Has The News Media Picked Up On This Fiasco?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by shhweeet#4292, Aug 20, 2021.

1. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

If not I wonder why not? Surely this would make a great story for them and perhaps embarrass DTG and Sony to get their fingers out to find a proper SIMPLE automatic! solution for none technically minded players / customers.

I’ve currently just given up on TSW2, so much conflicting info around on here about doing things that sometimes works or doesn’t work for others like deleting the game and reinstalling it etc. I’m not taking that risk because at least the routes that came on my TSW2 disc work. I’ve given up even going to the PS store now because it still says I’ve to pay for all my previously bought dlc’s again so stuff that as well I’m not going to accidentally throw good money after bad.

I guess I might as well just play TSW 2020 now which I’ve never actually played because I bought it as a very cheap £10 deluxe bundle so I could get a few TSW2 routes for free when I first bought TSW2. The only route I can’t play in TSW 2020 is WSR and it’s add ons because I bought WSR as a straight TSW2 purchase before I realised what was what.

What a sorry state of affairs this is having to go back to the older game after shelling out a lot of money which might have to be written off if the credit card company aren’t successful in recovering it in order to play the newer version.

Btw if it gets to the stage where we are going to have to recover costs from Sony or whoever then the only costs you might get back are those made as a straight TSW2 purchase. Anything bought as an initial TSW 2020 purchase you won’t get because you can still play TSW 2020 as far as I know.

Wonderful all this isn’t it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

According to what I'm reading here, the world must be ending or something.

Screw ups happen. A fix is in the works and should be delivered at some point. It hasn't even been a full 24 hours yet. I think people would be much better off playing another game or pursuing some other hobby in the meantime instead of flooding the forums over and over again when the update they keep checking for every 15 minutes doesn't arrive.

Give it some time.

Posts like these aren't useful at all because it can't even be taken as constructive criticism anymore. It's straight up bashing. No one deserves humiliation.

• Like Like x 19
  3. fabienlimp95

fabienlimp95 Well-Known Member

Some Youtubers luckily got the issues and made Videos on this. Hopefully more to follow as they should pretend people to burn their Money.

4. shhweeet#4292

Firstly it has been a full 24 hours plus for me since the core update automatically downloaded and buggered everything up. Secondly monumental screw up like this fully deserve bashing especially when people have paid a lot of money to support this game. The trouble is people like you are too ready to forgive and accept things like this which is why DTG will probably repeat this mistake along with releasing not properly finished dlc’s in future.

No the world isn’t ending just the general public’s lack of justified outrage seems to be ending and general acceptance of ineptitude when screw ups like this happen.

Get mad everyone and bash as much as you like because they deserve it and your perfectly justified and entitled to do so. You’ve all spent an awful lot of money. Of course DTG,Sony, or whoever could start giving refunds on what we’ve spent and I will happily leave you all to it and go and play Sim Rail when it comes out or whatever else.

Btw SkyMutt reading between the lines I’m guessing you own a PS5 and have everything working except GWR. If so good for you because you can afford to write a sanctimonious reply to my post from your advantageous position. Correct me if I’m wrong?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
  5. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

The media won't, its a niche game not a triple A title. It may get a mention on some list on Whatculture in a couple of years but that'll probably be it.

• Like Like x 3
  6. gaetanoavino2

gaetanoavino2 Member

Secondo te io ricomprare tutto ciò già acquistato in precedenza? Tipo la Rotta Amburgo Lubecca oppure Monaco di baviera Augusta,totale esborso 60 euro. Ma questi sono matti?

7. gaetanoavino2

gaetanoavino2 Member

Amburgo Lubeck and Munchen Augsburg i'm not will re-pay, this a shame!!!

8. gaetanoavino2

gaetanoavino2 Member

Where is my game? Why do I have to buy back routes purchased in the past? This inconvenience created by you deserves an additional reward for us poor of ps4, don't you think? I spent a lot of money and now LOVE is not going, see to fix ok thanks

• Like Like x 1
  9. ixofxiii

ixofxiii Well-Known Member

You're blaming DTG, for an issue with Sony, and when all the other ways to play is working ok give or take. PC, XBOX, both good. But let your Sony update take longer than expected, and it's all heck breaking loose!
    Look, I'm on Sony primarily too. I have all but like three DLCs. Right now, I can only play Boston and the TSW2 original 3. And boston will hold me down till when this is fixed.
    Uninstall the game, reinstall just the base game and Boston Sprinter. No other DLC. Boom, you can play until the issue is fixed.
    Seriously, what's wrong with some of you?!?! You don't pay any attention to what you need to so when things like this happen, it's off with their heads! It's said all over the streams and written all over these forums. So let me simplify it:
    1)this is primarily a Sony issue. There's a way to update now without the file size being huge and well theres some bugs in Sony's side delivering the updates. Its not DTG. If it was ,XBox and PC would be having the same issue!
    2) DO NOT repurchase DLC. You already own it. Its just that the update cant find a path to it basically. Wait for Sony to push the rest of the update through. Until then....
    3)if you really wanna play, uninstall the game, reinstall just the base game and Rush Hour (Boston). NOTHING ELSE! if you do, this will continue the issue.
    Again:
    Its a Sony issue.
    DONT repurchase DLC.
    Delete and reinstall with NO DLC except for Boston and youll be good for now.
    Besides, dont ya'll have other games??

• Like Like x 8
  10. ixofxiii

Oh, and the media?
    Really?
    This isn't a Cyberpunk 2077-level incident. It's a bad update push by Sony.

• Like Like x 1
  11. shhweeet#4292

Well that’s ok then.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  12. ottselmaster

ottselmaster Well-Known Member

Id say not being able to access any of the content you may have paid £££ for is WORSE than Cyberjank 2077.

• Like Like x 1
  13. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

Christ, I wish I had a PS5. But unfortunately I don't.
    I play on a PS4 Slim, and I do indeed have the game running without any crashes so far (seems like I'm literally the only person to report that.)
    The issues I'm facing however is that pre-TSW2 routes are not updated and therefore not compatible until the promised update rolls out.

• Like Like x 1
  14. shhweeet#4292

I have the base game routes working as well but that doesn’t mean I shouldn’t be dam well annoyed that the expensive dlc’s I’ve paid for have gone awol. Not just pre TSW2 routes either but TSW2 bought routes as well. No doubt a fix will eventually happen but that really isn’t the point.

• Like Like x 1
  15. woody

woody New Member

It has actually been over 24 hours. In fact is close to 36 hours isn’t it?

• Like Like x 2
  16. woody

woody New Member

Ahhh, so Microsoft are also guilty of a “bad push”. Hmmm, seems like the blame is being shifted everywhere but at DTG!

• Like Like x 2
  17. PHJ-MGF

PHJ-MGF Well-Known Member

Does beg the question. Did they even test any of it first?

• Like Like x 1
  18. shhweeet#4292

Most likely not which is why everyone is so annoyed. Players who have been here for years say DTG have form for this kind of thing but apparently we are just supposed to forgive them and make allowances.

I can’t forgive basic incompetence.

• Like Like x 3
  19. PHJ-MGF

PHJ-MGF Well-Known Member

It's not just pre TSW2 DLC that doesn't work, I have some of the new ones Glasgow and a couple of others, none of my 10 DLC packs work and they are trying to encourage you to support them by buying another. Oh I laughed. Very poor showing indeed on the part of DTG.

• Like Like x 1
  20. ixofxiii

Oh so Cyberpunk was free?
    Also, if you reinstall the game without Rein-Rohl, to DB locos and no LGV, it should work. I only have Boston Sprinter installed and it's working fine. Unlike CP 2077 there's a workaround.
    Plus, this game wast hyped up for a whole decade.

21. steveownzzz#6107

steveownzzz#6107 Well-Known Member

What type of news media are you looking to see pick up this story? I feel like it's fairly common in the gaming world to see major updates not go particularly well during the first 24 hours- there's no precedent for this to be national news as people that aren't gamers won't care. I'm sure some niche gaming websites will mention that this update had issues upon release.
    Also DTG has at least acknowledged the issue and is working to fix so it's not like they've abandoned their user base- that would be news worthy. But a game not functioning optimally after an update isn't really shocking.

22. Leroy Jenkem

Leroy Jenkem New Member

"Don't install the add-ons X and Y you have paid for, and then the base game may work or not but even if it does you wont be able to access the add-on Z you also paid for"
    How do you people deem this acceptable escapes me.

• Like Like x 3
  23. ixofxiii

Because it's only temporary.

• Like Like x 1
  24. shhweeet#4292

I think a game on PlayStation which is one of the worlds most popular gaming platforms if not the most popular one? that’s really just a collection of very expensive dlcs ( On top of the cost of the base game ) that costs the price of most one off purchase PS games that are fully complete to play without any dlcs you really need to buy is a pretty interesting news story when all those expensive and necessary dlc’s go awol via the incompetence of the game developer who obviously never tested this core update before making it live is a pretty interesting news story in anyone’s book tbh.

That’s why the Sky News app for example has its own section dealing with entertainment news. If this monumental f***k up whereby the players who are playing it on the older console who are still in the majority I suspect because A/ they can’t source a PS5 and B/ might be players that genuinely can’t afford a nice shiny new PS5 isn’t a news worthy story then I really dunno what is?

This feels like DTG have made dam sure the few players that have managed to get a PS5 will be ok when they update to the PS5 version whereas PS4 players who are last console generation players haven’t been anywhere near considered when it came to what little testing DTG did do.

If I was a media news reporter I’d be right on this. In fact thinking about it I might just tip them off

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
  25. mattchester#9176

mattchester#9176 Well-Known Member

I've posted (a slightly different version of) this in another thread but it seemed appropriate to add it here too.

The complexity of what DGT have done is immense and clearly Sony's infrastructure is not designed to cope with it. Also, it's not possible to "test" rolling out something on the scale. DGT would need access to entire PSN test network full of fake customers which I'm pretty sure doesn't exist. Although there have still been a few issues, Microsoft's infrastructure seems much better designed for this sort of upgrade.

I'm sure DTG consulted with Sony and were given assurances it would be okay but clearly this hasn't been the case. I just don't think Sony have done this before and didn't know what would happen. I agree that DGT could have done a much better job of explaining their roleout plan and the potential consequences.

It's not great and yes everyone has the right to be frustrated and ask for answers, but we need to remember that most games don't upgrade their entire engine and their back catalogue of DLC, they stick with the version it was released on. If we want TSW to continue to evolve and still have access to upgraded versions of old DLC with better features then we need them to continue to push the boundaries, it just might be a bit of a rocky ride for the community during periods of transition but will hopefully be well worth it in the end. If not we'll just get TSW 3 next year and all our old content will be mothballed in TSW 2.

I just hopefully they'll come up with a more streamlined process for next time round!

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  26. shhweeet#4292

So explain to me then why the next generation of console players with a PS5 are in general ok. It’s obvious the priority has gone to making sure a PS5 works because that’s the next generation of console and where DTG’s future revenue will come once they become more available and everyone starts getting them. In the meantime it seems the poor PS4 player has to put up with being collateral damage, put up with not being able to play a game they helped support when no one had a PS5, and be all forgiving and not vigorously complain and moan about it otherwise they get sanctimonious replies to their genuine gripes from the likes of SkyMutt and the 14 people who have currently liked his reply to me. :mad: earlier in this thread.

Not news worthy? Dam right it is!!

• Like Like x 1
  27. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

If I read a news article that some gamers were a bit cross because a niche train simulator released a dodgy update which meant they couldn't play the game for 24 hours and then maybe couldn't access some DLC for a bit longer, i'd be thinking, "Maaaan, it's a slow news day today!"

The focus was probably on the PS5 because this was primarily the launch of the PS5 version. It was foolish of them to try and do the launch, update and new route release at the same time, but they probably figured it was best to go all-in and hope for the best. Dovetail have never been brilliant at testing stuff on PS4 and yes, it's rubbish that this happened at all, but seriously, front-page national news, it ain't.

• Like Like x 1
  28. shhweeet#4292

I think PS4 players are well within their rights to be more than just a bit cross as you put it :D it’s been a lot more than 24hrs since the core release did for us so I think we are bloody well entitled to be absolutely livid. How out of touch are you.? Yes this is only a game and there are worse things happening at sea but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t vent our anger with regards to this. In the mean time I will take your advice and be extremely happy and content that all my expensive dlc’s are no longer working and available to me and for all you know might never will be unless I get a PS5 or re purchase them again with no guarantee. :mad:

• Like Like x 3
  29. mattchester#9176

mattchester#9176 Well-Known Member

The reason is to do with how PSN has been designed and has nothing to do with the console itself. I have the PS4 version still installed on my PS5 and it's just as broken as everyone else's.

When installing the PS5 version all the DLC is new and separate and was only ever uploaded as a 4.26 verson. I had to claim it all (for free) and add it to my account.

The PS4 DLC were originally uploaded to PSN as the old version and Sony have had to replace the back-end files with the 4.26 version. This is something Sony have not done before and is what's gone wrong. The only alternatives DTG had was:

1) Create new DLC versions (not ideal as certainly for some routes there is already the TSW 2020 and how would users know which version to get since they both are designed for the same base game). This would have been redicicoupsly confusing.

2) Just add the new version as an update to your old DLC. This would have doubled the size as unlike Microsoft, Sony can't replace content, only add to it.

3) Leave the PS4 on the old version and stop supporting it, so no RH or future DLC.

I certainly don't think DTG are blameless especially in regards for communication or foreseeing problems but it is the ways that the PSN is designed and the international complexity of TSW that is causing the problems. Evey the upgrade to PS5 was at lot messier than is should have been, with users currently having to start from scratch having to faff to find the right content to download.

It's certainly not some campaign by DTG to annoy PS4 users.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I'm out of touch? :D

The blue-screen crashes were fixed with the next patch so the game was at least playable and your DLC will be back before you know it. Yes, it's an absolute shambles, but outside of your little, shouty microcosm, nobody really cares.

• Like Like x 1
  31. shhweeet#4292

Well in that case Sony, DTG or whoever give PS4 players a full refund and we can decide whether to stay or leave. As it stands we are tied to TSW quite simply because we have invested a hell of a lot of money in it. Personally if I got a full refund for the actual TSW2 purchases, I’ve made I’d sell my TSW2 deluxe disc on flea bay if anyone would be mug enough to buy it or even just bin it, repurchase WSR and it’s add ons cheaply for TSW 2020 assuming that all still works and just play that. TSW2 I would just forget about and go and try Sim Rail or similar if or when they appear. In other words if I were given a full refund I would become an ex TSW2 customer they will have lost which is why they probably will never give me one.

32. shhweeet#4292

Well you obviously care enough to read my replies and respond to them and you will look pretty bloody stupid if Sony and DTG can’t fix this. ( Hopefully it will be fixed ) Do you at this moment in time have a cast iron guarantee it will be fixed then? In the meantime PS4 players who feel like me will just have to be a little bit cross :D accept they might? have lost all there dlc’s. unless they get a PS5, not worry about it at all and be very pleased indeed that the lucky few who are on PS5 are still enjoying the game and their dlc’s.

Btw fixed or not fixed this board will be forever divided now depending on how we all individually feel about things. Lots of bridges to be built between players which will never really be the same, etc, etc.

if I can get a full refund for my TSW2 purchases I’m out of here which will probably make people like you very happy. As people like you keep saying it’s just a game as such it’s really not worth all this hassle either now or inevitably in the future.

Well done DTG and Sony.

33. frank1116

frank1116 Well-Known Member

I have asked a friend of mine at CNN, he will pick up this story when he is back from Kabul.

• Like Like x 1
  34. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I have an honest question: is this a joke?

TSW - a rail simulator - on national news over a botched release?
    Ok, sound logic... (/s)

Let's look at what's happening around the world, doubt it's muc-

OH MY! A country just collapsed!
    Oh well, TSW is more critical than that.

• Like Like x 6
  35. shhweeet#4292

I don’t think anybody is remotely comparing this with what’s going on in Kabul or anywhere else for that matter. Just because there are truly horrible disasters unfolding in the world doesn’t mean general news stories that happen within people’s day to day lives should cease to be reported and made public.

Edited by DTG Natster - I have removed inappropriate behavior towards another user and mention of politics. Keep the forums on topic. Politics belong elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2021
  36. trainsimplayer

Aye, just attack us over a political issue that has nothing to do with this.

My point was, a botched update of a TRAIN SIMULATOR doesn't warrant a place on national news when a literal country collapsed.

37. shhweeet#4292

Well you Scots think nothing about raising your political issue when and wherever you feel the need to do so hence the reference to it. I know what your point was but my point was there is more to news than just major news such as what’s going on in Afghanistan.

38. trainsimplayer

TSW is a game. It's not a major thing, and will be resolved, somehow. Afghanistan, and other things in the world are more important.

(And I'm ignoring the fact you're attacking us just because I'm Scottish :) )

39. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The PS5 version works because it is new and there is no complicated upgrades like the PS4 version and its DLC. You are talking like this has been deliberate. And you are attacking other members here for no reason. Calm down a bit. This isn’t newsworthy, as nobody would be interested, only the people it directly affects and they all know about it already. It might make it into a trade magazine at best if it carries on for weeks. Some youtubers might pick it up, bloggers might mention it in passing, but it’s likely to get fixed soon and everyone will be happy.

40. CrAzZyKiLLa

CrAzZyKiLLa Well-Known Member

DTG Natster I think this thread should meet its end

• Like Like x 4
  41. frank1116

frank1116 Well-Known Member

Of course it is a joke. As stupid as the thread title, but a joke.
    Hopefully a DTG moderator can stop all this non-sense.

42. trainsimplayer

I agree. Very much so.

• Like Like x 1
  43. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Why would any new media or let alone video game media outlet pick up on this, it won't gain them any views. Seems like the only time somone mention train simulators is when they want to make jokes about the cost of buying all the DLCs for TS1.....

• Like Like x 1
  44. shhweeet#4292

No one is saying this is more important than what’s going on in Afghanistan just people like you who are trying to wrongly imply that people like me think it is. However it is still important to a lot of players on PS4 or maybe you missed all the outrage on here since it all happened???

I couldn’t care less whether your Scottish or not just as I couldn’t care less about your constant bleating as a nation about independence. You Scots certainly have a hang up about it though. ;)

45. Phitasphook

Phitasphook New Member

Given how bad the news is these days would you even trust the msm with this sort of story?. Also as a scotsman not all of us care about indy, and even to that what does TSW have to do with scots indy in this post?

Too many people these days just want to bash folk left right and centre if they don't get what they want, cotten wooled, entitled generation has become the way to be now for some.

We are all frustrated about not getting to play our DLCs or bugs with the Game/Sim but for it to be news worthly is just mental

• Like Like x 2
  46. trainsimplayer

If you don't really care that I'm Scottish what was the need to bring it up? There was none.

P.S. if the mods could intervene here I'd be very greatful.

• Like Like x 1
  47. shhweeet#4292

Because I was playing you back at your own game son.

Oh! here we go again wanting the mods to operate cancel culture how very 21st century. Here’s an idea why don’t you moderate yourself and not involve yourself in this thread if the subject of it upsets you so much. But you couldn’t resist could you.

48. trainsimplayer

I was making a point. This has no reason to be on national news. Real lives are happening, much more important than a botched update on TSW.

Your the one who couldn't resist, my friend.

You couldn't hold back to take a pop.

I came to make a point. You returned to attack.

49. Mikey_9835

Mikey_9835 Well-Known Member

Here's an idea. Go play something else, go outside or do anything rather than waste your anger on trying to get the news involved.

You're not entitled to a refund so just wait for this issue to be fixed rather than throwing a tantrum.

I'm not saying you don't have a right to be angry, but this is the wrong way to do it.

It's only a video game.

• Like Like x 3
  50. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

There is no way even on the slowest news day any national outlet would pick this up - it's far too niche. I highly doubt across all three platforms the number of active players gets anywhere near 5 figures, and so practically no one will click on the article, and I think those who would would only do it out of pure curiosity as to what this "Train Sim World 2" thing is. This is in a world where comedian Sean Lock's death was the most viewed article on the BBC's website that day, yet only got a passing mention on its flagship 6 o'clock bulletin.

• Like Like x 3