Route Suggestions: Midwestern Us Rail

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by arundodonax, Jul 21, 2021.

1. arundodonax

arundodonax New Member

As a Chicago native an lifelong resident of the central US, I'd love to see this region represented in TSW! The US routes that we've seen so far are either coastal, or close to it (in the case of Utah), and I'd love to see some representation from the middle states, especially now that DTG has a US affiliate in Skyhook.

A couple suggestions I have, based on some of my favorite routes I've either lived or driven near:

Chicago area - I'd love to see the Union Pacific West line that runs from Ogilvie TC in the Chicago Loop out to Elburn in the western suburbs - I grew up next-door to this line, it features a great indoor transport center in the thick of downtown, several varied areas that the line crosses including the city itself, the industrial areas on the outskirts, and several great Midwestern suburban downtown and residential areas to pass through/stop at. The route also runs a lot of Freight, and I believe there would also be a lot of familiar traction to what is currently found on the Peninsula Corridor route both on the Passenger and Freight ends. It's got something for everyone, and would be a great way to introduce the Midwestern US into TSW.

Southern Minnesota - Empire Builder line. This is an Amtrak line that also runs a lot of Canadian Pacific freight. I absolutely adore the stretch of track from Winona, MN to Red Wing, MN. It's about a 60-mile stretch of track that runs directly along US 61 and the Mississippi River and features gorgeous views of the forests and bluffs that cover the area. The Midwest gets a bad rap as boring, "flyover country," but the Mississippi River Valley offers some truly scenic views that a lot of folks who don't know the area just straight up don't know exists. I would absolutely adore seeing this route in the game.

I would be happy to have an excuse to go trainspotting and photographing in either of these areas (I'm currently a Minneapolis-area resident, but have family in Chicago), so if anyone at DTG is interested I can certainly provide here!

Thanks for your time!
    Keith

• Like Like x 1
  2. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

Milwaukee Road, C&NW, or other midwestern railroads could be great addons.

• Like Like x 2
  3. arundodonax

arundodonax New Member

The El would also be excellent, maybe the Red or Blue line. But, I can understand that one being pretty difficult from a scenery perspective.

4. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Why not have Metra Electric Line since it's a 1.5kv DC commuter route in Chicago Illinois area. Not sure if DTG has a Metra license or not?

5. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Only a rumor I think, but Metra denied DTG licensing for the 3rd Party Chicago Racetrack Route on TS Classic.

• Like Like x 1
  6. arundodonax

arundodonax New Member

That's too bad. It would be nice if they could get it somehow, but I know they have said son stream that some companies have just straight up denied them licensing.

I wonder if Skyhook being affiliated with DTG now - so, a domestic affiliate - may make a difference.

7. csxfan#8403

csxfan#8403 Active Member

Burlington Northern, Chicago Central, Dakota, Minnesota, and Eastern, Soo Line etc.

8. Whiskers

Whiskers New Member

I also live in Chicago! I need a route based here and would love to help anyway I can!

• Like Like x 1