Nec: Freight Speculation - Part 2 (discussion)

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Challenger3985, Aug 5, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

It's been a few months and I wanted to make a refresh from Part 1. So this will be part 2 of my previous thread for; if Freight's gonna happen or not on this route. And the answer is yes, but not fully operable.

To make a short summary of what this speculation would include for the Providence Line (or NEC2/NEC Boston, take your pick), if possible:
    • +Freight on the line is operated by CSX
    • +Has a yard at Readville (along with MBTA's Maintenance and Layover/Storage there)
    • -4 local services from the yard (with at least 1 or 2 operates on this line)
    • +As an added bonus would use the stocks from Sandpatch Grade as a layer, mostly Boxes, Covered Hoppers, Tankers (the common types)
    • +And lastly a GP38-2 as the only loco to run on it, for now (as the GP40-2, which actually operates the line, is not in TSW2 at this point in time, and the line only operates 4-axle units).
    As for the answer, the good news is; that there will be freight layered in from CSX's Sandpatch Grade (with both coal & covered hoppers, tankers, boxes, and a GP38). But the bad news is; the stocks will be used as static displays around sidings and yards (you can play with them in yards, but not operate them on the main). And the only reason for the bad news is that; there's no cab signaling (ATC/ACSES) for the GP38 or GP40 (disappointed but makes sense, unfortunately).

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Challenger3985

Well, looks like the article did mention CSX at Readville Yard (that's a start):
    Does that mean it's layered in? Guess we'll have to find that out in the preview stream then.

• Like Like x 2
  3. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

If that were to be the case everyone has Sand Patch Grade as standard for layers. Since this line is connected to the port of Boston you can probably get Cane Creek to give Boston-Providence a transcontinental Freight Service

4. pacificorca#1435

pacificorca#1435 Active Member

I don't believe the port of Boston has a rail connection at all, the container and bulk terminals aren't heavily trafficked to make it worth it. I believe any westbound containers would get trucked to the Worcester intermodal facility.

5. Challenger3985

Pacific has a point. There haven't been any mentions from CSX having any kind of intermodals on the Providence Line. And again, I've only seen GP40s operation on the line, have not seen anything bigger other than with 4-axles. So it's still gonna be local freight for this line, no matter if you want something extra out of it.

6. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

It was confirmed on the stream, that there is layering from SPG for static scenery, but no services due to no in cab signaling for the CSX locomotives.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

That's lame. Maybe at some point they'll be able to resurrect the GP40-2, which did have the in-cab signalling IIRC. I mean, I get it, this is primarily a passenger route, but the CSX services in NEC:NY added a lot of gameplay IMO, so was hoping for something similar.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I think it's great that they added them for static scenery, even if they couldn't do proper services. I also really like the use of non-driveable AI only services to give more traffic to the route. I've been wishing for that for ages.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Challenger3985

Technically, it's the GP38 in Yn3 (from NEC: NY) that has the in-cab signalling (since the GP40 was made for Sandpatch, before NEC1).

But honestly, I'm just unsatisfied with this. I mean sure having freight as scenery is not a bad idea (makes the sidings and yards less empty if not included), but what's the point if they're not gonna be interactable along the line without a proper freight service. Besides just playing in the yard for fun on foot.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, I knew it was one of the two lol.

Yeah, I'm with you. Maybe if enough people mention it, they'll relent- the Class 66's on SEHS were originally going to be scenic only, but they ended up adding a few services for them.

11. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

I don't think the GP38 from NEC NY has cab signalling either since it was never used on the NEC, only on the branches etc that don't even have signals.

Without adding cab signals i'm sure it simply wouldn't be safe to drive, surely, you'd be at risk of hitting something in front without having enough notice. Or am I missing something?

12. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

The stream looked great to me and I look forward to driving the route. I am particularly enthused about how busy it’s going to be with 810 (?) services.

The signaling system looks relatively fail safe and very amenable to driving without a HUD.

With that in mind, I think I am not alone in saying this: Taking a freight train out on the line without in cab signaling is a risk many of us would like to take!

13. MLP Derick

MLP Derick Well-Known Member

I would imagine freight trains that do work on the NEC must have in cab signaling even if there just doing switching at some of the industries along the line and then going right back to there own lines once there done

14. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

So, decided to check on the TS1 stock, to see if any of those had in cab signaling. The Genset and the Hudson Line SD40-2 are equipped with them. The GP40-2 from the GP40-2 pack is not.
    Screenshot_New York to New Haven_40.81645--73.89342_16-53-56.jpg Screenshot_New York to New Haven_40.90084--73.79423_09-00-15.jpg Screenshot_Hudson Line - New York Penn & Grand Central - Croton-Harmon.jpg

15. Challenger3985

Granted, the GP40 Dovetail made (TS1 &/or TSW) is based on a more common design than the ones used alongside or near NEC (if there's a difference, to be frank. Aside from the yellow stripes on the plow edges). Though I wonder if anyone has real cab pictures of any Geeps (a GP38 or GP40) with cab signals installed?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  16. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Although there are no freight services on the main line, the locos are still drivable within the yards if one feels like some freelance shunting (manual switches there)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

The TS2021 New York to Newhaven route has some CSX engines that are equipped with ACSES and ATC. Except for the graphics details, this is one of the best TS routes, with a lot of additional DLC. I hope we can have something similar in TSW2 some day.

18. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Indeed it does, I scripted all that for TS1 :)

Would be good to get it on the freight trains at some point but it hasn't been a task up to now so hence our trains haven't had it. Hopefully at some point but nothing planned right now.

• Like Like x 3
  19. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

It was the freight services that brought me back to this route. I thought they were quite enjoyable.

I agree. It won't make the route appear so dead, like with the empty lines on Bakerloo

• Like Like x 3