How Come The Gates Don’t Go Back Up They Always Stay Down Even After A Train Passes

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by ggy, Aug 1, 2021.

1. ggy

ggy Member

How come the gates don’t go back up they always stay down even after a train passes And there were no cars waiting at all, this was a mistake or intentional.

Attached Files:

2. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Which route? In some routes level crossings do lift and lower according to train passage, but on most they're permanently down, this is because the feature was only recently added. The system used in the first release of Sand Patch Grade 4 years ago was found to be really inefficient and have a big impact on the game's performance, particularly on consoles.

• Like Like x 3
  3. porawit

porawit Member

Sand Patch Grade

4. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Then it's intentional.

5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I would imagine it's because the game starts the level crossing animation tied to a signal just before the crossing itself, but there's no built in system to determine when the rear of the train has passed the crossing (which I assume there is in real life)
    So unless DTG built the "all clear" system which reanimated the crossing the best option when dealing with really long trains is to "leave them down". And given there aren't that many people who would wait around to watch the crossing (minorly ignoring what the front of the train is doing) the cost of making the system as above wouldn't give all that much reward

6. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Actually, they do- but it is tied to the train completely clearing the block- and given the mile-plus length of the blocks on Sand Patch, and the long trains, that's a VERY long wait.

7. ScottN

ScottN Active Member

Can’t the crossing activation be independent from the signal blocks and use a different system? Like to detect when a train is a certain distance from the crossing and have a way to detect when a train is on the crossing and when it clears the crossing the crossings deactivate. But not have them activate so early that it takes minutes before a train comes. That’s the problem I have with TS2021 is they activate super early. Or if you activate them when a train is close to a crossing they go up halfway through the train and have them close when the rear is close to the crossing. TSW2 should have built in track circuits for crossings.

8. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

This would be how I would approach it

• Like Like x 1
  9. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

I believe that most older routes only have static crossing barriers.
    It's only since SEHS was introduced that crossing gates have started to become animated.
    The tech for animated crossing gates is slowly getting passed on to older routes through Adam's team (preserved collection) so some routes may have this implemented when the summer 4.26 update is released. As SPG hasn't been looked at by the preserved collection team, the barriers will stay static until changes are made (I believe West Somerset and Peninsula corridor are the next focus).

10. Nozomi329

Nozomi329 Member