Has Anyone Here Watched Tokyo 2020 Olympics

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by driverwoods#1787, Aug 8, 2021.

1. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Hi guys it's me Driverwoods#1787 and I'm asking a question has anyone in the Train Sim World 2 community watched the 2020 Tokyo Olympics from July 23, 2021, to today August 8th, 2021?
    Here are some Important Highlights
    Austria Getting the Gold medal on the Women's Road Race

US Men's Basketball getting the gold medal for 3 times in a Row from Beijing 2008

Note This one Has NBA All-Stars US Durant Brooklyn and France Gobert Utah Jazz

2. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Videos not available in the UK sadly Screenshot_20210808-194759.png

• Like Like x 1
  3. driverwoods#1787

Those are from NBC United States. I'll try and find British Broadcasting Corporation versions of those. Other news agencies that can be viewed in the United Kingdom for Tokyo 2020

UCI

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  4. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I couldn't care less about the Olympics imo. I don't even support Scottish Athletes in them. I'm not going to say why, I don't want a debate.

The closest I've come to the Olympics was the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, 2014. Watched the same world record be beaten twice in 20 minutes. But that's the closest I'll get to bothering with them.

• Like Like x 1
  5. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Here’s an interesting fact (well I think so anyway).

There’s a young married couple from Knutsford, Cheshire who have won more Olympic gold medals than the second most populous country in the World.

Jason and Laura Kenny have won 12 gold medals between them. India has only won 10 in its history.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Much too nationalistic for me anymore. The medal count per country is all that seems to matter. It's not supposed to be that way, but money and professionalism have taken over.

• Like Like x 3
  7. driverwoods#1787

What sport did they do in 2020 Tokyo? If you're from the UK Adam Peaty did beat the Americans in the Breastroke races. First men's race against Michael Andrew Mixed medley against Lydia Jacoby.

8. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

They're both cyclists.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  9. driverwoods#1787

Thank you for telling me for the Americans Road cycling you have Dybert and Riviera females mens is McNulty and Craddock. Looks like you are interested in their event a velodrome

10. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

For some reason I've had zero interest in this Olympics. Don't know if all the hype was on Euro 2020 for me.

• Like Like x 1
  11. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

How'd that one go? I heard something about Rome. :D

I'm kidding, of course.
    I'm probably in the same situation. All my focus was on the Euros, then in the first few days of the Olympics I was on holiday.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

:D Terrible ahaha

• Like Like x 1
  13. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I watched a lot of the Olympics. Not as much as usual because the BBC lost out to capitalism for the rights to show all the sports, so a lot of the stuff I wanted to watch wasn’t really covered in detail. I can now safely ignore all sport for another year until the Winter Olympics and the football World Cup. I like the international nature of the competition and although it is true that countries that have better funded sports programmes win the most medals, it is still the individual athletes or teams doing it on the day.

• Like Like x 1
  14. driverwoods#1787

Which was your favourite moment of the 2020 Olympics? Mine were Diaz Philippine Air Force Colonel getting a gold medal followed by Kevin Durant men's basketball getting 3rd gold mmedal. For Swimming Ledecky and Caleb dressel getting gold in two events. Since you're from the United Kingdom your mixed relay team ended up beating Ours because Adam Peaty was able to beat his female American counterpart Seward Alaska Lydia Jacoby.
    The women's road cycling race was interesting everyone had expected the Dutch Team to retain their gold medal from Rio 2016 but Austria got it.

15. junior hornet

Euro 2020 was good but I haven’t watched any football since the season started on Friday (and I tend to watch more EFL games than Premier League). The main reason is that I have been engrossed by The Hundred cricket competition which is going on at the moment. Not one for cricket purists but there have been some exciting games. The good news is that if you have Sky or Virgin (in the UK), you can watch all of the games on Sky Sports Mix without having to shell out on a Sky Sports subscription.

16. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Cricket ( otherwise known as watching paint dry :)) might return to the Olympics in Los Angeles in 2028, after an absence of 120 years. (They're probably still playing that match). I was amazed to learn that there are an estimated 30 million cricket fans in the US. That's probably close to soccer in popularity. Of course soccer is the third most played sport, behind only basketball and (American) football, and it's easy to find a game to watch on any Sunday. On the other hand, I wouldn't know where to go to find a cricket game. I'm willing to bet that nobody plays the version that lasts a week. Still, who can dislike a game that stops for tea. :)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  17. junior hornet

Ì would imagine that the LA Olympic format of cricket will be either T20 (limited to 20 overs per side or 120 balls) or The Hundred (similar to T20 but twenty 5 ball overs - 100 balls). This leads to more attacking batting, with the increased risk of getting out. Games last typically 2 and a half to 3 hours (about the same as an American Football match I think). There is always a result (and I know Americans hate tied games :) )

These forms of the game didn’t exist 120 years ago (or even 20 years ago) so there will be no games lasting 5 days with meal breaks built in this time around.

By the way, another sport that Americans are not known for playing is Rugby. However, USA are the reigning Olympic champions, having won gold in 1924. It has not been played at the Olympics since.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  18. driverwoods#1787

Absolutely correct speaking of rugby it's the Australians and new zealanders getting a gold medal. Road cycling women's typically the Netherlands until now

19. nockwurst

nockwurst Well-Known Member

Watching our women’s soccer/football team finally win gold was pretty awesome. Canada tends be very bleah in the international soccer world so it was a nice change.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

I would be ok with T20 in the Olympics as long as they stripped out all the artificial commercial-ness of the game (essentially making it 2/5ths of a classic 50-over One Day International). Really don't see the point of The Hundred, it feels like a slight change to T20 for no real gain other than just dumbing it down for casual audiences even more.

The full 15-a-side rugby union code hasn't been an Olympic sport since 1924, but Rugby 7s has been part of the last two Olympics - as with the international competitions, the Pacific Island nations (especially Fiji) and New Zealand are the dominant 7s teams, Australia/England etc don't have the player archetypes to really shine in those style games.

Australia would be lucky to reach the bronze medal game on current form, if not the semis. NZ, England, South Africa and France would be the more solid bets.
    Unless you mean Rugby League, in which case it would be Australia and New Zealand in the gold medal match and England trampling some poor bastard in the bronze.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
  21. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

Yes and didn’t the UK! ( Team GB ) do well. ;):love:

• Like Like x 3
  22. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

I live down under and watched the BBC Sport Olympic coverage via Nord VPN.
    Their coverage was fantastic and (mainly) non-jingoistic. The sport being shown was always commented on by a pro in that sport.
    I did notice the "medal count" being a dominating factor in the media (same for my home country), which shouldn't be a thing.

I also follow cycling tours, American footy and anything I see interesting via a VPN. It is the only way.

• Like Like x 1
  23. LodeStar

LodeStar Active Member

The original plan was to go visit Japan during the Olympics, combining it with some railfanning (visiting 3 railway museums). Sadly enough, Covid came by...I had a day-to-day planning made in December 2019...
    I guess I still need to go for the railfanning part though! :love:

Now I followed most of the Olympics (during the night most of it...jetlag without flying) on Dutch television and Eurosport/Discovery+.
    Our athletics team (4x400m/Sifan Hassan/Marathon/Pentathlon) was pretty good, as well as our bikers (BMX, Velodrome and on the road, sadly enough Mathieu van der Poel had mistaken the mountainbike track...and our women forgot 'the one that got away'), rowing, and with fieldhockey our women won the gold medal.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  24. driverwoods#1787

You mean Anna Kiesenhofer in the women's road race and for the Mountain bike track I saw that crash. Great Britain won men's mountain bike

• Like Like x 1
  25. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

I saw some clips - like the BBC not knowing what a Gundam was, Uzbekistan doing Sailor Moon in the Gymnastics and Sonic/Final Fantasy/ChronoTrigger/Demon Slayer in the Opening/Closing.

The IOC stomp on any 3rd party clips online. So anything posted doesn't last long

• Like Like x 1