Ts18: The Portsmouth Direct Line – Out Now!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Jul 13, 2018.

1. TrainSim-James

TrainSim-James Staff Member

[​IMG]

The full Portsmouth Direct Line, which stretches 70 miles from London Waterloo to Portsmouth Harbour, has arrived for Train Simulator – complete with authentic South West Trains traction.

READ MORE

• Like Like x 9
  2. oXoP4NDEMiCZoXo

oXoP4NDEMiCZoXo New Member

Really looking forward to this, looks great!

3. The Train Sim Guy

The Train Sim Guy Active Member

Stunning, just stunning. Been to Portsmouth station countless times whilst waiting to get to the Isle of Wight and you have really captured the feel of the startion an the area. Going to be the best DLC of the year I recon.

• Like Like x 3
  4. oXoP4NDEMiCZoXo

I completely agree with you!

5. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Extremely well done will be buying this and looking forward to playing

6. Medellinexpat

Medellinexpat Well-Known Member

Looks excellent but the first ‘review’ is negative on the basis that there’s no manual posted to look at before buying.

While basing the whole rating on that point is rather harsh it is a fair comment. All DLC should come with a manual and most importantly for routes a map. Has anyone bought it and know if there’s a manual in the pack and it’s just an oversight that’s not placed on the Steam Product Page?

7. Michael Newbury

Not sure why someone would say there is no manual for this route I clicked on the view manual and it's there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Medellinexpat I'll let you know- its downloading as we speak ;)

Where would I look for the manual- the game root directory or in steam itself?

Edit- found the manual on the dlc page, right side, next to the 4th paragraph, in English. Route map included.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Michael Newbury

The one thing I just found out is that the manual is not in english on steam so a little on the down side

10. Medellinexpat

Michael Newbury if you look on the Steam Product pages you’ll often see on the bottom right a link to the manual BEFORE you buy the product. I look at them before purchasing one, to look at the complexity of the product and two, to read about scenarios etc. Armstrong Powerhouse let you do the same.

Apart from prepurchasing decisions I also use those links as another storage for documentation. If you click on the Steam links they can be saved into PDFs on iBooks on yoyr Ipad. All my manuals are there which makes quick and separate reference if I want to check something while playing TS.

Sunscreen yes I can see it there now (and it’s in English). Nice map, nice cab controls, pictures of the rolling stock but not a mention of the scenarios. Presumably all of the dependent DLC is in the route for the scenarios?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  11. Michael Newbury

That is what I was doing and both times came up in another language, I just gave it another try and this time it came up in english. Not sure what happened but at least it is there in english.

• Like Like x 1
  12. theobsessedgamer

theobsessedgamer New Member

Don’t get me wrong I’m really happy this has finally released but I’ve been waiting ages for this and when it does release I’m on holiday and cannot play it. SUNDAY HURRY UP

13. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

Absolutely fantastic route and masterkey have done an amazing job with the clas 444 and 450. As soon as I saw masterkey simulations where doing the rolling stock I knew this would be incredible. The trains sound superb and they handle excellent. The route is just stunning got to be the best route of the year for train simulator 2018 going to take a lot of work to beat this one. Hopefully dtg and masterkey simulations work together more often to bring us these fantastic routes and stock. Well done all involved it was worth the wait

14. oXoP4NDEMiCZoXo

Very well said I think this is the top route for the year also it's very well done.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ewsclass66

ewsclass66 New Member

Route is amazing but some feedback for the Desiros. High tone horn lasts about 1 second then cuts off randomly. DSD/DVD is incorrect and does not sound like that in real life. Internal cab noises are basically the same as the external ones, You can hear trains passing like you are stood next to them. When passing over an AWS ramp where the signal is at a caution state, there should be a 1 second delay from passing over the ramp to the alarm sounding.
    Otherwise the route is a massive improvement just a few details that need to be fixed.

16. Goldline

Goldline New Member

This route is great, but my only down side is the class 450 and 444. I know Master Key Simulations was only involved with the
    built of the visual models and textures of the included Class 450/444. But what I don't understand is why they wasn't involved with scripting/sounds/systems like come on DTG everything went great until I heard recycled sounds and loud brakes sounds what was taken off the old default Class 450/444 that was done by you guys all. What I see is cutting corners and being lazy we pay money to enjoy your products not to feed your pockets. I hope I get an answer from the developer team about this like please?? all I want is to see the best and maybe you could talk with Master Key Simulations to see if you could fix this issue.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. theobsessedgamer

theobsessedgamer New Member

You’ve done really well on this apart from the sounds of the desiros. They’re discrasful, the sound of the doors and the door animation aren’t in sync, they high tone horn cuts out after 1 second, the horn sounds are just recycled from the old desiros, the motor sounds are not good at all, the DSD/DVD sounds are wrong and so is the driver to guard signal but apart from that huge mess you did really well but please fix the sounds or just do something about it cause we’re paying a lot of money for this and so please at least make it half decent. I mean its not fair on us cause even third party developers that are getting lots of hassle from people requesting new sounds for these

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. SprattyHeath

SprattyHeath Well-Known Member

The route is amazing, I owned the MSTS route which came out in the mid 2000's, and of course the graphics were LQ, in TSXX however, it's a completely different story, and a huge improvement over the original, however the sounds on both the Desiros & the 455 are as per usual dissappointing.

I was hoping that MK would do the Sounds for both the Desiros and the 455, but it turns out to not be the case at all, the 455 sound is recycled entirely from the original 455, as well as the physics which are just wrong, and the same for the Desiros as well, the sounds are just recycled from the original versions and are just wrong, including the fact that the horn sound cuts out because of a TS core issue, and because of poor scripting involved.

HOWEVER, apart from the usual recycled sounds used on the trains, the Route & Models in general are a thumbs up and definitely an improvement over the original.

19. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

Well so far I'm really liking this route. It was so nice to be able to drive a complete run from Portsmouth into London Waterloo. I like the physics on the Desiros, but the 455 is disappointing. Pretty much just a reskin of the Southern 455. Also there's a problem with the DSD in the Desiros. When you go to acknowledge it, it doesn't clear the alarm and the emergency brakes apply. I checked the manual to see if it was the same button as usual (I play with a controller, I know, you all hate me for it). I pressed the correct button and still nothing. So now I have to turn the DSD off whenever I drive. I also don't like how the passenger view in the 444 is in the aisle seat...again. They put it in the window seat for the 450 which I appreciate, but why not the 444? I know everybody is saying the sounds are garbage too, but I honestly don't think the sounds are that bad. The old 450 and 444 sounded like you were being tossed around in a dryer with a load of laundry. At least this sounds more like a train.

EDIT: Finally had my first crash on this route. More like a crash and burn really. Completely closed out of the game and everything. I guess I found out the hard way that I can't drive in or out of Waterloo at night.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  20. darujhistan

darujhistan Member

A lot of hard work as gone in to the making of this route, especially the London area with its complex rail system and a good variety of historic buildings, Big Ben, Houses of Parliament, with the more modern buildings like the Shard and London’s big wheel seen from a distance filling the capital’s landscape.

The only problems I have which spoil the experience for me, which I hope will be fixed at some stage is:-

Passengers walking off the platform and on to the track at Waterloo and slightly off the edge at Portsmouth Harbour, I’ve not noticed this at other stations but….

The sounds of the doors and the door animation when closing are not in sync with all of the stock.

Between the carriages of the Class 444 South West Trains, I can see the graphic frame work (thin black lines), I would assume it should be mainly white with a bit of the blue and yellow stripe at the bottom.

The route between Waterloo and Woking is a bit sluggish. (Maybe I just need to alter my settings)

All in all a fantastic route, a very big improvement on the original, if DTG were to produce some of the older releases like this, (I would like Great Western Main Line to be re-done, with a couple of extensions like Heathrow Express, Windsor or maybe even Greenford, and the East Coast Main Line (York to Newcastle), I wouldn’t hesitate purchasing them also.

If DTG continue making other routes with this amount of detail etc., I can see much better routes ahead of us.
    Thank you to everyone involved for the making of this route and stock.

21. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The DSD acknowledge used to be Q, it's now E
    Fell foul of this myself so check your config

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

@ARusco do you happen to know how frequently its designed to go off? Ive turned it off because it felt like i was on that E button every 30 secs or so...

23. ARuscoe

I think it's once a minute whenever you're in drive mode but I'm sure someone more qualified will come along.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  24. Medellinexpat

Yes, it seemed to be a minute to me.

Having said that I thought that the DSD only sounded if there had been no other movements on the controls by the operator in that period. In the case of these locos though it seems to be every minute regardless. I might be mistaken, like most my experience with the new route is obviously limited.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. ARuscoe

I noticed this. On other trains if you change speed you don't get the alert, in this route it doesn't matter if you're feathering, braking etc the alarm goes off anyway.
    Looks like they need to patch it somewhat (let's not start on the horn cycle)

• Like Like x 1
  26. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Yes- i had it going off in the station which was odd. Thats why i turned it off..

27. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

The DSD going off at a station can happen if you don't touch any controls. In real life drivers have to out the reverser into neutral as soon as they stop at a station, which prevents the DSD from going off

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  28. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Ah ok. Ill do that. Thanks volvolover1972 :)

29. ARuscoe

This does make sense. Then again I'm sure in real life the timetable wouldn't be such that you could arrive at an intermediate station with a five minute advance on time

30. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

And of course the issue pointed out by ARuscoe and Medellinexpat that it goes off regardless of whether control inputs are made still stands and requires further investigation.

31. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

You should probably get into the habit of reading their disclaimers regarding sounds. Also, if sounds are that important to you, maybe you can try figuring out a way to record them, possibly forward it to them, and hope for the best.