class 101's driving skills? I always got a 10min delay on NTP, 7min for miscalculation of brake distance, 3min for starting with P2 at Gear 1, but I heard that was the [Correct] way, sounds like the situation you mentioned that you lost all score for being the realistic and correct driver here :P

• Like Like x 1
  4. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

5. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

It’s not just the difference in visibility though, it’s also the difference in culture. Between Queens Park and Harrow and Wealdstone, London Underground (LU) and London Overground share the line. London Overground are qualified mainline drivers. Most SPADs that happen are from LU drivers not LO even though the signals both drivers are seeing are the same. There’s a signal somewhere near Kensal Green which is spaded at least once a week, again with nearly all of them being accounted to LU drivers. In a documentary about LU that you can find somewhere on YouTube, a driver has a SPAD and she has a very carefree attitude afterwards like nothing has happened. Compare that to a mainline driver having a SPAD, they’d probably be in tears.

The general driving technique I’ve made a thread about before and I’ll attach at the bottom. For braking technique, my parameters are the following:
    Reduce to 15 inches which is kind of like a step 1
    Reduce to 8 inches which is kind of like a step 2
    As there is a lot of gradients in NTP, you may need to adjust that. For example, if braking when going downhill and desiring a step 2, reduce it to 6 inches. Whereas if going uphill for the same braking effort, only need to reduce to 10 inches.
    Always try to stop with brake pipe at about 15 inches. I’ve found some old videos that I’ll link below, I’m not doing too bad for time to be honest.

The hardest train to master in my opinion is the F40PH on Peninsula Corridor followed by the Class 101. HST is quite difficult too. Most important thing is to make parameters and not to apply the brake randomly without giving any thought of how much you’re wanting to put on. If you want to master these trains, I highly recommend using scenario mode and using them on a route with a lot of stations. As bizarre as it sounds, using the Class 101 on the bakerloo line will be great practice. You’re not going to learn much by driving a HST on GWE, for example, because you just don’t get enough stopping practice. As you’ve said, when you’ve driving a difficult train like any of these I’ve described, you’re crawling in very slowly. Once you’ve mastered them and fully confident, you can hit stations aggressively and get some really satisfying stops. I’ll link the HST video if you’re interested to see that too.

By the way, I wouldn’t say I have a problem with seeing any of you doing aggressive station stops. I’ll probably make a remark but in principal, I don’t have a problem with it. However, most people driving aggressively are also driving terribly with regards to passenger comfort. Usually they’ll either be constantly adjusting the brake and/or dumping the unit by increasing the brake as they get closer to the stopping mark and/or stopping in a very high brake. There is no reason why you can’t be aggressive yet still make some really smooth stops as I’ve kind of shown towards the end of the HST video. In real life, I have hit 300-350m stations at 60mph+ and it’s very satisfying stopping with the stop board perfectly outside my window and with the final impact silky smooth that you barely even realise you’ve stopped. Consistent braking, ideally reducing the brake as you get closer to the stopping mark and having a nice finishing impact is key to a good stop. When I say consistent braking, I’m not saying you’re not allowed to move the brake controller. But some people on this forum have a habit of moving it excessively which is not good. Part of the reason for this which I’ve already mentioned is not giving any thought of how much brake they initially want to apply so they end up making a mess of it- this is why variable brake compared to the stepped brake is a lot harder.

HSTs/101/F40PH take a lot more skill to stop smoothly because of how long it takes for brakes to apply and release. On a modern unit such as the Class 377, you can just bring back brake to step 1 just before you come to a stop. However, that won’t work on a HST, as it takes such a long time for brakes to release so you’re having to do that a lot earlier otherwise the stop will be terrible.
    As someone on the previous page said, some people are obsessed with keeping to time but their stops are dreadful. Passengers sitting down would get a massive kick forwards and God help anyone who is standing up :)

I should add that feel free to drive the way you want to. If you enjoy stopping in emergency or driving backwards, continue to do so. I’m only giving feedback so those who wish to add a bit of realism can do so :)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  6. KCRCRailway

Thanks for the long reply again!
    Will write something longer tomorrow, but I do feel sorry for my passenger on GCC now as the brake was quite lose at 10mph below that I hardly get it done without a B3 :(
    There is a (not) good things about HST: It (most of the time) does 1 stop per game and with a speed reduction ahead at Reading and often arrive early enough for a slower stop.
    And my passenger always want to shot in my face with F40 as I always end with overshoot the whole loco, hopefully it will be better with new NEC attracting me to play on US passenger route.
    I found myself doing better on 101 with less stop or at least less [frequent] stop per journay, partly because driving it quickly drain all my stamina fighting with gearbox. I can did a perfect stop on Saturday Special on NTP but will quickly lost attention and SPAD from Huddersfield to Leeds. It is very nice that 101's brake tends to be stronger on 10mph below as it helps getting in the mark---although I doubt there is any mark on platform.
    GCC's timetable are really design for LU style as it is a must to push P4 and at least B2 per stop. But I'm trying to practice on 101 aiming come to a final stop with 15inch.
    And for Loco on NTP, I guess I should just aim for a smoother stop because no matter I aggressive or not, I always end with a 10min delay. Time to give my poor passenger some better experience with cost of on time travel :P
    I should record something again, probably a 101, to see if I get things done right.

• Like Like x 1
  7. KCRCRailway

Something I was thinking is that if I brake with the same rountine, but put the brake timing a bit forward, then I could have release my brake at the last 15 meter as my speed was greatly decreased. By so, I got the room I need for a stop with B1, most of the time I end with extra seconds to wait anyway, sounds a nice method to not overshoot while smooth.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I have the opposite problem with the 101. I don't mind the gearbox but really dislike the brakes. I drove the Tees Valley one a few days ago and it wasn't as bad as I remembered, but the fact it sticks in the lap position is awkward I find. the handle also feels rather unsensitive to me. Also the brakes are way weaker than I'm expecting, probably because I've driven the TS1 version which feels like it has much stronger brakes.

• Like Like x 1
  9. KCRCRailway

Just finished a full service from Manchester to Leeds after replying to you---Almost sleep halfway :P
    7 out of 16 stops reached within 1 yard with 4 serious overshoot from 12 to 48 yards. The best was at Stalybridge due to a 15mph limit before station so I can stop with 14inch at 0.004yard
    Hopefully the passenger will be happy as I delayed for 4-5min, well they choosed not to donate us a Pacer with Hydrolic Gearbox...

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  10. KCRCRailway

I will just hit a 5 inch then back to 10/15 inch with 50mph+ to make sure my brake actually working as they should. Actually I don't mind them both, but it was getting me stressed on GWB as there is no gap between station for a breath unlike NTP where you at least got a few long tunnel to relax (and overshoot the station right after tunnel). The design of stop at LAP is really useful to me consider I'm on keyboard and can't really use the mouse to use handle, I can just quick tap again when stop at LAP to confirm I need to use brake, not just pushing it back.

• Like Like x 1
  11. KCRCRailway

• Like Like x 1
  12. Papi

Papi Member

Aachen - Koln 23 minutes !
    What is wrong with me ?? :D:D:cool:
    It can be done under 20 :o:love::love:
    ==============================
    This is obviously a joke ... peace :cool::D:D

• Like Like x 1
  13. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  14. GoldenTicket420

GoldenTicket420 Well-Known Member

17eb81578f321-c7a0AB1C2551AC8DFF8.58974698ADF3020B_message_420804006981407_1643765652271.jpg My very first video on YouTube is the first and original 4up challenge and also happened to be my best train at that time.

Probably the best and most accurate driving on top of the worst conditions. I will be doing Harlem Line no Hud etc of course when it comes out and I familiarize myself with it.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2022
    • Like Like x 1