Tutorial: How To Make A Good ‘suggestions’ Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Olaf the Snowman, Feb 6, 2021.

?
  1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. Yes

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. Maybe

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Not sure

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Yes

8 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

I have noticed a lot of threads in the suggestions area on the forum and I think people should read this before making a thread as a lot of them are not well written at all. Here are my top tips:

Edit: if you have any tips, please reply to the thread and I’ll add it to the list
    1. The title should be, “Route suggestion.” Why do people think a suitable, appropriate title would be the name of the route? YOUR THREAD IS THE ONLY ROUTE SUGGESTION THAT MATTERS. THEREFORE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO NAME YOUR THREAD, ’ROUTE SUGGESTION.’
    2. The post should contain no more than 10 words. And definitely do not contain any pictures or maps. People have no time for long, well thought out posts. The shorter the better. If they don’t happen to be from the UK and haven’t heard of the route, they should go and research it themselves. It’s not your problem.
    3. Write in ALL CAPS and BOLD and in MASSIVE WRITING. HAVE I MENTIONED, YOUR THREAD IS THE ONLY SUGGESTION THAT MATTERS? You need people to know that by writing in ALL CAPS and BOLD. Also, you are doing a great service to members who don’t have good eye sight. Thank you for your consideration.
    4. Tag all the administrators. Yes, we know they read every thread and yes, we know they don’t like being tagged. But this is important. Your thread needs to be seen. NOW.
    5. Spam the thread in each forum. You could post your suggestion in the suggestions forum. But if you really want your thread to be seen and you want people to know how passionate you are about the suggested route, write a thread in each forum: PC Discussion, Xbox Discussion, PlayStation Forum, Technical reports. Maybe even the Fishing forum. YOUR THREAD NEEDS TO BE SEEN BY EVERYONE.
    6. Use the correct terminology: We need this route not want. Unlike all the other route suggestions in the forum, your suggestion is completely selfless and is for the good of humanity. It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it is your favourite route or you happen to live on said route. (Credit to forum member, FD1003)
    7. Be ambitious. Nearly all routes so far that have been released have a route length of approx. 50 miles. But don’t be put off. If you want a 400 mile route from London to Edinburgh, you say so. Don’t take NO for an answer! (Credit to forum member, Stujoy)
    8. Never return to the forum. Ok, so you’ve just created an account and you’ve made a suggestions thread. No doubt, some members may reply to the thread with questions or further suggestions. Don’t bother replying and better still, never return to the forum. PEOPLE LIKE SUSPENSE. (Credit to forum member, Stujoy)
    9. Always add a poll. Make sure it’s a leading question and double points if it confuses the hell out of everybody. For example: Do you think this is an amazing idea? Yes, Yes, Maybe.

Now for an example. I saw this absolute gem yesterday. Be more like this guy.

EC660F27-ACCA-4AE9-B13D-0193B38DA5E5.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 22
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  2. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Thanks mate, that really helped, I can't wait to tell everyone that TSW NEEDS my favourite route

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. HamioSamio098

HamioSamio098 Well-Known Member

Looks like my suggestions aren't up to standard then! ;)

• Like Like x 2
  4. railway12

railway12 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the guide very informative, but you technically broke your rules by posting this ;)
    Btw in my route suggestion I sadly encountered the picture limit...

• Like Like x 3
  5. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

And I thought I should invest time into a suggestion, I‘m so grateful you told me how to do it properly :D

/sarcasm off. You can drag and drop as many pictures you can find online as you want into a single post. If you want to use pictures you took yourself, may be worth uploading them on some other online platform so that you can use the drag and drop of online pictures to your advantage.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

You are still limited to 20 photos if you use an outside hosting service.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Ok, thanks for correcting me. I didn‘t know that :)

8. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It’s vitally important that your very first post on the forum is requesting a famous fast Japanese route in the correct format as shown in the guide above.

• Like Like x 6
  9. Articuno

Articuno Well-Known Member

Most commonly seen:

ECML: London-Edinburgh
    or:
    WCML: London-Glasgow

Usually without bothering to look at the already numerous posts for both of these routes.

10. Olaf the Snowman

Haha, I was waiting for you to see this thread. I remember when I first joined the forum, whenever there was a silly suggestions thread with no effort put in, you and a few others would often write a sarcastic reply. But it looks like you’ve all given up now and just let them get on with it :)

I’ve added 2 more tips based on your post :)

• Like Like x 2
  11. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

I haven't been active for a while so missed this thread. So have a belated :D

I haven't been active because I've been waiting for DTG to create the whole of the British railway network switchable for use in multiple eras complete with all the relevant rolling stock. They seem to be dragging their feet a little. Perhaps I should create a thread to gee them along. Or better still perhaps I should first create a thread with a poll asking whether I should create a thread without a poll.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Olaf the Snowman

What an excellent idea, I’ve gone to the trouble of highlighting the routes so feel free to use it in your thread.
    I expect to see the Hogwarts express and Polar express too. If not, I’ll probably wait for a sale.

9CB4977B-E0E2-4746-A199-0360088F1CA0.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
  13. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

I didn't even know I also needed every metro tram.

Splendid, "Route suggestion - This" and your map should suffice. Although if they don't include Northern Ireland's railways and the ferries to get there and back again I'm also waiting for a sale. ;)

• Like Like x 4
  14. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  15. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I don't think you quite realised this thread is taking the mick...

• Like Like x 4
  16. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

Instructions not clear, my dog is now standing on my roof.

• Like Like x 4
  17. trainsimplayer

I concur. My Parrot is now Swimming.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

:D:D:D

• Like Like x 3
  19. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

And that's exactly how it should be done. An excellent presentation of a route. :cool:

While not routes I think both would be suitable suggestions as additional features. TSW needs more animal content. ;)

• Like Like x 4
  20. trainsimplayer

Well I was coming to reply to this thread, but because I just so happened to be in the countryside at the time, with literally 1 bar of 4G, I was treated to a rather - different forums.
    Screenshot_20210719_154435_com.android.chrome.jpg
    (Yes, it was half an hour ago I checked it, I'm back to civilisation now :D)

• Like Like x 3
  21. finntd#7891

finntd#7891 Well-Known Member

i just made A suggestions but now that i see this i didnt make it good enough i am a complete failure

• Like Like x 2
  22. Olaf the Snowman

Don’t be too hard on yourself, we all make mistakes. I’ve fixed it for you, no thanks needed.

• Like Like x 3
  23. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

If it doesn't include my house I might wait for a sale, it's the one 100 miles out in the north sea so it's definitely close enough to be modelled ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  24. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

Don't forget mocking up images that look like DTG promotional material.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Reference A.N Other YouTuber and state why they spuriously agree with your suggestion, referencing them stating ' oh, it's nice there' as to why everyone agrees with you as to said route being included.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Speaking of local routes, what happened here Olaf the Snowman? :D
    9CB4977B-E0E2-4746-A199-0360088F1CA0~2.jpeg
    Cuts my local line off around Corkickle, Whitehaven and recommences about Millon. I'm sure Sellafield could do without its major transport link....;)

Remember: The more basic a post you make it ensures other people are sure to fill in the interesting bits that make the route half decent! :D

• Like Like x 2
  27. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

Olaf the Snowman something to add to your funny thread; thread bump every thread in the suggestion forums, just in case people haven’t already seen your thread!

• Like Like x 3
  28. trainsimplayer

I had a lot of temptation to mention trainsimgaming1001 here. They're quite good at necrobumping other's threads. (And naturally burying other's threads)

• Like Like x 2
  29. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

There was also a former member over on the TS2021 side of the forums that had a bad habit of bumping threads with little context, then created a 2nd account to help out.

They have since had their accounts closed by a mod.

30. trainsimplayer

Budtheweiser/Owen buddery?

Yes that was indeed an interesting Saga.

Perhaps he simply using this wonderful, informative and truly helpful guide.

• Like Like x 1
  31. Oo7 BELL 7oO

Oo7 BELL 7oO Active Member

we NEED THIS green route.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1