Boston Sprinter [2nd Stream] Feedback & Questions

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Mattty May, Aug 12, 2021.

1. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Some feedback/questions from watching the second Boston Sprinter Stream.
    • Can the camera move a far distance away from the train (free camera) on console?
    • The FP40 horn did not appear to be linked to the bell (as is the case with the ACS-64). Is this normal?
    • The horn and engine sounds were superb. The track sound sounded great too.
    • The MBTA coaches look better than they did, but still not as good/realistic looking as the Amfleet coaches.
    • The MBTA Cab cars seemed to be missing their main headlights - only ditch lights were lit on AI trains.
    • Two MBTA trains were on the same section of track (or at least appeared that way) around 1h 8m to 1h 9m into the stream just before Matt overshot the station. See screenshot below.
    BE72442F-13C2-46F1-8E86-E1103D1AD515.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  2. porawit

porawit Member

bell of f40 Mbtaf40 Mbta will not be the samewill not be the same Caltrain

3. pacificorca#1435

pacificorca#1435 Active Member

Agreed on all of the above, some really encouraging stuff especially from a sound design standpoint. That traffic jam at Readville is... concerning to say the least. I'm still a bit suspicious of the station signs on platforms, they looked very good at Back Bay and Ruggles, but I did spot one at Rt 128 that still looked generic. I do hope that's something that modders might actually be able to fix reasonably easily.

4. Matzo

Matzo Active Member

The stream was interesting, but, at least for me, not for the right reasons. More gameplay is great, it always is, learning it'll require an update to get the depot moves, not so much. From the start the whole stream seemed off to be honest...

I can't explain it too well, but it didn't feel like a display of what this software can do and what to look forward too, more like a play along, something you'd typically see by the community after the products release.

That in itself isn't a bad thing. Just not what I would expect at this stage in the build up to release.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Birita

Birita Well-Known Member

Well i am really worried how the game is with new core update (afraid It introduces new bugs...i have seen some in epic build that werent there before) and i dont have the confidence that enought playtest was done (especially on Ps4/XboxOne) feels like they only focused on XboxX and Ps5 new versions, let alone the Boston route that is missing some features already that was only spotted last week!? Missing sound wasnt clear if was the stream fault or in game problem(If was in game is even more concerning).
    Oh well...

6. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’m hoping I’ll be able to change the weather setting sliders as they didn’t appear to be individually selectable on the stream with the whole box being highlighted. Matt never streams without adding extra cloud to the clear setting but he couldn’t with a controller. Is that going to be released like that?

I’m also a bit surprised that nobody from DTG spotted that half the Amtrak services were missing in the timetable selection screen. I always try to not think the worst when things get shown and released in broken states like this but these simple oversights should not happen. There’s clearly not enough people checking this stuff.

After all the criticism last time about some things being difficult to read, they produce that new mini map thing this time. The light orange writing against two shades of light grey. What were they thinking making it like that and what were they thinking when they checked it and thought that it was acceptable, and approved it? Answers in invisible ink on a postcard please.

• Like Like x 10
  7. computer.wizdj3

computer.wizdj3 Member

I have a question will the NEC Boston sprinter route be free once the rush hour update goes live for those who already own train sim world 2 if so great if not what price and is there a discount for PlayStation plus users

8. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

This tripped me up as well. If we go back to Hamburg-Lübeck, I can understand how PZB slipped through - whoever checked it just didn‘t have a clue how it works. Shouldn‘t happen, but makes sense at least. But how could they miss a large chunk of gameplay missing from the timetable? Whatever QA there is must have really not been paying attention (or not been properly briefed - to be fair) for this to slip through. Bad news either way.

I really don‘t want to say this, but after the cuts to BRD and now all of these new issues on Boston Sprinter, it‘s starting to look more and more like Rush Hour is literally rush Hour.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

You'd have to pay for the rush hour DLC, either all 3 routes or pick and choose. Further details can be found here

10. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I was a bit worried at one point during the Balloon manoeuvre (44:30 in the stream) when the train started going forward again and Matt switched to the map and wanted to go to MBTA stuff in a bit of a panic. Then it turned out it was supposed to go to the depot... which would make sense. Is that the case? Was that truly supposed to happen?

Otherwise sound was particularly good this time around, which is surprising for US trains in TSW. Only (and someone pointed it out) the number of flat wheels was a bit concerning... MBTA, fix your wheels :D

On a funny side note, I like the theoretical idea that the fix for jetpack passengers might make it so that if we go fast with our train, we could delete them from within the train :D (I know the limiter probably doesn't work in a train, but hey, funny thought)

11. breblimator

breblimator Guest

On PC, using a pad, they are individually selectable, but not highlighted (when selected). Dog in the fog.

EDIT

6 PSI initial reduction convinced me to buy \o/ yhyhyhyhy
    > continuous improvement is shocking real <

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I have to wonder sometimes about the testing, QA and beta process. Too many things seem to slip through like the headlight/taillight embarrassment, the gantry issue, cruise control on the ACS 64, the crazy lane markings on highways en route, the illegibility of the new map, and the absence of a key landmark like Pawtucket station. And how was the night lighting in CRR and CCR deemed acceptable. I won't even mention the DPU and dynamic brake issues that plague some NA locos. These things, among others, are so easily and quickly spotted by forum members, why do they get missed internally or in Beta. I'm scratching my head and sometimes tearing my hair out.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  13. computer.wizdj3

computer.wizdj3 Member

i was just wondering cause i used to own NEC New york when it was on tsw2020 and i would still have the ACS-64 but i was just wondering if it would be free for the release date of rush hour cause what if someone can't afford the routes and u still have the routes u purchased already cause i don't want to spend alot of money on games i have other bills and each month i have to pay for a train ride to texas and back on the sunset limited(a route i requested but someone said it was too much for them to do cause it takes 2 days to get to Los Angeles from New Orleans and back plus the loco they need is the p42DC if not the route then the loco will do all they have to do is copy it from train simulator 2021 it's not that hard same with the acela express train

14. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Acela services aren't there because there isn't an Acela at this time. Don't expect Lake Shore Limited due to the lack of compatible rolling stock.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  15. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

A great deal of the development happens before it hits the beta testers like myself. On the first day that I saw the catenary hit the beta branch (approximately 2 weeks before the first preview photos), I brought it up. By then it was too late so it's waiting till post-release.

I can't speak to other scenery or simulation issues as I simply don't know. Please trust that a majority of these things are caught during beta.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

The NEC route in TSW2020 was built in a different way. None of the assets could be brought over so the ACS-64 is a completely new build, as is the ATC and ACSES system. It definitely won't be free just because you owned an older version of the loco on a different game.
    Also, it isn't as simple as just copying something from TS20xx to TSW. They are completely different builds on different software and aren't compatible. TS20xx has been around in one form or another since 2009 so the tech used for that is fairly old. TSW uses unreal engine developed by Epic.

17. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It’s not that I’m saying, it’s the reversing services (turnarounds) included in the timetable that don’t appear on the screen for selection by the player. It was only noticed by a live stream viewer that they couldn’t be selected to drive from the menu.

• Like Like x 1
  18. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Well that’s a relief but it’s not ideal being unable to see what you are doing. The fact that it doesn’t just do what it’s supposed to and that it isn’t being picked up is what gets me. The UI is very poor and I can tell that before getting the update. Matt knows it is poor as he whizzed past it all very quickly in the stream.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Birita

Birita Well-Known Member

Yeah ...notice that...they are not showing New UI...maybe because is really bugged still?

20. trainsimfan94

trainsimfan94 Member

the current one is better

• Like Like x 2
  21. MLP Derick

MLP Derick Well-Known Member

the Boston Sprinter route won't be free it was said that there will be a discount for Steam, Epic Game Store and Playstation Xbox players won't be getting the discount also it wasn't said how much the discount will be

22. Birita

Birita Well-Known Member

Whats the point in beta testing then? People see the issue and is to late to change before release? This dont make any sense at ALL!

• Like Like x 8
  23. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Just watched at least part of the stream last night again on my gaming TV.

I’m not sure if the traffic jam I pointed out is a traffic jam or trains on a siding. In any case it looks a bit odd to have them nose to tail. Hopefully this is not indicative of a wider timetable issue that might prevent some services being impossible to complete. It’s be interesting to find out what major issue has resulted in one of the Amtrak services being pulled temporarily.

Also, I noticed this time round that TrainSim-Matt mentions something about a station being in the wrong place. It’s not entirely clear what he means by this, whether it relates to Boston Sprinter or another route, or whether I’m just misunderstanding what he said.

The headlights are definitely missing from the cab cars on the MBTA trains, with only the ditch lights lit, so this needs to be rectified along with some investigation around the traffic jam I’ve referenced in the first post of this thread.

Just to reiterate though. This route is shaping up to be a very strong addition to the game. All it really needs now is the Acela. Hint hint hint.

24. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I miss the clear, easy to read, pleasing to the eye fonts used in the TSW2020 UI. Those were the days.

• Like Like x 2
  25. MLP Derick

MLP Derick Well-Known Member

this route is the route for the Acela but until appears on the roadmap it's not happening

26. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Hence my hint hint hint comment.

27. kevin.charb81

kevin.charb81 Well-Known Member

Easily not getting this on release. With every stream the minimum viable product becomes more and more clear. I’ll wait until these issues are addressed.

also, it’s Friday today and you still don’t know for sure when the core update is coming out? How is this being left so late? Who’s managing this project…

28. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Matt... but no doubt with someone's boot hovering above him saying "commercial pressures"...

29. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

On the contrary, I actually really enjoyed last night's preview stream!
    There were plenty of moments when I said "Wow, look at that!" Or "That's really cool!"
    I was thoroughly impressed with many things, especially with the audio and horn sounds which were phenomenal! The scenery looked to me as though it was full of life and properly lived in, with loads of cool new assets. And I was surprised to see that the team had taken the time since last week's stream to fix the headlights issue and give the MBTA coaches some more weathering.

I have to give credit where credit is due. :)

• Like Like x 2
  30. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Matt is the only one who understand the Train Industry very well, but he alone can’t make TSW better.

31. ARuscoe

My hope on the weathering is that the team can do similar to what they do with passenger clothing, ie a variation and randomisation of weathering and dirt effects so the coaches don't all look gleaming or all dirty in the same way...
    A sort of "grime randomisation" if you will

• Like Like x 2
  32. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

From the TSC Discord from yesterday’s Stream CCC892E8-B4A3-42D5-8B61-BD18AB5F59EA.png

• Like Like x 1
  33. ARuscoe

I saw that on stream and wondered whether that was something odd...

34. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

35. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Is DTG aware of the Track issue?
    DTG Natster to mentioned you here if you didn’t know about this bug

36. ARuscoe

It happened a lot during the run round the loop last night