Your First Train Memory

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Krazy, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

Sometimes I realize how weird it is that so many of us are obsessed over big metal boxes with wheels on them. We simply saw a train one day and decided to dedicate our entire lives to loving them. While I'm pretty sure I can't remember the very first train I ever saw, I sure can remember what I remember (mmm yes, water is a liquid).

I remember on a few occasions I would be sitting at this one railroad crossing that I liked, which had a good bit of action with BNSF and Sounder trains (Sounder is the commuter rail in Seattle). The first train I ever remember seeing was a BNSF manifest train, and the lead locomotive was a C44-9W in the classic Warbonnet scheme/livery.
    [​IMG]
    To this day, the Warbonnet scheme is probably one of my favorite locomotive paint schemes/liveries to exist, and it looks a lot cooler than the modern BNSF H3 scheme. It's always a great experience to see a big American freight train pass by, as it basically shakes the whole ground. And that's when I realized how much I love... macaroni and cheese. In this recipe, start by boiling the water...

So yeah, that's my first train memory. Nothing too crazy, but it's still nice to remember the start of my interest in trains. Anybody else remember your first train memory?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
  2. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

I was 2 when I started loving trains especially subway as I was riding it daily, then as I have a lot of family members at the SNCF I got more interested on the wonderful train world and now I’m working at the SNCF for thé Transilien network. Here’s a picture when I was around 6 on the knees of the TGV driver, he lets me drive it for 10 seconds ( just pushing the throttle as the cruise control was on ) before the shot it was so intense I’ll never forget it. It was in a TGV Duplex at 320 kph. Since then I live happily with the train virus 1E016A9C-2AB1-43D5-BEAD-4C2778F981F2.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  3. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

Oh wow, I can't imagine how cool it must be to sit in the cab of one of Europe's fastest trains. You lucky individual :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

5. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

When I was a wee nipper, I used to play in a park in Harrow (then in Middlesex) which was next to the West Coast Main Line. This was in the last years of steam.

Unbelievably, I’d ignore the steam engines and get all excited when I saw a diesel come past. I suppose it was the novelty of the thing at the time.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Alex_m30x#7297

Alex_m30x#7297 Well-Known Member

I dont have any pictures but my first memory seamed like an adventure at the time!
    We took a 455 down from wimbledon to woking before boarding a 450/444 to Portsmouth harbour, we even got a croissant on board!
    After looking around the dockyards (the mary rose etc.) we did the same return journey, It was great and felt like the furthest ive ever been by train which i think it is still!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

FB_IMG_1496485604231.jpg First train memory is of sitting in my pram at this exact spot as a steam hauled goods train came hurtling through the station.This is Moston near Manchester by the way. I am told I screamed the place down but it didn't put me off, I was hooked.

• Like Like x 5
  8. lukas#1835

lukas#1835 Active Member

I think I met the DB Dosto train for the first time Screenshot_20210713-110419_Gallery.jpg
    Db Dosto.

but I learned to love trains through the S-Bahn Berlin, more precisely the BR481, the unique sound of this series always tells me that I have arrived in Berlin.
    Screenshot_20210628-220613_Gallery.jpg
    BR 481

• Like Like x 2
  9. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

A view similar to this is probably my earliest train memory.

This is Blakedown station in Worcestershire, with Churchill and Blakedown signal box behind, where I spent a lot of time as a child. The line goes to Kidderminster where it links with the Severn Valley Railway, so it was a pretty great place for a kid into trains. The other way goes to Birmingham Snow Hill, which is a little less great xD.

It was more likely to be a Class 150 in Centro trains green though, than a regional railways 156.

The signal box was manned until about 10 years ago when the signalling was centralised. Although Network Rail dismantled it, it was saved by a local historical society and rebuilt for use as a community space a short distance away on the other side of the tracks, which is nice to discover, but I will always remember the view like this.

[​IMG]

http://www.railwayherald.co.uk/imagingcentre/view/572503/LC

• Like Like x 1
  10. penguinmatt#1924

penguinmatt#1924 Active Member

My earliest memory of getting the train would have been going from Woodbridge to Lowestoft on the East Suffolk line before they made it single track.
    My dad told the guard when we bought our tickets that it was my first time on a train, so he took us up to and into the cab to see the driver while we were going along. I can't exactly remember the train itself (I was probably only 4 or 5 at the time), but it was likely to have been a Blue and Grey Class 101, which might explain why I've got a bit of a soft spot for them in TSW.

• Like Like x 2
  11. andrewandjane66

andrewandjane66 Well-Known Member

The nameplate"City of Truro" on a Class 47 in the mid seventies.

• Like Like x 1
  12. brfan#9132

brfan#9132 Active Member

I was very very very young and saw my first train which was a class 43 in the FGW livery

13. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

I only remembered my 1st after getting a whiff of old diesel oil on wooden sleepers on a hot day recently.
    That smell instantly jumped me back to standing in front of 50046 in Penzance station bay platform in 1976! It was the exact same temperature and smell, must have been!
    Dad took a photo of me and my sister in front of this huge, amazing corporate blue engine, on slide film. I will post it if I can scan it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Your Dosto is the one found in game for Main Spessart Bahn Ruhr Sieg Nord Hamburg-Lübeck and Rapid Transit. Mine are Tatra RT8D5M and Hyundai Rotem 2000 series both are Manila Philippines MRT Network.
    RT8D5M
    [​IMG]
    Bottom is Hyundai Rotem 2000 Series for Line 2 MRT Manila
    [​IMG]
    In 2003-2006 These trains have a driver.
    Next is the United States where I went on Arrow III
    [​IMG]

15. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

When I was a toddler my Grandad would take me trainspotting and I would always see class 360’s!

• Like Like x 1
  16. gibsonaj1

gibsonaj1 Active Member

I've been into trains since birth. My father was a London Underground tube driver and my mother used to take me on my father's train so I could see my father more or I'd wait on a certain bridge waving at the passing trains. As I grew up I had various train sets and had regular cab rides with my father when permission was granted. I've love train and railways in general all my life and even worked on the London Underground as a guard then briefly as a driver until I encountered 3 people who committed suicides in front of my train. I now suffer from long term mental health issues which forced me to be medically retired. So TSW2 is a godsend to a depressed ex train driver that just loves to drive trains

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  17. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

I’d use the GWML to go to Ealing Broadway or Paddington when I’d go out with my mum

18. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

Ever since I was little, I remember I was fascinated by trains. We used to take the train to visit my grandparents and I loved it. The best moment was when the driver of a waiting freight train took me up into the locomotive. At that point, I knew I wanted to be a train driver when I grew up.

And then some years later I got glasses and the dream dissolved. But I can still live out this dream thanks to simulators :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

I can’t honestly remember when I actually first became interested in trains it was more a thing that developed very gradually over the years of my life. Whilst I’ve never been a train anorak or train obsessive I do recall the 70s and 80s as being periods where I became more aware of them with regards to having an interest in them.

20. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Boarding a French train at Le Havre, headed for Paris. I was six. After that, quite a few DB trains, especially our local Oberammergau Special.

What I most remember, and most miss, is passenger compartments. All intercity coaches should be that way; whoever came up with the idea to replace them with open seating should have his grave desecrated.

• Like Like x 2
  21. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

I love partner compartments! This is why I like MK1’s

22. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

For me it was trainspotting with my Dad at Cardiff Central, this would have been around 2005/6 as I was around five years old. Things weren't drastically different then than they are now, obviously nowadays the HSTs have been relegated to the Taunton Stoppers and the line is electrified, but those are all changes that happened as recent as 2 or 3 years ago.

I already miss the deafening screech of the Pacers in some twisted Stockholm Syndrome type of way. I miss the lottery of getting the train down to Cardiff from my home in the Valleys and wondering whether I'd be lucky with a Sprinter or have to put up with a Pacer for an hour. I guess the moral of the story is you need to have bad stuff in life to appreciate what's good.