A Truly Rushed Hour

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Monder, Aug 13, 2021.

1. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Well it kind of does... I will stick to talking about me, but if I pay less for something I am more eager to accept imperfections, or less content, as long as it's not as extreme as cutting down a pretty big portion of the route.

If RH would have not been a single 40€ pack I would have probabily skipped all 3 routes, maybe waiting for a sale, (or some fixes) especially BRD.

If NEC was a shorter route, and it was a matter of copy/pasting existing stuff into an already existing piece of track I would have said if there was almost any other corner cutting at all I would have been disappointed. But considering they had to work on the scenery, almost build from scratch ATC/ACSES, do a completely new cab car, modify pretty heavily the F40PH and introducing a new system for dual platform height, and you pay half the price of HHL, I'd be pretty happy to accept the lack of Cruise Control, the fact that the timetable might need some refining and the fact that the centenary is not correct.

Also, 2 of 3 issues I stated above should not be unfeasible to fix post-release, and especially the centenary seems like it's guaranteed to happen.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The 3rd party guy who is doing the Catenary was in the chat of last night's stream on Youtube. Watch it back and you can see the chat

• Like Like x 4
  3. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

If you are wondering the overhead wire poles for NEC New York route are the 1910s-1930s style because they have the 138kv line at the very top the correct overhead contact system poles are Silver 1990s style no H frame PRR Northeast Corridor New York Newark Lattice Style railroad Penn Station to New Rochelle New York former New Haven railroad.

• Like Like x 1
  4. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

The only reason I am inclined to believe that this truly will be done in a timely fashion is because Brandon is doing it, and he seems really passionate about seeing this route come to completion (given that he was laying the track for it in the first place).

• Like Like x 5
  5. ARuscoe

The routes will be available at full price per route from day one... Just because you CAN buy them with the season ticket for less doesn't mean people WILL (for instance I don't play US or DE routes so may buy the ticket just because, but also likely to only buy the BRI route because I do play UK routes)

• Like Like x 3
  6. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I have already talked about that some weeks ago, in my honest opinion, it wouldn't make any sense to buy the routes singularly, especially since I feel BRD will play a major role for all future layering for German routes, the only route I'm interested is NEC, I also get BRD to future proof my german collection, and get BML for free.

Also, paying 75% of the price to get 1/3 of the content doesn't make any sense at all to me.

Also the routes singularly are not worth a full DLC price IMO. If you don't want to get the season pass I'd just wait for a sale, especially for BRD and BML, unless they show completely reworked sounds and physics for the Traxxes or a new cab and sounds for the 387.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

upload_2021-8-13_18-15-49.png
    I had to...

• Like Like x 15
  8. breblimator

breblimator Guest

For me, more important are missing "Maiks", so most of the trains are 75% completed and not at the holy "101" level.
    Etc...
    May you be right, buddy :)

In my opinion, the whole thing looks promising, but there were some mishaps. Again.

• Like Like x 3
  9. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Actually, I am happy with the look of NEC Boston but will welcome fixes to obvious problems such as the catenary (which I wouldn’t have even been aware of if it hadn’t been mentioned on the forums) and some clipping issues.

However, as has previously been mentioned, with the season ticket, we are being asked to purchase three routes, albeit at a lower price than individually, for which we have had no sight of two of them. As Brighton is the one I’m mainly interested in, I’ll won’t be shelling out until I’ve seen some evidence that it is going to be great.

10. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

If you don't like it, don't buy it!

Someone was going to say it eventually, most likely a representative of the publisher going on past experience, so I saved them 30 seconds!

• Like Like x 2
  11. nockwurst

nockwurst Well-Known Member

Flight Sim fixed its problems. DoveTail doesn’t have a great track record for fixing its issues. Still waiting on my missing ocean for Peninsula.

• Like Like x 6
  12. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

No, but the budget does.

13. Daniel Bloch

Daniel Bloch Well-Known Member

Yes, DTG should take its time to finish the rush hour and not release a half done thing and update it later, and buying the season pass? Sure not... pay first and then after all routes are released you have no way to refund them.

header.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  14. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Yeah, I only sent one message. Came 20 minutes late to the stream. It's a damn shame that Matt had so many audio issues. Should play on a PC.

Thanks! I'm doing my best as always!

• Like Like x 8
  15. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Did you saw the track issue on the Stream to be fixed?

16. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

A bit of a nasty stretch of track. I wonder if it would cause a derailment?

17. Birita

Birita Well-Known Member

Judging from the stream It Will not...the train passed as like It was perfect...and they say that physics in this game are amazing...

• Like Like x 1
  18. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Which stretch of tracks?

19. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

This … It was taken on the stream last night. I didn’t notice it personally but the picture can’t be lying.

85F276CF-DEC8-4465-BB19-095A7625A03D.png

• Like Like x 5
  20. ARuscoe

The question was about RELEASING with problems. DTG are also fixing them (see today's patch notes) and I have been having a convo elsewhere about DTG's testing and release issues, but that is a different topic

• Like Like x 1
  21. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Oh... that's not something an engineer wants to see.

22. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I'm sure we're all very confident that Brandon will do an excellent job, just as we have admiration for the work Adam and his team have done. The question is, as always, whether their work will be held up internally, as many bug fixes seem to be. I'd like to think that the patches would go like grease through a goose, but I think it will be a while before we actually see the fixes in the game. There are so many we've been waiting a lifetime for.

On a more positive note, I'm intrigued by the fix for the Banking Com in SPG. There are no details, but could it be the fix we've been waiting for lo these many months? I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned it.

• Like Like x 1
  23. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

The biggest things holding up the catenary fixes are me completing them AND the light bake that needs to happen once they're all in.

As I type this, I just finished the Boston area 100%. That's South Station and the Southampton Street Yard area. So as of right now, the catenary rework is completed from Boston to Readville.

Wait till you see Boston with the new catenary. It breathes a whole new life into the route.

I figured I'd tackle the hardest bits first. The rest of the mainline is easy...just monotonous and time-consuming.

• Like Like x 23
  24. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Are you allowed to throw in a little sneak peek? :D

• Like Like x 2
  25. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Not at this time. I sent some photos to the team yesterday and requested they distribute them as an update for the community.

• Like Like x 7
  26. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Relax. You can show us. Matt is already asleep :D

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  27. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

That's right. While England sleeps, we in the US are enjoying our evening meal. And breblimator never sleeps, apparently. So feel free, they'll never know. :D

• Like Like x 5
  28. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

*cough* :)

• Like Like x 26
  29. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

:o:o:o

• Like Like x 3
  30. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Hahaha. We all know Matt doesn't sleep!

• Like Like x 7
  31. zefreak

zefreak Active Member

On the topic of 'all software has bugs', this is true. However, releasing software that is buggy is less of a big deal if you can work on fixing those bugs immediately - that is how most software is developed these days, games included. Large developers will release games with day 1 patches, and they will often be supported over the following weeks. The issue with DTG releasing routes / locos with known bugs is that they often dont get fixed in a timely manner - waiting for months or worse for an initial pass at bug fixes, and then hearing that there are known bugs that will not be fixed until 6 months or a year in the future when that DLC is scheduled for another pass feels like the developer not holding up their end of the bargain.

I do sympathize with the team and don't want to pile on unnecessary, I understand the budget issues and limitations with a relatively small player base compared to many games, this is why I'm willing to pay prices for DLC that most non-sim gamers find scandalous. However, when I pay 30 dollars for a single DLC, I expect it to be finished or at least receive active support to fix known issues in a timely manner.

• Like Like x 5
  32. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

Secondary *cough*

• Like Like x 14
  33. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Evil never sleeps \o/

On the subject of 'complaints': I just played CC, doing "depot runs". They are very atmospheric. A deep immersion. It would be good if these Amtrak maneuvers were included in the Timetable. Glasgow looks wonderful at dawn. We'll see how Boston does.

• Like Like x 1
  34. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

^This. The most important thing that we do in this game is driving the train. I wonder how they allowed this to happen.

• Like Like x 5
  35. zefreak

zefreak Active Member

Yes, features that actually impact gameplay should be first priority, followed by immersive features like the door functionality (which is cool, but I would prefer the cruise control)

• Like Like x 3
  36. schorni

schorni Well-Known Member

Or errors that are not fixed at all.
    Some things that I reported last year and were confirmed by support do not appear in the patch notes. Things that prevent you from playing through tasks. It is not understandable to me why such things are not fixed.

• Like Like x 2
  37. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

YOU CAN NOT BUY rush hour

• Like Like x 1
  38. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I see it as three routes for about a tenner each that will give months of gameplay.

Personally after dodging all the rivet routes I’m quite excited by this. I thought the sounds were a lot better, route a lot busier and I’m interested in the trains. I’m far more casual (only 500hrs in) compared to those that inhale every square cm of a route for accuracy but I think it’s a good deal.

I DO agree that there needs to be that ongoing support to ensure no clipping as I saw a tree go through cab on stream (does on clinchfield too)

Where’s the line however between getting three routes for a tenner each and others wanting perfection for free. I’d much rather pick this up than some of the other things..

Iow -awful sea, still broke I I understand with no fix. I didn’t buy
    Arosa- awful distant scenery, not sorted. I didn’t t buy
    Cathcart - this nearly got my wallet vote until I saw how quiet and short it is
    Hamburg - I got burnt on this a-b route but I’m persevering
    Clinchfield- night missions I can see the same playing in a blindfold with microphone off but the branches have finally won me over.
    Cane creek - zzzz ,I didnt buy.

So… whilst I think there’s been some questions for me personally on old routes I see it like this.

Boston looks more alive than any route we’ve had so I’m intrigued.
    Dresden - I don’t know enough about branches to know what I’m missing, I just hope there’s one different German train if I’m on an a-b
    Brighton - I hope it’s busy and I hope a class 700 appears and London skyline is good.

So for £30 I’m in on this round

• Like Like x 3
  39. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

The game is so much sweeter when you don’t read the forums.
    All those details I would have missed now keep me awake at nights as I compose outraged emails to Adam in my head…

I’m sure he’s already patched everything, but management won’t let him release them.
    Can just see him hunkered in his mancave bring out each patch, fondly polishing it and then putting it back in the box.

• Like Like x 7
  40. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I am not sure I have seen a single route in TSW where clipping trees were a problem get a fix for that.

• Like Like x 2
  41. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

I think he is, because as to my knowledge klimi15 is a german second party developer for Dresden-Riesa. And a very talented one!

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  42. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

With all this mess, I'm patiently waiting for Simrail 2021 demo...

• Like Like x 7
  43. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Not happening; DTG are unable to get a license for it, and probably never will.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  44. ARuscoe

Well I would wait on Great British Railways for this... It's likely the current licensing situation is going to change. Not holding my breath but we shall see

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  45. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

This is not surprising because on foot passengers can ghost through trains as well,because trains are not allowed to collided with anything but each other.

46. ARuscoe

Not sure on this... I've done an on foot walk from Ebbsfleet through the Thames Tunnel and about 2/3 of the way through got hit by a train. Admittedly it didn't result in an "incident", but I ended up stood in the train itself rather than it ghosting through me

Maybe works differently on other routes

47. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I’ve ended up being sucked into a train when I too had an on foot incident

48. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Why do you say that? I have not seen anything to indicate that's the case. Thameslink should not be problematical, since Govia have already licensed Southern and Gatwick Express.

Nor, to the best of my knowledge, is the 700 as a train trademarked the way Hitachi have trademarked the 800 series. Siemens don't operate that way.

• Like Like x 1
  49. ARuscoe

There's a third party company (part owned by Siemens) in the way and it may be the banks or other interested parties blocking any IP agreement.
    That there is NO 700 officially produced in any game to my knowledge says to me that someone's put a block somewhere

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  50. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Exactly what I was going to say. I'd expect the fact it was a DfT specification, with a DfT livery and ordered by the DfT itself was the main cause, but I could be wrong.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1