Boston Sprinter - Famous, Fast And Exhilarating!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Aug 5, 2021.

1. NYIslanders0902

NYIslanders0902 Active Member

Yes, it looks nice

2. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Yes, there is something wrong with those cars. And some of the station textures. Well, there's still 2 weeks before release and there are those caveats "still under development" and "artwork may still be awaiting approval".

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

It’s infuriating.

Hopefully these are in development pictures only, and tonight’s stream will look so much better, but I somehow doubt it.

Many may not agree with me, but where is the realism? It looks like a video game - it doesn’t look realistic at all. As it stands now, Peninsular Corridor, a TSW 2020 route looks far far better.

Where has the ‘extra’ time been spent? I fear we are being taken for fools. Unless the stream looks better, I doubt I’ll be buying this. That’s possibly 2 of the 3 routes from Rush Hour off the table for me. So disappointed it’s unbelievable.

Will BML be third time lucky?

• Like Like x 7
  4. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

Weren’t these cars built in the late 80s/early 90s? They should look dirty and worn down.

I can’t tell if it’s bad lighting, bad texturing, or a lack of detail on the 3D model. Some of the other screenshots, they look okay in the background, so it could be any of the three, potentially…

• Like Like x 2
  5. porawit

porawit Member

ดังนั้น new sound

6. Matzo

Matzo Active Member

Some of the screenshots featured in the article have me worried. Some of them look like TS Classic in my opinion... I'm reserving any real opinion untill the dust from the stream tonight has settled. It could well be possible the screens were taken from an earlier build than what we see tonight.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Trainiac

Trainiac Well-Known Member

It looks like they've only just started building the model!

• Like Like x 4
  8. heyitspopcorn

That’s definitely what people optimistically say before every preview stream, and then after the first preview stream, and then again after the preview stream right before launch—and with very few notable exceptions, the preview photos are usually WYSIWYG…

• Like Like x 3
  9. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

I think the game in general suffering from a lack of ageing/ weathering. I think only the 20/31/40/45 show any evidence of their age. The 31 was truly a grimey loco, every time I take a run in it I feel the need to take a shower. Ideally a weathered/Paintshop fresh option when selecting a loco would nice.

• Like Like x 4
  10. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Which stinks, because I can't sensibly buy anything until and unless I know that both NEC and BML are any good (I couldn't care less about the castrated Riesa-Dresden).

• Like Like x 5
  11. solicitr

Yes, those building textures really do look disturbingly MSTS-grade. And I doubt seriously that screens released today represent weeks-old WIP shots.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Sam50i

Sam50i New Member

How does the season ticket work on PlayStation ? Is it going to be just like downloading a route from the PSN store ?

13. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Those coach textures are disappointing, when will we see PBR in TSW2?

• Like Like x 3
  14. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

We've seen basically no changes made to routes 2 weeks before release. So it is probably safe to assume this is what we're getting.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

My experience of these streams is that the presenters only answer questions from the stream chat. However, in the unlikely event that questions from this thread will actually be addressed, my question is: - What improvements will be made for next-gen console builds, and will these also include updates to the audio (as the current Xbox build suffers from terrible audio compression artefacts). Thanks in advance.

• Like Like x 2
  16. solicitr

And Peninsula Corridor is one of the ugliest, fakest-looking routes of that generation. But at least the trains are decently weathered.

• Like Like x 5
  17. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

We all know that when it says "still under development", that means it's pretty much done as past experience has shown

• Like Like x 6
  18. heyitspopcorn

Yes, it does! If you… squint and ignore that the building right by the right of way looks like it was ported from a PlayStation 2 game.

• Like Like x 7
  19. tallboy7648

If it's in that state you describe, I won't be getting the season ticket either and probably will get Brighton Main Line

• Like Like x 2
  20. tallboy7648

You could always wait until all three routes are out and get the season ticket once you have an idea on how all of them will be instead of going into the unknown. Heck I might just do that myself

21. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

What’s going on with the distinct lack of weathering? It literally looks like someone went on Microsoft Paint and used the bucket tool when selecting the grey colour.

B2161DF0-1499-4E24-AF99-3F8EEECCE040.jpg

• Like Like x 16
  22. NYIslanders0902

Lol it’s fine

23. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

It really isn’t.

This isn’t even PS3 quality, never mind PS4/PS5. This is not the best DTG can do. Far from it.

• Like Like x 13
  24. tallboy7648

The inconsistency still continues it seems

• Like Like x 2
  25. solicitr

I'll wait for the stream, but right now all I can do is wonder "What the hell happened to the people who made Clinchfield?"

• Like Like x 5
  26. NYIslanders0902

Yeah true

• Like Like x 1
  27. Task

Task Well-Known Member

Might be a little too late but can you show (or rather tell) us all the different service patterns (type of services) that are on the route?

28. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

There needs to be some sort of weathering done here. The MBTA cars look like a brand new piece of Plastic HO Rolling Stock....
    4754143495_b6a883065e_b.jpg 5306344743_50ea700c75_b.jpg 5207932362_ceeddae05f_b.jpg 4154067996_67fd96c137_b.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  29. Trainiac

Trainiac Well-Known Member

If this is a sign of what's to come with the next two routes then it's really not looking good, especially for London commuter which is probably one of the most hyped routes we wanted after SEHS.

• Like Like x 3
  30. solicitr

Compare the building and train textures from NTP, from three years ago
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  31. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  32. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

So much better. If you just glimpse the screenshot, you could think it was a real photograph. You simply don’t get that in the screenshots for Boston Providence.

• Like Like x 6
  33. heyitspopcorn

Cathcart (lighting issues aside) is an example of a route done well. If the trade off for longer routes (and it’s still not even that long!) is lower-detail routes with trackside buildings and scenery that look this bad, then I’m afraid TSW2 is never going to live up to being the “evolution” in train simulators that DTG—and all of us—want it to be.

• Like Like x 10
  34. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Hmm... looking at the weathering, let's hope "Rush Hour" does not mean "Rushed Content"!

• Like Like x 8
  35. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

You might have just discovered DTG's reference material :D

• Like Like x 4
  36. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

A question I would like to ask Matt is:

Do you think the graphical quality of this route (given the screenshots presented to us) represents DTG’s best work?

• Like Like x 2
  37. NYIslanders0902

Ahhh ok

38. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

I'm excited for this route on one hand, but also not on the other. The overall texturing of everything from the trains to the masonry on bridges and grass, look way below TSW's usual scenery standard. I really hope these shots (especially the one below) aren't indicative of the quality of this route and the other RH routes.

[​IMG]

I find the shot above to look particularly bad. The cars have always looked off, as has the sky, but the viaduct seems really weird and low quality texture wise. Also, as others have pointed out, there is a glaring lack of weathering, making everything look a bit plasticy to my eyes.

I'll hold off with judging until the preview stream though, but todays shots have made me a bit less enthousiastic.

Sadly I won't be able to play it much anyways though, as I'm moving out to study on the other side of the country, and my PC will remain at home.

• Like Like x 4
  39. kevin.charb81

kevin.charb81 Well-Known Member

Question for the stream:

Any update on Playstation users being able to bring forward their progress onto the PS5 edition?

• Like Like x 1
  40. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I don’t really want to comment on the textures in the screenshots, as the stream is about to start soon but I’ll be keeping an eye out to see if there is actually going to be any detail there. And considering PS4 has lower quality versions of all the textures on top of that, I’m wondering whether to just build a train out of Lego and play with that instead. We’ll see.

• Like Like x 5
  41. Blacknred81

Funny enough, I don't think anyone has made the CTC-3s in Ho Scale.

• Like Like x 1
  42. solicitr

Take it from me, weathering usually takes much longer than the base livery.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  43. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

This route was the least interesting for me among the three and based on the screenshot now I'm no interested at all.

• Like Like x 3
  44. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

I really hope the gaps in the OHLE wire will be fixed before release, looks quite bad when there is suddenly no more wire :(

• Like Like x 2
  45. Thelonius16

Thelonius16 Well-Known Member

From watching the stream, it appears that they have the time of day wrong. Matt was walking around at 815am in Boston and the sun was barely up. The sun rise is 7:13 in Boston on December 25. So maybe they messed up daylight savings or something...

• Like Like x 4
  46. Blacknred81

So, sound like some rolling stock from Sand Patch Grade are layered into the route, but its all static due to the lack of in-cab signaling with the CSX locomotives.

Also, sounds like Brandon will be redoing the gantry/catenary poles for the route, but it will not be done by release.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  47. Louis-MTA NYCTA

Louis-MTA NYCTA Well-Known Member

Route looks amazing, hope it truly stands to it's name of being in the "rush hour" and is full of unique and standard daily services.
    DTG needs to get this route right, I can't wait for this route. It's American, I'm American and it's a famous route in America, I might be biased I know. The NEC returns August 19th, hopefully as well as more American routes for the remainder of 2021-2022.

For sure I am watching the stream.

NEC Boston Sprinter releases 1 day before the 1 year anniversary of TSW 2. (August 20th, 2020 TSW released)

• Like Like x 2
  48. surreychuff#3060

surreychuff#3060 Active Member

Any progress on the PS4 > PS5 save transfer and will it make the 19th August (if it’s fixable)

• Like Like x 1
  49. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

That question was just asked- they are trying but not guaranteed yet.
    Sam seems to be completely ignoring the questions we were invited to pose here, and is just looking at the stream chat.

• Like Like x 3
  50. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about anyone else, but is there anyone slightly surprised that only 187 services are driveable out of 700 or so. Don't get me wrong though, extremely pleased the AI traffic is there to make it busy - a thing I hope all future routes have more off. Just hope with the other two RH routes, we'll be able to have more services to drive - I suppose it's down to each route, if Boston only has limited route options, say compared to BML, then fair enough.

One big negative for me is that trains are still departing in the other direction with their headlights on. Breaks the immersion for me.

• Like Like x 1