Core Update For Xb1, X1x And Series X|s

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by pinxtonpaws, Aug 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

And once again anyone watching the streams would think that the update was coming today.

No more streams for me from now on all release info I get will be from the Xbox game store. Way to go, you have mislead a whole bunch of people by even mentioning Tuesday on the streams for the update.

So if they do what they do usually with updates we will be able to by Rush Hour at midnight but the next gen update won't be until later in the afternoon on Thursdays as updates and patches are usually not handed in until 4-5pm UK time as per Sam on the stream yesterday.

What am I thinking I said Stream and well we can't trust what they say on those so nevermind.

They are going to do whatever, and well I have never had such hate for a game as I do for this one now.

So enjoy your updates and your trains but I'm tapping out and uninstalling. You have caused me to dislike the one hobby I had.

Oh and by the way the FAQ still shows we are getting Rush Hour passengers for SKA and BKL at launch.

Screenshot_20210817-081651_Chrome.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  2. Xander1986

Xander1986 Well-Known Member

Yes indead... a stream before... "we don't share information anymore what we can't directly confirmd or 100% sure"... How fast can you broke this answer...

• Like Like x 1
  3. mattchester#9176

mattchester#9176 Well-Known Member

To be fair, on the last two streams I watched including Sam's last night, the answer was "The plan is for the update to come out on Tuesday but things can change". Obviously not ideal but I don't think think they've mislead anybody here.

4. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

So do you have to have the PS4 version installed to get the PS5 version?

5. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Guest

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I thought the TSW upgrade was a dedicated release for Series X|S and not via back compat (smart delivery). Hence two separate versions of the same game....and separate versions of future DLC's

All smart delivery does is add assets to the original game instead of being specifically developed for the new consoles, occasionally with a £5 price hike for your troubles if you buy the current gen specific release - as I found out when purchasing a physical X|S version (with the little black logo on the box) of MotoGP 21.. Bah humbug.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2021
  6. schorni

schorni Well-Known Member

Nat wrote today it's coming today, Adam wrote yesterday it's coming today.
    I think it's a bit cheap to claim that it was never exactly said and now just a sorry is a bit too little.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Xander1986

Xander1986 Well-Known Member

Yes indead.... 3 hours ago it will come today.... -_-

• Like Like x 2
  8. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

Well its been nothing but misinformation on this whole Rush Hour release, to the point where I am more angry and frustrated with this game than I should be.

This should be a fun and and enjoyable experience and yet I find myself unable to even turn the game on because of the hate I have for DTG right now.

So as I tell my kids if your more stressed than having fun on a video game. It's time to stop playing as it's not worth it.

And being honest I should never have watched any streams or read the forums as it just makes me look at all the issues with the game and not enjoy playing it anymore.

So sadly I have uninstalled TSW 2 and all my downloads and saved games. Maybe I'll come back to it but not likely. Unfortunately I have been corrupted and no one to blame but myself for believing things said in streams and in articles from the official publisher. How silly of me.

What was it Mulder said, trust no one?

• Like Like x 2
  9. BBIAJ

BBIAJ Well-Known Member

Bit of an omnishambles this, all things considered, as now the Boston Sprinter DLC will release at midnight BST, but we'll be left waiting at least 16 hours before both the core update and the Series X upgrade is released, if you want to play it both looking at its best, and with the updated controls and interface.

• Like Like x 2
  10. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

This hasn't been confirmed.
    I am hoping that they will release the new multi-console versions along with RH at midnight Thursday so to stop people needing to download all their DLC twice

11. ARuscoe

Of course this is all caused by people with brand new consoles needing new versions, so everyone on a PS4, Xbox (old) and PC is now being penalised because of that... Just thought I'd throw that out there :cool:

12. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Those that stir the pot should be made to lick the spoon lol.

13. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Guest

I've decided to skip Rush hour (I'm more than happy with MS Filight sim for the time being) but I really would like to see the improvements DTG are bringing to XSX if only for the sake of idle curiosity. I don't think it's going to be game changing enough to make me want to play it again on a regular basis but being as how DTG have made the effort it would be impolite not to have a peek :cool:

14. ARuscoe

hmm... licking train enthusiasts... I guess I'd better check the last time I had a tetanus shot first (about 17 years ago so I'd need a booster)

• Like Like x 2
  15. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Smart Delivery is the backend system which ensures that once you own the license for a specific game, either by buying a digital copy or putting a physical copy into your system, it will always download the specific dedicated version for whichever console you try to play it on (Or PC for XBox Play Anywhere titles), never having to buy a separate version for different platforms.

Stick the XBox One disc for a game that has smart delivery into a series X and it will install the Series X version. If you buy the Series X version of a game that uses it on the XBox store, then try to play it on an XBox One, it will install the XBox One version. Your saves all transfer via XBox Cloud between the versions seamlessly. That's what Smart Delivery is. The console knows the right version of the game you own to install for the hardware, and gets it for you. Hence "smart delivery".

It is wholly separate from and supercedes backcompat, which is merely the ability to still install and run the previous gen version of a game on new consoles if no new gen version exists. Once a game has a new version and Smart Delivery, it can and will install the new gen version over the backcompat version immediately for you as soon as you click the yes button, completely removing any reliance on backcompat.

On a personal note, I absolutely adore it, as it means I can seamlessly save a game, put down my controller in my bedroom on my Series X where I was playing a game, pick up the controller on my XBox One in another room I need to be in for work, and launch the exact same game, but this time the last gen version, and it picks up exactly where I left off on the newer gen system. And almost* any time I buy a new game for my Series X or S, the XBox One version is waiting in the install queue on my XBox One in the other room the next time I boot it up.

(*some games don't have versions for last generation, like The Medium, so cannot support Smart Delivery)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  16. German_Train_Driver

German_Train_Driver Member

The Xbox store shows a X/S logo on the TSW edition i own. but no Update yet.

17. Princess Entrapta

That is part of the store UI, it has been known to roll out a couple of days before the actual updates go live, this is perfectly normal.

18. German_Train_Driver

German_Train_Driver Member

what a bummer ^^

19. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Guest

Smart delivery is a means of backwards compatibility with free assets (framerate unlocks, extra textures etc) made available should you choose to upgrade your console and is *not* the same as a fully optimised X|S release (which usually costs more). For example, you can buy WRC10 for £41.74 or £49.99. Both work on S|X (see product description) but the cheaper (smart delivery) version does not come with the same level of optimisation as the fully fledged S|X version. Physical copies are exactly the same - only the optimised version carries an embossed black "S|X" logo on the box.

So yeah, sorry to disappoint but when you're buying all those smart delivery games you're not installing an S|X game, you're just installing a game that's S|X compatible.

20. Knightfire1964

Knightfire1964 Well-Known Member

am i the only one who just wants rush hour to be over now like it's caused a lot of chaos it seems and just want to get back to the usual swings of things

• Like Like x 1
  21. trainsimfan94

trainsimfan94 Member

nope me too. from the launch on thursday, i hope all the rest will be good.

22. Princess Entrapta

This is ACTIVELY UNTRUE and I am reporting this post for misinformation.
    I get that it's just technical ignorance not active malice, but it's outright wrong on every level, and could lead to people taking it at face value and double spending on games they do not need to.

• Like Like x 4
  23. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

If you're not playing the game because of a personal dislike of the developers, that's your problem and not Dovetail's.
    I see what you're posting, but I'm reading "I am a massive Xbox fanboy and any criticism is immediately wrong and needs reporting."

24. drdavewatford

drdavewatford Active Member

This isn't correct - you've fundamentally misunderstood how Smart Delivery works I'm afraid.

• Like Like x 3
  25. Princess Entrapta

Nah, I just get SUPER frustrated when people who don't understand how the magical fairy people running around inside the little boxes make everything work try to give explanations that might mislead other people who don't know any better. I've got particularly sensitive to stuff like this when it comes to vaccines lately. At least with this the worst consequence is someone spending £50 they absolutely didn't need to on something they already own, but that still sucks.

It's relevant here because it's actively claiming that TSW2 does NOT have a dedicated build for the new gen consoles. When we've literally SEEN it.

26. Princess Entrapta

"No, you don't understand! When you install Demon's Souls remastered on your PS5 it's not a real PS5 game, it's just a backwards compatible PS3 game with graphical upgrades for PS5!":D:mad:

But seriously, I challenge anyone to claim that Metro Exodus, where they rebuilt the entire lighting model of the game from the ground up to utilise hardware based raytracing that was impossible on last gen hardware, is really just a backcompat game XD

You can literally see in the fileinfo how your XBox loads a game (And it *is* handy to know which ones with X/S upgrades can work off an external SSD rather than the internal one for space management) Scarlett ones have to work internally as they are native Series X software running in the CPU's native mode, Durango are games built for XBox One which can tap into additional capabilities of the new hardware. Right now Scarlett ones I'm getting via Smart Delivery are outnumbering the Durango "Gen9Aware" titles among my installed games by an ever increasing margin, which has increasingly freed space on my external 8TB drive, but required me to get two XBox memory cards.

At the end of the day the vast majority of console games have ALWAYS been heavily scaled back versions of what the PC versions can do. When a new console gen launches there's always been a switch to delivering expensive "remasters" of games which let publishers double dip on full price versions of the game by releasing a version closer to the PC specs, as well as to launching new titles for the first couple of years with an even MORE heavily compromised version for the previous gen. Smart Delivery removes that double dip from the equation and ensures you get every version for one price.

A remaster isn't backwards compatibility.
    A game getting a native version for new consoles and a compromised scaled back version for old consoles is not backwards compatibility.
    Backwards compatibility is the ability to run older software on newer hardware.

[EDIT]
    Oh, and I just thought because the announcement of the 1.3 patch reminded me - Cyberpunk 2077 is the exception that proves the rule on this, as they released a "last gen" version but scaled it to current gen hardware, so the "backcompat" version doesn't actually work properly at all on the hardware it was ostensibly released for, only on the current gen, so I don't even know WHAT you'd call that mess.

27. bones.n.hombre

bones.n.hombre Active Member

I think there is some confusion about smart delivery.

Basically it just works out what system you own series X/S or Xbox one and installs the correct or best version.

I can assure those confused you really do get the fully powered up Series X/S version (or sometimes both) even if you purchase the Xbox one game.

Control (store), I got two versions of the game X/S and one
    Doom eternal (disc), when I put the disc in I was told there is a free upgrade to Series X
    Jedi Fallen order (disc), same again free upgrade to the Series X version.

Warhammer Chaosbane, very naughty, this game does NOT support smart delivery, however I did my research and bought the Series X version.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  28. Princess Entrapta

All of this. This is indeed how it works. It's really elegant in its simplicity.

• Like Like x 1
  29. A Big Chungus

A Big Chungus Active Member

You just have to be prepared for a full installation of the game again, albeit a larger file size.
    The annoying thing for me is that I purchase games on disc, and only one game I have purchased, Sega's Judgement, actually had the Series X version on the disc, meaning the installation was a quick process. Every other game has had to download off the web, leading to occasional lengthy download times.

30. Princess Entrapta

See, for me it's the opposite way around. My internet connection is faster than the read speed of the optical drive. Games install around 3x as fast downloading them.

But obviously as you can see from my photos of the FH4 tests earlier (that took 6 minutes to install from the internet btw) - I value physical media a LOT for when products hit the end of their officially supported life.

31. A Big Chungus

Wow what on Earth speeds do you have? I have 500MB Virgin Media and installing off the disc is always faster for me

32. Princess Entrapta

It was great though seeing the difference the PCIe4 SSD made once I got a Series X and the install speed of games from the internet DOUBLED because it was no longer bottlenecked by the write speed of the hard drive I was using and could actually take advantage properly of my connection speed.

33. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Sounds like he has at least 1Gbps, as the Ethernet port of the Xbox won’t let you go any faster. I’m surprised MS didn’t put in a speedier solution, as 2Gbps is not uncommon now (for which I pay nearly 50€/month but that also includes unlimited phone calls and TV). My PC fortunately has a 2.5Gbps port, and will download big Steam games in a jiffy, but the Series X strangles the bandwidth down to half speed.

34. A Big Chungus

2Gbps wow, the stuff of dreams!

35. Princess Entrapta

It's not so bad though, having some devices capped at 1Gbps if you have several devices which tend to be downloading all at once, you still get the benefits of the higher connection speed, rather than them all being stuck at subpar speeds when multiple ones are going at once.

36. Cd1990

Cd1990 Active Member

Hold up, so is it going to install a separate version of the game and all it's DLC after the core update has gone through, or will it just overwrite the current game files? Forza Horizon 4 did an overwrite, however Fifa 21 downloaded a separate game so I'm a bit lost as to what will happen now, sorry!

37. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Guest

I know exactly how smart delivery works. All I was saying was if there is an optimised (more expensive) version for a game you absolutely DO NOT get that version when you migrate it across consoles, you get whatever is advertised in the bundle you pay for and nothing more. Otherwise, who in their right mind would pay for this:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/w...s-xs/9NB0FMM7NQLM?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

When you can buy this, the smart delivery version of the exact same game, for £8 less!:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/w...-one/9PDD4D5W57C8?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

The poster in question implied that smart delivery guarantees you the very best available version of a game when you bring forward your collection and that is simply not true. yes, I know a lot of these upgrades do give you a like for like version but he also needs to be aware of the fact that some do not. WRC10 is one of those games.

Anyhows, from here on in we'll have to agree to disagree because there are more pressing matters to discuss

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2021
  38. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

*Me with 20mbps*

39. Cd1990

Cd1990 Active Member

Same, I'm running at about 24mbps, this'll be fun... :D

40. Princess Entrapta

Because that game, as listed clearly in the features - DOES NOT UTILISE SMART DELIVERY. Because a handful of publishers are releasing games without supporting it because they want to double dip.
    upload_2021-8-18_11-22-14.png

That's like complaining that game's HDR mode is terrible, when it explicitly does not list HDR compatibility in the features.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  41. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

It's getting a bit confusing in here and the Xbox upgrade from Xbox one to Series X/S will be very simple.

If you already own the add-ons and you have one of the newer generation consoles. It will all update automatically when available.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.