Ts18: The Portsmouth Direct – In-development Update

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Jul 3, 2018.

1. TrainSim-James

TrainSim-James Staff Member

[​IMG]

The revamped and extended Portsmouth Direct Line is nearing ever closer to release, and is shaping up to be an incredible route with fantastic potential.

READ MORE

• Like Like x 10
  2. TrainSim-Luke

TrainSim-Luke Well-Known Member

Hi ARuscoe, the link is now fixed.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CrazyGecko

CrazyGecko Active Member

Certainly looking forward to this :) Any rough idea on price?

4. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Nice update James. Thanks :)

5. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

Really awesome! Glad to see the lights were fixed! ;)
    Looking forward to it, especially the MT MKS Desiros, as I once was on a Class 444!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Wilbnil

Wilbnil Well-Known Member

Looking great:)
    very nice modelling of rolling stock aswell!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  7. Mr395008

Mr395008 Member

I'm very much looking forward to getting this!

8. madmeister

madmeister Member

The cab looks fantastic. Wouldn't that model be something for TSW as well? ;)

9. CrazyGecko

CrazyGecko Active Member

So DTG would this mean other older routes could be given a similar treatment too?

10. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Looks great and looking forward to it's release

• Like Like x 1
  11. TrainSim-Luke

It's a possibility.
    What routes would you guys like to see given a re-work?

• Like Like x 3
  12. Yawwie

Yawwie New Member

This looks absolutely stunning, cannot wait any longer. I just hope the trains sound accurate!

13. Yawwie

Yawwie New Member

Train Sim Steve could you give the GEML a rework?

14. The SimTrain Tube

The SimTrain Tube Well-Known Member

I cannot wait to get my hands on this, looks really good.

15. nigeldarl2

nigeldarl2 New Member

hi there got a question will the route also have the class 458 Juniper units as well and would the be a possible ext from waterloo to reading?

16. CrazyGecko

CrazyGecko Active Member

In terms of renewal wether it's modernised or same time period but the highspeed curves are in need of fixing.
    I'd suggest: ECML York to Newcastle
    Great Western Mainline "Potential for GWR livery stock like 166/165, electrostars, HST and 800 if modernised"
    Settle to Carlisle
    West Coast Mainline North
    West Coast Mainline over Shap

There's also routes that have track, signals, yards and stations but no scenary which would make ideal route extensions to fill the gaps too if it would be of interest?

• Like Like x 5
  17. agsieg

agsieg New Member

I've always been an advocate for a rework of the original Cajon Pass route. Though there is an upgrade on Workshop, I think an entirely new route with upgraded track, textures, and scenery would look great and really do justice to what is arguably the most famous rail line in North America, if not the world.

• Like Like x 2
  18. ash992478

ash992478 Member

Whilst the route is still one of my all time favorites and in my opinion one of the best routes DTG have ever made, London to Brighton could do with a rework as quite a lot of things have changed between 2012 (when the route is set) compared to today, you've got the new Thameslink Depot at Three Bridges with the Class 700s, Gatwick Airport P7 and works to make P5 bi-directional, Redhill P0 and various platform extensions in the South London areas. The big works at London Bridge have just finished also. An extension of the route to Horsham would be very much welcomed as it's a more logical start/stop place than Three Bridges for services which head down the Arun Valley due to the coupling/uncoupling which takes place there. A reworked Electrostar and a new Class 700 too and you'd have a big hit there DTG, especially with the Class 700.

• Like Like x 2
  19. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

A reworked London to Brighton would be nice, definitely. Especially if it comes with a Class 387 in Gatwick Express livery. A 387 in Thameslink livery would also be honkey-dorey with me as those have operated over that route in recent history. :)

#ReleaseThe387

• Like Like x 1
  20. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

I'll second GEML, Crossrail updates, TfL branded stations, new rolling stock coming. An expansion to include the beautiful Sudbury - Marks Tey Line and the seaside route to Walton/Clacton would really add something to the title. Maybe even a Blue era version with classes 306, 312 and 309s to add to the already available Diesel stock of the time.

21. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

THANK YOU for putting the passenger view camera in the window seat for once. Now you can actually get a much better view out the window at the scenery going past. I hate it when they situate the camera in the aisle seat.

22. ewsclass66

ewsclass66 New Member

When either the night, day and marker headlight settings are chosen on the Desiros, both marker lights are illuminated instead of just the opposite side as can be seen in the photo.[​IMG]

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. iAspex

iAspex Active Member

Somebody is working on the updated GEML I believe and someone posted in a Facebook group I'm in about them working on a modern version of the WCML North, so you're in luck. Over Shap however, there's not much to be updated tbh, it's got the Virgin signs and all plus an extension to Windermere kindly made by someone on the workshop.

• Like Like x 1
  24. CrazyGecko

CrazyGecko Active Member

For the WCML routes it's mostly the curves in highspeed area's that needed fixing.

25. Goldline

Goldline New Member

The routes and trains that come with the route I would like to see bring upto date and re-work on are:
    1. WCML Trent Valley that could be extended from Stafford to Crewe and then back all the way down to London Euston and maybe have the help from master key simulations for the Class 350 Desiro, class 350/1 top speed 110mph and 350/2 top speed 100mph. and the route itself could bring lots of life and make fans like me enjoy alot.
    2. Brighton main line this one is something I think needs some love to because it's a old route now what should come back from the dead as so much goes on this route like the Gatwick Express services that use Class 387 Electrostar and for the Brighton line Class 377 Electrostar both units top speed 100mph.

26. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

I don’t think DTG could touch trent valley themselves since it was made by Thompson Interactive, who are very strict with that kind of thing.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Newcastle York could do with some attention. Theres no ballast between tracks, its just single tracks in parallel with grass textures in between for example. Looks pretty appalling these days to be honest.

28. theobsessedgamer

theobsessedgamer New Member

Your doing really well on this so far but I would like to point out a few things. 1. The day and night running lights on the 450+444 include both of the marker lights on.
    2. It’s hard to tell whether you’ve done this or not but the gangway door on a class 444 is about 1/3 bigger than the ones the 450 (When coupled to another 444)
    3. The red stripe under the lights of the 450 & 444 are a bit wrong

Please can I also request one thing. That you include the sound from 0:44 - 0:46 on the 450 and the sounds from 0:48 - 0:51 & 1:07 - 1:11 on the 444. (They happen when the desiro's are on idle/braking mode) thanks.

(The video underneath proves all of my points)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  29. deano954

deano954 Member

Wow this looks amazing can"t wait to be driving this route plus I know you guys can"t answer this question but just wondering do you have a date when it will be out just so i got the money and finally will the owners of Portsmouth Direst Line get a discount?

30. Goldline

Goldline New Member

Well it would be nice to hear that from them everyone just guesses but where's DTG when you want them to speak out about things like this then rather leaving us hanging :/.

31. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

I am actually pretty stoked about this. Never Been to the UK, but have been quite fond of the equipment used for this route. Always wondered why there was never a passenger view with these locos, but to now see that they're being graced with them finally, along with the other aspects of the overhaul, not to mention Waterloo finally getting its recognition in TS20xx, which to me and I'm sure many others agree, is way overdue. I am so looking forward to getting this.

As always, I have to throw in the hopes that American routes and locos start getting proper treatment like this as well.

• Like Like x 3
  32. Wolf

Wolf Member

Are the brakes on some of the Multiple units getting updated too?

I remember the 444 being infamous for it's bad brakes! ;)

Also is that a free update for previous owners of the route or will you get a discount for owning the route?

As for routes that could use a Touch up, I would like to see the old ones updated, like:
    -the GWR between Paddington and Oxford, maybe with an extension. And please, just please upgrade the Class 166, that multiple unit is just pitiful, it needs some love.
    -the S&DJR Bath-Templecombe as it's still a great route with beautiful landscape just with old assets. And the route is a real challenge.
    -The WCML North, it would be nice to have the neutral sections and the superlevation from over Shap.
    -The Western Lines of Scotland, mainly an asset update and some updates for some of the track work, the route is still great.
    -Woodhead, the original steam era route, the route is still great to drive, but a touch up of the assets would be nice.

-Semmeringbahn Mürzzugschlag-Glognitz Some of the PZB Magnets are acting up, there is especially an active 500 hz in a tunnel.

-München-Garmischpartenkirchen, basically no one in the german community runs that one unmodded.
    -München-Rosenheim, the Bridge over the Isar is used on the wrong side, one of the main S-Bahn stations is pure fantasy, given that it's 4 tracks on one level instead 4 on 2 different levels, aka 2 per level. Also that route should be extended to Salzburg as most Intercities, Railjets and Eurocities bypass Rosenheim on their way to Salzburg.

-Cologne-Koblenz again no one runs this umodded, because the tree types are wrong and with a better looking mod it actually runs better. The Br 146s in it need a fix to their brakes, if you run them with the PZB, which was a nice upgrade btw, you sometimes need to lower the brake line pressure to 3.5 bar to make the braking requirements.
    If you go anywhere near 4.2-4.0 bar the loco will wheelslip/glide like mad destroying all your points, which is unrealistic behaviour for that loco.

-The old NEC/Northeast Corridor, again you need to mod it, because the uneveness in the trackrule file is to much, which makes all your trains unstable and move like mad. Also more modern assets would not go awry.

-West Highland line South...the scenerywork could be better and it would profit from an improved Class 37.

-Falmouth Branch, the line looks nice is nice to drive, but some assets have some faults like the fences missing fenceboards and the like.

-West Somerset Railway, sorry to say it that bluntly, but the level of detail is bad, really bad, the Member's edition upgrade of it which is availlable as freeware really shows it up.

-Ruhr-Sieg Line also known as Hagen-Siegen, the Assets are old and could use a replacement, the trackwork is old and could be improved, not superlevation, the curves are too tight and on some of the more realistic rolling stock you can't take it at line speed.
    Also locos that come with it the old Kuju Br 101 and the Br 143 have brakes that never release fully, which means you need a community fix to play them.

-Donner Pass, could use some more modern assets and the Career Scenarios are unachieveable.

Not sure about the Munich-Augsburg Career Scenarios, I'll have to look at them if they are achieveable.

Oh and how about a re-release of the BNSF routes, especially Steven's Pass for european customers? Steven's Pass is rather integral to a lot of workshop and third party routes in the us.

And how about some backdated versions of some of those routes, like a 1920-1940's Northeast Corridor, a Donner Pass and other us routes of the same era? I really like the US Railroading of the 1920's to 1950's, because it was so varied, lot's of steam, also diesel, some electrics, passenger and freight trains and a lot of stuff and routes that have been lost to time.

But the Biggest update that I'd want to see is one that probably won't ever happen........ a port of Train Simulator to 64-bit......it's ridiculously easy to run into the 4 GB limit with some of the more realistic routes, if you combine them with a high detail route.

Also I really appreciate that you are asking us for our input, it's a welcome change! :)

Would be great if it was extended to the rolling stock as well.

• Like Like x 1
  33. DukeDudeston

DukeDudeston New Member

I am looking forward to this new extension, I will gladly buy it, as it is the line which I live on.
    I have many other assets, that I can use on this line, the 442, 456, 158/159's all in SWT livery (even the 170) that I would love to make a full blown scenario for, running down to portsmouth from London Waterloo, while watching the commuter 455's do their thing.

I have the UKTS version of the south-west lines and although that isn't a bad attempt, it is very broken in a lot of places, the fact that I cant even make a simple service leave Waterloo due to either incorrect electrification or bi-directional restrictions, makes this nothing more than a boring "free roam" route. The other one I have, does allow me to create AI that works, however it is empty, no scenery what so ever, don't get me wrong the guys have done a really good job on it all, but rolling down empty tracks you don't get the experience you want.

As for improvements on current routes? Someone has already said the London-to-Brighton route, yes it could do with a bit of modernizing but overall this route is still very enjoyable, I do like the idea of making an extension off the route, or other routes.

I would love to see a London to Sheffield run though, thats a route I used to take on a weekly basis, well to derby and I used to love it, I know we have London to Bedford, so maybe just extend that one?

I just hope we don't have to wait too long for this new route, as I can't wait to make some nice scenarios and drive the route I am the most familiar with.

• Like Like x 1
  34. iAspex

iAspex Active Member

If you read the post, you'd know..

Screenshot_589.png

• Like Like x 1
  35. Wolf

Wolf Member

I did, but it seems I missed that part, thx for reminding me.

• Like Like x 1
  36. oXoP4NDEMiCZoXo

oXoP4NDEMiCZoXo New Member

Very nice indeed, it would be nice to get additional content for the South West Trains franchise now that we have the brand, such as maybe an AP 158 from Lymington pier to Brockenhurst just a little route for AP and DTG to make some money on, with maybe two SWT trains livery's, I think this would be a wonderful little pack, and AP could give a teaser to there (Cummins) pack on Steam

37. theobsessedgamer

theobsessedgamer New Member

I’d like to see the London to Peterborough given a rework and have it include LNER HSTs and 225 sets, The class 700 in Great Northen and thameslink and the class 717 in great northern

• Like Like x 1
  38. haanuman

haanuman New Member

Hmm, nice observation.

• Like Like x 1
  39. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

The route looks amazing especially excited about train and waterloo.
    Could MasterKey Simulations redo the 375/377 so you get all the announcements.
    Looking forward to it coming out.

40. SprattyHeath

SprattyHeath Well-Known Member

Quick question, is the Southern 377/1 & 377/3 the same original model from RSC, or is it a completely revamped model?

41. TrainSim-Luke

Just checked, the 377's are the same ones from the Chatham Mainline route in southern livery. They are AI trains only for this route.

42. SprattyHeath

SprattyHeath Well-Known Member

Many thanks!

43. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I started with TS2012 and some of the older routes are looking very tired compared with current routes.
    Great Western Mainline - could be brought in to the 21st Century with OHLE and the extension to Heathrow airport.
    ECML - York to Newcastle could also do with an update and maybe OHLE
    As Hagen to Siegen comes to TSW a modern version for TS2018 would be good with the newer assets that are now in your toolbox
    London to Brighton could do with a few niggles fixing, passengers walking thru mid air across the tracks, but it's still quite playable
    And maybe the Somerset and Dorset railway could do with a facelift whilst keeping it's period of operation.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  44. pugsnotdrugs

pugsnotdrugs New Member

45. TheWierdOne

TheWierdOne New Member

London to Brighton, GWML to Oxford with electrification that's been installed,

46. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Hello, Luke,
    Does "AI trains only" mean that they are not available for "home-made" scenarios?

47. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

No. When you run a train from A to B you see other trains moving at the same time - these are running as AI Control.
    You can not drive them in the Scenario you are playing but you can use those trains on "any" other route you own.
    "Any" would depend on the route having electrification for an electric train but you can run a Diesel train almost anywhere

Peter

• Like Like x 1