Season Ticket Launch Discount

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Cramnor, Aug 13, 2021.

1. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

In yesterdays stream, Nat announced that the Season Ticket will be offered at a discount on release.
    For those who missed it:

While I appreciate the discount and was positively surprised by this announcement, I have to say that the last weeks and months have been a disaster for DTG (PR wise and quality wise, in my personal opinion), who are putting their foot in it all the time, and this is the icing on the cake right now.
    It is always emphasized that we should be allowed to take an informed decision on our purchases, which I appreciate. But offering a launch discount that will probably not last until the last route is released, but only for a week or two, will force our hand to buy something which we haven't seen yet. We have seen nothing of Dresden-Riesa or London-Brighton, and with what has happened before (I don't want to bring up the branches on Dresden-Riesa, but I'll do it just to remind DTG I am still upset), I really want to see what I potentially buy.
    I do not know how others feel about this, but if you want to provide a launch discount and avoid another PR disaster, this launch discount has to be in place until London-Brighton releases, so that we actually have the chance to take an informed decision on all the content that we buy.

• Like Like x 6
  2. DK12345

DK12345 Active Member

Do you have a timestamp for the relevant section of the video?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

The way I see it is, for those who were planning to purchase blindly, they are being given a slight token of appreciation. For those who were planning to hold out anyway, nothing has been lost. Of course you can dig deeper into this announcement and argue about how this is a slimy marketing move, but again if you were unconvinced to blindly buy the season ticket before, I doubt a 10% (or whatever) launch discount will be enough to sway your decision.

Cheers

• Like Like x 7
  4. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

They really cannot win - firstly they give us a bargain offer of three routes for a very reasonable price.
    Then they give us a further discount on that as a little treat and they are getting criticised for that!

• Like Like x 18
  5. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

While the discount is nice, I will hold out until I see all three routes to make my decision, discount or not.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Is the PlayStation discount subject to having PS Plus?

• Like Like x 1
  7. HaibaraHariko

HaibaraHariko Active Member

You can always wait for later discounts if you feel upset. Just checked SteamDB and TSW2 was like:

(First live stream for SKA 8/6)
    Preorder: 10% (8/6 ~ 8/20)
    (BKL live stream 8/13)
    (Game released 8/20)

Halloween: 15% (10/29 ~ 11/2)
    Thanksgiving: 20% (11/25 ~ 12/8)
    Christmas & New Year: 35% (12/22 ~ 1/5)

(After that it became 50% for most of the sales)

8. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Forgive me if I, wrong, the launch discount is for rush hour collectively, not just NEC

9. FeralKitty

FeralKitty Well-Known Member

While the launch discount is nice and appreciated, I am a bit surprised.

With the London and Dresden routes needing more time to finish, how are the bean counters now ok with us paying less for something that is more expensive for DTG to develop?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cramnor

Should be right there if you start it from the post, it is at 41:45 roughly.

11. Cramnor

Well, yes and no. I appreciate the discount, I just hope it will be there until all of the Rush Hour routes are released, than it is perfectly fine. But if it is only for a week or so, it sends the wrong signal in my opinion and wasn't really thought through until the end.

12. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Why no Discount for Xbox again?

13. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Microsoft control store prices, dont blame DTG

14. FeralKitty

What’s the wrong signal? That people who buy it at launch don’t deserve a launch discount, or that people who buy it months later do?

It’s a launch discount, not a months-long sale.

No customer is being forced to buy it (at a discount) at launch, and DTG shouldn’t be forced to sell it at a discount once you decide to buy it.

• Like Like x 7
  15. FeralKitty

It’s been mentioned on other streams that Microsoft offers fewer opportunities for sales than other platforms.

16. chieflongshin

I think it's until the end of the year. I'm sure Sam mentioned it on last weeks preview.

17. Cramnor

The season ticket, yes, but the launch discount? I doubt it.

18. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

I think this is bad and unfair wording. 2 more or less wrong things in this sentence: Nobody "forces" you to buy something which you "haven't seen". In fact, we already have seen 2 streams (with the last stream being a shipping built - so expect that to be the final product you get on day one) and you're free to buy something or not. And don't forget: You can buy it, test it and ask steam for refund if you don't like it. No problem with that, right?

• Like Like x 5
  19. matinakbary

Yeah, becausse it's a launch discount. What other thing could you expect from a launch discount?

• Like Like x 4
  20. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I'd assume so just to be on the safe side. All launch discounts on Playstation have been for PS Plus users only as far as I can recall.

• Like Like x 2
  21. FeralKitty

Let’s look at the math:
    • Cost of Boston route: $30
    • Cost of season ticket (with likely 10% launch discount): $36
    The London and/or Dresden routes are likely worth $6 (or more), even if a customer isn’t completely happy with one or both of them.

Unless a customer is completely dissatisfied with London and Dresden, $6 for two routes seems like an amazing deal.

• Like Like x 8
  22. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

3 routes for 40€ and I get an additional discount? If I like TSW I don't need to see or think much more.

• Like Like x 9
  23. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I am grateful for the launch discount and I am looking forward to the seaon ticket. If it's not cheap enough, wait for a sale that satisfies your needs.

• Like Like x 3
  24. Alex_m30x#7297

Alex_m30x#7297 Well-Known Member

Why Microsoft, Why
    On another note, is there anyway we could give feedback/complain to Microsoft to improve the sales amount

25. chieflongshin

Any discount is going to be negligible at best. I appreciate money’s money but it’s not a £3000 discount off a car. It’s likely a coffee. Secondly loads of games have unseen season passes. With snowrunner I paid a season pass and waited 9 months to find out it was awful. That said I got my money’s worth. We know the routes so it’s again not a big issue.

vote with your wallet

• Like Like x 1
  26. matinakbary

Sure, but you won't buy a 15k $/€ car. You buy 3 DLC's for a game for like 36 instead of 40 $/€. I think these are two things you cannot compare.

27. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

It's true there will be a discount on release day for PC, PS4/5 sadly no discount on Xbox they were not able to get Microsoft to agree to a discount.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

We’ve just had a wonderful sale with loads of great dlc , just be grateful that RH is only £35 , a very reasonable price

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  29. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

They're giving you one route but you're paying for three, two of which haven't seen the light of day yet.

What happens if those routes never materialise? Not saying they won't, but what if? Company could be going belly up and they're using this to try and get an influx of cash to try and help them out. But it could all fail and bankruptcy beckons.

On the other hand, the two other routes could be absolute perfection and be the best content they've ever produced.

Only time will tell and you pay your money and take your chances.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  30. matinakbary

I fear your maths is a bit wrong...

• Like Like x 2
  31. longo239

How so?

£34.99 for three routes or £24.99 each. Two of the routes won't be released initially, so on release day if you select the £34.99 option, you will have paid for all 3 but only receive 1.

32. matinakbary

Okay here's the calculation:

You take the normal price of a route: 30 Euros.

Rush hour costs: 40 Euros.

Rush Hour = 3 routes

3 (routes) * 30 Euro = 90 Euro.

So the normal price would be 90 Euros. And the magical part: You pay 40 Euros. So save around 56% compared to buying it at normal price.
    And even more magical: With the launch discount it will cost something like 37 Euros or so. So a discount of nearly 60% compared to buying them at the orginal price.

You don't pay for three routes while getting one. You pay for 1,24 routes while getting three routes.

• Like Like x 3
  33. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I think if anyone has any slight intention of buying 2 or more of the routes then the season ticket is of value. Only if you are pretty sure you only ever want one of the three is it not worth buying.

• Like Like x 1
  34. longo239

Very thorough and your calculations may be correct once you have taken possession of all three routes. However, that's not what you are getting on initial release day.

At the time of release you will have purchased 3 routes but will only receive 1. So even by your calculations, you will have still overpaid for the one route you actually receive. Once you get a second route, then financially you're laughing, so to speak.

35. FeralKitty

Do you dislike season passes in general, or is this mostly a DTG complaint?

Unless the world ends before then or the company fails (both unlikely), DTG is going to ship the last two routes.

And for people who want to wait until all three routes are out, DTG has said the season ticket will be available through 2021, so I don’t see anyone being forced to buy it on the 19th if they don’t want to.

• Like Like x 5
  36. longo239

Not a complaint and at no point have I suggested anyone is being forced to buy anything.

On past experience, the sensible option is to wait until all three routes are released so you can see what sort of state they are in, quality wise.

• Like Like x 1
  37. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

It's certainly a reward for those who buy blindly. It's no accident it cuts off the day Boston is released.

It's of no interest for those who take a Missourian "Show Me" attitude. I for one am not going to buy Boston or any other route until it's been released for some days and the community has had an opportunity to play it and weigh in -sorry, matinakbary, but a stream isn't enough. Nor in this case will I be buying either Boston alone or the pass until after Brighton is released, because it makes no sense to pay the bundle price for Boston alone if Brighton turns out to be a dud (zero interest in Dresden; if I do buy the pass to get Brighton I'll delete Dresden).

• Like Like x 2
  38. FeralKitty

What cuts off the day Boston is released? The Season Ticket (and launch discount) isn't even available to purchase yet.

• Like Like x 1
  39. FeralKitty

Then why didn't you make that point, instead of the suggesting that people are overpaying for 3 routes when they only initially get 1 (and that the other 2 haven't seen the light of day).

If "the light of day" means the general public in your mind, then no, the general public hasn't seen them yet. But I would say the other 2 have seen the light of day, as people outside of DTG (outside contractors hired to work on the route, as well as beta testers) have seen one or both of the routes in some form. The other two routes are not vaporware, and suggesting they might never materialize is, well, inaccurate.

It just seems like an opportunity to find fault with peoples' buying decisions, and spread fear or uncertainty over some unlikely possibility that the company may go bankrupt (or that it's some scheme to avoid bankruptcy).

I realize you don't like the game (and don't own it), but surely there should be some moral line against suggesting something about the company that isn't accurate.

• Like Like x 5
  40. kiryupilot#4851

kiryupilot#4851 New Member

This is the BEST comment posted by far. Think I heard the mic drop too!

• Like Like x 1
  41. longo239

How do you know that I don't own the game?

At what point have I criticised anyone's buying decisions?

I'm sure the other routes may have seen "the light of day" amongst employees etc. However, they're not the one's being asked to spend their hard earned money on blind faith.

As for suggesting that the routes may never materialise, it may be improbable, but it's not impossible. There's literally thousands of people who have paid up front for items of all shapes and sizes and companies have gone bankrupt before they have received the goods they have paid for.

42. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Of course not. But suggesting they might turn out to be poor is just a reflection of bitter experience.

• Like Like x 1
  43. matinakbary

Okay good point. But the season ticket will be available even after all three routes are released. So you can wait until all three routes are released and even then get the 56% discount.

44. FeralKitty

Probably when you posted, "Never bothered TSW2 as I wasn't interested in any of the routes they bundled with it, nor did I fall for the "whole new game" selling point."

Perhaps when you posted, "At the time of release you will have purchased 3 routes but will only receive 1. So even by your calculations, you will have still overpaid for the one route you actually receive."

I suspect you don't like the word "criticize," but the notion that someone has "overpaid," and following it up with the comment that "sensible" people wait until all three routes are released. Suggesting that people who preorder aren't as sensible as people who wait, comes across as somewhat critical of their buying decision.

I suspect it's not blind faith, because there are plenty of nay-sayers who point out DTG's apparent shortcomings, inadequacies, and/or failures.

The general notion that DTG continues to pull the wool over customers' eyes seems a bit absurd, because it's based on the premise that everyone should be dissatisfied with the company and its products, when some of us still get enjoyment over playing something imperfect.

• Like Like x 4
  45. longo239

First quote you chose to post was in reply to the question of why I had chosen to uninstall the free copy of TSW 2 from epic.

Second quote is not a criticism of anyone, purely a statement of facts that at the time of purchase you will only receive 1 route despite having paid for all 3 in the bundle.

If you are happy to basically crowd fund the other routes, go ahead, that's your choice and I am in no way criticising that choice.

Personally I won't be.

46. FeralKitty

Yet not everyone has had a bitter experience, and some players might be content with what others can find fault with.

(For the record, I was unhappy that the Dresden branches were removed, but I would rather get past that instead of remaining unhappy. Bitterness, like unhappiness, is a choice, whether we choose to remain bitter, or let things go.)

• Like Like x 5
  47. FeralKitty

Yes. You didn't own the Steam or console version, but you "own" the free version that you choose not to play.

Kudos, you own the Epic version of game you previously decided you didn't like and didn't buy.

Your notion of what represents criticism vs a fact seems, well, selective.

Anyone can say, "I'm not doing this negative thing, I'm not doing that negative thing," and believe it to be true, but you didn't seem to portray those people in the best possible light.

I probably do a million wrong things a day, (a few thousand on this forum), but we should at least be honest about it, instead of needing to subjectively feel we're "right."

(If this thread gets locked, I'd be a guilty party. Perhaps we should shelf our disagreement, for the sake of others here who wouldn't have a chance to post.)

• Like Like x 1
  48. longo239

Because I chose the free version, does that make my opinion any less valid?

I would guess that a million would be an exaggeration. We all believe that our opinions are right, what is important is to accept that others may have different opinions.

• Like Like x 1
  49. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I was really unhappy at this at first, but like all bad news, time helps. I’m still annoyed, but life is too short and I do love playing the game.

• Like Like x 5
  50. FeralKitty

That's a challenging question to answer. I don't think your opinion is less important. But validity? Doesn't that depend on accuracy or factuality? I think we all (consciously or subconsciously) tend to dismiss or disregard opinions we don't believe in (which likely isn't fair because we're probably not actively listening or engaged with the person expressing the opinion).

I don't believe my opinions are necessarily right. First, I have a conscience, and I can know something is wrong, but still do or say it. Second, I think people can be enlightened, and recognize that they still choose to believe a delusion, deception, fallacy, etc.

In general, we prefer to believe that we're good, but we're not as good as we think we are. Truth should be absolute, not relative, yet we tend to see or believe what we want to believe, rather than what we should believe. As human beings, we make a lot of bad choices, including how we think or perceive things.

Whether DTG makes mistakes or not (which we all do because we're human), I would prefer not to see them in a bad light. I would prefer to think and hope and believe the best of/for them. If only it was as easy to envision everyone the same way I prefer to see DTG.

• Like Like x 1