Epic Release 4.26 Version Feedback

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by paul.pavlinovich, Jul 29, 2021.

1. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Good idea, Callum B. - from there it's not far to a powerhell-batchfile.

Since I don't know who the developer of the TSW Mod Manager 2.x is - if you are reading this - an "update all active mods"-button might lead to many donations for a beer ;-)

• Like Like x 3
  2. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

I would be in for a whole six-pack!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

The trouble is - who's responsible if the updated mod is broken by being on a different version of UE? Matt has said upgrading has caused various problems that have needed to be fixed (including quite extreme cases where lamp posts turned into cars) with DLCs, so is it reasonable to assume every mod can be upgraded without any issues?

4. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

If it's anything like the migration from TSW1 to TSW2, the mod authors themselves would have to rebuild their files under UE 4.26 before they could be used again. It's certainly not DTG's problem, because mods are explicitly unsupported.

5. kenobi#1878

kenobi#1878 Well-Known Member

When the update drops on console I’d hope that there are noticeable increases in the FPS. As 100fps when not moving compared to >60FPS (on a high end PC, I’d presume) would equate to about 40-50fps in the same situation, on a PS4 For example

• Like Like x 1
  6. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Porting mods to 4.26 video

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

I've done a few tests with porting mods to 4.26.

Texture changes work well with the method in Yuri's video.

Sound mods don't work by that method. The sounds don't play, so I exported a Pak and put the sounds in the 4.26 Unreal Editor, then cooked and repacked them. Many sounds are now extremely crackly in the game, yet play perfectly in ogg format in the fmodel player.

Turning compression off in the packing process doesn't help.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. murruzz#2467

murruzz#2467 New Member

Profil oluşturamıyorum. Epic oyundan alınmıştır. Nedeni ve çözümü nedir?

9. murruzz#2467

murruzz#2467 New Member

I cannot create a profile. Taken from the epic game. What is the cause and solution?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Clumsy Pacer

Is it just me or does it reset some settings seemingly at random?
    I've had it reset the effects quality setting twice, once during a loading screen, and just launched it now to find auto-load journey has turned itself back on.

• Like Like x 1
  11. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

Installed the Epic version last night to see how it is in comparison. On my system fps seem to have improved but obviously this could be because the Epic version is vanilla.

One thing I'm sure i saw somewhere was that the pointer dot had been changed so it auto disappeared after a short time instead of you having to turn it on and off as required but I cannot get this to happen and I still have to turn it off when not required. Am I missing a setting somewhere?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. Clumsy Pacer

Yes, it's in the 'game' tab, near the bottom after all the HUD settings. It defaults to off.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Does it give Isle of Wight some cab sway finally, or it still has none, considering 2 times 0 is still equal to 0?

• Like Like x 1
  14. WaveyDavey

What option is it though? The only one I can see which I think you might mean is "Crosshair Visibility" which has the option of off, 50%, 100% and Large. This turns the pointer on but it still doesn't auto remove the pointer dot after so long which is what I'm looking for as like I said I'm sure I saw something saying that was now possible.

15. WaveyDavey

Nope not fixed as far as I'm concerned.......

TSW2_David_1628113791_01.jpg

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

If the negative points are UI and scenario tutorial/ compatibility related then I’ll take that.

17. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I don’t know, I won’t have it until it releases on the consoles. IOW should be very shaky but you wouldn’t spill your drink in the TSW version. I hope the slider doesn’t affect the forwards and backwards when braking and accelerating (as I wouldn’t want that exaggerating) and it only affects the wobbliness, otherwise I’ll be keeping it at default. Lots to experiment with when it comes.

• Like Like x 1
  18. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Had a bit more of a play with this today. Love the shadows looking better and the track draw distance improving. Role on update day.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Clumsy Pacer

Apologies - it's under Control.
    upload_2021-8-5_10-34-18.png

• Like Like x 2
  20. WaveyDavey

Nice one.

I’ll get that changed later.

21. Clumsy Pacer

Right, so after having knocked it into shape (and by that I mean don't have about 50 other programs open while playing), I have to say I'm quite impressed.

Only played on slight cloud but done a few Bakerloo runs and not once has it dipped below 30fps, and seemed to hover around 40-50 on the overground section and 60 in the tunnels (I have my Steam edition locked to 30 because otherwise it constantly fluctuates between 29 and 34, causing all sorts of stuttering) outside of loading the next area (which was fairly seamless I found, despite it being on this laptop's hard drive - my Steam install is terrible for it and I often have to mute the sound because of it).

The UI is mainly nice, I have a few issues - the 'options' in the pause screen hides the exit to main menu is one of them, also I'd recommend adding a "return to game" button on there, the button prompt at the bottom isn't very prominent (it doesn't need to be) but I've found myself hitting 'restart' while trying to get out of the pause screen. Glad to see the quit to desktop button seems to have made a comeback too. Also the next stop indicator on the HUD keeps moving around with the distance - not really a problem for me in terms of reading it but I imagine it might be for others, and it looks a bit strange.

The stop marker at Willesden Northbound is too short - it needs to be further down (2 cars are hanging off the end of the platform if you stop there), also is it just I got lucky or is the "unload all passengers at terminal station" thing working now? I noticed none on my train when I went into Stonebridge depot (not that there was many on the train anyway), nor were there any in the AI train parked at Queen's Park.
    TSW2_Cam_1628191152_00.png

PS: On my Steam install for some reason I have to wait 2-3 minutes for the debreif screen to appear after having completed a service, here it popped up nearly instantly like it should, so that's a big up for me. I hope these positive changes make their way over to Steam in the update (I mean there's no reason why they shouldn't that I can think of), since that's where all my DLC is.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  22. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  23. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

I know what is typical because I spend time in locomotives :). Exaggerating it in game is useful because you notice it. On a real train the locomotive bounces around all over the place especially on the narrow gauge railway I am a volunteer on - our track standards suit our 25km/h maximum speed limits and load limits. These movements can be large, but you move too in cab so you don't notice it as the heavy movement it really is, you perceive it as minor movement. To give you the same feeling in game you need a much larger than realistic movement. I wonder if there is a market for bouncy seats? I know you can get a thumper that bolts to the bottom of the seat but have never tried one.

Both gradient and place name maps do indicate where you are, the gradient approximates where you are on the left side of the screen showing where you're going. The place name map has an indicator which shows roughly where you are.

Before driving
    spg-gradient-before-moving.PNG spg-map-before-moving.PNG

After driving for a while...
    spg-gradient-herading-through-salisbury.png spg-map-heading-through-salisbury.PNG
    Paul

• Like Like x 1
  24. Clumsy Pacer

Has anyone who's (whose?) downloaded the update on Steam noticed the performance improvements observed on Epic? Mine's downloading now, just want to know what to expect :)

25. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I’ve only had time to play 2 scenarios so far on the Steam Version,GWE and East Coastway. Both looked significantly smoother than before. So looks like similar performance to the Epic version.

26. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

For me, average framerate is the same, but tile-load stuttering is significantly improved, and I no longer experience any stutter when objectives are completed. I am on an SSD.

Cheers

27. chieflongshin

So here's my first take of good points and feedback.

I've run the Amtrak train to Providence. I'll try to keep succinct as possible.

Good points

• Steady 50fps across route (i9-10900, 2080ti, 32gb Ram). All settings on Ultra, TAA and 150% screen.
    • Sounds are much much better to me. Really good work (Subjective to my understanding of how a train sounds).
    • I love that they all show approximate timetable completions times finally. Much better.
    • The screens in the train are far more interactive with more happening, love this, some area (brake and traction) are static still. Can these show live data?
    • Trees are a lot better without all the pop in.
    • Nice to see stations on map (still needs moving towards a Ts21 map) , much better.
    • Trains are more full with people.
    • Subtle pip movement animation on front of train I'd not spotted before.
    I will try some other trains later.

Development points with pics where possible.

• Reused sign assets are obvious, why no proper place names?
    • Car assets are duplicated a lot in some places.
    • Gradient map - i like this but could we zoom out to see a complete route profile or have I missed this?
    • Floating sign. (see pic) - It's near signal 2126
    • Stationary Diggers!!!! - Please lord someone animate some of these building sites.
    • Sandpatch train - cant show in here but when I went past it , it was shimmering, almost as if it was loading in (see next post for location)

Overall I like the update thus far, some big steps, sure there will be more development creep out but nice work team!

Screenshot (84).png Screenshot (85).png Screenshot (86).png Screenshot (88).png Screenshot (89).png

28. chieflongshin

29. chieflongshin

DTG Natster I've already purchased on steam as you can see above. If the launch discount is not there, think I paid £34.99, how do I now obtain this please?

30. CrAzZyKiLLa

CrAzZyKiLLa Well-Known Member

Apply for a steam Refund and purchase it with the discount later

31. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

+ Well done on the 143 sound fixes, the NTP class 47 now has working brakes, and it's track run sound is back.

- Shame ECW doesn't have the new skybox or level crossings, hope these aren't too long coming, also the patch notes mentioned adding the missing AWS ramps around Strood on SEHS - but they're still missing for me.

- Also I mentioned in another thread that the diorama sucks. If we're using that screen to change weather and TOD it's no use being in a gloomy unlit old shed - it would be quite helpful infact to be able to see outside - eg, see the sky, trees, and ground.

32. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

I absolutely hate this new menu UI - its cluttered trash.

• Like Like x 2
  33. chieflongshin

Found another bit - Are these catenary incomplete, there's no cables attached, two like this as you go into Boston.

Screenshot (91).png

34. Clumsy Pacer

So I've done a run on Munich-Augsburg, and FPS slowly creeped up to about 40-45. FPS was all over teh place in the tunnels on Bakerloo until I SPADed through lack of concentration. Sadly, the mega pause before the debreif screen for me is still present, when it wasn't in the Epic version - that's a deep shame.

UPDATE: Getting about 40-50fps on SEHS in the 465 at night (well, early morning) in the rain, although i now have my laptop plugged in which seems to allow it to use its GPU and CPU as much as it wants, as the game is performing much better, but that long pause is sill there.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  35. Clumsy Pacer

Also, nice to see that while the destinations for the MSB locos (well the 146 at least, not driven the Dosto yet) are dynamic and change to the route and are pre-set, you can change them yourself. :D

Nice one TrainSim-Adam

Hopefully this can come to new add-ons in the future.

• Like Like x 5
  36. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

Try a different camera angle, I've found on other routes they vanish sometimes. I think the antialiasing eats them.