Missing Building Textures.

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by John Murphy, Jun 30, 2018.

1. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

Does anybody know any kind of fix for this? I've already tried clearing my cache and verifying my game files, but nothing worked. This has been happening on multiple routes, including Stevens Pass, Pacific Surfliner, and Feather River Canyon. I noticed it on Pacific Surfliner a while back, but just recently it started happening more often. I'd like to know if there's any possible fix for this, or if I'm gonna have to live with it and watch the problem get worse and worse until it's every building in the game.

2. hightower

hightower Guest

It looks like you’re missing some required assets.

Had you uninstalled any DLC before this started?

3. John Murphy

Nope. It seriously just started happening out of nowhere. The Pacific Surfliner one happens at random too. Sometimes the textures are there, sometimes they're not. Also, I found out that the Stevens Pass one only happens with the winter setting, so it must be a snow texture or something.

4. hightower

hightower Guest

Assuming you’ve no edited scenarios etc. (obviously you’ll need to back them up if you have) it sounds like the best thing to do would be a complete reinstall of TS - instructions here if you’re not sure how...

https://dovetailgames.kayako.com/Kn...re-install-train-simulator-or-train-sim-world

It goes without saying that once you’ve uninstalled TS using the above method (and BEFORE you reinstall via Steam), you must go into the Steam/steamapps/common folder and ensure the RailWorks folder is completely deleted, otherwise the issue may carry over.

Good luck!

If that doesn’t work I’d raise a support ticket with DTG, they’re a bit slow at responding but they will eventually.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2018
  5. John Murphy

Well after hours of reinstalling all my content, I tried it out again and it didn't work. The building is still displaying the "missing texture" crap. I actually did start a support ticket right after I posted this thread, but I still haven't gotten a response. I'll bring up the fact that I reinstalled.

I get all kinds of crap with these games, even though I have a PC that should be able to run it just fine.

6. hightower

hightower Guest

That is completely bizarre. The RailWorks folder was definitely completely deleted and no trace of the game left on your computer? I know it probably seems a dumb question but as I don’t tend to play the US routes, just to check the DLC you’re talking about is payware (ie bought from Steam) and not freeware, and the scenarios came with the routes rather than being downloaded from the workshop or a 3rd party website right?

The only other obvious thing I can think is that your hard drive might need defragging? I probably know just about enough to make me clueless ;) but I can’t see any logical reason why you should suddenly start missing textures like that on routes/scenarios that worked previously, unless there is/was a hardware issue causing them not to load.

Also, FWIW the last couple of support tickets I had with DTG took a number of weeks for a response rather than a couple of days as they’re ‘short staffed’. The good news is when they did finally respond they were very helpful.

ps One other thing (total stab in the dark) but I’m assuming you’re based in the US? I did read somewhere that non-US based players playing some US content were suddenly finding things missing due to issues with rights that surfaced after they had made and played the purchase. It seems unlikely but it’s such an odd problem anything is possible!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2018
  7. John Murphy

Nah, I only buy stuff for TS on Steam and I don't have any Workshop scenarios. It might be something with hardware, but I hope not because it's still pretty much a new computer, not even a year old (and I really don't have the money to fix it). I always tend to get the strange and bizarre problems that either have no solution or require some kind of really heavy and expensive fix. As far as DTG is concerned, almost every time I've filed a support ticket with them, their advice is along the lines of "your computer is garbage and you need to buy a better computer" not worded like that of course. Even though I give them a DxDiag every time proving that my computer is more than capable of running this game at max settings without breaking a sweat. I kinda doubt DTG will be any help in this case, but I still made a support ticket anyway, if anything just to rub it in their face that their game is a broken piece of garbage.

8. hightower

hightower Guest

I’m sorry I couldn’t help, hopefully you can get it sorted without too much more hassle.

Cheers.

9. John Murphy

Well DTG finally replied and it turns out they didn't read a single word of my ticket. I thoroughly explained in the ticket how I already tried clearing my cache and verifying my game files, but that's all they said to do in their response. I have the feeling that they're either completely and utterly ignorant or their support ticket department is automated.

10. darujhistan

darujhistan Member

Hi John, I had a couple of problems with some of my Just Trains add-ons recently, missing textures like roads and signs etc, I know Just Trains installation process is different to DLC's but they both similar. I resolved my problems by uninstalling the routes affected, did a disk frag and reinstalled them, everything works fine now, they must of not installed correctly, it happens sometimes.

Other people have had the same problems has you, and all they've done is messed about with the settings, which I would try first.

If my suggestions fail, then I would recommend you go on to UKTrainsim for help, which have some very knowledgeable and helpful folks over there, if they can not help you then I guess no one can.

This is not a dig at you John, but I've not really known anybody else on here to have so many problems with TS like you, so maybe there is a problem with your hardware like you mentioned earlier. Without looking at your PC, I'm not able to tell.

I hope you get things sorted out soon.

11. John Murphy

Well if it is my hardware, I hope DTG would be so kind and generous enough as to buy me an even newer, more powerful, and more expensive gaming PC (I could barely afford this one). That might explain why the Stevens Pass building messes up, but it doesn't explain why the ones on Pacific Surfliner and Feather River Canyon happen at complete random.

12. hightower

hightower Guest

Out of interest, what are the specs of your machine, and what are your graphics settings?

13. John Murphy

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070, Intel Core i7 7700 @ 3.60 GHz, 16 GB of RAM, and running Windows 10 Home 64 bit.

I have my graphics settings maxed out and it usually runs fine that way. I can even run TSW at max settings with no problem. I tried turning down the graphics settings a bit, but it obviously didn't do any good.

14. hightower

hightower Guest

So it’s obviously not a spec thing. I can’t see why DTG would suggest your computer wasn’t upto the job either.

Did you try defragging the HD? I’d be tempted to uninstall it again, defrag the disk & then reinstall it. I assume also your firewall/anti-virus settings couldn’t be interfereing with it?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2018
  15. John Murphy

I could try that again, but I don't think it would do any good. And I also turn off my firewall and antivirus when installing anything just because of that. I've seen in past experiences that DTG has some kind of complex with this stuff. It's like they can do no wrong and it's always a problem on your end, no matter what it is. It's like you have to jump through hoops to prove the problem's not on your end and you didn't do anything to cause it. Then when they finally give up, they just say "we'll look into it" and just drop the ticket.

16. hightower

hightower Guest

All fair points. I just wondered if the firewall/virus stuff is causing an issue after installation. It seems like such an isolated case it would suggest (but in no way guarantee) an issue at your end.

I’ve this happen once with the sky when I’d swopped out one weather for another using the editor. I don’t think the correct assets were enabled which was easy to fix. Given you’ve not edited anything though, it just seems really odd. Is it happening to the same buildings in all scenarios & quick drive, or is it just one or two scenarios?

17. Kyle_Lennard1

Kyle_Lennard1 Active Member

I seem to have that problem with a Office Building on the WCML over Shap