Train Sim World 2 - Now All Summer Long

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Jul 21, 2021.

1. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

My bad. So much information comes out of announcements/streams etc. While this is undoubtedly a good thing, sometimes I get a bit confused as to what is and what isn’t happening.

• Like Like x 1
  2. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Me personally I'm not bothered, but we payed £25 (or equivalents in other currencies) for the base game and will mostly pay either £25 or £35 (or equivalents) afterwards for Rush Hour.

Whereas new users get the base game for free (but to be fair rush hour will still be payed).

I'm not bothered, after all it's good advertising.

As for yourself; protecting DTG is alright, but over-protecting (namely when they are just flat out in the wrong) is a bad move. Stick to facts. It's a better policy.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Hidden Donkey

Hidden Donkey Active Member

blame microsoft not dtg

you are getting that just be patient

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hidden Donkey

thats all i do

• Like Like x 1
  5. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Yes it’s only for PS5 and Xbox Series consoles.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Optimisation doesn't end with the UE4.26 upgrade...

7. trainsimplayer

Right so ignoring the fact of the matter that we have had a content cut at the same time as a price raise (the price on its own would be alright), the fact they say they "can't do anything" when 95+% of people have voted in favour on polls, yet that's "all you do"?

You might stick to facts, but you seem to cherry-pick them at the same time.

• Like Like x 3
  8. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

Admist all the chaos and the discussions that were had in this week, one cool thing thats gone under the radar is that Matt has finally confirmed that the passengers will wear different clothes depending on the temperature. I.e. Coats and jackets when it's below freezing, a mix of coats and casual clothing when it's moderate, and summer clothes when it's hot out.
    This goes all in hand with the new weather picker/UI which offers more granular control.
    If you want a reference, this was all talked about at the 1 hour and 12 minute mark in the Q&A stream.

If there's anything good that comes out of Rush Hour and the core update, its all these little details and additions that really improve the quality of life for all routes in TSW. The new animations for walking up and down stairs, the dot in the center now fades away, the station names on the pause menu map....all of these additions go a long way and improves the overall experience.

However with all being said, there's still a lot of other glaring issues that do need to be addressed, but I'm sure the rest of the forum has that covered already ;)

• Like Like x 5
  9. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

I'm extremely excited about the different clothes of the passengers ...

• Like Like x 2
  10. kenobi#1878

kenobi#1878 Well-Known Member

Question, when (or where) were the BRD branches ever said to be coming?

11. trainsimplayer

The original FAQ, the Steam Store (before now), Streams etc.

Not to mention the streams were "hyping it up".

• Like Like x 4
  12. kenobi#1878

Oh ok, considering I read the FAQ and watched the streams I really don’t know how I missed that XD

• Like Like x 2
  13. Snek

Snek Well-Known Member

Some feedback on the new UI that I'm not sure where to put:
    Posnetek zaslona (160).png
    Is this going to stay like this even when the UI is finished?
    I'm not a fan of the train facing us completely from the front. The current/old layout, where we are looking at it from the side is much better imo. I hope that will change when they add the background diorama.

• Like Like x 12
  14. kenobi#1878

Bar the train directly facing the screen I really like the new UI

• Like Like x 3
  15. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

No, they said on the stream the background dioramas are still being worked on and overhauled. They are not ready at this point, and therfore couldn't be shown on stream yet. On the live version there should be a diorama like the ones we're used to.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Snek

Snek Well-Known Member

Yeah that is what I was suspecting as well. Glad to hear.

17. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Wow that looks ugly, I've seen placeholder UI that looks better then that, I fail to see how anyone can look at that and think it's a upgrade over the old one.

• Like Like x 7
  18. manticor225

manticor225 Well-Known Member

It's already been stated that it's a WIP and not final.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Anything a few weeks out is usually representative of the final product, at that point you'll usually only see a few very minor tweaks. DTG have shown this to be true multiple times with their preview streams. It's silly to assume that everything's gonna have a drastic makeover in the final release especially when they deem this to be fine for a public release.

• Like Like x 6
  20. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

They say the same in every stream that is close to release and 100% of the times it's the final version.

• Like Like x 8
  21. manticor225

I never said it was going to have a drastic change, but people are complaining about the background and DTG literally said in the stream that the background is what is still being overhauled. It's equally silly to get upset over something before seeing a final product.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

So you were assuming my comment was toward the background? I wasn't talking about that, my comment was toward the menu UI itself, I dislike the boring black squares they're replacing it with, and that's more likely to stay. If you have a problem with people complaining about the background then talk to someone actually has a problem with it.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  23. manticor225

What exactly did I say that came across as "taking it out on someone"? Not sure why you're acting as if I attacked you or anyone else; all I stated was that the screen isn't final. I'm sorry that you don't like the screen. Some people sure are testy these last couple of days.

• Like Like x 2
  24. trainsimplayer

I didn't really think there was anything, but perhaps Mich and yourself should just make sure this doesn't escalate further than it has to.

25. manticor225

That's not even in question as there's nothing to escalate. That's not why I come to the forums.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Sorry about that, me (and my family for that matter) can be rather blunt and matter of fact, I don't find a lot of stuff most people do that provocative. Reading it again can understand where you're coming from, and I've gotten rid of that bit. Honestly reads better without it anyways, so I'll give you my thanks for helping trim some unneeded fat from one of my messages.

• Like Like x 5
  27. manticor225

No worries at all, I didn't take offense to anything and certainly understand where you're coming from. Tone gets lost on the forum sometimes and if I sounded aggressive, that wasn't my intention.

• Like Like x 1
  28. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

They have also said that the optimization still needs more improvement for the layers to work and it is an ongoing process.

I figured this was the case and that some of the new Rush Hour features won't make it to the older generation consoles and that was confirmed a few road map streams back.

They didn't say what the differences would be specifically but there will be some.

I figure the increase in passengers won't come across as the Xbox One can only handle a max of 20 passengers at one time Matt said during a stream.

Also they may have cut back timetables like GWE does since PC has more services on that one if the older console can't handle the amount of traffic especially if they are going increase volumes. I just can't see the older consoles taking on the strain. And now that each platform has it's own copy they are able to give to sets of schedules one for older and one for the newer as they aren't going to be linked anymore.

I think the last plan they said for the layer issues on HMA is to provide alternate timetables for the older consoles. I guess one with 50% of the layer trains and another with the ones they didn't use on the first one?

That is why I got a Series X because I figured the Xbox One was going to miss out on the full Rush Hour experience.

And I know DTG says they currently don't have any plans to stop supporting the older consoles ( it would be a mistake to do so before the newer ones are more readily avaiable). But in February they were still saying they had no plans to come out with a Next Generation console version of the game and well here we are.

It sucks unfortunately.

• Like Like x 2
  29. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

bakedpotatos.jm Regarding the older console support, I think the best way to see it is whilst older consoles will still be supported, they won't get the full experience or features.

In other words, the better and newer your console is, the better experience you'll have with TSW.

• Like Like x 4
  30. bakedpotatos.jm

Well said. Unfortunately they just don't have the power.

There is a reason most sim games don't come out on console and I feel lucky to have a game like TSW I can play.

I honestly thought wow the graphics are great when I first got TSW 2020. Mind you I had not played a train sim since World of Subways and my computer lagged big time with it. I could only run MSFS 2004 it was so old and crappy.

I've never been a PC guy so when it died I just decided not to replace it. And have been on console since the 360 came out.

But a friend of mine had TSW 2 on his PC and I saw the difference in graphics between mine and his and wow.

And I played HMA when the layers were first in it on console and I was down below 10fps, it was unplayable.

I decided then I need to get a Series X because I felt that changes were coming. Then when they said Rush Hour was going to be focused on traffic and passenger volume increases I just knew that the old consoles won't get that, especially when at the same time they said they were making newer console versions along with Rush Hour.

• Like Like x 1
  31. trainsimplayer

Consoles do have power. A lot of it, but is nowhere near PCs, nothing is really.

Your first point here about Passenger numbers is fair. However I think (Current-gen) consoles could certainly handle an increase, not to PC levels, but an increase.
    Next-gen could probably handle PC-levels, but Current-gen wouldn't get that far I wouldn't think

{I'm calling XONE/PS4 Current-gen because that's my preference. Most people are still on this gen so it's current as far as I'm concerned, this also feeds into my next point:}
    Judging by this wording you want Current-gen to be 'abandoned' by TSW? Well, let me tell you that the majority of console users are still in them due to the shortages in the new consoles (itself mainly caused by the Global Microprocessor shortage), and thus they'd cut off the majority of the console playerbase.

I find this quite common in Xbox Series/PS5 users here, they just look down at last-gen users, when really it's just a game of luck to get one.

• Like Like x 2
  32. wombleway

wombleway Well-Known Member

Don't quote me, but I seem to remember Matt saying on a stream that while the current gen consoles couldn't handle as many passengers as they'd like, there were ways to maximise the experience by changing the spawn weighting so Central hubs naturally looked busier than outlying stations.

As for killing off support for current gen in favour of next gen, I think it's far too soon to do that, and it would be economic suicide - as you say, the established userbase is huge compared to the next gen consoles, so while their days are numbered I can't see support ending for them anytime soon (and I'm saying that as an Xbox X user - we're not all snobs, honest!)

33. bakedpotatos.jm

Calm down here I never said I wanted Xbox One to go away, where the heck did you get that idea.

In fact I said it would be a mistake to do so read what I wrote in brackets!!!

And where exactly was I looking down my nose at the older consoles? Please carify for me!

All I did was say facts, that it will happen someday it always does, how long from when the xbox one came out did the 360 become obsolete?

No where was I being insulting to older gen users, please stop misquoteing me and twisting my words.

Did I hit a sore spot because you don't have series S/X if so don't take it out on me.

And I know its hard to get one it took me 3 months of calling every store in Calgary to find one and when I finally did the only store in this city of over 1 million people only got 4 units in. So I rushed right in. I probably spent 4 hours a day calling around. So yes it is luck.

Sorry for the rant but to insult my character because you are misquoteing me and saying things I never said or acted like is very insulting

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  34. bakedpotatos.jm

If you read my quote I never said they should get rid of old console support I said it would be a mistake to do so before the newer consoles were readily available.

I have no idea what this guy thinks he is seeing.

Please read my post and nowhere was I being snobish to old console users at all.

I have no idea how I became a snob unless by just mentioning Series X is insulting to him.

35. trainsimplayer

I never said you were a snob, I said it is a overly-common train in Next-gen users. And the quote outside the brackets is almost in full contrast to the one within.

• Like Like x 1
  36. bakedpotatos.jm

Because they will stop support eventually but if they do it too soon it will be a mistake. Honestly I give it 2-3 years before they think about it. But it could happen any day like it did with the newer console versions. They had been saying for months they had no intention of releaseing a newer console version and then the next week they announce they are.

You can't deny it, EA is not going come out with an NHL 23 on the Xbox one. WWE 2K22 is not coming out on the Xbox one either as they announced last week which again I think it's a bad idea on their end as they are going to lose out on alot of sales.

Its just the way technology moves I don't agree with it at all but I know you know that with more detail to a program more power is needed and it's going to get to a point where its just maxed out on a certain platform.

After seeing the game on PC compared to my Xbox One S it looked like my settings were at minimum levels compared to PC. And even on a stream back last year I asked what the settings on console were and Matt confirmed that consoles settings are at minimum levels and it's struggling with that?

And they have said in streams that the current gen consoles will not get 100% of the rush hour features and that optimization is not ongoing for current gen consoles. So if they are not optimizing them that to me signals the start that support is being dropped. Especially because no optimization means they aren't putting in the effort to better on that platform.

Wouldn't you agree? All the clues seem to be there that they might be thinking that way sooner than later.

But like you said that would be a mistake because of alienating all the players that to no fault of their own can't acquire the hardware.

• Like Like x 1
  37. Birita

Birita Well-Known Member

What you guys are talking about...most likely by mid or end next year tsw 2 are gonne...they Will announce tsw 3 or tsw ultimate i dont know...and Will Tell us that they are moving to unreal 5 or something and Will be completely next gen...those games are 2 years Max by the looks...hahahaha.
    Ps4 Pro player here....and by that time Will be a powerfull new version for the ps5... That i am saving for...

• Like Like x 3
  38. Hidden Donkey

so you lied about me not sticking to facts then as thats what i do and you just said thats what i do

39. JazzyGeofferz

JazzyGeofferz Member

If that hadn't happened I don't think we'd have ever seen those articles.

I don't think we'll be getting steam on XBox One or PS4. They can barely handle diesels and electrics at times, so how is it going to be able to manage everything required to accurately recreate steam?

• Like Like x 1
  40. Birita

Birita Well-Known Member

If this happens next gen users should be ready to play the game at 30 - 45 FPS Max...hahahaha

• Like Like x 2
  41. docrobot

docrobot New Member

You forgot to mention the absolutely incredible multiplayer Run 8 provides. You folks remember "multiplayer" right? That thing that "just couldn't ever happen unless we all bought TSW2" and literally hasn't been mentioned by DTG since because they're just too busy with price hikes and cutting content for DLC they haven't even released yet?

• Like Like x 2
  42. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

It’s really silence here today :(:D

• Like Like x 3
  43. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Don't care, wouldn't use if available.

• Like Like x 4
  44. Sheldon1000

Sheldon1000 Well-Known Member

Same no interest in multiplayer whatsoever.

• Like Like x 6
  45. wombleway

wombleway Well-Known Member

Given the sensitivity of a number of users here, I'm happy with single is player mode too... Nothing would ever get done in MP, too many complaints about not starting the loco correctly, or debating the best coupling speed etc!

• Like Like x 2
  46. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

One thing I want to bring up that got mentioned in the stream the other day is the Rush Hour bundle itself. They made mention that hadn't decided if it was gonna be permanently available or if sales would apply to them. To me it seems rather silly, particularly splitting it up. First off we're obviously not gonna see significant discounts for at least six months or so. And by the time we reach those huge 50+ percent discounts for Rush Hour in one or two years time or so it should have made its money back, and therefor shouldn't be any reason not to discount the bundle. And even if we assume it doesn't make its money back surely the last thing you'd want to do to increase sales is to permanently split up the routes. If they can't sell in a three pack how on earth would they sell on their own?

• Like Like x 1
  47. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Or people purposely blocking stations, main lines, or just being trolls in general.

• Like Like x 4
  48. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

That's hardly a reason to not have multiplayer, there's people that like fooling around, and there's nothing wrong with that. Also they could easily add things like password protected or friend-only rooms for those who want a more controlled experience.

• Like Like x 3
  49. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

All depends how the MP was incorporated, if it could be abused like Blacknred81 said then they shouldn't bother but a co-op would be good. Like a guard mode, it would be awesome speaking to a guard. Sam I think wanted a passenger mode, where he would do a stream and his viewers could be passengers sounds good in theory but then in practice it may not work or is abused.

I doubt they would even look at MP even after steam and that is way off.

• Like Like x 1
  50. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I have yet to experience any multiplayer game that wasn't ruined by trolls, jerks, and gankers.

• Like Like x 1