It’s Not Coming Home

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by UnlimitedMagic, Jul 13, 2021.

1. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

Well England lost. Kinda sad. But England played well this tournament so they deserve some merit. I just hope they can redeem themselves in the World Cup.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Totally agree. They went through the tournament unbeaten (apart from pens). They only conceded 2 goals in 7 games, one of which was a wonder free kick that no goalkeeper would have stopped. And let's not forget the minor point that they beat Germany.

Just need to work on scoring more goals to relieve the stress they put us through, like they did against Ukraine.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

I'm glad it didn't come home by the way our fans were before the game. Very embarrassing and disgraceful. We don't deserve it after that behaviour

• Like Like x 2
  4. lmcpfc2014

lmcpfc2014 Well-Known Member

Our players deserve it and so do the fans. Although some of our fans were stupid, there were only 30 of them out of the 60,000 in the stadium and millions of fans watching at home. After the depressing year we've had with our awful, useless government we deserve something to celebrate.

• Like Like x 4
  5. junior hornet

Our fans didn’t behave badly. A bunch of ignorant hooligans who had no respect for football or anything else did.

• Like Like x 5
  6. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

It’s not true it isn’t coming home. It’s still coming home just via the World Cup. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

It's the better tournament let's face it :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

It's truly sad that there are people out there who target certain groups in the way they were targeted. It was no one person fault that they did not win. It just turned out to be that one team was more determined to win and they did. I wish England better luck in the next Cup match.

There really needs to be a zero tolerance to this type of behavior it is just not acceptable.

• Like Like x 3
  9. wombleway

wombleway Well-Known Member

Talking of zero tolerance, I can't wait to see the teams openly standing against inequality at the World Cup next year, or better yet, choosing not to go... The Qatari's view on LGBT, migrants, and human rights isn't brilliant.

Mind you, they'll sort out any drunken louts quickly enough!

• Like Like x 5
  10. junior hornet

I seriously worry about the health and safety of the players who have to play in the heat in Quatar. No doubt they will have to play in the heat of the afternoon to appease the TV companies and their advertising revenue. Sadly, these days money comes before than the players’ health.

11. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

The Qatari world cup Is being played in the winter months, when it is much cooler, I think they say it was around ~20°, so it shouldn't be too bad. Plus the stadiums are air conditioned as well.

• Like Like x 2
  12. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

The England team broke the record very quickly at the beginning of the final. The subsequent tactic is obviously "defensive counterattack." However, only the defense did not counterattack. The second half did not improve until it was equalized by Italy. The madness of the last ten minutes belonged to the England team, and one of the surprising things was that Sterling could barely see him in the second half. Sterling's biggest feature is that he likes to break into the penalty area and fall. The Italian defender will not easily confront him in the penalty area. Does Sterling rarely see him shooting from long range?

13. trainsimplayer

I don't know what game you were watching but the entire Second half was Italy's.

And Sterling was just a cheating [...]. The Italians eventually just began tackling him, as the ref just knew he was diving.
    Firstly he got the 'penalty which wasn't' against Denmark, by diving. Then he tried it against Italy when there was a decent referee who saw right though it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. shhweeet#4292

:D:D:D

Dearie me! We’d better not mention all the dirty tackles from the Italians that the referee let go and at least one stone wall sending off they should have had then.

• Like Like x 2
  15. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

It is only a very small percentage of fans, but of course they get the publicity. I wouldn't actually call them fans, mindless yobs I think is a more suitable term.

A few shouldn't spoil it for the many.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  16. theorganist

The Italians were hardly beyond the pale!

• Like Like x 2
  17. theorganist

Sadly, the Guardian quotes the death toll at 6,500 for migrant workers building the stadiums.

They should never have been awarded it in the first place.

• Like Like x 4
  18. trainsimplayer

No, they shouldn't have. It could have went anywhere else but money prevailed.

What has happened to this game...

• Like Like x 2
  19. theorganist

Well you said it, money has happened to it. Not all of it legitimate I imagine especially where the awarding of major competitions is concerned.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  20. shhweeet#4292

Business as usual then. It’s not a modern phenomenon though because the entire worlds been that way since Noah was a lad ;)

21. wombleway

wombleway Well-Known Member

Sterling could trip over a long blade of grass...

Incidentally, what's the point of shin pads? When I used to wear them, they were firm enough to afford some protection against heavy tackles, but they seemed to have cheapened the manufacturing process in more recent years, which results in players falling to the ground, clutching their shins and ankles as if wounded in battle...

• Like Like x 1
  22. trainsimplayer

They still do protect (most of the time). There's just a hell of a lot of acting involved.

• Like Like x 1
  23. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Ora basta! Avete perso!! Ci sarà sempre un’altra occasione!!!

24. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

This is my understanding of football :)

• Like Like x 2
  25. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Please. England tied for the championship. The trophy was awarded to Italy by coin toss.

(There never was a sillier way of deciding a first-class sporting contest than the penalty shootout, which really does amount to a coin toss).

• Like Like x 3
  26. trainsimplayer

I bet any money if England had won the whole "coin-toss/game of luck" arguement wouldn't have shown up.

The Italians would certainly have took it on the chin - especially considering how far they had come since 2018.

The thing about Penalties is... It's about... Scoring Penalties. Aka. not missing / Aka. Try not to let the keeper save it.

I mean, who in their right mind puts a 19 year old (nothing against him, of course) in a extreme-pressure situation which decided if you win a trophy or not!

I mean, thankfully he did, and thankfully he messed it up, but from a Neutral POV (not mine) it's a bit daft.

Forza Italia :D

• Like Like x 2
  27. shhweeet#4292

ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz

DTG protagonist are you taking note?

28. trainsimplayer

What's to take note of?

Everything said by myself was civil and - importantly - non-agressive. Unlike half of your posts across the threads.

I think I'll unwatch this thread rather than get caught up in this.

• Like Like x 2
  29. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

Probably a good idea, I saw the last thread :)

30. theorganist

I don't think penalties are ideal but you could keep replaying until the cows come home and still not get a result. I suppose penalties are the best compromise.

I think any supporter of any country would take winning on penalties over not winning a competition at all, but I think the vast majority would agree it isn't the best way to win a competition.

Italians are very passionate about football, however I suspect most of them would have been slightly begrudging if England had won the penalty shoot out, I am sure they are as capable as being sore losers as everyone else.

I personally haven't heard any England fan criticise Italy for winning on penalties, although I am sure many have.

I don't believe many football supporters wouldn't be hypocritical in those circumstances, whether they support England, Italy the Faroe Islands or Scotland!

• Like Like x 1
  31. 59321747

The ending is set, and the England team has lived up to the expectations of many fans.

• Like Like x 1
  32. shhweeet#4292

The golden goal in extra time ( 1st to score wins ) would be preferable to the pot luck nature of penalties. It’s not an ideal solution either and has it’s detractors but at least the game is won via open play. Of course we could always actually re play the final but crowded schedules etc don’t really make that a viable option these days either.

Pens are an awful way to win or lose a final and tbh even if England had won it wouldn’t have sat that comfortable with me because I’d rather win something via open play simply because it would have more merit attached to it.

But it was what it was and under the current rules Italy deserved to win the Euros.

• Like Like x 2
  33. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Before he kicks, the shooter has decided if he's going left or right. Before the shooter kicks, the keeper has decided if he's going to leap left or right. Top-level goalies almost never fail to save if they jump the right way. Coin toss.

Far better would be sudden-death overtime: first team to score wins.

• Like Like x 1
  34. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The golden goal was a terrible idea. It replaced normal extra time rather than penalties. I remember England scoring when it was a thing and everyone thought they had won and then the goal was disallowed for a marginal foul. Imagine if that was in a final and your team going from winning the World Cup one second to not winning it and the absolute dejection that causes for the players and crowd. It was awful to watch extra time with the golden goal. Penalties are a fair system because there are five each and football has never been a who scores first game, always a who scores most game. It’s clear cut as to whether each penalty was scored or not, and there is always a winner based on two aspects of standard footballing skill, penalty taking and goalkeeping. After either team fails to win a game after two hours of playing it is always going to be a bit of a lottery because of the luck component of penalty kicks but it is a fair system. Not perfect but still fair.

• Like Like x 1
  35. shhweeet#4292

Perhaps there only really fair way would be to call it a draw and both teams share the cup / title. Having only half a World Cup star on the shirt isn’t a good idea though I must admit. ;)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  36. junior hornet

The problem with the golden goal was that teams were so scared to concede when there would be no comeback that both teams spent the extra time period defending for their lives.

They tried the silver goal where, if a team scored in the first half of extra time and maintained their lead until half time, they would win but that was just silly. It didn’t last long.

• Like Like x 2
  37. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

I was at Wembley for the first ever golden goal. It was 1996 and Carlisle Utd played Birmingham City in the Auto Windscreens Final (lower league challenge Cup for the non Brits). It was right after the start of the second half of extra time. Carlisle had been all over them in the first half and for an instance I was still convinced we had 15 mins to equalise and win. Then the reality set in and I realised it was all over. To be honest I felt cheated out of a 'fair fight', so much so we cancelled our stay and drove 6 hours home. One of my friends played for them at the time and he felt pretty much the same. I think it was pretty much hated universally by players.
    With regard to how you finally decide it your limited by options, as it's a knock out tournament a replay is highly unlikely. Then all your left with is what we witnessed on Sunday ie extra time and then penalties. As unfair as losing on penalties feels, I do take heart in that we tried (at times)and accept that ultimately we did just that, we only lost on penalties not on the actual game. Redemption comes to those patient enough and for that give you Stuart Pierce as a perfect example. Missed a penalty in a world cup but come the euros and penalties again absolutely cannonballed it in and exorcised the demon. I'm sure given the chance again those players won't miss.
    If I take anything from the current team, after being skeptical at the start, is the fact it is a team. Gone are the egos that ruled the team and the players are something we can all be proud of, more so the way they have conducted themselves in light of the subsequent S*** they have had to put up with.
    When I was young this was how England footballers finished the game! images-10.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  38. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I watched the "penalty shoot out" in the final and nothing could be more nerve racking than that, judging by the faces (mostly hidden behind hands) of the spectators. At least a "golden goal" would be over in an instant.

39. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

You want instant gratification and decisive winners and losers? Gentlemen I give you test match cricket where you play for 5 days straight and still end up with a draw!!

40. junior hornet

You can't beat a game that has meal breaks.

• Like Like x 4
  41. 59321747

I also thought of some questions. England play so conservatively at home (after scoring a goal), do they think there are no fans in the stadium?

42. shhweeet#4292

Blame Southgate. Just look at the talent he left on the bench either unused or hardly used.

43. Hidden Donkey

Hidden Donkey Active Member

sad but good team won