Train Sim World 2 - Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Geth_2234

Geth_2234 Well-Known Member

Seems like DTG have broken there promise Epic are the worst for cross platform as we know from there little argument with Apple.

• Like Like x 6
  2. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

All they are doing are what other companies do all the time, think about it your cable/satellite, cell phone, internet and even streaming service providers alway give great deals for new customers.

But existing customers don't get the same deals. It is a great way to get new clients and I can't fault or be mad because it standard business practice.

I hope they get alot of new customers they might need them after all the uproar.

• Like Like x 3
  3. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

well I'll be taking advantage of the free version and maintaining both so if a DLC I want is discounted on one store I can grab a bargain. The only downside is the additional HD space required to maintain both versions of the same game but Ive got the space so why not

• Like Like x 2
  4. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

No?

The dispute with Apple was because apple didn't allow In-game purchases to be off the Apple Store (In the case of Epic, or specifically Fortnite, via the Game or the Epic Store), so they banned FN. Naturally Epic (because American companies LOVE lawsuits) took them to court.

Your claim about cross-compatability isn't wrong, but the follow-up is.

5. thundergaming11

thundergaming11 Well-Known Member

It's a shame nobody here will look and understand this :D. Tough week at the office for DTG. We've reached the point where we'll riot over every next decision/step taken... On a serious note, context is important and I think maybe that should've been mentioned either on the article or on the original post. Transparency is key going forward now.

6. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Guarantee this will happen. They've already just broken their simultaneous release policy so it won't even be a new controversy. EGS' entire business model is based on timed-exclusivity deals to bring over users from Steam, and, whatever, I get it, but I think it's naive to think this "preview" will be the only Epic exclusive.

Then they'll probably say, "well, just be glad it's only x weeks/months of exclusivity".

Sorry, I'm being very negative today. If you look at my history, I'm generally pretty positive about DTG and the game, but the past couple of days have been pretty disheartening IMO.

I can only think that maybe this Epic deal quite literally saved the studio because otherwise the decision making is really hard to understand. They'll never say one way or the other because investors, etc, but there's a lot of circumstantial evidence tbh.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 8
  7. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I'm just gonna let this roll right past me. I have all the current dlc so far on the Steam platform. Why would I want another, slightly different version on a platform I've never used before, just to get a jump on the Rush Hour release, which I assume is imminent. Clearly, this is aimed at new players, though I think it will prove to be confusing for everyone if it becomes a regular "thing".
    Is this a new revenue stream for DTG? If so, I can understand it from a business perspective.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

This is not intended for existing players, only new ones.
    The idea is that it is mainly promotion for other customers. If a few people get it for free, they might tell their friends and they actually buy the game. Or, somebody who was on the fence gets the game, enjoys it, and spends money on DLC.

9. DK12345

DK12345 Active Member

I'm actually pleased with this announcement. As a PS4 player, the chance to get a limited version of the game I can play without the console won't be a bad thing (and Bakerloo is such a good route). As for everybody concerned about the Epic players getting part of the core update first, won't this at least give us an early heads up about possible (inevitable) bugs?

• Like Like x 1
  10. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

There are plenty of reasons to be upset with DTG. This ain’t one of them. For DTG, it’s a pretty good deal: every time someone redeems a free copy of the game on Epic Games Store, Epic cuts a cheque to DTG. Even if it just sits in someone’s Epic Games library and never gets played.

You can’t fault Dovetail for looking for a new revenue stream. And if you’re upset that you paid for it six months or a year ago and now other people will get it for free… well, grow up. Life isn’t fair. You thought it was worth the purchase price at the time, and you got to play it 10 months in advance of people who are getting it free now.

• Like Like x 9
  11. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

I do not believe. it should be 2 different installations under two different platforms. If you do not purchase the Epic product after the "trial" week, it will be blocked. For both Steam and Epic users. And you as Steam user will be able to go back to using your copy of TSW purchased on Steam while the Epic user either buys their copy or doesn't play. Will they have the new features first on Epic? Maybe a few days since DTG should release the core update on all platforms in August.

12. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

Again, you clearly have no experience of epic game store. it will be a FULL, FREE game to keep if you claim it within that first week...it is not a demo, it is not a trial, it is the full base game (no DLC) to keep for free.

• Like Like x 3
  13. wombleway

wombleway Well-Known Member

Not really. You've had the enjoyment of playing for months, in the same way that if I buy a DLC the day it comes out, I get to play it immediately but I have to pay full price... Now, you can chance your arm and hope there's a sale (or in this case, a deal made with Epic for a free d/l of the base game), but there's never any guarantees that it'll happen or when.

We could all sit around waiting for a game to be released for free, but then if nobody had bought it originally and showed that it was a popular game, Epic never would've approached DTG to feature the game so we'd all still be sitting on our backsides, twiddling our thumbs!

• Like Like x 3
  14. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

So we're going back to the horizontal scrolling route interface of TSW1....unsure how I feel about that tbh

The list view in TSW2 just seemed cleaner to me (although it could have used filtering options -- something the new UI has at least)

All the hoo haa about the missing flag icons and it won't even be a thing after RH lol

• Like Like x 1
  15. mariussoare_84

mariussoare_84 Well-Known Member

Congratulations DTG for going for this deal in the way you did!

I too have joined the Epic games store as a customer a while ago and despite being behind Steam in terms of functionality and ease of use, I got some Epic deals in the past year and a half. Their hyper-aggressive sales campaigns with giving away coupons, even an unlimited amount of them during one sale on top of the massive discounts, got me some deals impossible to get on Steam. As a person that loves games, it matters less where I get my games from as long as I have what I like.

To those who don't know, Epic's share is 15% compared to Steam's 30% which means the developer gets more money from sales.

Maybe most of us know about Epic's trial against Apple and Google against their monopoly in the mobile app stores and the same 30% share applied to sales. I hope that something good for both players and developers comes out of this fight and I salute Epic for daring to take on them.

• Like Like x 6
  16. wombleway

I see what you did there! ;)

• Like Like x 2
  17. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Because the Epic release is happening before everyone else gets the upgrade, and it is free, there will be a lot of new people coming to the forum for help. We won’t be able to help them fully because they will be using a version of the game we don’t have yet. It’ll be interesting trying to explain how to use features we haven’t used and our explanations for things may not match what they have in front of them. Interesting times ahead on the forum.

• Like Like x 2
  18. mariussoare_84

mariussoare_84 Well-Known Member

I remember buying RDR 2 Ultimate version for 40 euros a few months after release. They did have some great deals. They seemed to have reduced a bit the speed as they gained a lot of new users for sure but you can still find fantastic deals.

In the same way that a "big player" in its field does, Steam has not offered anything close. In fact, discounts on Steam have not been as big as they could because the pandemic made people buy games anyway so there was no need to attract them with bigger discounts as before which is a bit of a dirty move if you ask me. nVidia does the same, it doesn't care that the cards meant for games don't reach them and instead end up in crypto mining rigs. As long as they have sales, they are happy.
    There are so many examples with big names that have been caught up because they thought they are invincible from their leading position. I think Intel is the latest, though saying this might spark some heat. :)

Who knows, maybe DTG got even a better deal from Epic considering the games uses their own Unreal engine. Again, kudos to them. Epic's support for developers and content creators through this platform is something that the others don't have. Having competition on the game store field is good as it breaks one's monopoly and stimulates competition.

• Like Like x 3
  19. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Insult to injury. First yesterday's announcement, and then having punched us in the face now they spit on us. "Of no interest to existing players???? No, we are VERY interested- and hacked off about it.

• Like Like x 2
  20. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

Great job adding this as a free title to epic games store. I Have a big collection of games because they are given away for free.

• Like Like x 4
  21. wombleway

Exactly. I play on Xbox X, but will be downloading this on my laptop because "why not?!" Even if I never play it, I've lost nothing.

• Like Like x 3
  22. VictorHugoVS

VictorHugoVS Active Member

Me too, they can give the game for free, I get it because it's already paid for. If I like the game, I buy it on Steam. 90% of the games that i have, I don't even remember having.

• Like Like x 2
  23. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Why do people come on here, obviously not having read the article, and vent their spleens? “Why do Epic Games users get it before loyal users? Not Fair.” Throw toys out of pram.

To be clear, Epic Games users include you, me and anyone with access to a PC. Nobody’s getting it before you. You can download it for free from next Thursday with the 4.26 updates and keep it if you want. The three core routes are included, updated to the new engine. When the update is released generally, you will get it on whatever platform you currently use from whichever store you usually use. In the meantime, enjoy it from Epic Games.

• Like Like x 14
  24. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

It is most probably the console users who don't have a PC good enough to run it....or no PC at all who are complaining

• Like Like x 2
  25. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

It's a nice opportunity to get an earlier preview of the Core update. I have one concern. If you play on steam as well, what will happen to your profile and progress? I recommend to make a backup before trying to install the Epic Games stuff.

I definitely will get it, because it is free, it will help me a lot in covering this in the Starters Guide and in the Toolkit, which probably will work for this version as well, though it may need some adaptations.

• Like Like x 1
  26. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

no

27. junior hornet

Maybe but they don’t have to own a PC, just have access to one (not everybody I know). Nobody’s missing out completely though. Is it really a huge problem to have to wait a few more weeks? How about we all chill and enjoy the summer.

• Like Like x 2
  28. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I don’t mind this at all. I’ve got about 20 free games from the Epic game store, I’ve only ever bought 1 and that was only £6 and wasn’t on Steam.

So what if I paid for TSW2 a year ago, I’ve had enough play out of it to make it worth it.

Plus I’ve benefited from a lot of other free games that I haven’t paid for. It’s well worth signing up for the Epic store, you get a lot of really good stuff for free.

Steam for me though is still better for paid for stuff though, in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  29. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

Nope it's a free copy. Epic Games give away one or two games a week which are yours to keep forever. Some are garbage, on the other hand I got GTA5 and NBA21K for free.

• Like Like x 3
  30. HuggernautNL

HuggernautNL Member

I get why people are a bit annoyed about the Rush Hour change, but honestly this doesn't really fit in the same frame.

I only grab the free games on EGS and am happy to see I can add the TSW2 base game to it.

As someone else said: I lose nothing.

And bitching about not getting the upgrade a week earlier is just asinine. Grow up folks. DTG made a very reasonable choice here.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  31. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

I dont *think* the issue is with it going to EGS at all, I think its the fact noone trusts DTG to not start doing timed exclusive DLC on EGS.

good luck getting refunds on EGS when the DLC turns out trashy, their refund requirements almost include you putting them as the beneficiary of your will.

• Like Like x 3
  32. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Agreed, personally it's not something I'm gonna worry about, but I absolutely see DTG being willing to do that, and I don't blame anyone for thinking that.

33. conniethunder

conniethunder Well-Known Member

It's worth getting the platform. If you're familiar with Steam, then the look and feel with appear familiar.

They give away 1 or 2 free games almost every week - most of them worth an install/look at. :)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  34. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It’s not for me as I don’t have a PC. I’m one of those idiots who pays over the odds for Apple products just because there is much less hassle with them. I used to use PC’s at work and the operating systems drove me mad. I get very frustrated when stuff doesn’t just work out of the box. I’m getting a PS5 to upgrade from PS4 for playing TSW. That’ll make me happy. I also don’t play any other games as I’m not interested in anything other than train simulators, so just TSW for me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  35. conniethunder

But they support games for MAC too - for anyone else that's interested. :)

36. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I don't have an issue on putting the game on the Epic store. Or being offered for free. Can't say I like them getting the updated version but I can live with that. I'm not that bothered that DTG said in the stream Epic paid them lots of cash.

My problem is that DTG knew RH was on a deadline for RH + 3 routes, their own deadline, but a deadline never-the-less. Now they are charging their existing fan base £10 more and cutting some of the routes, and the routes are delayed, because they missed their own deadline. Please could someone explain why the existing fan base is being punished?

• Like Like x 1
  37. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

I doubt it would affect it in any way; I assume the Steam version has saves in SteamApps\Common, which the Epic Games version obviously won't save to.

38. conniethunder

Look ahead.
    More money, from a larger user base.
    Hopefully, a larger team (hence current employment ads).
    = better routes / more fixes.

• Like Like x 4
  39. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

epic help dtg is very good

40. Mephrite

Mephrite Active Member

Honestly, it doesn't matter for me on which platform I will play. One condition: there must be possibility to have all bought DLC from Steam. If not - that would be sheer wickedness towards Steam players/buyers.

This shouldn't be difficult to transfer information about which DLC we have, since we log into the DTG account anyway (during TSW2 start). Alternatively you can do like GOG - GOG Connect offers to link profile with Steam and for FREE acquire titles that you already bough there.

Without that, this will be another cash grab from the players.

• Like Like x 2
  41. junior hornet

I don’t think that’s true. If you are already playing via Steam, I see no reason to switch to Epic apart from trying out the new features early, which you will be able to do anyway for free from next Thursday.

Your Steam purchases will still be available to you to play and will update to 4.26 at the appropriate time.

• Like Like x 1
  42. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Nobody is being punished. There’s your explanation.

• Like Like x 5
  43. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

It certainly feels like it. And perhaps people should withold judgement on the Epic store. While it is great that DTG get more funds (at the expense of cutting the RH routes deadline) and DTG saying themselves there will be no exclusives (even though Epic have indeed secured an exclusive) the more popular it becomes the more likely there will be, time will tell. Hopefully it will bear fruit.

• Like Like x 1
  44. Pinguinie

Pinguinie Active Member

what content will be included in tsw2 itself? So far it has only been stated which one can buy with it?
    or the same steam version?

45. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

The base game of TSW2 is the same on EGS and steam....contains 3 routes:

Koln-Aachen
    Sand Patch Grade
    Bakerloo Line

46. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

I've had an Epic Store account pretty much since they started (and have the requisite massive library of largely unplayed free games!) and I don't think i've ever received an email from them that wasn't based on an action i've taken (e.g. confirmation of getting a free game, or in a couple of cases i've bought games on there as they were cheaper than Steam). If you have the Epic Launcher running, you will occasionally get popups on the bottom right the same as Steam does - but you can either close them easily, OR just close the launcher entirely and they will be gone. Either way, I don't find it any more bothersome than any other of the store-launchers I have to have installed to enjoy the games I own - hopefully that puts your mind at rest.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  47. conniethunder

I'll second that.
    It's got the privacy features of Steam, a lot of free stuff, but, it's a little slower to start up.

• Like Like x 1
  48. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

I find its game downloading and updating systems to be far superior, plus, it gets on and updates games when they need updating and not leaving it for 24-48 hours so that it almost always stops me playing the game due to a required update as it does on Steam :) (the pains of being on a daily updating dev build I guess)

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  49. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

I can echo Matt's sentiments...the only time I receive emails from Epic is for purchase confirmations. I believe you can opt in for various emails...but without doing that, it is no more egregious than Steam, Uplay, Origin etc are

EGS also supports 2 factor authentication in case you are worried about account hacking and I believe there are privacy options which can be toggled.

The launcher itself has some ways to go in catching up to Steam imo....but Steam has the luxury of being developed and improved upon for over 15years

All in all though...theres not alot to worry about in installing the client. They give away tons of free games on a regular basis so it is worth the effort

https://en.everybodywiki.com/List_of_free_Epic_Games_Store_games

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  50. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Oh Ok, fair enough. If it behaves pretty much like Steam, then there is no problem. I won't go for this particular offer because I don't see any real advantage in getting another copy of routes I already own and I can wait for the upgrade until RH appears. I pretty much limit my gameplay to TS and TSW, so I'm not sure if I really need this platform, but thanks for the reassurances, anyway.

• Like Like x 1