Wcml South Extensions: Northampton Loop And West London Line

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by dcr raptor, Jul 30, 2021.

1. dcr raptor

dcr raptor Member

The Northampton Loop

The Northampton Loop is a 24 mile long branch of the WCML that connects the rest of the line to Northampton. Currently, this branch hosts two stations and a freight terminal. A third station is due to be added to the line by 2026.
    This line is served by Class 319 and Class 350 EMUs operated by West Midlands Trains, with Class 390 Pendolinos operated by Avanti West Coast calling at Northampton at the exctremes of the day.
    The Northampton Loop Line is host to the Daventry International Rail Freight Terminal (DIRFT).
    The DIRFT was originally constructed in 1999, and was expanded to it's current size between 2005 and 2011. In 2008, the site was sold to Malcolm Group, with Malcolm Rail becoming the operator of DIRFT. Railway companies that utilise this terminal include DB Schenker, Freightliner, DRS, and Malcolm Rail. Rolling stock includes the Class 08 (Malcolm Rail and Wabtec), Class 66 (DB, Freightliner, and DRS), Class 86 (Freightliner), Class 88 (DRS), Class 90 (DB and Freightliner), Class 92 (DB), and the Class 325 (DB / Royal Mail).

Route Map
    upload_2021-7-31_16-22-59.png
    Northampton Loop (Proposal): Purple
    WCML South: Blue

The West London Line

The West London Line is a 6 mile long railway line that connects Clapham Junction to Willesden Junction.
    The line features 6 stations, which are served by London Overground Services that run from Clapham Junction to either Willesden Junction or Stratford, and by Southern services which run from Clapham Junction to Milton Keynes Central. Freight services from depots situated along the North London Line and WCML also use the West London Line to access the railway lines that run south of London, such as the Southeastern Mainline.

Route Map
    upload_2021-7-30_19-24-34.png
    West London Line (Proposal): Orange
    North London Line: Red
    WCML South: Blue

I̶ ̶a̶m̶ ̶a̶w̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶W̶e̶s̶t̶ ̶L̶o̶n̶d̶o̶n̶ ̶L̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶e̶x̶t̶e̶n̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶N̶o̶r̶t̶h̶ ̶L̶o̶n̶d̶o̶n̶ ̶L̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶S̶t̶e̶a̶m̶ ̶W̶o̶r̶k̶s̶h̶o̶p̶,̶ ̶h̶o̶w̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶c̶u̶r̶r̶e̶n̶t̶l̶y̶ ̶a̶ ̶W̶e̶s̶t̶ ̶L̶o̶n̶d̶o̶n̶ ̶L̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶e̶x̶t̶e̶n̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶W̶C̶M̶L̶ ̶S̶o̶u̶t̶h̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶a̶s̶s̶e̶t̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶m̶a̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶N̶o̶r̶t̶h̶ ̶L̶o̶n̶d̶o̶n̶ ̶L̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶i̶d̶e̶n̶t̶i̶c̶a̶l̶,̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶t̶h̶ ̶m̶a̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶i̶c̶i̶a̶l̶ ̶W̶L̶L̶ ̶e̶x̶t̶e̶n̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶b̶o̶t̶h̶ ̶r̶o̶u̶t̶e̶s̶.̶

While the West London Line is already included with the North London and Goblin Lines route, the addition of the West London Line to the WCML South will allow players to play scenarios between Clapham Junction and Milton Keynes Central with the Southern Class 377.

Note: This post was originally about adding the West London Line to the WCML South and North London Lines. As it happens that the West London Line was already included in the North London & Goblin Lines route, I've expanded the topic to be all expansion suggestions for the WCML South.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  2. steve.cunningham1980

steve.cunningham1980 Member

The WLL is included with the North London and GOBLIN lines isn't it?

• Like Like x 1
  3. dcr raptor

dcr raptor Member

Thanks for pointing that out. I thought that the North London and GOBLIN Lines only added to Goblin Line to the original route.
    I'll try and rectify the original post to just include the WCML South Proposal.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 1