Graphic Cards To Buy Currently To Play Tsw2

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix, Aug 5, 2021.

?
  1. Nvidia Geforce GTX Series

37.1%
  2. Nvidia Geforce RTX Series

62.9%
  1. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

So i am thinking about upgrading my Nvidia Graphic card which i currently have Geforce gtx 760 which is so outdated. I am thinking about buying the newer graphic card but the only problem is the stock price for these newer model are way higher because of the demand right now. What graphic card should i go for right now that are in stock and are close to the rtx series that are price the normal price instead of the raised price. I really want to play TSW 2 in really good quality.

Any suggestion would help, also can everyone list the graphic card and the operating system that they are using currently to play TSW 2,

Thank you everyone;)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  2. pinter

pinter Member

I'd also like to upgrade my gpu, but I refuse to pay double (or more) for a new one.

I have a GTX 1070 on Windows 10. Works fine for me running max settings at 2560x1440 in TSW2. Frame rate is generally around 60ish fps, depending on the route, where you are at the time and what you're looking at. Having a variable refresh rate monitor does help smooth things as well.

3. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

I have an RTX3090

4. mariussoare_84

mariussoare_84 Well-Known Member

I used to play on a GTX 1060 with everything maxed out on ultra-wide 2560x1080 resolution without any issues. Pinter above confirms this with his GTX 1070.
    After upgrading to an RTX 3070 the performance increase is there obviously and I migrated to 3560x1440 144Hz, but TSW is not one of those games with a high GPU demand as the game itself targets people passionate about trains with modest PCs in order to make the game accessible to the masses. We know that it is controller friendly and it has a great deal of support for consoles.

The prices for last-generation graphics cards have already entered a trend towards normalization but they can still be a bit steep depending on the model and where you live. Second-hand cards are not cheap either. If you find a good deal go for it otherwise, wait a little more and consider buying one towards the end of the year.

Lastly, the upgrade to EU 4.26 should bring better optimization and in some cases, players reported slightly higher frame rates so you might be safe for a little while with your current card.

5. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

I think you can wait until NVIDIA releases SUPER series graphics cards next year
    If you want to start from the suggestion now, buy 3060TI

• Like Like x 1
  6. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix the answer to that question depends on rather a lot of things. What monitor are you using? How do you connect to that monitor? What is its native resolution? Does it support v-sync, g-sync, etc? What is your CPU? How much RAM have you got? Is the game on SSD? What size power supply do you have? How fast is the PCIx slot in your machine?

I ran on 1070TI for quite a while at 2K resolution I was getting around 30fps on ultra settings, when I started to fiddle with engine.ini to get better draw and shadow distances for better realism frame rates suffered - I upgraded to a 3070 where I now sit on 60 minimum usually more around 80-100fps most of the time in most routes with 2K and screen percentage at 150%.

I agree with mariussoare_84 about the GPU being less important, but in a different context - it depends how good the rest of your system is to whether TSW2 will take advantage of your GPU properly or not. Up until recently I ran an i5 10600 and while the GPU on the 3070 was busy it wasn't flat out, now that I'm running a much better motherboard and i9 10850 the GPU is always flat out.

The 4.26 version which was available free on EPG last week (now is paid) had better frame rates and considerably smoother action. This will run on lower spec machines. As a good demo of this, Matt was running the game this morning on his laptop with decent frame rates at 100% screen percentage. This version will be available to Steam players no later than 19th of August. The first Rush Hour route is coming on the 19th and it needs the 4.26 update in place to work. Traditionally the pre-update has come out on the Tuesday so expect 17th of August possibly.

If you're content to run with standard settings then a 1070TI will likely do ok, but lets finish this conversation when you've answered the questions at the top of this reply.

Go and visit https://www.userbenchmark.com/ which will let you set up various rigs to compare, often with actual recorded game play so you can see for yourself what its like. Here is a comparison of the GTX760 vs the GTX 1070TI for example https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-760-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1070-Ti/2159vs3943

There are also the AMD Radeon chipsets to consider, they only hold about 5% of the market according to steam hardware survey https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

If you stick with nividia expect to update drivers, if you switch from nvidia to radeon expect to rebuild windows (which isn't that painful with windows 10).

Paul

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

So My computer spec is
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHZ 3.40GHZ
    64Bit Operating system with a Intel B85 Asus Motherboard

my desktop computer is buy dell with a 1080x760p screen

Which Graphic card should i go for? Which graphic card with give me the highest ultra setting playing it without any lag, even where there are more AI train?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  8. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

RTX 2060

9. paul.pavlinovich

How do you connect to the monitor - it would likely be display port, hdmi, vga or dvi but there are others - take a look at this wiki picture
    [​IMG]

Can you give the model number of the monitor so I can check out what it is capable of please?

Do you think you would upgrade to a monitor running more than 1080p?

Paul

10. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

So it basically used to be an Alienware X51 R2 before but than i was tired of AW and switch my whole chasis as well but the part remain the same.

11. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

It used any DVI-D or DVI-I in the back of my pc system with the blue cable, it have 4 or 6 pin connector. I have to buy an vga adapter to connect the back of my pc system

As shown here https://na.alienwarearena.com/ucf/s...-about-the-back-ports-on-the-alienware-x51-r2

However i used the 4 pin connector

12. fanta1682002

i7 6900k x99-DELUXE II DDR4 32GB GTX1080TI SLI MON ASUS 25 165HZ v-sync

13. paul.pavlinovich

What connectors has the monitor got - they often have more than one? You're buying a new card so what is on the PC isn't very relevant because you will be replacing that.

Paul

14. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

how do i find the model number for the monitor. I have attach photo of my space for my computer, and the monitor

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  15. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

16. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

Which monitor should i go for, is there any good recommendation? Any suggestion would help, thanks you everyone. Also i can't get a 32in on my computer desk because it won't fit, which monitor size should i go for since i have a small space for my computer?

17. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

If you can afford it, I would go for a 27'' 1440p (2K) G-Sync monitor. For brands, the ones with better reputation are ASUS and Acer.

• Like Like x 1
  18. pinter

pinter Member

• Like Like x 1
  19. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

Is there any that are on sale right now or wait until Black Friday? Also do you think a 27" would fit in my room, from what you are seeing in the photo

20. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

RTX 3080

21. fanta1682002

22. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

Any suggestion on what monitor i should go for at this time, and which screen size based on the photo that i have attach?

23. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

I don't know if there are any sales or not. Guess you will need to check the stores that are available to you.
    I think the stand of the monitor will fit the table from what I can see in the picture, but you will need to check if the screen fits the room. I think most (if not all) monitors have their specs (including sizes) online. Example for the Asus PG279Q.

Remember, there are many models from Asus and Acer, not just the one I linked.

24. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

I am thinking about getting a 4k monitor so that i am future proof but i don't know which one to get, my budget is less than $400? Do i need to buy monitor that have G-Sync Nvidia Feature still even though i am getting the NVIDIA RTX 3000 series graphic card?

25. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

26. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

27. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

My recommendation for you:

1. Find out what is the maximum size monitor that can fit in your room (you will need a meter).
    2. Based on 1, choose a resolution that makes sense for a monitor of that size.
    3. Choose a graphics card that can render at 60+ fps at the chosen resolution with Ultra quality settings.
    Hopefully everything will fall within your budget. If it does not, you will need to find a balanced combination of monitor resolution and graphics card that makes sense. Example: It is a bad idea to buy a 4K monitor if you can only afford a graphics card good for 2K, and the other way around. An RTX 3090 is overkill for a 1080p monitor because you would be more than fine with a 3060Ti. So make sure you buy a balanced system.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
  28. fanta1682002

29. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

30. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

Have you use this monitor before? Is it good?

31. fanta1682002

YES NOT GOOD

32. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

I might end up with this one
    Acer Nitro VG280K

33. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

G-Sync I'd say yes, certainly noticed a big difference in game play compared to a standard monitor.

• Like Like x 1
  34. paul.pavlinovich

That isn't true anymore, well kind of... for monitors that have the G-Sync hardware they are still expensive, its essentially another GPU in the monitor, but for the ones where G-Sync is done in software they are much cheaper and nearly equally performant. My monitor runs G-Sync in software.

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix it will all come down to how much money you want to spend - I don't want to make you feel bad but that hardware you've got wouldn't even fit my personal definition of "tolerable". For monitors I run a pair of Dell S2721DGF and I see on Dell Australia they're currently on special - maybe they are where you are too https://www.dell.com/en-au/shop/del...dgf/apd/210-axbc/monitors-monitor-accessories (this is the link to AU Dell).

Whatever you get there are some things I would recommend thinking about
    • Use Display Port to connect to the monitor DP 1.4 is preferred, but 1.3 is still ok - very few modern cards support vga and when they do they're rubbish, DVI-D is still around but Display Port is a LOT faster
    • For future protection get a monitor with Software G-Sync (for a Nvidia card) or Free-Sync (for an AMD card) - and make sure your chosen card will support this - this isn't essential but it allows for higher variable frame rates - otherwise you need to cap your frame rate to whatever the monitor supports
    • Get a really high Contrast ratio like 1000:1
    • Get the fastest Response time you can afford 1ms is perfect, but anything up to about 5ms will work ok for train games
    • The best Resolution you can afford, but don't go getting a 2K monitor and a low end card you will be sad, if you want 2K then you need a high end card too - it's ok to buy the good monitor now and underdrive it at 1080p but aim to get a better card later
    • Get the biggest that you can afford that will also fit in your space
    When you choose your card, the other things to think about are:
    • Does your case have a strong enough power supply with the right kind of connectors to drive the card - almost anything will handle a GTX 1070TI but only higher end 800W+ units will handle RTX 20XX and 30XX cards
    • Does your motherboard have a fast enough PCI bus to communicate with the card at full speed - I had a look at the B85 chip set and it supports PCI Express 3.0 x16 - this means there is no point in you buying a 30XX card as they need PCI Express 4.0 x16 to get the best out of them. The best card bang for buck that uses PCI Express 3.0 is a RTX 2080 Super - they're performant but still quite pricey. To save money but still get something decent you might think about a GTX 1660TI or a 1660 Super.
    There is no point buying beyond what your hardware can do unless you plan to replace that too. B85 is 7 generations ago in terms of hardware - Intel 11th generation is current, 12th generation is just around the corner and you're running 4th generation.

Do you need to go out and buy the latest of everything to play games? Definitely not, it all comes down to what you want, what you can afford and what else you might use it for. I for example do photography and video production so having a powerful computer is justified for that and happens to be really good for games. For you that justification is likely quite different. One last question before I make a more concrete suggestion - how many watts is your power supply (hopefully it says it on the back, but if it doesn't you should see it printed on the side or top if you open your case. Does it have GPU cables - these will have either four, six, eight or twelve pin Molex connectors. Look at this article, it has pictures of them and will help you spot which ones you've got https://www.gpumag.com/gpu-power-connectors-explained/

Paul

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. fanta1682002

I7 6900K ME BUY RTX3080TI SLI OK?

36. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Okay, a slightly different question: what is the most cost-effective single upgrade I can make to my current, rather old rig?

HP Omen 870-224
    Core i5-7400 3.0 GHz
    Odense2-K motherboard (H170 chipset)
    16 GB RAM (maxed out for this MB)
    WDC WD10 HDD, not SSD
    Nvidia GTX1060 (3 GB vRAM)

Dell 2717H/HX 1080 (not G-sync)

Note: not especially interested in going to 4k; I want to increase video performance not slow it further.

37. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

Here is a picture of my computer desk space, which computer screen monitor do you think will fit? Would i 27" work?

Attached Files:

38. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

You do not need to know what we think will fit. You need to know what fits. Get a meter and measure it.

• Like Like x 2
  39. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

I just check 27" is too big to fit, but i believe a 24-25" computer would fit on my desk.
    I have start looking at these monitor, and i might go with this one
    Acer Predator XB253Q

40. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

Any good recommendation for best top 24'' gaming monitor?

41. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Your motherboard is holding your back a bit. The best CPU you can get for that platform is the i7-7700K but that would be a total waste on locked H170 chipset. Even an i7-7700 (non-K) would be more of a slight upgrade and certainly not worth the $210-$250 eBay price.

Your GTX 1060 is suitable for 1080p, though an upgrade to a GTX 1070 would allow you to max just about everything at 1080p and still maintain 60FPS. However in the current GPU market, the GTX 1070 can go for upwards of $450 which is just insane.

I would honestly recommend that you upgrade your boot storage to an SSD for a cheap but effective upgrade. Something like a 1TB Intel 660p can be had for between $100-$120. It won't improve your average FPS, but it should help with stuttering and lows; most notably it should make your system feel overall much more snappy and responsive. You could always convert your current HDD to a secondary drive for warm storage alongside your SSD boot drive.

Cheers

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  42. paul.pavlinovich

What is the rest of your machine? Motherboard chipset?

43. paul.pavlinovich

That monitor looks reasonable. Drive it with DisplayPort rather than HDMI to you'll need to get a cable when you get your new card. Your old card will not be able to drive this monitor.

Paul

44. fanta1682002

ASUS X99-DELUXE II DDR4 2400 32GB POWER SUPPLIER 1200W MON ASUS TUF Gaming VG259QR GTX 1080TI SLI my pc very old ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero +
    i9-11900K +RTX 3080TI SLI ok?

45. paul.pavlinovich

I agree with Callum B. an SSD - even an inexpensive one will make your computer feel much more snappy and will definitely help with tile loading. I have a laptop with specs not dissimilar to this and putting in a really old SSD I had lying around changed it from around a 3 minute boot up time to less than 20 seconds. Most computer shops can clone your HDD to the SSD.

I also agree with the card recommendation, a 1070, 1070TI or 1070 Super would certainly let you max out everything at 1080p but I would sit on my hands since you already have a 1060 and wait out the ridiculous price situation. For the OP its probably worth upgrading his rig even with the high prices to get decent play, you should get pretty decent play with 1080p as it is.

Paul

46. paul.pavlinovich

Hehe, that is better than my processor - I'm running a i9-10850K on a MSI Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi board.

A couple of things to watch in your upgrade
    Have you ever put a CPU in a board? Mounted a cooling assembly? Most i9 processors don't come with one and you need to buy one separately. You need one that is a compromise between getting rid of the heat and fitting in your case. You can spend crazy money on a cooler and generally the expensive ones are not much better (if at all) than the cheaper ones - I use https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-air-coolers/hyper-h411r/ which is affordable and works really well. Remember to buy the coolant paste too.

I note to PC builder people (you too PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix ) - if you have never put a CPU in a board and mounted a cooler, I really wouldn't recommend learning on this kind of $$ value hardware. Get the computer store to put it together for you - they normally only charge about $20 for this service. It is so easy to get it wrong if I didn't have experience I just would not do it myself!! I've put together something approaching 100 boards over the years so I know what I'm doing and have the anti static gear (grounded mat and grounded wrist straps).

47. fanta1682002

OK https://rog.asus.com/hk/motherboards/rog-maximus/rog-maximus-xiii-hero-model/

48. paul.pavlinovich

49. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Arguably it's worse... the i9-11900K is only 8c/16t and runs very hot! For LGA1200, I would stick to 10th gen for i7 or i9 but the 11th gen i5-11600K is quite good actually.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  50. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

If you’re thinking of upgrading make sure your power supply is up to it and you have room in your case.
    An rtx 3070 for example is 12” long and really needs a 85w psu, though you’d get away with 80 if it’s a good make.
    Top end cards with multiple fans drink power.

• Like Like x 1