Having The Game Free On Epic Is A Opportunity Not A Threat

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by paul.pavlinovich, Jul 24, 2021.

1. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

I was amazed at the angry reaction to the news that TSW2 will be free for a week on the Epic store. Lots of large game developers have jumped into the free for a week offer from Epic while they are trying to establish their store in a world dominated by Valve & Steam. Why wouldn't DTG want potentially thousands of new users that free for a week might bring that will go on to buy DLC. This is more income for DTG which means more money for the work they do. This is a serious opportunity and I can certainly understand why they took up the opportunity.

It is also an opportunity for us too the community of existing Steam based players, we can get the new 4.26 core update with a small selection of updated routes for nothing to install alongside our main version and answer all the burning questions - this is kind of like being given access to the beta builds before the main release.

I personally will be getting in there to see
    • what has changed?
    • is performance better?
    • are the new pause screen features (map with names and gradients) working well?
    • what fixes are there
    • is 4.26 causing any of the issues people are expecting in other threads
    • will it work with DX12?
    • is performance any better?
    • will the new shadow feature make things look better?
    I'm quite looking forward to next week. Do I plan to switch from Steam to Epic for TSW2? Nope. I kind of like Steam and the way things work not just as a delivery mechanism but the community and workshops are great too.

Paul

• Like Like x 38
  2. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Agreed....I see no issue at all with TSW2 being released on EGS, it makes perfect business sense to expand their player base when given the opportunity. As for getting it for free....also no issues at all after all this is essentially DLC which has been out close to 12mths now, most things drop in price after this long anyway. Once the preserved collection is released on EGS they will be able to purchase those and activate the service layers on SKA, which means more income for DTG (Assuming they are aware of this)

More income benefits us all and ensures TSW2 has a healthy future.

Im expecting an influx of new users with their newbie questions to these forums come next week though :)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 10
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  3. paul.pavlinovich

Yep, me too, that's ok though I was a noob not so long ago :). Plenty of people helped me just like we'll help the new ones.

Paul

• Like Like x 3
  4. Odd1ne

Odd1ne Active Member

Wondering how it will work with dlc. I suppose you will have to use one store or the other. I bet you will not be able to share purchased dlc from steam to epic? Most of the time the game is on sale for £10 anyway so doesn't bother me that much really

• Like Like x 2
  5. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

Im 100% ok with it going to EGS, its a unreal game afterall and its good for them, BUT I do have serious concerns on how DTG will handle it in future. I really expect DTG to start something akin to "Route X releases 27th August for EGS, 27th September for all over platforms"

• Like Like x 7
  6. BladesAndRazors

BladesAndRazors Member

I don't see a problem with such an approach.
    Epic players are beta testers then.

• Like Like x 4
  7. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

This (as confirmed on stream) is a one-off.

It's simply easier for them to release the updated version, rather than the old version, just to upgrade it later.

These things won't (so they think) be happening again.

• Like Like x 2
  8. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Personally I have no problem waiting for the Steam TSW update- especially since the Epic version wouldn't be usable with any of my DLC anyway.
    I would be less annoyed by this development if Epic wasn't getting this earlier than those of us who actually paid for it.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I have no qualms over this move. Opening up new markets can only help TSW in the long run. I don’t even care if the Epic Store gets exclusivity for a while. If it helps DTG make more money and if this can help DTG deliver more, it’s a win.

• Like Like x 6
  10. wombleway

wombleway Well-Known Member

Yep, the two aren't interchangeable. Any DLC from one can't be used on another, so if you're a Steam player already it makes sense to stick with that for your actual game playing, but use this as a preview release of what's coming in the update.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

No they’re not. Everyone is getting the update next Thursday. It’s free. You just need to download it again from Epic. Share and Enjoy.

12. solicitr

Since when? I haven't seen any release date announced.

• Like Like x 2
  13. junior hornet

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/free-games

Scroll to the right. It’s free to download from July 29th to August 5th and you get to keep it if you want. However, as you are already using Steam, you would be better sticking to that long term as DLCs are not compatible between stores.

Also mentioned in Thursday’s stream and several times on these forums.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

They will work separately as they are two different platforms. You will not be able share with the other, what you on Steam will only work on Steam. And what you have on Epic will only work on Epic.

• Like Like x 1
  15. R3dS41ft

R3dS41ft Active Member

What about mods? Will there need to be two versions?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

There shouldn't be a need for two different versions of mods, they should work the same as they do with the Steam version as they will with the Epic one.

• Like Like x 2
  17. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

no

18. solicitr

So it's not true that "everyone" is getting the update, only Epic users.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I've no problem with this Epic release. It's a business decision and if it expands the player base, all well and good. I myself will just ignore it. I've already got a couple of versions of the PC routes, why would I want a third? The upgrades that are included are interesting, but not earth shattering, especially for PC players. And I can certainly wait a few weeks to see passengers walking downstairs. To go to the trouble of opening another store account is simply not worth it. I'll stick with Steam, they've never given me any problems.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
  20. junior hornet

Solicitr - But Epic is open to everyone. We can all get the update to try the new features, at least on the default routes, by downloading the Epic version (whether we already have it on Steam or not). Rejoice. :)

Crosstie - Good point well made. I’ll probably download it as I don’t have it on PC (I can live with the ads), only Xbox but I agree the updates we have seen in the stream aren’t exactly Earth shattering. It’ll be interesting to see them in action though.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  21. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Take a look at the storage space required for TSW, you might be fortunate to be able to have two TSW installs but many will not be. Also the 4.26 updates affect all the preserved collection and existing TSW2 routes, but the preserved collection is not on Epic next week, so I don't agree that it releases for everyone next Thursday, many pc players will have to wait for their Steam versions to update at a later date as will all of the console players (66% of the playerbase)

• Like Like x 2
  22. paul.pavlinovich

Matt said on another thread here that there is no real reason you could not copy the DLC files from one to the other because the game is the same - I expect this will only apply once both Steam and Epic are on 4.26. Any copied DLC would not be visible in that store and who knows what would happen with achievements.

They said on stream that apart from this odd case in future all platforms will continue to release at the same time like they do today.

Storage is pretty cheap unless you're running on a laptop where you also need to deal with the transfer since you can likely only have one drive in the machine. Even then that's not that hard to do and most places (note actual computer shops) that sell SSD will also be able to clone your existing SSD onto the new larger one if you don't have that capability yourself. There are certainly constraints on consoles but they generally allow connection of an external drive to move your content to even if they won't let you play it from there you don't have to download it again. My son juggles stuff this way on his PS5 a lot. I prefer computer because I can always put in more storage.

Paul

• Like Like x 2
  23. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

I would like to believe them but I dont.

• Like Like x 1
  24. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

As I said elsewhere, if you have family sharing on Steam, you can allow the kids to play on Steam whilst playing TSW on Epic.

25. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

Question from a person who last PC gamed before Epic/steam was a thing, can you get the game free on one store & buy ad ons from another??

• Like Like x 1
  26. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

Short answer is no.

• Like Like x 2
  27. paul.pavlinovich

Matt said yes to this on stream, you can just copy the files from to another. They will both need to be on 4.26 though which means you can't do it until Summer update is released on Steam.

• Like Like x 1
  28. longo239

Steam won't install a route DLC unless you have the base game installed. So personally I can't see how you can get TSW2 free from epic and then buy routes from steam.

• Like Like x 2
  29. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

I was pretty certain they stayed very early on that dlc was not cross platform compatible.

what I did think I heard Matt say was at your own risk you may be able to copy your profile across.

• Like Like x 3
  30. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I believe what Matt meant was that you can't buy from one and expect it to sync and work properly on the other. If you buy the game from BOTH and DLCs from steam then only steam will update automatically and ensure that versions etc are the same.
    Save games won't transfer between the two automatically either, but Matt has confirmed that they're carbon copies of each other (or at least will be once full RH is released later in "the summer" (so Steam catches up with where Epic is)

• Like Like x 2
  31. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

• Will the Epic Games Store version be compatible with other versions?
      No, if you already play Train Sim World 2 on other platforms (eg. Steam), your Add-Ons will not be compatible with the Epic Games Store version. Likewise, any purchases on Epic Games Store will not work on other platforms.
    From the FAQ at - Train Sim World 2: Rush Hour (dovetailgames.com)

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  32. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

Ok thanks chaps :)

• Like Like x 1
  33. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Just to be clear - my previous comment was strictly about copying livery and profile save data - DLC cannot be ported between Epic and Steam by just copying.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
  34. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Expanding their user base can only be good and enable more income to come through. With all our woes about quality and route cost it may enable DTG to get more people and deliver the full quality of content they want

• Like Like x 1
  35. paul.pavlinovich

Thanks Matt and thanks for putting it in the FAQ :).

Thanks for the corrections also GuitarMan and ARuscoe

• Like Like x 1
  36. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

It may be possible, but you would have to move the files to a different folder, such as \Paks\. But it wouldn't be recommended anyway since one would have to manually copy the files over whenever they are updated.

Cheers

37. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

There is bound to be some measure to prevent this. The client surely does some checks to see if the product is legit and bought in your account.

Otherwise, piracy would be a huge concern.

38. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

All I will say is that I refunded LGV after being dissatisfied with it, and Steam removed the file, but I found I still had a copy of it in my PC backup. When I stuck it in the DLC folder, it did not show up in the game (presumably because it is not registered to my Steam account anymore). But when I moved it to the Paks folder, suddenly it appeared and became playable. Why? I am not sure. The game's method of DRM is a black box to me.

N.B.: I still don't play the LGV route because everything after the Marseille area is rubbish.

Cheers

• Like Like x 3
  39. murruzz#2467

murruzz#2467 New Member

I cannot create a profile. Taken from the epic game. What is the cause and solution?

• Like Like x 2
  40. paul.pavlinovich

Can you explain a little more of what you're trying to do with the steps you are following and what you want to have happen?

41. lobo_cac

lobo_cac New Member

Hello, I have the same problem, I follow the steps that the game asks me, I log in, I create a profile, I choose the appearance, and when I have to put the name I always get an error, I cannot create a profile, thank you very much, greetings

42. paul.pavlinovich

Can you share a screen shot lobo_cac ?

43. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

And that's not mentioning the (I presume) need for another enormous chunk of hard-drive real estate.

44. paul.pavlinovich

14GB - half the size of the current 4.23 version so look forward to some real estate recovery when the new one comes out.

45. KatanaDV20

KatanaDV20 New Member

I am one of those n00bs who got this title free on Epic. I never would have ever considered a train sim. I've always been a fan of the big North American trains, the massive locos (I lived near busy freight tracks in Denver, CO, USA) Thats why I grabbed it on Epic. It is a lot of fun, this was a good move on Dovetails part to let it go free. There are no doubt many thousands like me who were exposed to train simming who would not have considered it otherwise. So yea, thanks Dovetail and Epic!

• Like Like x 13
  46. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Great to hear and thanks for letting us know!

• Like Like x 3
  47. paul.pavlinovich

Welcome to the forum and the fun of TSW2. If you've got any questions this is a pretty friendly community so ask away, you'll always find someone interested in helping.

Paul

• Like Like x 2
  48. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

Yup it was a great opportunity for me to get it for free. Play it for 10 minutes, uninstall and never play it again.

• Like Like x 1
  49. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

You’re missing out now then. But your choice.

• Like Like x 7
  50. longo239

Did exactly the same, only positive was that I didn't have to waste any time requesting a refund.

• Like Like x 1