Route Add On To Existing Routes

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by seanpward, Jul 28, 2021.

1. seanpward

seanpward Active Member

Would a route add on to an existing route be a good idea... And which lines would you like to see with this option?

• Like Like x 2
  2. seanpward

seanpward Active Member

Like a route that runs along side the existing underground line for the overground? Or a add on that runs the Great Western route further?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  3. drnicktgm#1259

drnicktgm#1259 Well-Known Member

A route extension for some routes would be really cool, DTG still has all the maps for all the routes so they could extend it, a big example is HRR and RRO, these routes are only about 30 km long and an extension would make it much better

• Like Like x 3
  4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

DTG have said (numerous times) that there are technical headaches with this, such as ensuring that all routes are available to all rather than needing four DLC to be able to drive any part of the route, and then ensuring that all timetables and points and awards are true along the entire route and each part of it

You also get reducing returns if there are dependencies as only so many people will get part one, and only a percentage of those will get parts two, three etc.

5. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

I still want the Peninsula Corridor route extension to Gilroy. Also, the extension needs to include a UP GP60 and some new UP rolling stock.

• Like Like x 1
  6. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

GWE branches to...
    Greenford
    Brentford Waste freight
    Colnbrook Oil freight
    Windsor Central
    Bourne End/Marlow
    (Heathrow very unlikely for licencing reasons)
    Henley on Thames
    Basingstoke
    GWE North Downs Line Reading to Reigate.
    ECW Lewes to Keymer Junction.
    SEHS Chatham Mainline London Victoria to Rochester.
    IOW Steam Railway Smallbrook Junction to Wootton.
    NTP Manchester Victoria to Bury dc line.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  7. subzero169

subzero169 Member

The Long Beach, Far Rockaway, and/or West Hempstead branch on the LIRR. Or even just completing the Port Washington branch

• Like Like x 2
  8. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

How about LIRR Babylon Branch that splits off from LIRR Main Line on an Overpass before Hillside Depot.

• Like Like x 2
  9. aaronbrall#7894

aaronbrall#7894 Active Member

I second this, I don't own RRO but I do own and love and have all the layers for HRR, and it defo could do with a route extension, the 27km route from Duisburg to Dusseldorf, with maybe the S11 line section to Dusseldorf Airport, From Dusseldorf maybe then the 16km line from Dusseldorf HBF to Solingen HBF, making it possible to do the entire S1 line from Dortmund to Solingen. which brings me into my next point the 22km line from Bochum to Dortmund. The whole thing would be about 80km, or more than double what it is now. and could add more layers onto it, namely the ICE, and the BR204

That leaves a bit of an issue with RRO, it runs between Hagen and Wuppertal but starts at Dusseldorf and ends at Dortmund at either end. I do have a solution though, make the S8 line possible, which runs from Monchengladbach to Hagen VIA Dusseldorf and Wuppertal. Again this would make it about a 70km route and more or less unique compared to HRR

Personally I hope the Preservation crew once they finished updating older routes start to work on this. because some of the routes other routes I'd like to see with extensions include
    East Coastway: Eastbourne-Hastings
    Ruhr Sieg Nord- Finenntrop-Siegen
    Main Spessart Bahn- Hanau-Wurzburg via Aschaffenburg-Lohr Bahnhof-Nantenbach Curve

• Like Like x 4
  10. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

I would definitely like to see the Babylon Branch sometime on TSW 2.

• Like Like x 1
  11. subzero169

subzero169 Member

I would love this too since I use the Babylon Branch a couple of times during a month

• Like Like x 1
  12. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

From what station exactly and I know for a fact Penn Station to Bellmore is 45 minutes. My Mom did that in 2018

13. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I think the big issue with extending routes is what you do with all the timetabled services that would have continued if the extension part had been there all along, like all the ones in GWE which you drive 'as far as Reading'. If the track were extended, would people have to re-do those services, or would the extended version already be counted as complete?

The best option for extending is to introduce new trains/services as part of the extension, but you'd need to have the extension idea in plan from the start to avoid introducing any of these timetabling issues.

The scalable example I gave before was on the Birmingham Cross City route I suggested where the base pack could have the WM Trains New Street to Bromsgrove line with the branch to Redditch, and its EMUs (323 currently, 730 from next year), plus a possible freight layer with the 66.

An extension pack could then be sold with the WM Trains DMUs (170/172 Turbostars currently, 196 coming on stream this year) which also run from New Street but continue past Bromsgrove onto the non-electrified rail, extending the route as far as Worcester, Malvern or beyond with a whole new set of timetabled services which don't interfere with the existing EMU services.

You could market this as a normal train add-on so it would require the base pack to be installed, but would also extend the track outside of the area originally used. Presumably from a technical perspective, you could make those extra location 'tiles' part of the add-on download so it wouldn't unnecessarily bloat the base pack with rail that the EMUs can't use.

They could then even add an XC pack later with a Voyager which uses the same track from New Street, as far as Droitwich, then out into the countryside towards Cheltenham for a high speed element (more details on the other thread).

If DTG wanted to give us excellent value for our money (and offset the obvious complaints about the base route only being 20-25 miles for both branches), setting the route as 'current day' 2021-22 would be perfect because you could have both the outgoing and incoming EMUs in the base pack (plus the 66) and both DMUs in the extension pack.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
  14. subzero169

subzero169 Member

I did Massapequa Park, Freeport, and now I stop at Lynbrook.