Train Sim World 2 - Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Jul 22, 2021.

1. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

TSW2_EpicStore_Social_Post_LogoBR_V2_1920x1080.jpg The evolution of train simulation will be arriving on the Epic Games Store 29th July and it’s FREE for the first week!

Read the article here.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

You were right about existing players not finding this particularly interesting.

I don’t even know what the Epic Games Store is or how it works lol

• Like Like x 13
  3. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Oh dear.

No cross-compatability obviously, but releasing the new content first on this platform anyway. Why not wait until it is at least out on steam? No one is going to get both, that would be devastating for bank balances and Hard Drive space combined.

No sign of any preserved collection on this platform either so even if I was starting now, I'd start on Steam.

• Like Like x 8
  4. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

MicrosoftTeams-image--54-.jpg
    I like this.

• Like Like x 21
  5. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

I dont, the player model is just alien looking clutter fluff. It still seems like routes cannot be organized from most played, last played etc

its in noway an upgrade on what we had. Its like DTG love clutter and messy UI. Do they actually have full time UI artist or do they just have people contribute odd bits here and there?

• Like Like x 8
  6. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I don't. The driver doesn't look good (which isn't a suprise) and it seems a bit meh. I would like it ordered from most played to least played or they could just stick to the oringal main menu screen as that was fine. Doesn't feel like an upgrade from the original

• Like Like x 6
  7. trainsimplayer

I mean the Driver would he better removed, but the design and the filter options are something I quite like. It looks nice and the filters will be very helpful. Especially for those with larger collections

• Like Like x 5
  8. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's odd.

Can anyone from DTG say why? Can I assume that the plan's to bring them over in the coming months, maybe along with the preserved collection team updates that have been planned for them perhaps?
    Looks cooler I'll admit, but I've gotta be honest would rather have the current one, it displays more of them at once, which is handy.

• Like Like x 3
  9. tallboy7648

I wonder if dtg has actually improved how the people in game look because if the driver is any indication, it doesn't seem like a massive step forward imo

• Like Like x 1
  10. manticor225

manticor225 Well-Known Member

I agree, not a fan of the driver but overall it looks nice and interested to see how the filter works. This at least beats looking at those blurred screenshots of the Preserved Collection in the current menu.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

So why again is it free on Epic store? And probably not compatible with anything on steam or playstation or xbox?

• Like Like x 2
  12. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

On the contrary, existing players will now get new features later than new players. It's worse than "not interesting". I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with time-exclusivity for DLCs, something like 2 weeks earlier release on Epic compared to Steam/PS/Xbox.

• Like Like x 13
  13. trainsimplayer

Wait so people who get it on Epic Games get the Core Update with it or have I miss-read?

14. djkaijones

djkaijones Member

This is why there now charging £35

• Like Like x 4
  15. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

The new main menu looks decent but the player avatar needs to go - it really looks out of place there.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

So far the 4.26 update's the only one which will be exclusive for a period, everything else should remain as normal. Maybe they will change their minds in the future, but it's hardly worth worrying about right now, at least to me.

• Like Like x 1
  17. trainsimplayer

Why would-

18. haninl0610

haninl0610 Active Member

But wait a second... if you download TSW2 for free in the Epic Game store on July 29th, can you still play it for free after the deadline?

19. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Oh dear, first the forums exploded yesterday and now this comes along and adds oil to the fire. I think I'll try to find shelter somewhere before the stream starts :D

And please don't tell me that menu is coming with the summer update for everyone. It looks god-awful in my opinion. The orderly listing of routes right now is way more convenient.

• Like Like x 15
  20. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Are you kidding me DTG????
    Epic Games get at first the new Content, thanks for nothing once again from your Angry and Annoying Customer.

• Like Like x 10
  21. dcnine#5410

dcnine#5410 Well-Known Member

You play/keep it forever.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  22. haninl0610

haninl0610 Active Member

Thnx for answering my question!

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  23. Aran

Aran Well-Known Member

The new Route Selection menu shown in this article looks nice, although I'm not sure about the player character in the corner.
    It's a decent idea, but just doesn't quite work because it covers the route "Tiles".

• Like Like x 2
  24. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Yeah, I noticed that in the faqs but the reason seems solid. I’m going to say that the release date for it was likely to have been the release date for Rush Hour as well but it hasn’t happened that way and the Epic date couldn’t be changed. Just a guess but seems likely. It’s not ideal but it’s not a huge issue to existing players, as we’ll get it when we get it anyway. I’m not going to get all jealous because someone else has the new features a couple of weeks or so before me. There’s not enough time in the day to get worked up over such a thing. It doesn’t affect my experience with the game. I don’t know about it always happening that way for DLC, that’s for the future, but it still doesn’t affect me as I’m not so eager to be the first in line for anything.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Well this is just a big kick in the cajones for existing players and loyal players. Not only will Epic store users get the game free if they download it before the end of the first week, they get the 4.26 upgrades before any other platform
    There has already been a big hoohah on the forums after the announcement yesterday with the season ticket, price increase and staggering of routes and now this.

oh, and I flat out refuse to use Epic store for anything. Their security is lax and accounts get stolen or hacked regularly. I don't recall ever having an EG account but I get 4 or 5 emails a week saying someone has tried to access my account.

• Like Like x 7
  26. Pinguinie

Pinguinie Active Member

Dürfte der Todesstoß sein für jeglichen Multiplayer-Modus und Rollenmodus.

Epic ist nicht bekannt für gemeinsame Spielen. RIP.
    Ein schwarzer Tag für die Zukunft....
    ----

Might be the fatal blow for any multiplayer mode and role mode. Epic is not known for playing together. RIP.
    A black day for the future ...

27. Alex_m30x#7297

Alex_m30x#7297 Well-Known Member

I think every one here can agree
    Screw epic players, they better not stop multiplayer.

28. trainsimplayer

I think everyone here can agree that Multiplayer is still a long time away, if ever.

• Like Like x 5
  29. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

very like epic help DTG

• Like Like x 1
  30. AxelRyrap

AxelRyrap Member

This is disgusting. Steam, PlayStation and Xbox users have funneled hundreds of £/€/$ into TSW and it's DLCs, only to find out they've basically bailed out Epic Games users so they can get the game for free, AND with extra features other platforms can't access yet. I don't blame you for wanting to expand to other platforms and further widen your reach, but why Epic Games, and why in such an insulting way to the established community. This also kills any possible multiplayer aspect in the future, at least with cross play...

• Like Like x 8
  31. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Yes I agree it will quite a while if ever that we will see multiplayer added into TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  32. Snek

Snek Well-Known Member

reposting here where it's more appropriate:
    I don't understand the complaints here. Epic gave DTG a release slot and instead of releasing an old build there they are pushing out the new one, so they don't have to completely update it after a few weeks. It's convenient for DTG and if you feel like you are losing out on the new features you are free to grab the copy of TSW2 on Epic free of charge. It's not like the wait is any longer now that it was yesterday. There is literally no harm for existing players, so don't complain just because someone new might get a free sample.
    Posnetek zaslona (159).png

• Like Like x 11
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  33. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

• Like Like x 1
  34. NYIslanders0902

NYIslanders0902 Active Member

Nice

35. tallboy7648

I really don't see the issue of epic store players getting the game early. I bought F1 2021 Standard Edition on july 15 which was the release date in the U.S. I could've bought f1 2021 deluxe edition and played the game 5 days earlier but i didn't because i didn't want the extra content included in the deluxe edition. I didn't mind waiting a bit longer. Y'all seriously can't wait a few days longer?

Serisouly them getting the update a few days earlier is not a big deal. I can understand why some are annoyed that they are getting the base game for free but i don't get the complaints if all of you here presumably own tsw2 already. It's not like epic store players are gonna get rush hour for free. If some are upset that they can't play the update early, go to the epic store on your pc and download the game. It's free after all for one week

• Like Like x 4
  36. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

we lose nothing on PC, but do we trust them enough to not make this an actual thing they do in the future? because I dont trust them at all.

Someone quote me the first time they reveal a DLC with early release on Epic

• Like Like x 6
  37. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

I don't mind this time as it makes sense to release their current build, so long as Epic don't get any exclusive DLC or future releases before other platforms, I won't mind this time.

I'm annoyed at SEGA at the moment since they've made the Sonic Colours Ultimate remaster an Epic exclusive... It's not good practice!

• Like Like x 3
  38. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Is this available on console after the 29th ?

39. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I agree I do not mind them adding to Epic's store and gaining more users for the game, but the hopes are that DTG stick to their promise of a all platform release at the same time. And not stagger releases across the platforms.

• Like Like x 5
  40. therealandygathercole

therealandygathercole New Member

Ok so the base game and DLC dont migrate over to Epic I get that and I get the reasons why (even if I disagree as I purchased the game via DTG website not from Steam, they then didnt give me an option but to register with steam), but what about our mastery, XP and levels? Say I was to take advantage of the free game on Epic (I dont have any DLC currently for TSW2) and then purchase future DLC including Rush Hour Season Ticket would I keep all my history, or is it a case that Id have to start again?

• Like Like x 2
  41. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

"...anything good for us ultimately benefits existing players."

What a great sentence following the last 24 hours...

• Like Like x 4
  42. vyncwr

vyncwr Member

I don't think it's gonna be a "free copy". I think it's gonna be free to play for a week. Which is a common strategy on Steam as well... I really doubt they going to give away free copies.

43. trainsimplayer

Where you getting the 29th from?
    This is the definition of baseless.

Also, this is a reduced-version of the Core Update, with limited extra features. So all platforms (Epic included) will get the full update whenever NEC shows up.
    So console won't get this version, no.

44. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

0DD939FA-57E5-4731-8E17-52366081ED8B.jpeg A50E4B41-CDC3-47AB-B712-3DE874D8C49D.jpeg AF20EB19-5EF9-4263-BE2C-1952927033EC.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  45. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

That is exactly how Epic Games works - it will be the full game for free to claim in that timeframe. If you claim it it will be yours forever, for free. It will not be F2P only.

it is 100% a free copy if you claim it between those 7 days, like every other game offer they have had on EGS

They did the same thing for Total War Troy - I claimed it and its permanently mine, the full game.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  46. vyncwr

vyncwr Member

I don't get the business behind this.....(apart for the dlcs later) But it's a little unfair for those who payed hard for it in the last years.. Im not envy it's not gonna be better for me if they have to pay more or not. Just little unfair.

• Like Like x 2
  47. trainsimplayer

Sorry there, didn't have to say it three times.

Well in the post you screenshotted it clearly only says Epic Games Store.

As I said, the update isn't out yet, it's just the game going onto Epic. With that they get a couple of features we don't have yet, but they, and we, will get all features down the line.

• Like Like x 1
  48. dcnine#5410

dcnine#5410 Well-Known Member

Essentially, Epic Games likes doing it because it lets them take players away from Steam (giving them more revenue opportunities for the future) and developers like it because it lets players get stuck into the game and become more likely to buy DLCs in future. I would assume that the development costs for TSW2 are paid off now, and more money is to be made on future DLCs (like rush hour).

• Like Like x 9
  49. Geth_2234

Geth_2234 Well-Known Member

Ok I’m not to bothered by epic getting an update early as it makes complete sense to me to release a current build what seems unfair is new players now get the game for free if they purchase it within the first week and “loyal” exsisting players well get nothing and not even a date for release on console and steam because it seems ready to me if new players can have it sounds like something my broadband provider would do, it does seem like a proper kick in the teeth for exsisting players and is like chucking fuel on an already roaring fire after yesterday’s announcement.

(I have read sams discord post and I respect that but it’s not been very well thought out)

• Like Like x 5
  50. trainsimplayer

They clearly don't know yet. If they did know the NEC (which is the deciding factor in the core release here) would need to be in or approaching testing. Then depending on how testing goes it could take longer to get a date.

• Like Like x 2