Rumour Of Ska And Bkl Not Getting The Rush Hour Upgrades

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by kevin.charb81, Aug 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevin.charb81

kevin.charb81 Well-Known Member

Someone mentioned that passengers would only be getting the character motions, and not the rush hour upgrade as planned on release. Is this true?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Did you mean "on day of launch of the Boston Route"?

3. kevin.charb81

kevin.charb81 Well-Known Member

Yes, sorry. I've edited my post to reflect this.

• Like Like x 1
  4. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

There was never an "as planned." DTG have been clear from the start that ONLY the new routes will have the full Rush Hour passenger system, at least at first. Older routes will have to be upgraded individually by Adam's team.

5. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

See this from the FAQ on the Dovetail Live website:

Screenshot (462).png

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. solicitr

Hmmm. I stand corrected.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

That information on the FAQ's is incorrect and will need to be updated.
    I have checked with the preservation crew and I can 100% confirm that SKA and BKL will not be receiving the extensive passenger update that includes new outfits, increased density and passenger dioramas. They will get the updated walking animations.

• Helpful Helpful x 4
  8. Birita

Birita Well-Known Member

Yes It is...

9. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

Typical

• Like Like x 5
  10. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

How much Passenger are on this Route 200 at Launch?

11. solicitr

On Boston, 100 on PS4, 200 on PS5

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. Birita

Birita Well-Known Member

Because of the Rushed DLC...

• Like Like x 3
  13. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

I have ask for the other routes with is not Boston, they didn’t talk about it.

14. ARuscoe

Doubt it has anything to do with the Boston Route as passenger numbers have been shown working. Most likely they didn't finish it properly on Boston in time for the preserved crew to apply it to the other routes
    Still DTG's issue as they determine timescales (I think) and hardly ever hit them properly

• Like Like x 1
  15. Birita

Birita Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  16. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Posted elsewhere, re-posted here since it's just as actively discussed here:

I gotta hold my hand up to this one i'm afraid, I dropped the ball on this bit. I could talk about why this probably got missed, but ultimately it really doesn't matter, we didn't meet expectations or promises and that's bad and on me.

We'll get it sorted, it's always been the plan to do the upgrade for the Koln and Bakerloo routes, and will continue to be so, just not in the timeframe we'd originally said. We'll let you know asap once we have confirmed it's done.

Matt.

• Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  17. Birita

Birita Well-Known Member

Matt, we know that its not your fault and we know that the plan was to release with core upgrade...but the guys in suits need to CHILL a bit more and let you and your team do the job that everybody was viewing with you guys...the ideal world just dont exist...but the community needs to trust aswell...without it...well things just get complicated...i hope that they learn from this... cheers!

• Like Like x 4
  18. schorni

schorni Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, since we see it over and over again and nothing has changed so far, I wouldn't bet on it. Someone says when the product has to be released and they don't care in which state. Whether it is finished or not, whether announced things are missing or not.
    Honestly, I have no hope that something will change.

• Like Like x 2
  19. appledates#4945

appledates#4945 Well-Known Member

What do you suggest to fix this? Should they delay the Boston route and the update indefinitely until they have the new passengers added to Bakerloo and Koln? I personally would rather get the update and route on the 19th and have those come when they are ready as those two routes having rush hour functionality was not even on my radar with all of the other improvements that are coming out.
    They could have “rushed” to get the new passenger systems in bakerloo and Koln and have us be unhappy with it or we can wait and get an update to those routes that is more up to your standards.
    We have to accept that sometimes things aren’t always going to go 100% as it was planned, and as long as it is communicated I don’t see a big issue.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  20. schorni

schorni Well-Known Member

Quite simple. Don't announce anything you can't manage. You raise expectations that are then not fulfilled and leave disappointed customers behind. Or variant 2, you bring the things out as you have announced them and postpone it until it is ready. See Dresden Riesa, which is shortened for time reasons and you now have many disappointed people.

In general, you should only bring things out when they are ready. Don't take the money from the customer first and finish everything later, if at all. This is more Ealy Acccess what DTG is doing with the DLC releases.

• Like Like x 5
  21. trainsimgaming1001

trainsimgaming1001 Well-Known Member

Your 100% Right

I would have rathered Dresden to Riesa be delayed a few weeks/month rather than the route being cut. Now, its just like any other German Route. The high amount of Branch Lines would have been an Amazing Selling Point. The only other route where we have that many branches is Long Island Rail Road. And think of it, they were able to get all the Branches in that that were promised without some of the route being cut. Why cant Dresdan to Riesa be the same? Dovetail would have been better off delaying Riesa - Dresdan than cutting down the route.

• Like Like x 3
  22. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

They don't seem to learn, didn't we just go over the same thing a month ago? As I said then you can't trust anything on the FAQ or what is said in the streams, which is why I don't watch the streams anymore or read the articles.

And wow so much for earning your trust back and again goes to show even if its in writing nothing is ever guaranteed or 100% confirmed until you see it released.

Hopefully next year they don't even bother because this annual release has been nothing buy a giant tease with misinformation given all over the place.

Not lies just empty promises.

• Like Like x 5
  23. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

DTG:" We learned from this mistake"
    Also DTG: "Let's repeat the same mistake"

• Like Like x 3
  24. ARuscoe

The second part of this sentence should be put on the front page of every forum and stuck there...

NOTHING is ever guaranteed or 100% confirmed until you see it
    Good life lesson right there

25. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

I’ve only been a player of TSW2 for a few short months and whilst mostly I can just go with the flow on things I do think DTG’s policy of taking customers money before a dlc is properly finished and bug free is pretty bad practice. As for promising things via streams and information via emails. I neither watch the streams or read the information bulletins. I don’t trust what DTG initially release and I don’t trust what they say they are actually going to do and that’s coming from a pretty new player to this game.

How many players come to TSW and then think sod it I’ll just go and spend my money somewhere else or at the very least they wait until a route has been actually released and has dropped to a very low price after a suitable length of time so they don’t feel ripped off

Message to DTG. Release and sell your dlc’s property finished and don’t leak information that you cannot deliver on. Basic business practice lesson. Quality and trust is everything especially considering the full price of these dlc’s which imho are seriously expensive.

Finally if PS4 is to continue to be supported which it should be if they don’t want to lose the majority of their hard won customers who can’t afford, can’t find, or quite simply don’t want a PS5 then surely dlc’s for PS4 should be cheaper especially if a PS4 player isn’t getting what a PS5 player is. I’m not paying the same money as a PS5 player if I’m only getting half the number of increased passengers for example.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  26. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Yet you have been paying the same money as PC players who had 5 times the number of passengers as PS4. Of course, you can choose what to spend your money on and what's worth your money - none of that is my business, but this argument seems rather inconsistent to me.

• Like Like x 1
  27. ARuscoe

Really? So Microsoft, Apple, Google, Samsung, Oracle and IBM have got it wrong these last 30 years? There are bugs in Windows that go back to MS-DOS...
    Software gets released and then they find out it kills machines or removes data. Fact of life. Doesn't detract from DTG's incessant "Hey we're going to give you this, that, this other thing and a bit more" and then they only do the first two...

And with regards to the PS4/PS5 thing, if it costs the same to develop and the issue is with your hardware capabilities rather than the game's capabilities why should DTG be penalised?

• Like Like x 3
  28. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Passenger numbers are a core improvement unrelated to the content of DLC. The numbers are tailored to the capabilities of the machine not the content of the DLC you are buying. The DLC price should and will remain the same for everyone.

• Like Like x 1
  29. shhweeet#4292

Couldn’t care less about PC players. PC gaming is a different market and it’s generally accepted PC’s are more powerful than consoles. I chose the console market so I can live with getting less than a PC player. Yes what I get is limited by my PS4 hardware I accept that, but if I’m not getting the same as a PS5 owner in the console market then I’m not going to pay the same full price on release as a PS5 owner. I’ll just wait until I get that particular route really cheap in a sale, not at all, or move onto something else entirely. As you say it’s my choice. Surely though your not trying to tell me they don’t have the technology whereby when downloading a dlc and the PS Store detects your downloading to a PS4 it chargers you something like a fiver less? Yes it’s expensive to develop routes for both PS4 and PS5 but the advantage for DTG in making older console dlcs a bit cheaper is they are going to keep those customers rather than lose their revenue entirely. As for expecting dlc’s to be 100% fully developed no matter how long it takes DTG to ensure that happens, well quality = great reputation and thus any threat from the likes of Sim Rail is a none starter. Of course if PS4 owners as a majority are happy to pay the same as a PS5 owner for less! that’s their! choice. but I’m personally not in the business of subsidising other people better hardware than mine. I work hard for my money so expect proper value when I spend it which means if I’m getting less then I expect to pay a little bit less. That’s business folks!

• Like Like x 3
  30. ARuscoe

To this I would say "bye then"...

They don't develop different routes for PS4 and PS5, in fact I would imagine they develop the fully qualified and full featured route and then have to work to cut back the PS4 side to work on aging technology, so in fact you should be paying MORE than PS5 players because DTG are having to work harder to ensure the game doesn't kill your machine
    In other words your answer doesn't reflect how development actually works

• Like Like x 1
  31. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

You are getting the exact same DLC. There is no need to apply technology to differentiate what console you have.

You are not doing that. PS5 owners paid for their own PS5 and that gets them better graphics, frame rates and some more passengers. You are still getting the same DLC as them as far as everything else goes (apart from layers on one route). Nobody is being subsidised.

32. shhweeet#4292

Well yeah it would be bye then wouldn’t it. Better hope the majority of PS4 players don’t just bugger off then if in future they are getting less and less than a PS5 player gets. Without PS4 player revenue to recoup DTG development costs your future PS5 dlc prices will have to rise. This will only change when PS5 becomes easily obtainable, much cheaper to buy and the majority of players have them which will not be for quite a while yet me thinks.

• Like Like x 2
  33. shhweeet#4292

I’m not getting exactly the same dlc at all. In the case of passenger numbers for example I’m getting less, half the number apparently. So why should I pay the same price for less? Of course PS4 players are paying towards dlc development costs so long as they are in the majority. Once PS5 becomes the majority your argument stands until then no way should PS4 owner be paying the same as those who are lucky enough or rich enough to own a PS5 and thus enjoying its benefits. This isn’t jealousy btw just basic commerce. Of course the likes of DTG are! relying on those passionate rail fans and passionate fans of TSW2 who will stand for, and buy anything which is why they are charging the same price for both versions of Play Station and releasing and taking the money for not fully developed dlc’s. So if you or anyone else falls into that category then if your a moaner about inferior quality, accuracy, prices, false information, etc ( Not aimed at you personally btw ) then pack it in because you all deserve what you get. At least I tell it as it is.

In the meantime I’ll just go with the flow, enjoy TSW2 for what it is, enjoy what routes I already own, and make sure I don’t pay over the odds for any future inferior dlc with regards to quality and what my trusty PS4 hardware allows me to have and if PS5 doesn’t become cheaper and more readily available sooner rather than later and I’m becoming more disadvantaged as a PS4 player with regards to future very expensive released dlc’s then yep! it would be bye bye nice to have gotten to know you all and Sim Rail or similar here I come! Or maybe something else entirely. :)

• Like Like x 3
  34. ARuscoe

More likely people who have PS4s will realise that it's up to them which hardware they purchase and maintain and development costs are incurred whether you're using the newest or oldest hardware.
    This isn't a case of a game being designed for either console, the game is designed to run on UE and then the levels and metrics tweaked for each platform (or in the case of PC levels can be tweaked by the user for their own platform) so you ARE getting the same software and you could (if Sony allowed) change your settings and get the full fledged experience. Unfortunately it would flatten your machine, causing crashes and reboots and maybe even corruption (which no doubt you would blame on DTG)

35. shhweeet#4292

You talk as if PS5 are easily obtainable and cheap? Newsflash! current prices for PS5 are beyond a lot of people’s priority spending that’s assuming you can find the dam things without being fleeced.

No I wouldn’t blame DTG at all. It’s quite simple I can put up with less on my PS4 if it means the game runs ok but I’m just not prepared to pay the same as others who have more. Which I personally think is fair enough.

• Like Like x 3
  36. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The difference in numbers of passengers makes no difference to the game. PS4 players have been playing relatively passenger free for ages with no issues. I’ll say it again, you are getting no less content. The trains and routes are the same so you pay the same. There are some exceptions and there might be more in the future but for now, PS4 players will not have to look at quite as many badly animated clones (now with different tank tops) as PS5 players do. It could be a blessing.

• Like Like x 2
  37. ARuscoe

Don't think I mentioned cost of hardware or availability at all. Neither have you tbh
    I have spoken about development costs and how it likely costs DTG MORE in dev costs to make up to date software work on almost out of date hardware, but you haven't acknowledged or denied that...

38. shhweeet#4292

haha maybe :D

But the principle still stands. In the case of passenger numbers which we are using as an example PS4 players are getting less, the stations and environment won’t look as busy thus immersion won’t be as good as a PS5 which is fair enough but it’s not unreasonable to expect a PS4 player who hasn’t got as good a hardware package to pay a little bit less on a newly released full price dlc in order to reflect that.

You buy a Ford Fiesta so would you expect to pay the same price for a trim level thats below the one above? Both purchases go towards Ford recovering it’s development costs and both purchases are someone buying a Ford Fiesta.

• Like Like x 2
  39. shhweeet#4292

It’s not up to them which hardware they purchase if they can’t find one or afford one. Sheeesh! So yeah it reads like you think PS5’s are easily currently affordable or obtainable??? So until I can get one or afford one I’m perfectly happy to play TSW2 on my PS4 with it’s limitations and support DTG along the way but I’m not prepared to pay the same price as those who are getting a better experience. This really isn’t hard for you to understand is it?

• Like Like x 3
  40. ARuscoe

Ah, the old "I can't get the new one so it's someone else's fault I bought the old one" argument...
    Your point was that DTG should sell DLC at a cheaper price because they have to tune the game down to meet your hardware's spec. That the newer version isn't as available as it could be isn't DTG's fault (nor yours) so maybe you need to go and hit Sony up

41. ARuscoe

Not a direct comparison. The proper comparrison would be whether you expect a Ford Fiesta made in 2013 to be as fast and powerful as one built in 2021, and pay the same for servicing, petrol etc...
    If you buy a 2013 fiesta now you would expect to pay a fraction of the purchase cost of a new one, that it will be slower and less efficient and maybe have stained seats... Servicing and petrol cost the same for both cars...

42. shhweeet#4292

Where did I say it’s someone else’s fault that I haven’t got a PS5? Don’t put words in my mouth coz that’s just plain rude. I bought a PS4 so what! You sound like the typical rich kid who’s totally divorced from the realities of some peoples life. FYI I probably could afford one I just don’t want one at the current prices they are charging for the very few that do become available. Also where am I blaming DTG for what I have? I haven’t so again that just plain rude. I currently have a PS4 again so what just don’t expect me to pay the same as you with your PS5 when I’m not getting the same experience as you. Yes they should sell dlc’s for a cheaper price for PS4 owners It’s a basic value for money argument pal. I’m not here to subsidise your superior experience!

• Like Like x 1
  43. shhweeet#4292

So a newly released dlc is released but they are charging the same price for both versions of PS. Is that dlc not a brand new route then ??????

44. ARuscoe

And yet you do it...
    Nope, I talk as someone who's old enough to know that the old doesn't work as well as the new, but that doesn't mean the old costs any less in many things
    In saying they should charge you less because your machine is less capable
    They lose because of your choices (or lack of them)
    Why not? It costs more to develop for your platform...
    You're not. You're paying for the work undertaken by DTG to create a software package. The end experience is one value basis, but not the whole value basis.

45. ARuscoe

Wrong argument again.
    The DLC would be the equivalent of servicing or fuel, as in additions...
    The basic hardware is the question here. Your hardware is less capable so you're balking at paying as much "to feed it" as those who have newer, more capable hardware even though it costs more to make the basic engine work in the first place

46. ARuscoe

In fact... direct comparrison... The UK has recently moved from E5 petrol to E10, meaning there's more ethanol in the fuel than before... E10 will possibly not work in cars over a decade old, and it will become increasingly hard to get fuel from the pumps that WILL work in those older, less efficient and slower cars.
    Should ASDA sell it's petrol for less to those car owners because their cars are no longer capable of working with the new fuel without changes (additives)?

47. shhweeet#4292

So basically what your saying is PS4 is so old DTG should stop supporting it then? Fair enough. Good luck with your future PS5 dlc prices which at this current moment in time will inevitably have to rise. :D

• Like Like x 2
  48. shhweeet#4292

Let me try and put it in simple terms for you once again. A new dlc is released for both PS4 and PS5 but the PS4 player isn’t getting anywhere near what a PS5 player has as an experience so you think it’s perfectly ok for that PS4 player to subsidise you?? Not on my watch as such my personal choice is I won’t pay it.

• Like Like x 3
  49. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

If I thought like that I’d be fuming at how much I’ve been subsidising pc players for all this time.
    But I’m so glad I don’t have to worry about whether each corner of my machine will support TSW or not and that it cost a fraction of the price and works from the get go.

To return to topic, I’m wondering how far the rush hour updated passengers needs to be retro-fitted into previous dlc. Do you think for example, wsr, might look a bit odd with too many people? Although I think it would be good to have the variations in clothing.

• Like Like x 1
  50. ARuscoe

Nope. I am more than happy that DTG make the game as widely available as possible as the more train nerds there out there the more normal us people who've been doing it for years (generally with idle ridicule aimed at us) will seem
    And of course I am more than happy that every person on the planet who loves trains, loves looking at, hearing or following trains can get to experience even a bit of what it's like to drive them

What I am saying is that if it costs the same to develop the game on each platform (which it does) or slightly more to tweak the game to work on certain platforms (like the older consoles, older PCs etc which need settings turned down so it doesn't flatten them) then that measure of value counts as much (if not more) than the experience value you get

You argument is that older machines (which are inherently less powerful) mean that DLCS have lower value and should therefore cost less, but I find that argument spurious. Just about everything else you say sounds like it comes from frustration rather than being based on actuality

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.