A Different Shader System

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Abellio, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Abellio

Abellio New Member

Personally, a big gripe for me at this moment for Train Sim World is that it doesn't feel right; more towards cartoonish than realism. I propose that a different shader is implemented to instil a more realistic and life-like feel to the game.

An Example:
    Here is a Class 66, hurtling along the Great Western Mainline in the dead of night. But, oddly enough, it's bright enough to be seen as day. I'm no expert but night time is not light at all, yes maybe in the summer months but in the dead of winter? Nah. In my opinion it really retracts from the overall feel and pushes me away from the game.
    20170916180444_1.jpg

But, then again, there are places where it is dark much like night time. Again, however, it feels 'off' to me. Maybe it's the clouds, maybe it's the reflections. I can't quite pin-point it, but it may just be a mixture.
    20170916192037_1.jpg

The unrealistic nature of the shader isn't something I'm fond of, and with all due respects to the developer's, a game intended as a realistic simulator possesses aspects which push it away from that goal, and to me that's too much of a gripe that I cannot let it stand. Looking at pictures of TSW: Rapid Transit, all the colours seem blown out and far too bright, or the shadows them selves far too weak; again re-enforcing this cartoonish aesthetic.
    Untitled.png
    (Not my photo)

Now, I'm happy for a discussion on why I'm wrong and anyone willing to input their own views, but please don't get all violent about how I'm completely incorrect-they're my own opinions. Play nice please.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Itll be a few days but ill have a look too. Interesting as i havent really noticed, but then i dont do much night running..

• Like Like x 1
  3. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Install and use ReShade. Here is the website: https://reshade.me/

4. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

What we need is something like the Armstrong Powerhouse lighting enhancement pack that we have in Train Simulator.

I know both games use completely different engines but that pack greatly improved both day and night scenes as well as more realistic colours, lighting and shadows.

5. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Well, I had a look at this and the solution for me turned out to be simple.

Increase the cloud cover to overcast and night time is very dark indeed, to the point that i can make out vague detail and signals only. No cloud gives effectively a moon illumination level, cloud cover dark as the ace of spades.

Its a simple fix really.

For the other stuff have a look at the various engine.ini file fixes that are discussed in various forums and posts. Reshade killed to many frames for me compared to the engine.ini fixes.

6. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I use ReShade and have no FPS changes.

7. keksman

keksman Well-Known Member

Try adding r.EyeAdaptationQuality=0 to your Engine.ini file

• Like Like x 2
  8. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

I tried reshade and i did.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sunscreen