When Will The Upgrade For Next Gen Come Out?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Boda09, Aug 13, 2021.

1. Boda09

Boda09 Member

Will the PS5 version come online with the update on the 17th or on the 19th with rush hour first route?

• Like Like x 3
  2. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’m eager to know this too. I’m hoping the 17th but nothing has been announced - which is unusual given how close we are to Boston Sprinter coming out.

• Like Like x 2
  3. TheTipsyRaccoon

TheTipsyRaccoon Well-Known Member

No idea what they gain by keeping this a secret, hopefully we’ll get an answer here. Also it’d be good to get it downloaded and installed in advance so it’s just the new route to download on the 19th.

• Like Like x 2
  4. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Almost sure it was mentioned in last weeks stream that it would be 17th along with the core update.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Scotrail156467

Scotrail156467 Well-Known Member

It's on schedule for the 17th for the core update

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Pushsquare has an article on the Rush Hour release and PS5 release date for TSW2.
    According to their article, the upgraded version will release alongside Boston-Providence on 19th August (Thursday).

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Boda09

Boda09 Member

yes i found it too
    Screenshot_20210817-010545.png

8. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

Thats for Rush hour the next gen update will be released with the core update on the 17th. They are both 2 different things.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

If you actually read the article, it clearly states the next gen version will release the same day as Rush Hour.
    It appears as if the core update and RH are coming the same day rather than as an update and then route release.

• Like Like x 1
  10. bakedpotatos.jm

But that is not what Sam said on todays stream. He said it should be out tomorrow. And Rush Hour on Thursday. And they also said it twice last week on streams as well.

11. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

It has become very confused, and there has been unclear messaging on the streams. At least we can count on it being this week.

• Like Like x 2
  12. whiteleyaj

whiteleyaj Active Member

Has any update for anything come out today? my ps5 says upto date when requesting check for updates. thought atleast core and preserve updates were updating from midnight.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Xander1986

Xander1986 Well-Known Member

The whole thing is the PS5 has no release official yet.... The core update today is in my opinion for the older supported systems like PC and earlier console versions. So that make sense that I believe the official next gen consoles will be supported from Thursday on... But that's not officially confirmed.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. Stephen Crofts

It would have helped if core and ps5 would come together. Updating how many GB of data twice isn't something I want to do.
    I might just lock out the internet until Thursday to avoid such a thing.

• Like Like x 2
  15. bakedpotatos.jm

Usually the updates come out Tuesday afternoon, DLC is released at midnight.

And as per todays stream and last Tuesday and Thursday. The next gen is coming out with the core update. Updates on the Tuesdays are usually released at 4-5pm UK time. When new routes or locos come out it is at 12:00 am Thursday local time.

It has been this way since TSW2020 came out. They are not going to change it up after 2 years of exactly the same way they release everything.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  16. whiteleyaj

whiteleyaj Active Member

Thanks i Didn't know about the different timings for different updates. Thanks for the clarification.

• Like Like x 1
  17. bakedpotatos.jm

No problem they do make it so confusing though.

• Like Like x 2
  18. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Let's clear up some of this confusion.

Today will be core update - This will happen across all platforms at the same time, and it will bring all platforms up to Unreal Engine 4.26.
    The core update will include all of those updates mentioned in the patch notes, and some of the new features we've been talking about over the past few weeks. Passenger animations, pause screen and more controller options for console etc...

This is a very large update today, so settle in for a sizeable download.

On Thursday - That will be the Rush Hour update only, where you can get access to Boston Sprinter if you want it.

• Like Like x 6
  19. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Does the PS5 version of the game come with the core update today, or on Thursday? There is no PS5 version on the PSN Store and I believe you have to download the PS5 version separately to the PS4 version.

Oh god I’ve gone cross eyed.

20. DTG Natster

Any PS5 versions should appear on Thursday.

• Like Like x 4
  21. A Big Chungus

A Big Chungus Active Member

So core engine update today, and the game will then be updated for the Series X and PS5 on Thursday?

22. porawit

porawit Member

What time did you update?

23. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

What I plan to do is uninstall the ps4 version and not download anything until I see the PS5 version in the store, which seems to be on Thursday. Because in theory that version will already be EU 4.26 and will include all the updates of the patch notes.
    And on Thursday I'll also download the Rush Hour and Boston Sprinter updates.
    The only doubt I have is if the rest of the DLC we own will have their own ps5 version or will be the same as ps4.

• Like Like x 2
  24. TheTipsyRaccoon

Not ‘updated’, it’ll be a separate game for the next gen consoles.

25. kobo

kobo Active Member

will there be something on consoles where we can see the differences in controller layout?

26. Xander1986

Xander1986 Well-Known Member

Okay that's a hard lesson... Do not say things where you have know clue. Spreading false information with no source is tricky and you see why... In that case I was more aware off this and after all I have Right...

27. DTG Natster

To update any content you already own from the PS4 version to the PS5 version, this will require you manually select to update it. This will result in another download. This option will be available from Thursday.

28. A Big Chungus

Yes but the Xbox version should Update/Upgrade to the Series X version correct, today or Thursday? Seeing a lot of conflicting information.

29. TinTin_57

For Playstation owners, Sam commented on last nights stream that Matt will comment tonight on what is happening with the Playstation progress/saves between the PS4 and PS5 versions

• Like Like x 2
  30. Yoinkermcskoinker

Yoinkermcskoinker Well-Known Member

Well no because the new consoles have been running the last gen version of the game and they are getting their own version, it is still the same game.
    41A1F357-81E0-4DB3-A809-FBDE4FA17B91.jpeg

31. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I must say that at no time have I seen or heard anyone say specifically that new dedicated versions for the new consoles would come with the update today. As the release date for Rush Hour and new dedicated next gen versions is Thursday I didn’t see how it could update to those versions before the release date. Anyway, it’s confirmed now, updates are for the current versions only. It does mean downloading twice if currently running the PS4 version on a PS5 so uninstalling the PS4 version would be a good idea if you only want one set of downloads and can live without TSW2 for a couple of days (the horror). I’ve left my new PS5 in its box to avoid this. If I had installed TSW2 when I got it, I would have ended up downloading it all three times. Once before the update, again for the update, and yet again for the PS5 version. That didn’t really appeal to me much, so I didn’t unpack the beast.

• Like Like x 1
  32. Stephen Crofts

Got mine around the same time as you stujoy. Couldn't resist installing straight away. You'll enjoy the difference.
    I'll be unplugging mine tonight to avoid double downloads after backing up the profile file (and liveries in case they ever could come across).

• Like Like x 1
  33. TheTipsyRaccoon

Yes, but it is not ‘an update’ to your current game, it’s a new version you have to download separately. You’ll then own the PS4 and PS5 copies separately on the same machine. It’s an upgrade.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  34. philwest#7393

philwest#7393 Member

So can I get this straight.
    I don’t need to download today’s update for my PS5 as it will be included with the updated version of TSW2 on Thursday
    I should backup my TSW2 profile (just in case) before the PS5 version comes out on Thursday.
    It would be best to delete the PS4 version before Thursdays update so that I only have the one copy.
    On Thursday I can download the PS5 version of TSW2 and then download Rush Hour.
    I am just trying to clarify the best policy for updating TSW2 on my PS5.
    For PS4’s, I assume update today and then continue enjoying TSW2.

• Like Like x 1
  35. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

Phew! All this confusion makes me kinda glad I’m still a PS4 Pauper. ;):D So just to be clear the core new unreal engine update for PS4 users is today sometime? I’m not at home so can’t switch my PS4 on yet to see.

• Like Like x 2
  36. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

I did want to install tsw2 because I wanted to check the differences compared to playing it on ps4. And the difference is huge. It loads much faster, the DTG logo and the intro video doesn't get stuck and you don't have to hit "any button" 20 times to advance. Just once is enough! I found the fluidity incredible.
    Then the routes run much smoother. HMA and CCL without a single slowdown. It is also very noticeable with the TGV at high speed.
    Wow, I say this because if this is like this in the ps4 version I can't imagine how we are going to enjoy TSW with the new next gen version. Surely PC gamers used to honey would have a hard time understanding this hope.

• Like Like x 1
  37. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

That’s how I understand it but tbh I’m as confused as everyone else seems to be

• Like Like x 1
  38. kevin.charb81

kevin.charb81 Well-Known Member

Assuming download size is no issue, is there any downside to a PS5 downloading the PS4-version core update today to check it out, and deleting the PS4 version come Thursday's next-gen release?

39. TinTin_57

Yeah I will download my PS4 version core update today, then space permitting also download the PS5 version on Thursday.
    I'm not deleting anything yet ;-)

• Like Like x 2
  40. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

If today I can update the ps4 version that I have installed the ps5 I will do it, to check the news until Thursday.
    But what I have clear is that I will uninstall the ps4 version and the saved data before installing the ps5 version because I don't see any advantage to have both versions, especially for the small capacity of the hard disk.
    And I'll start all over again from scratch, scenarios, activities, etc. That way I'll have an excuse to enjoy every single route again, with all the next gen advantages.

• Like Like x 1
  41. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  42. ARuscoe

Update from Nat...

Today is not a new generation update. Any updates being made today are for Ps4/Xbox one. All updates for today can be found in the patch notes.

Next generation becomes available on Thursday.

On Playstation you will have to manually select to upgrade from PS4 to PS5
    How to trigger the upgrade from Xbox one to Xbox series X is still being looked into - it might be automatic, it might be something you have to manually select. I will clarify when I get a clear answer.

When you upgrade from PS4/Xbox one to PS5/Xbox series X this will trigger a second download.

• Like Like x 2
  43. Yoinkermcskoinker

Why does this matter anyway!?

And we should stop, we aren’t even adding anything to the discussion

44. ARuscoe

It matters a bit, if you have two versions with two save games (and taking double the hard disk space) so as a clarification it does help

• Like Like x 1
  45. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

im still confused on what to do. i run the PS 4 version on my PS 5
    so what do i have to do.

i wish DTG put what need doing in black and white in print on here instead of saying it in the streams as thats more confusing more than ever.
    i dont want to lose everything i have done so far like we had to do all the routes again when we went to TSW 2

46. TheTipsyRaccoon

You’re out here defining the word ‘update’ for me and splitting hairs, I was just clarifying something that may have been a cause for confusion.

47. ARuscoe

TODAY - nothing, your PS5 will download the core update and all existing DLC automatically
    So by the end of today you will have the UE4.26 game and all relevant DLC to the same standard as you do NOW (before the update)

Then on THURSDAY you should note that you also have the option to update (upgrade, whatever) your DLC versions to the PS5 versions, so select the PS5 versions and your console will download them

• Like Like x 1
  48. Yoinkermcskoinker

Ironic how you’re calling me out for it but you were the one doing it in the first place

49. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

So the DLC will also have its own ps5 version?

50. A Big Chungus

Now now, enough arguing

• Like Like x 1