Cane Creek Route Worth Its Price!

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by LastTrainToClarksville, Aug 8, 2021.

1. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Although I had promised myself that I would wait to buy Cane Creek until it went on sale, I gave in a couple of days ago. Today, driving the 5:00 AM version of LDP46-A to Moab made me wish I had purchased it earlier:

20210808120117_1.jpg
    The screenshot really doesn't do justice to the route: pulling into Moab is simply stunning and makes the long run to get there well worth doing. Beauty is its own reward.

Along the way, I occasionally heard that sound that a number of folks have griped about, attributing it to overly loud automobiles, but when I heard it there were no automobiles anywhere in sight, so it must come from some other source -- and it isn't really as obnoxious as others have claimed.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I personally find it very annoying. Somebody at Skyhook obviously thought it was a good idea. There is an audio patch comming for the route, I hope that's part of it.
    But, overall I agree, it's an enjoyable route for freight aficionados, despite some rather glaring errors mentioned elsewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  4. LastTrainToClarksville

Thanks for that link, which I may well look into later.

For now, I'm still not at all convinced that what you and others have referred to as "annoying traffic noise" has anything to do with road traffic. I've now driven several activities and cannot help noticing that the noise in question is not always present when cars are visible on the roads and, vice-versa, is sometimes audible when there are no cars visible on the roads. When I turn up the volume of my 7.1 speakers, the sound is more reminiscent of surf coming in than any sound I've ever heard an automobile make, but of course that is ridiculous. What is it? I don't know. I'm pretty sure, however, that is isn't coming from cars on the roads.

5. Callum B.

You are correct that the noise does not come from the traffic, but it is still the sound of traffic (i.e., rolling noise from tyres), hence the phrase.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  6. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It’s the sound of fast traffic on a busy road, when more noise comes from the tyres on the road surface and the wind effect than from the engines of the vehicles. It just plays at inappropriate times and very high volume because of the bug.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Reventloff

Reventloff Well-Known Member

Generally I agree, its a decent route indeed. Was real pleasure to go through the journey mode and the last chapter I liked most of all as it tries to replicate common day on the line. However I have a bit mixed feelings with Chapter 5 (freeroam operations), because while Im certainly able to entertain myself in free roam mode, but... being unable to load/unload cars in this services looks lacking for me.

The traffic sound is annoying of course as it appears in unexpected places! But overall I can take it as a minor bug, together with occasional flying stones here and there. However the real pity is that they didnt include the proper cars for uranium tailings here!

Anyway, it worths its price, yeah! ;)

8. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

very good usa route i have

9. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

If I want to admire breathtaking landscapes, for 40 Euros more (or by joining Microsoft Game Pass), I buy Flight Simulator 2020. If I want to drive the AC44 and SD40 I already have Sand Patch Grade and Clinchfield Rail Road. Cane Creek would have been great at 30 Euros (full price) if it had been designed to combine the visual spectacle (of MOAB) with a route that would have offered a much more satisfying and long Mainline. Here instead it happens that as you enter the Mainline, where you can finally exceed 15Mph (a pain), the map ends. Even so great, but only for half the price.

• Like Like x 2
  10. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Will be good value at £16.24. Paid that for xBox. Will wait for PC version to reduce next year.

11. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Is this exaggeration or is this one of those really slow routes? I was quite tempted looking at the route, but if it's one of those frustratingly slow ones where you're shuffling around yards without ever getting up to any kind of speed, I'll probably pass.

12. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Max track speed on the branch is 25 mph with dips down to 20 and 15 mph. The short main line section allows 60 mph.

13. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Sometimes it’s best to ignore the speed limits and just kick the tyres and light the fires…

• Like Like x 4
  14. conniethunder

conniethunder Well-Known Member

I found that the car sounds signalled that you were near to a collectable.
    Maybe someone with more patience for collecting these items can verify if I'm right? :)

15. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

I am very pleased with this purchase. One of the best routes. It has disadvantages like all other DLCs.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Alex_m30x#7297

Alex_m30x#7297 Well-Known Member

Cough cnl failure

• Like Like x 1
  17. LastTrainToClarksville

That's a hilariously wonderful notion!

18. LastTrainToClarksville

I haven't discovered and "shuffling around yards" yet, but, as a switching enthusiast I'm hoping for that. "To each his own."

• Like Like x 1
  19. LastTrainToClarksville

Sounds like a recipe for earning a negative score! I'll admit, though, it does strike me as fun. However, on Cane Creek there is a sort of compensation for the low speed limits since the frequent grade changes force you to alternate between throttle and brakes. I think I'm finally learning how to manage dynamic brakes!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I agree, it may sound like fun to floor the throttle and go hell bent for leather, but it doesn't feel satisfying in the end as much as running a service or scenario in a serious and " professional " way, while learning how to handle multiple locos ahead of a heavy freight consist. I don't worry at all about point scoring, medals or trophies, but I like the feeling of accomplishment in a job done well.
    But, to each his zone.

• Like Like x 5
  21. VolvoB10M

VolvoB10M Guest

The route itself looks really good, the only issues with the route are a few floating rocks here and there as well as one in the middle of the track on a bridge. The two locos seem buggy, the SD40-2 works ok with a few braking problems if you uncouple then couple to a train and the AC4400 will not restart if the power unit is shut down.

22. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Forgive me for saying but you've bought a black screen? :cool:

23. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Its a slow branch line located in the middle of Utah, outside the short mainline section from Brendel to Thompson Springs, dont expect speeds above 25mph.

Which is why I still wish they added the mainline from Green River to Thompson Springs. Would of mixed up the route a bit.

But no point dwelling on that, I just hope Skyhook has a patch planned in the future, as the AC4400CW, one scenerio, and some pieces of rolling stock definitely need it.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  24. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Right, I'll hold off for now, then! Thanks for the replies :)

25. LastTrainToClarksville

A black screen????? What are you on about?????????

• Like Like x 1
  26. LastTrainToClarksville

I haven't experienced any of these things -- but, then, I don't drive trains with a magnifying glass in my hand to look for things that I think might be amiss.

27. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

The floating rocks do not disturb me much while driving, but when you are on foot it is very sloppy and annoying ant is not "a few"but "a lot".
    Also, at the end of the line there are very ugly plants and they do not render well at a longer distance so you see a kind of glow in the dark rectangular blobs popping up all time, that turn out to be a kind of plastic vegetation. Except for this and some other comments, I like the beauty of the scenery.

28. ShodanCat

ShodanCat Member

I'm very interested in the route but I'm keen on finding out if there will be any bug fixes in the coming major patch for TSW2 before I spend money on it.

29. Callum B.

Yes, there will be bug fixes. I am not sure if those fixes are yet known. They should be available in the patch notes coming in next week's update.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  30. ShodanCat

ShodanCat Member

Looks like no fixes at all for Cane Creek in the patch, other than raildriver support for the AC4400. :/ Looks like I'll be holding off on it for the forseeable future.

• Like Like x 1
  31. LastTrainToClarksville

I still haven't spotted any "flying rocks". but yesterday I did run one of the sessions that ends at Potash in Winter Clear weather. As I approached Potash in early evening light, some of the snow-covered bushes were glowing as brightly as high wattage white light bulbs. I've never been there, so can't really say whether this is a realistic effect or not, but it looked pretty unnatural -- almost Disney-esque.

TSW2_TAPper_1629109419_00.jpg

TSW2_TAPper_1629110314_00.jpg

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
  32. ShodanCat

ShodanCat Member

That's basically due to the extremely limited draw distance of shadows in TSW/TSW2. Once foliage is beyond the range of shadow draw distance, they are fully lit no matter where they are (in this case, the sun is bellow the horizon but because there are no shadows drawn on the more distant vegetation, they are lit as though on full blast by the sun anyway.)

This is why I'm very glad they are finally giving us distance field shadows as an option in tomorrow's update.

33. LastTrainToClarksville

Interesting! Thanks for explaining that.

34. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

There is an Uranium mine, so the bushes are atomic "GLOW " in the dark one :)

35. damarjatiaji

damarjatiaji Guest

After reading this discussion, i got mixed feeling about buying the Cane Creek Subdiv. Should i buy it or not? I'm on the Epic Store's version of the game & Cane Creek Subdiv already patched for 4.26 TSW2. I love western american scene and love the big diesel as well.

36. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

Love yourself first

37. LastTrainToClarksville

How do you feel about switching, loading/unloading, and driving mostly slow-moving freight trains while encountering constantly changing elevations? I love all of those things and thus much appreciate this route, but of course you have to decide how you feel.

• Like Like x 3