Simrail 2021 Vs Tsw2

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by arapajoe3, Oct 13, 2020.

1. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

UE4 BVE GAME

2. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Am I the only person who remembers that Microsoft boasted about planning a world-wide train simulator not long before dropping out of the market completely?

• Like Like x 3
  3. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Yes but then the media-led crash of 2008 happened and they shut the studios.

• Like Like x 2
  4. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Perhaps if there is some demand Microsoft could get back into Train Simulation although I doubt that would happen.

Also it's odd that there hasn't been much news really on Simrail 2021 apart from those first look videos. It's almost the end of june so it would be cool to hear some more news about the game. I bet it will come out sometime in the Fall if we don't hear any news during the summer months

• Like Like x 1
  5. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

They didn't do much with the original MSTS really. There was one update if I recall and then they left it.

It was only third party commercial suppliers and a very big freeware community which kept it going. DTG might not be perfect but they have kept TS1 going in various forms since 2008 and I expect similar with TSW.

• Like Like x 3
  6. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  7. vyncwr

vyncwr Member

This game has been in "coming soon" at least for one and a half year now. I don't think it's ever gonna be released.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
  8. dhekelian

Really? That's a shame.

• Like Like x 1
  9. zzw1983

zzw1983 Well-Known Member

No train simulator has matched the DTGs model quality excepting AP
    Correct. And remember there was barely anything on Steam back then.
    Damn. I guess I have to get drunk, fight off wolves and drive trains offline. Lol

• Like Like x 2
  10. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

HAVE IHH

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

Lol.. The comments made me chuckle. But is Colonel Failure really Sam's personal account? I had no idea until now.

• Like Like x 1
  12. zzw1983

zzw1983 Well-Known Member

Yeah I forgot to mention IHH!

13. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

The models were fine for their time but, combined with awful texturing, are dreadful today.

• Like Like x 1
  14. QO1922

QO1922 Member

• Like Like x 2
  15. tallboy7648

Oh wow those images look nice. And it has freight as well. I honestly can't wait for this game to come out. Simrail has better graphics than ts2021 by a mile as well. I could see it rivaling ts2021 on the pc market for sure

• Like Like x 1
  16. Doomotron

Looks pretty dreadful, like a low-budget PS3 game. Yuck. Even worse than Train Simulator.

• Like Like x 2
  17. tallboy7648

Worse graphics than ts. If you think that then I assume you must be blind lol

• Like Like x 5
  18. Ferrovipathe67

Ferrovipathe67 Well-Known Member

normal TS is a game that dates from 2009 but I find it not so graphically beautiful and that will change nothing TS has not far from 3600 trains

• Like Like x 1
  19. theorganist

I wouldn't say it looks a huge amount better, I would want to see actual users screenshots first. Lets see what functionality it has and how user friendly it is too.

I will look at it when it has some content which interests me.

• Like Like x 5
  20. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

Those screenshots don't blow me away, don't like the blur in some of those shots either. Graphics seem to be an inbetween of TS and TSW.

• Like Like x 6
  21. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

And it seems they have no licenses from known railway operators.

22. dhekelian

Honestly, I thought it would look better than this. The graphics are definitely closer to TS than TSW but saying that if the game has better gameplay, Raildriver support, more to do in game ETC the game still has a chance of competing. And if it can do routes from the real world then even better but they have their work cut out.

But if anyone thinks graphics alone will make the game fail could someone explain to me Minecraft?

• Like Like x 1
  23. tallboy7648

The game will have offically licensed railway companies and logos according to the devs

• Like Like x 1
  24. Doomotron

The saturation is far too high but the lighting is also very gloomy, like there's only a pin light lighting up the game world. TS doesn't have this problem in newer DLCs.
    20200216130405_1.jpg 20200216131913_1.jpg
    I'm not playing with RWEnhancer or AP Sky and Weather here (those seem to make the game lighting darker, and I wish I'd never installed them) - everything in these shots are well lit, like you'd expect on a summer's day. The SimRail shots might just be a one-off, but for now at least SimRail at its best doesn't look as good as Train Simulator at its best - and it looking better than TSW is out of the question.

The models don't look that nice either (the 450 model above looks nicer!). The whole of SimRail looks like I've zoomed in on Transport Fever, like they're all toy trains. There are certainly interesting things in SimRail, like the Dispatcher mode and contacting the signaller, but I feel it'll probably end up like most other PlayWay games - a disappointment, which is swiftley abandoned...

That said, I would like to see what they do with British routes. I feel ZeenozPlays could have some fun with that...

• Like Like x 5
  25. docsnyder1911

And why we saw one loco with PKP logos till now only. The rest was unbranded. In comparison I never saw a TSW announcement for new material that was unbranded.

• Like Like x 1
  26. tallboy7648

Well the game is still in development

27. docsnyder1911

And I wrote down the actual facts only. The future will show if the devs of Sim Rail can fulfill the expectations they caused in some people. :)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  28. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

I definitely would, but honestly, I could have fun and mess around with a lot of other types of routes as well.

It’s just something about the British routes though, that catches my attention.

• Like Like x 2
  29. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

I've just had a look on their steam page, definitely better looking than Ts20xx in all respects, with better weather better lighting better physics better looking passengers just better overall imo.
    Not sure what Graphics engine TS uses but this is using Unity that has more scope and flexibility and features than a 2007 system.
    https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1422130/view/3051728128596449096

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  30. tallboy7648

I wonder why they choose unity. The game graphically may not be better than tsw2 but it certainly is better so far than ts2021. There will probably be more graphical improvements when the game nears release

• Like Like x 1
  31. vyncwr

vyncwr Member

To be honest I'm not satisfied by its engine.. Unity games always feels somewhat cheap and amateur for me. So far the UI and the graphics proves its the case again but wait and see, it can be good at the end.
    Do you know that cheap trainsims for Android? Now those are made with unity. :D It might be good but Im 100% sure it won't be a groundbreaking game.
    I don't feel like unity is for complex games like train simulators.

• Like Like x 2
  32. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

It certainly looks better than TS classic, then again most stuff built nowadays does. In terms of graphics Simrail does not look super far off TSW tbh, the trains do have a simplistic quality to them but without a hands on it´s fairly difficult to judge these things from pictures alone.

• Like Like x 2
  33. helderbrincolas

helderbrincolas Well-Known Member

Random events! All of you talking about graphics and etc, but the real apreciatores of simulation now that graphics not always are the prioraty. Look at TSW which has good graphics, but still DTG cant work with UE, look at the clouds, the awfull lightning and the skybox... SimRail will offer way more realist simulation with features and events that a train sim needs! Not like DTG that with 5 years of developing TSW has reached what we all see ahahahahah

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 8
  34. tallboy7648

The random events feature will be a nice touch. Something that i wish was already in tsw2

• Like Like x 2
  35. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

The random events they showed are all game ending, I want random things like a slow train or speed restriction, then it's different but i don't have to quit what i was doing.

• Like Like x 3
  36. tallboy7648

We don't really know the extent of the random events. The game could lets say have a tree fall on the track and you would have to wait for crews to clear a tree to continue your journey. That does happen in reality to be fair. You may not necessarily have to quit per se but perhaps wait for things to be cleared etc. Were just gonna have to wait until more info on the gane comes out

• Like Like x 2
  37. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Taking a definite wait and see approach to this one.

• Like Like x 2
  38. Maik Goltz

Maik Goltz Well-Known Member

But that's not a fault by Unity. It lays on the developers to gain out what is possible. The newer Unity versions are mostly capable of doing the same what UE can do. As a developer you just need to use the tech the right way and not the cheapes way, what most have done in the past and that's why lots of games look and feel bad. There are some nice examples out there how a Unity game can shine.

• Like Like x 13
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  39. dhekelian

I hope it does prove to be a decent alternative to TSW2 which can only benefit the customers. You never know it might make DTG release an editor so that the game can be fixed properly, LOL.

• Like Like x 3
  40. RailRoadEngineer

RailRoadEngineer Member

Only possible in the parallel universe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  41. dhekelian

I think you're right sadly. It always made me laugh that Sam said time and time again on the stream that they wouldn't make an editor for TSW2 because they didn't want to get sued by the real train companies.

I'd love to know how many times DTG got sued over TS1 then?

42. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

This is a grey area. They say TS1 is a 'special exception' because of how many things have already been shared, so they are unable to do anything about it.

I think they could technically release the editor, or some form of it, for TSW, for users to use, but they specifically chose not to. For some reason, they want to keep TSW as closed as possible.

We don't even have the ability to share our liveries because they say it would cause licensing issues...

43. dhekelian

I think it is all about money. With a total monopoly, even third parties have to submit, they are of the thinking they are getting as much cash as possible. IMO they are missing out, their fanbase would explode for TSW2 with an editor and the potential to sell more routes while at the same time getting their game fixed for free, lol.

Some of the mods that you can get now are awesome just imagine what they could do with an editor. Mods are not for everyone but they have the choice to use them or not, opportunity would be great though eh? Then again cannot see DTG doing this unless a better Train Sim comes out offering modding.

44. theorganist

It isn't about money. I am sure DTG know that the more providers of content the more attractive the sim as then more people will purchase it. Don't forget in TS1 a lot freeware content is reliant on using DTG DLC, I have bought DLC for TS1 just for some freeware content I want, which otherwise I wouldn't have purchased otherwise.

Of course TSW possibly wouldn't work like that but the more content the more attractive the sim.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  45. keksman

keksman Well-Known Member

Wait a second are you serious? THATS their reason for not releasing the editor? That must be dumbest lie ive read atleast in this year lol like why would train companies ever sue them because of people releasing maps for tsw

46. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I am quite sure the thing Sam is quoted as saying was actually about Livery sharing and not the Editor.

I believe we have a miss-quote.

• Like Like x 3
  47. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Licensing is clearly the issue on both editor and livery sharing. Neither is ever gonna happen.

As for why TS20XX gets a pass, i think it's a "cat's already out of the bag" situation, wheras TSW/2 has been locked down, so to speak, from the beginning.

• Like Like x 1
  48. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Could all of you conspiracy theorists explain why other, very succesful games, decided to include all kinds of editing tools? I mean, if DTG wouldn't do it because they want to keep their monopoly, the same would apply to other game companies, right?

Games like Euro Truck Simulator and Farming Simulator have an extensive library of community created content, and these games provide active tools to create and share those creations. Why would they do such a thing if that would ruin their potential income?

Personally I think all this community created content keeps the games alive, and thus people willing to spend more on official DLC. That's probably the whole point of why the Steam Workshop exists.

Oh, and lets not forget that DTG did provide us with a livery editor and a scenario editor. Although the tools are basic, according to conspiracy logic they'd be fools to give us those tools as they could be selling us liveries and scenarios while having a complete monopoly on the market.

• Like Like x 12
  49. keksman

keksman Well-Known Member

Dumb too as people share liveries right now anyways just through a different way and havent heard about a train company sue dtg about that yet. Any idea what their official reasoning was for abandoning the editor?

Imagine asking this kind of question and then start to compare dtg to scs who just released the second huge update this year with a multiplayer for their 9 year old game lol

50. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Given that DTG don't officially provide the means to do so how can people sue them? PC architecture is open, and therefore if people harvest and share files they do so at their own risk, would be very different if DTG were providing the means of doing so

The reason is that people would start making licensed and trademarked content, which would put DTG into a dodgy legal position... That reason you just discounted even though you got the methodology wrong...

Imagine that... different companies having different ways of doing things...
    What have Microsoft, Apple and Samsung been suing each other over for the last decade...? :cool:
    In other words DTG have made decisions. We either live with them and purchase their software, or we don't live with them and use our money elsewhere, either way IT'S A GAME! (in other words, why not find something more meaningful to invest energy into other than meaningless comparisons between things which don't matter)

• Like Like x 12