Dtg’s Bizarre Announcement Policies

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Jul 16, 2021.

1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

So today, we’ve been told that there will be an announcement about (we don’t know) but at the same time we have also been told not to set our expectations high.

Seriously? If it is something minor, then why not just say what it is? Naturally people are bound to get excited and speculate when they don’t know what it is, and then get disappointed when it is something of little interest.

Have DTG not learnt from their epic fail of when they did ‘The Big Reveal’?

If it really is something of not much interest, then just say what it is. Stop creating unnecessary hype, DTG.

Rant over.

• Like Like x 39
  2. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

This is dovetail we are talking about, so expect anything odd with their announcements. Always exaggerating things that are nothing much

• Like Like x 3
  3. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

We have something to announce, and it will be revealed on Thursday. The stream will offer further details.

We can edit the name of the stream, or we can continue to communicate with you that the this isn't anything that we predict you will be overy excited about such as a release date for Rush Hour.

The last thing we want is for you to get your hopes up for a reveal you are eagerly anticipating and to leave you disappointed.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 13
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
  4. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

Can someone remind what the 'big reveal' was?

5. londonmidland

Many people thought it was going to be the long delayed editor, but it was in fact the console release of TSW.

The fact that it was teased for so long, as well as posted in a PC thread, was a massive marketing fail.

• Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

Ouch... 2018 right?

• Like Like x 1
  7. londonmidland

I believe so.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

And subsequent major announcements have been the small, underwhelming and insignificant announcements of TSW2 and Rush Hour (with Spirit of Steam). The first one was teased before an announement and there was plenty of hype beforehand, the second was announcedon a random stream with about half an hour's notice.

I'd say they have. They're also not saying it's a major announcement, just it's an announcement.

• Like Like x 4
  9. FeralKitty

FeralKitty Well-Known Member

While it's human nature to believe that others agree with us or think the way we do, I don't believe everyone has the same opinion.

Perhaps it's nothing much to you, but not nothing much to others (or the people who worked on it)?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

For a second I thought I was in the TS20xx forum...

• Like Like x 1
  11. FeralKitty

FeralKitty Well-Known Member

DTG is not responsible for our reactions (positive or negative), and they're not to blame if some are disappointed.

Instead of expecting DTG to change their "policy," we should change our thinking to not blame others for how we feel.

This just seems like another "DTG is not doing it right" thread. The reality is that no matter what DTG does, some people will be unhappy with DTG's way of doing business.

If DTG followed your suggestion, I'm sure there would be people who would be "upset" that DTG isn't creating "hype."

(Personally, I'm looking forward to the announcement, whatever it is. I'd prefer some anticipation, than none at all.)

• Like Like x 10
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  12. trainsimgaming1001

trainsimgaming1001 Well-Known Member

Personally, I think this is related to either Rush Hour or Sprit of Steam. We have not had much info about Spirit of steam, so I think the latter is more likely. It is unlikely Dovetail would do a Stream to announce that Rush Hour had been delayed, as when TSW2 was delayed, that was done by an Article. If its not the Rush Hour or Roadmap Stream, and there are no new routes besides rush hour coming soon, what else could there be? I am going to start the speculation here. Maybe we will finally get the Editor or maybe we will get Spirit of Steam Info? Maybe a Preview Steam for the Rivet Games Standard 1938 Stock? We can only guess

13. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

This is really a non-issue.

Cheers

• Like Like x 10
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

Thursday seems to be going to talk about the past, present and future of the "simulated train world".

15. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

I notice that the original question has failed to be addressed either by Natalie’s reply or subsequent posts i.e. why announce an announcement? Why not just announce whatever it is?

Sam and Matt are going to have their work cut out on the Roadmap stream on Tuesday. I predict they will be inundated with comments asking what the announcement is no matter how much they tell us it won’t be covered in that stream.

• Like Like x 2
  16. trainsimgaming1001

Thursday does seem to be an Unusual Day for a Route Preview, as Thursdays are when routes usually release. I am going with Last-Gen Console Related Drama

• Like Like x 2
  17. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

This is a good point. I've been wondering about DTG's marketing strategy for a while. Sure, if it's a big announcement like Rush Hour then hype it up for a bit but if it "isn't anything that we predict you will be overly excited about" then don't post an announcement stating there will be an announcement. Just announce it when you are ready and surprise everyone.

On another unrelated note, I can't believe that we still don't have a release date for Rush Hour. I would rather DTG announce a date a few months in advance and then have to delay like they did last year (and what pretty much every other developer does) than just say "summer" and then with approx. 6 weeks of summer left we still don't have a date leading to wild speculation.

• Like Like x 4
  18. trainsimgaming1001

Well, I have got speculation of the Release date:
    5, 12, 19, or 26th of August. In other words, all the Thursday of August. Personally, Though, I think it's Xbox One and PS4 being discontinued. I doubt it is a Nintendo Switch Version. They would have to cut out too much. Look what Playway had to do with Car Mechanic Simulator 2018 to make it run on the Nintendo Switch. Compare the Switch version against the Full PS4 version. That proves the switch is just too underpowered for an Unreal 4 game like TSW. Xbox One and PS4 being discontinued would make sense. First of all, Rush Hour. Its got a huge timetable. BML had 700 services from a Dev Screenshot, and it is bound to be more in the Final Release, and they were not able to do all the layers on HMA. Plus, it would allow for longer routes to be made. Part of the reason we do not have 100 Miles+ Routes is because of a Limitation on older consoles. If the older consoles were discontinued, TSW could take advantage of the Power of PC and Xbox Series X/S and PS5, meaning longer routes, larger Timetables, and more. Why else would they make a dedicated Xbox series X/S and PS5 Release when the older ones work fine and do take advantage of Better Graphics and Performance

19. conniethunder

conniethunder Well-Known Member

I'm putting my money on steam loco related. Otherwise , meh, to anything else.

20. trainsimgaming1001

DTG did tell us that it will not be that exciting for existing players, and they also told us to set out expectations low, so I doubt this is Spirit of Steam Related, but then again, knowing DTG, they might have said that to throw us off. Remember the 'Big Reveal' a few years back that was thought to be the PC Editor but was the Console Release of TSW, which anyone who read it probably will not care as they likely already had it on PC. Speaking truly though, we really do need the editor. It would remove a lot of pressure on DTG to make routes Perfect and would also make it so they do not need to make as much DLC, as an Editor would mean anyone could do it. And it would not be a Redistribution of Epic Games lP, it would be a Mod in the Unreal Modding Tab, like what DTG said it would be. Personally, I think we might get an Editor. Some day. Maybe the 2023 Release of TSW...

• Like Like x 1
  21. londonmidland

The editor is dead in the water due to x, y & z reasons. You’re beating a dead horse here as it isn’t and will not come.

Seeing as it’s an interest for only new players, clearly it’s something sales/marketing related. Nothing to excite us existing players.

• Like Like x 4
  22. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I have a secret…… you my good sir however can wait a few days.

This is what happened

23. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

My guess on this is that they will be announcing the separation of Rush Hour (the 3 new routes with the new passenger system) and the Unreal Engine 4.26 update (including the immersion controller improvements). They are probably behind with the routes but the other updates are still on schedule for this summer. They did say some good news, some not so good.

• Like Like x 2
  24. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

Remember the other big reveal? Perhaps Sam's secret? Well, it was steam, wasn't it? So I think DTG has learned about that. Cause this big reveal was worth the specualtion. In fact it was a big reveal. We should not forget that.

• Like Like x 3
  25. appledates#4945

appledates#4945 Well-Known Member

It sounds like they have something to announce and they have said not to set our expectations high, which with everyone waiting for a Rush Hour date, it’s good that they have said this. What are your expectations for setting expectations for announcements? Does something only qualify and thus can be labeled as an announcement if you personally find it interesting and exciting?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  26. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

I doubt it as they have said that it will be of little interest to existing players. Delays to routes would be of great interest to existing players.

• Like Like x 6
  27. Alex_m30x#7297

Alex_m30x#7297 Well-Known Member

They have said that they would not discontinue last gen consoles as they make up the majority of the player bade

• Like Like x 5
  28. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

It is DTG, that alone should set expectations to minus 60. They are incapable of not letting us down.

• Like Like x 4
  29. conniethunder

If Microsoft can do away with Windows '98 / XP and 7even, the best O/S's made for gamers and home users, then I'd be wary of last gen console support getting dumped by DTG.
    It's far easier to cater for PC users using a level of graphics detail settings that 'we' can adjust to suit, than keep making builds that will run on fixed levels of hardware.!

• Like Like x 2
  30. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

You're forgetting that last gen console players form the vast majority of the player base and DTG's revenue.. TSW could not continue with PC players alone.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  31. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

If they abandoned Last-Gen consoles any time soon the game would be literally down the financial drain.

• Like Like x 3
  32. trainsimgaming1001

The Thing Is, with Windows 7, you can continue playing most new games on it that still get content. With TSW being discontinued on Last Gen, It would be different. Content would not continue coming. I do highly recommend last gen consoles going though, as it would allow TSW to take advantage of Better Graphics and Longer Routes. By the way, I am a PC peasant

33. trainsimplayer

Firstly, PC graphics are all ready better than last-gen consoles, so that's hardly much of a factor. It could be better, but it's not like PC graphics are bad.

Secondly, the claim of longer routes is innaccurate.

The main reason route lengths are restricted is because of the time they take to make. Getting rid of last gen consoles would hardly make a difference. It's not like a longer route would crash a PlayStation 4 or Xbox One. Because of how TSW loads only the relevant area when needed.

• Like Like x 5
  34. conniethunder

That's not what I stated.
    By last gen., I simply mean that unless you own a PS5/XBOX S (or whatever latest gen. is called), support will be dropped for the older consoles, and I think by the end of the year.
    To make the use of latest gen. consoles 'power', they can't continue to make a build specifically for last generation.

Just so we understand, Last gen. is NOT latest gen.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I highly doubt that. The majority of console players are still on last gen thanks to the current shortage. Cutting off the majority of ~ 66% (source: Sam) of TSW players doesn‘t make any economic sense. I‘d wager next years core update as the earliest point where support might be dropped, but depending on how the retail situation of current gen consoles evolve, they may end up being supported for even longer.

• Like Like x 6
  36. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

This taken from the Train Sim World2 Rush Hour article:

• Will Train Sim World 2 continue to be supported on Xbox One and PlayStation 4?
      We have no plans to stop supporting Xbox One or PlayStation 4, and future Add-Ons releasing after Rush Hour will be released across all platforms: Steam, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S.
    So as you can see from this they will continue to support all consoles for the long term.

• Like Like x 3
  37. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Due to the global microprocessor shortages and of course Covid....it could be another 2-3 years before we see the current gen consoles become freely available. Last gen console support will need to be around for alot longer than just next year (assuming DTG want to hold onto 66% of their userbase -- which I assume they do)

• Like Like x 2
  38. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

I agree at least 2-3 years of support before they even start thinking of not supporting those.

It took me 1 1/2 months to find a Series X literally calling every store I could think of everyday to see if they got a shipment in. And I live in Calgary so it's not a small town or anything like that.

Even when I found some they only got 12 in and by the time I got to the store about an hour later there were only 3 left.

It will suck though as on the previous roadmap there are going to be some features the older consoles just won't get. I can't see passengers being increased that much, and I'm pretty sure the Dresden layers are pretty much going to be off of separate timetables on them as well.

And the new bespoke versions will be pretty much the same as PC, full layers and passengers. And better draw distance.

39. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree. The situation may very well continue as-is for quite some time. If consoles suddenly become widely available by some miracle, then I could see next year as the cut-off point. But from what we can say currently, last gen will probably have to be supported for quite some time.

It's an unpleasant situation for old gen users. HMA has shown that last gen is already at the maximum of what it can deliver. I would imagine that most rush hour features will only make it to last gen in a very reduced form. For BRD for example, I think it would already be a success if the default timetable can be brought over with no cuts, that's not even taking layers into account. An increase in passenger numbers will probably also be minor if it makes it at all.

I just hope that everyone here planning to upgrade will have an opportunity to do so quite soon if they haven't had the chance already :)

• Like Like x 2
  40. Ferrovipathe67

Ferrovipathe67 Well-Known Member

maybe that it is multiplayer the multiplayer was not in the roadmap and matt and Matt said multiplayer will be added but off the roadmap.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  41. londonmidland

From another thread.

42. BladesAndRazors

BladesAndRazors Member

Always the same "DTG is bad" circlejerks but still buying each DLC

This thread should go to the recycle bin.

• Like Like x 17
  43. helderbrincolas

helderbrincolas Well-Known Member

Exaclty ahahahaha, all here getting mad because of this announcement thing... Like it's an announcement who cares if is important or no. Because it's not the release date everyone got mad ahahaha. And then this type of thread are created because of the frustation ahahaha omg, like get your selves a life, and yall wouldnt be mad or frustated about this

• Like Like x 1
  44. trainsimplayer

I mean when a stream is called "announcement" and left vague it implies it will be somewhat exciting.

Then it's declared it won't be.

Me personally I'm not bothered but I can see other's POV.

• Like Like x 1
  45. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Exciting and interesting are very different things.

We want to avoid accidentally leading you into thinking we are delivering something really exciting that you have been waiting for. But that doesn't mean what we are sharing this week isn't interesting, and although our existing players might not find the news exciting we do think you will get value from the stream.

I understand we are being super vague and that's frustrating. But the decision to inform you about an upcoming announcement will make more sense on Thursday.

• Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
  46. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

Continues to be super vague ;)

• Like Like x 5
  47. Michael Newbury

Great job on driving everyone nuts.....So is it Thursday yet....

• Like Like x 4
  48. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

So, it's a Q&A stream on Thursday.

49. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

Does no one like surprises anymore?

• Like Like x 4
  50. Michael Newbury

They're starting to lose the luster.

• Like Like x 1