Train Sim World 2 - Thursday Q&a - Ask Your Questions.

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Jul 21, 2021.

1. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

That is a bit harsh no? RailDriver support was/is a part of many Train Sims and DTG said at release or just after release it would be part of TSW2. Matt was/is a big supporter in this and they even said on stream how easy it was to incorporate RD support now that they 'understood' it better.

Many RD users will tell you that once you play TSW2 on the RD you don't want to play any other way and it is good fun although the cost of the thing isn't cheap but immersive. RD users are only asking for what was promised, running theme with DTG, and we have been waiting for a long time before RH to get the promised support.

2. wombleway

wombleway Well-Known Member

If a holiday is booked the company is generally contractually obligated to honour it.

You complain about them giving too much information too soon (a valid complaint, as mentioned by Sam) but then go on to say that they're not transparent, and that you want to know about every bug fix, loco DLC release, etc... You can't have it both ways. Yes, announcing Rush Hour and the details of the routes when they did was idiotic, I don't think anyone would disagree with that, but you have to then accept that there are only certain things they can say before they stop talking and drip feeding information - pushing for constant updates, releases dates, etc isn't helping either.

I'm sorry if I sound like an apologist - it's certainly not intentional - but I just think everyone (DTG and the userbase) need to take a breath & think about things a bit before putting the boot in or complaining about things. Stay grounded, manage expectations, and enjoy the game - after all, that's why we're all here!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 11
  3. wombleway

Harsh? I don't think so, but each to their own.

Have they said you're not getting Raildriver support on the other routes? No. You're just not getting it yet, as there are more important issues being dealt with than supporting something which is used by a relatively small number of users when taking the entire userbase into consideration.

• Like Like x 1
  4. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

Exactly. I have a RD and whilst I've got used to driving routes without it on both TS1 and TSW2, it would be disappointing if they'd decided not to bother on some routes. As you say, I don't think they've said that some routes will never have it, just not yet.

And steam locos don't really work well with RD if using the F5 menu. Maybe there's a way to make it work but I just use the keyboard. (So I'd got used to the idea on TS1 that not all routes will have it)

• Like Like x 1
  5. dhekelian

They can be transparent and at the same time giving us information by telling us what is happening and not what they think will happen. I also said I wanted them to list the bugs on the forum so the player base can see what problems there are, transparency. The on the streams they can tell us what bugs they are working on, when/if they will be fixed and when released. I do not see a problem with that. I say again 'transparency' to me is informing the player base of what is happening not what might be.

Have they said were not getting RD support? Well, yes they have hinted at it by saying not all routes will have it. Your trying to make it sound like RD support is some rare thing, it has been in all major train sims for a while now and I repeat it was DTG that promised it was coming to all routes long before RH.
    We were promised RD support in GWE and we are still waiting and it was DTG themselves that said it was an easy thing to do but here we are and you keep going on about a small number of users. Tell me how do you feel about the TrackIR development that is being done alongside RH? Are you going to slag those users off as well? I for one am more excited by that than RH.

• Like Like x 2
  6. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about TrackIR, I love it for flying planes and if a flight simulator doesn't support TracklR then that's pretty much a deal breaker for me.
    Maybe once I try it in TSW I'll find it just as useful there. But I'm just comfortable sitting back without it for now.

7. wombleway

I'm not slagging anyone off, and if you think I am then I'd suggest you're taking this far too personally. I'm just pointing out that there are certain areas of development which will affect the entire userbase regardless of platform, and there are other areas that will affect a smaller number of users. It makes perfect sense to develop the areas affecting the whole userbase first... It's a very simple concept which makes economic sense, and if you can't understand that (or choose to ignore it) then that's up to you.

As for Track IR, I really couldn't give a monkeys either way - it's a nice piece of kit (like Raildriver), but as an Xbox user, it makes no difference to me.

• Like Like x 3
  8. dhekelian

You did not answer my question, what do you think about DTG developing TrackIR support at the same time as RH then? What about DTG taking time out to develop TSW2 for the Epic games platform? If you think everyone that works for DTG works on the same thing at the same time you seem pretty naive to me.

And yes from here it does feel like you are slagging off RD users. And RD support has been around a long time whether you like it or not. But the point is, in case you missed it, if DTG have time and resources to work on projects like TrackIR, and Epic then RD support isn't unrealistic is it? Unless of course you are going to tell me the exact same people who work on RD support, TrackIR, Epic, are coders that work on routes ETC for RH?

You talk of economic sense? By ignoring a section of there player base? Yeah, that makes perfect sense. Again I ask, should they ignore TrackIR as well then?

9. wombleway

Sorry, are you trying to start an argument or are you just being over-sensitive? It's difficult to tell.

If you want to believe I'm slagging you off (I'm not), that's your choice - I'm not here to change your mind or your opinion, and I wouldn't try to either. Please, enjoy the rest of your day.

• Like Like x 7
  10. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I think I’d like Track IR if I had it. It’s irrelevant to me as I’m a PS player but it was supposed to come shortly after TSW2 released and it is now coming a year later, which is a good thing because it looks to be very useful for those that have it from what I saw on the stream. I’m a bit jealous I don’t have it now. It was never a high priority though. Raildriver support is plodding along at the rate of other things such as Livery Designer compatibility and Preservation Focus and at a rate that’s understandable considering all the things there are outstanding to work on in TSW land. The game has always involved a great deal of waiting for things to be done and that’s never going to change. Good features are being added and they aren’t always up to scratch when they first arrive so it’s another waiting game for them to be improved. I sometimes think the W in TSW stands for waiting. Everybody’s personal wants are different too. TSWants and TSWaits if you like.

• Like Like x 7
  11. mike d1993

mike d1993 New Member

So Are we getting PIS for Koln?

12. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

From a marketing perspective the community that is active at these forums is not representative for all players that actually buy routes. It is very dangerous to base pricing policies on our opinion. There is a huge difference between statistics evidence and opinions of an active customer base..

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. dhekelian

Do what? YOU were the one saying that DTG shouldn't be wasting there time on RD support and I asked you should DTG have ignored support for the Epic store and TrackIR, which you still evade.

14. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Before you go running away on that high horse of yours...
    A few streams back Matt said that the people who make TrackIR came to DTG and said they'd developed the API and got it working, so all DTG had to do was implement it in game and put that API out, given that is easier to do in the core rather than in all the DLCs it makes sense to do it when the next revision is coming out, ie the main game update
    And what development for Epic? This presumes there's a different core structure rather than it just being in a different folder on a PC. Given it's not out yet and we don't know the details of this I would hold off on accusing people of spending their time in things we may not approve of, mainly because that "time" could have been all of a day or two's dev time and someone to do some uploading

• Like Like x 5
  15. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

ue4 is epic?

16. ARuscoe

Unreal Engine (UE4 is the fourth major revision) is made by Epic, so "UE4 is Epic" in the same way as "TSW2 is DTG"

• Like Like x 1
  17. dhekelian

High horse? Get a life. You make a habit of jumping in on conversations that are not directed at you. And if you had read my conversation properly it wasn't me that was accusing DTG of spending there time elsewhere, I was actually in support of it, TrackIR especially.
    FYI, TrackIR did take some development by DTG and it will be incorporated in RH, just was talking to Matt. And you honestly think there is no development for the Epic store when they will get an updated version before the main update is released on steam? Yeah right.

Try to understand what you are writing before butting in eh?

• Like Like x 1
  18. wombleway

That's not what I said though, is it?

I said there were more important issues affecting more people, so it makes sense to concentrate on that.

As for evading your questions, I'm under absolutely no obligation to you to give a response, and by the way you're conducting yourself, you don't deserve one.

Clearly you're blinded by your animosity to anyone who dares to question your beliefs, and I really don't have time for people like that at the moment, so this genuinely will be the last reply you get from me regarding this.

• Like Like x 5
  19. dhekelian

Question my beliefs wtf? It is a game for goodness sake nothing more, the way you were talking you were in a court of law. Conducting myself? what? Have a look in the mirror, I was asking a very SIMPLE question.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  20. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I do think it's important to realize that while certain peripheral concerns are important to segments of the community - TrackIR, Raildriver, multiplayer, Livery Designer, Scenario Editor - they necessarily have to have a lower priority than improvements which benefit the community as a whole.

• Like Like x 9
  21. Swisstrains

Swisstrains Well-Known Member

they weren’t sure, so they told me to ask on another stream for the roadmap q&a, Sam would know that

• Like Like x 1
  22. ARuscoe

You asked the direct question...
    So you either did ask the question or you did not

Again, TrackIR did the API development. DTG had to implement it in the core game (which nobody else has access to) and the development to UE4.26 has happened anyway, and according to the stream of this week DTG have given the Epic Store an incremental dev build, so the work to put that to production is probably minimal (and as I said before we don't actually know), so I understand perfectly fine thanks

• Like Like x 3
  23. dhekelian

ARuscoe This 'question' was directed at someone else so I haven't a clue why you feel the need to jump in someone else's conversation.

24. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Was it 'directed' as you say to a specific forum user? Where they named specifically? As it's a public forum and a non-specific question ARuscoe or everyone else for that matter, has right to answer.

• Like Like x 5
  25. dhekelian

As the message was directed at someone's quote and the quote was put in the message, yes they were 'named' but nm.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Please cut out the personal nonsense or take it someplace else, then maybe we can get back to the RH /4.26 discussion.

• Like Like x 10
  27. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Before this thread gets a visit from Nat lets keep on topic and lets remain polite to one another. Otherwise this thread will get closed.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  28. dhekelian

Did they say in the Q&A there will be an update this Tuesday or Am I imagining it?

29. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I know they said Roadmap Update, probably that.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  30. Michael Newbury

I didn't hear anything about a physical update to the game, likely the next roadmap will be updated.

31. dhekelian

My bad, I meant a Roadmap update.

32. Michael Newbury

That's okay it can seem like that's what was heard.

33. ARuscoe

Roadmap this Tuesday from what Nat said last week... I'm sure they'll answer questions at the same time

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  34. jayzhead

jayzhead Active Member

That is a very narrowminded way to look at it. The fact that YOU don't need it means it's not "important". When DTG promises support for a piece of hardware that costs over 200$, and people invest in said hardware, and then a YEAR goes by and still half of their collection is unsupported, that is at minimum a very lackluster treatment of your customer base. And I think it is safe to say that the people who care enough about their hobby to get specialized hardware are customers they should care about. And then the next major update rolls around and they only manage to add a couple more routes to the supported list. That is not acceptable. Especially because everyone knows what it takes to add that support: not much. One guy on the steam forums managed to hack in support for tsw2020 with a special memory-resident tool before TSW2 came out and had more trains supported in a week that dovetail managed in six months after official support was introduced with TSW2.

You may play on xbox and couldn't care less about hardware support, but you don't get to decide what's important to other people. So please don't tell me that is off topic when it's really just off topic for you. For me, having less layers on consoles is off topic, as I couldn't care less what functionality is missing from your xbox. But people keep asking for it, and we raildriver users don't go around disparaging those requests in a condescending way. I have the right to complain about things that are important to me, and certainly have a right to feel disappointed when functionality that was promised over a year ago is still not present in the game.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  35. wombleway

It's the complete opposite of being narrow minded (there's a bigger picture which you can't see apparently), and I never said it wasn't important, or off-topic, so don't go putting words in my mouth that I never said.

Thanks for your input.

• Like Like x 5
  36. Samuel

Samuel Member

Hello. Is there a topic where I can read all answers not watching a full stream?

• Like Like x 1
  37. Lord Snabel

Lord Snabel New Member

If there are many passengers on the platform/station at moment you can't nearly walk. It's like your bumping into passengers all the time and sometimes you can get stuck. Will this be a bigger problem if you increase the number of passengers?

• Like Like x 3
  38. solicitr

A quick question: will the Boston-Providence PIS boards be reworked visually to match the real ones? Please tell me that the LIRR boards in the screenshots are just placeholders!

A second quick question: is it too late to replace the incorrect New Haven-style catenary with the proper one?

• Like Like x 4
  39. solicitr

Another question, having to do with the distant Livery Designer 2.0-

Legally, will/would it be possible to include decals of the logos of railways with whom DTG have licensing agreements (DB, CSX, Amtrak, Union Pacific, Southern etc.)? Making up a logo from scratch for each individual loco and car takes a lot of time and a lot of layers.

And if that isn't possible because the lawyers say no, would it be possible to allow users to make and save their own decals?

• Like Like x 4
  40. Bertil Persson

Bertil Persson Active Member

I would like to tell you how glad I am for the immersion HUD coming. I’m visually impaired and it looks like you have seen my comment and other’s. Just take a bow! You’ve done great! Cabbepe on YouTube, that’s me.

• Like Like x 1
  41. jayzhead

jayzhead Active Member

I very much doubt they will be changing the PIS boards now. Matt said that the build that was shown was a release candidate. The boards will remain the LIRR ones as they are, most likely forever, so we'd have to live with it. And you know what, given the dilapidated and limited two or single line red-dot matrix of the actual MBTA info scrolls on most CR stations, I don't even mind that much. The real displays suck.

As for the second question, also according to Matt, the real centenary is being worked on by the route's developer. It will not be in on first release but is planned to be corrected in a future update.

I only got around to watching the stream yesterday, and to tell the truth it got me all giddy. The amount of passengers and AI trains finally makes TSW seem alive, I was very impressed. I can't wait to get my hands on this. And the first RH route being in Boston, in which I spent large chunks of my adolescence, is more icing on what seems to be a lovely cake. One thing however did feel weird to me, much more than the mismatched PIS boards, is how clean the MBTA trains are on the route. Never in my life have I ever seen an MBTA commuter train actually clean (or subway train for that matter, unless they're brand new). They are all grimy and nasty, always :cool: But I get that the T would probably not be very happy with actual realism in that department ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1