The New Br 146 Is... Awesome!!!!

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Nei4024, Aug 20, 2021.

Tags:
?
  1. me!!

25 vote(s)
    56.8%
  2. me too!!

19 vote(s)
    43.2%
  1. Nei4024

Nei4024 Active Member

I have just tested the new 146 on a stage from koln to achen, my level of satisfaction is maximum. Although it is still a little strong (too little), it is now possible to sit in the cabin of the 146 and enjoy a beautiful journey through the German valleys and cities without going completely deaf.
    This was impossible before, it was by far, if not the worst, of the worst sounds in the game, poorly mixed, very loud, very noisy ... When you saw a Dostos / 146 coming in the distance, you had to take off your headphones and breathe strong so as not to go crazy with that sound.

Undoubtedly, that bad mix has taken hours and hours from many players from being able to enjoy it, especially those who love German content.

Thank you DTG, for this change even though it took a year, but it would have been nice if it was addressed earlier, because this locomotive is present in layers on all German routes.

Happy for the new sounds.
    Greetings.

Edit: also excited about the addition of the AFB and LZB ;)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 11
  2. cwf.green

cwf.green Well-Known Member

Seems a bit useless to make a poll but then not allow people to disagree with the thesis.

What do you mean by it being too strong?

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. bobbobberdd

bobbobberdd Well-Known Member

In the last 24 hours I have covered more distance with the 146 than in the whole of last year.:love::D

• Like Like x 5
  4. Nei4024

Nei4024 Active Member

I said that before it was too strong and that after the update it is a little strong (too little). Now it's nice to drive.
    I did not say that now it sounds too loud.

5. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

Took it for a spin yesterday as well. It was a pleasure driving the old main Spessart Bahn again with my favorite passenger hauling loco without having to fear my ears will sustain permanent damage.

I have to say, it is obviously far from perfect in terms of mixing (also I think you still don't hear any thumps when going over switches and similar track noise in cockpit) but at least you can play it well. I have seen devs rightfully differentiating between broken/unplayable and bugged, bit this loco was borderline broken due to the noise that was really just painful.
    Glad that we at least took a good step into the right direction!

• Like Like x 3
  6. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Agreed, it's not perfect, but compared to before, it's a huge improvement and makes it fun to drive again. I've been avoiding it but took it for a few runs last night.

7. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

Did you get a different version? Mine still sounds terrible especially at high speeds, and it has some stutters now along with it :( Need to give it another try today I guess.

And while the new destination display is nice, Cologne as a choice of destination is weird and should be Köln, it is in Germany and should be German after all :)

• Like Like x 3
  8. Emizel

Emizel New Member

Nothing was changed in the sounds ?

• Like Like x 2
  9. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

Perhaps you got a different version. Sounds the same as before apart from the run sounds are now audible in the cab. Before it was utterly silent apart from the ear piercing motors which stutter when the next scenery tile loads.

• Like Like x 1
  10. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

AFB has always been there, only LZB is new.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

The motors also quieter, which makes the thing as a whole more bareable. The scenery load stutter it does is still hyper annoying, even if less noticable.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Perhaps it’s just the run sounds that improve it. The motor sounds still stutter but to me they seem quieter now and the stutters are a lot less noticeable. They used to be incredibly irritating.

As I said not perfect, but for me an improvement. Certainly playable now.

13. Maik Goltz

Maik Goltz Well-Known Member

Just a hint: try the RRO MRCE 185.2. There is a real change in sound :) (tbh, i dont know if it got released with this update yet, so you may just have a try, you will hear the difference).

• Like Like x 16
  14. cwf.green

cwf.green Well-Known Member

Right, but I don't understand what "too strong" means. Do you mean it has too much power or tractive effort?

15. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’ve not played with the 146 since getting the PS5 version. Definitely one of my favourite locos so very happy the sound has been improved. I’ll be excited to try her out at the weekend.

16. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

yes it’s working

17. 1003523721

1003523721 Member

Yes, the sound of the br185.5 is better than the one of br146.2. A big change can be found especially when driving at a speed of 100+

• Like Like x 1
  18. 1003523721

1003523721 Member

Did anyone find that the lzb doesn't work well in br146.2? There is no "beep" sound when I drive into lzb district. And also the distance of the next speed limit didn't show on the screen.

19. HaibaraHariko

HaibaraHariko Active Member

Just tried on HMA and it sounds so nice at high speed. However there's a continuous noise (like some transformer?) in the cab. I don't know if it is supposed to be there?

20. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

I am here not understanding what the big deal is because I use my tiny computer speakers. lol

• Like Like x 1
  21. dbrunner#4864

dbrunner#4864 Well-Known Member

While a small update is welcomed i wouldn't call this "awesome". With window closed the cab is so silent you don't even know the locomotive is powered or actually moving. With the window down its somehow playable but it lacks any joint sounds at any speed. Also the wheel flange is very rare. The BR 185 does sound much better, hopefully the same sound can be achieved on the 146 to.
    Also the sound of the passenger cars needs to be lowered because its way louder than it should. When you are in the cab in real life (even with window down) you only hear the loco rolling/engine sounds and not the ones from the passenger cars behind.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Maik Goltz

That is intended. That is how it sounds in there when all the neat aggregates are switched on in the engine room. It is quite loud in there when you open the doors to the engine room and those high frequency Inverters for the helping aggregates are pushing trough the doors insulation. The sound is recorded from a original 185.

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
  23. HaibaraHariko

Now real respect to both you, maybe your team if there is one, and engineers who drive the BR 185s every day. Only did a single run from München to Augsburg but that was too noisy for me.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Maik Goltz

Mhm, but it is not a loud sound at all. It is quite decent in volume and should not disturb at all. Maybe something wrong with your audio settings? Using any sound enhancement settings with your sound card or something?

25. HaibaraHariko

That's interesting. Just changed my sound output and now I can only hear the sound when I turn around or get close, instead of all the time through the drive. Thank you for your work and the advice.

26. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Is this the 146 or 185 or both?

27. mclitke

I am driving the 185 right now and the sounds are great. But I have to second what HaibaraHariko said, I feel like the electric sound in the cab is quite overpowering. I don't recall making any changes to my overall sound setup that would make this specific sound louder.
    For science purposes I plugged my headset in and it is better with it, since it muffles sounds directly behind my field of view. Even then I find that sound being louder than pretty much every other sound that I hear in cab with windows closed. As soon as I look to the sides and backwards the electric sound gets really annoyingly loud I must say.
    Just my two cents. Rolling along HMA with headphones and the relaxing deep bass rolling sounds I can manage to partially fade out that whirr in my head, as long as I dont turn the camera around.
    If someone happens to find a reason that might be related to sound setup I will be thankful if they could share, maybe this is user-end related afterall.

28. aglomarsale

aglomarsale Well-Known Member

For me, nothing's changed for the sounds of the 146??? Its still the same, high pitched noise with occasional stuttering, there is no difference. AM I the only one?

But I have received the MSB preservation update with the new skies. etc

• Like Like x 1
  29. TRAXX-Driver

TRAXX-Driver Member

Will the DB 185 also get this sound? I use this version much more often than the MRCE one.

30. Cotax

Cotax Well-Known Member

How exactly did you do that?

146 and 185.2 are fine for me, but sitting inside 185.5 my ear hurts! The whirring noise from engine compartment is too high.

• Like Like x 2
  31. Maik Goltz

This is the pure sound file: link removed

I can't hear any disturbing noises. It is a clear, original recording from a 185 cab. If it would be that bad as you say, we would know it from the drivers already.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
  32. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

To me the sound is more or less the same ... don't know where the huge difference is.

• Like Like x 2
  33. Haverknol

Haverknol Member

It's very broken, yes. No lights whatsoever on the MFD, and nothing when reaching the"Ende" sign, resulting in me not acknowledging it and bricking the loco. So on LZB routes it is pretty much still unplayable (unless maybe with the HUD, but I don't like playing with the HUD).

34. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

Kinda weird, I love the sound. But also for me it is very very loud. I don't have changed aby settings with my sound card and I don't use any kind of sound mod or mods for the MRCE 185. Maybe something went wrong when implementing or downloading. Do you think redownloading RRO could help balance this again?

• Like Like x 1
  35. Maik Goltz

No, definitely not. When it is to loud, then it is to loud :) Nothing you could do against it. I will check it the days if there maybe something went wrong. I have tried the loco in game after it was done a while ago and all was fine to me.

36. mclitke

The file in the link does not work, it seems like one needs authorization for it to be played... I am curious to see if you find anything odd with the sound balance or if the way it is now is 100% supposed to be.
    Just loaded up a RRO service (since the one this afternoon was on HMA) and it is still the same unfortunately. I mean if this is the way it is IRL then it can't be helped, but right now I am unsure if I can drive that loco as that electric whirr is really harsh on my ears. But apart from that, from my run on HMA, I found the sounds of that loco to be greatly improved from what I remember it before the patch!

edit: Just a thought that crossed my mind after posting this, it is common for some people to hear some higher frequencies that others don't, so that might also be a thing why some people would deem it fine and others consider it too loud or it getting "too deep" into their ears.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
  37. Ferrovipathe67

Ferrovipathe67 Well-Known Member

maybe your Uptade is not out for the Traxx 185,5?

38. HaibaraHariko

I have some kind of customization software that came along with my sound card and when I turn off the "stereo sound" thing, I can't hear the electric noise any more when facing forward. However it's still there if I turn around or stand up.

39. dbrunner#4864

dbrunner#4864 Well-Known Member

I think that people with 5.1 or 5.1 virtualization for stereo headphones will hear that electric whine far better than people with stereo setup since the sound is coming from behind. Try and lower the volume levels for the speakers that are behind, in case of virtualization lower the amount of virtualization (CreAtive has a surround setting in its SBX menu) so a lower amount of sound coming from behind is achieved. Also slightly lowering the high band (far to the right) in the sound card EQ control panel would also make a high pitch sound more friendly.

40. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

Thanks, mate! Apart from that, I really love this new sound ambiente und it's a completely new experience to drive the loco. Your work on the german stuff is just perfect! :)

41. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Yeah I've just tried it - that is a bit annoying and distracting with it being so loud. It's like someone's having a haircut behind me.

• Like Like x 1
  42. Maik Goltz

But, tbh., this is how it sounds in such a loco. You all are constantly asking for more prototypical and correct sounds. That is what it is :)

• Like Like x 10
  43. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I had a go of the 146 today. She sounded great.

44. LWDAdnane

LWDAdnane Well-Known Member

If the train really sounds like this, then it is what it is. We want nothing more from a simulator then for it to be realistic, if we want to play a game about trains for the sake of it, then there are plenty of options out there. It's as simple as not driving the train, if you don't like it, whether that be the way it sounds, drives, etc etc. I personally have never been inside a 146, but if truly this is what one sounds like then I think people should stop complaining. Simply drive another train.

It's not right for us to whine when something is not true to life as we want it to be, and then when it is, we complain as well.

• Like Like x 9
  45. mclitke

"whine"
    It is something different if people say "I don't like this sound" or "I can't use it, it hurts my ears".
    Personally I say if it is like that IRL, let's keep it the way it is. Nonetheless I also think that this here is fair and valuable feedback and not whining.
    Yes I can drive other trains, but if that sound makes it into the other 185.2 or the 146, the number of German locos I can play will decrease with each update.

This is no fronting, whining or bashing, just me saying that as realistic it may be, it does have a certain vrequency that makes me want to press the esc button just to get relief from it. Maybe one can try to find a compromise of reducing that specific sound in volume but who knows, if it is a frequency thing that some people are having more issues with than others, maybe it is better off staying the way it is for realism's sake.

Little anecdote from my personal experience:
    I was once in London with school and when we visited a bunker, as well as when we returned home at the airport, I was hearing a super high pitched electric frequency tone in a rhythmic pattern. I asked almost everyone if they could hear that sound too, because it hurt my ears but apparently no one else did hear anything. Still don't know what it was but most likely some sort of security device that emitted a tone that most don't hear.

The reason I am saying this is that some people can hear a few frequencies more than others, and to these a tone like the one in the 185.5 right now can actually be painful, especially if listened to for a longer duration.
    But at the same time it is not fair to make changes when others r are enjoying it the way it is, especially when it is accurate.

• Like Like x 1
  46. Maik Goltz

If you could tell me what frequencies are the "bad" ones for you, i could try to filter them out. Simply lowering the high frequencies (with a low cut filter) is not a good approach because it muffles the sound.

47. LWDAdnane

LWDAdnane Well-Known Member

I understand. I think it's a tough one tbh, I guess if it's actually hurting a large number of players then maybe it should be adjusted slightly. Maybe it's also been adjusted for a particular set of sound systems too, if that makes sense? My headphones are 7.1 surround, and although there's definitely a high frequency in the mix of sounds, it doesn't bother me too much. Or maybe it's somehow the way our ears are different, like how only you heard the high pitched frequency sound on your trip. Potentially quite a few variables when it comes to high pitched frequencies.

48. mclitke

Alright so I have done some pseudo science and have no idea if that is helpful at all, but I took a recording of me standing next to the Loco and then entering the cockpit. I have found a page that let's you visualize frequency spectrum from sound files and this is what I came up with:
    IMG_20210821_223009.jpg
    The left part is outside the Loco, and starting in the middle is the moment I entered the cockpit. If this has any use at all, the frequency tone seems to be somewhere between 9 kHz and 10.5 kHz.

It is horribly hard though trying to filter out which exact one is the problematic one. I listened to a 9000 hz and 10000 hz sound, as well as some others outside that range for measure on YouTube (Disclaimer: don't do this if you are susceptible to high frequency sounds, it can hurt your ears and have unhealthy side effects!) and I couldn't tell which one fits the sound in the Loco (if this is in any way a valid way of research to begin with).
    I can only imagine that it won't be any easier for you to find the "issue" if I can't pinpoint it myself and if you can't do anything about it Maik this is of course completely fine. I appreciate you trying to help regardless.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  49. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

So I gave the 185.5 a go after reading this thread, and wow, sounds are much more improved but I do have a couple of observations.

1, I do agree that the high pitched electric noise is much louder than anything else in the cab, however it did drop off after about 20 minutes.

2, there is still a noticeable stutter when the sound file loops, maybe this can be looked at?

Other than that it was actually a pleasure to drive a TRAXX in TSW 2 which is something I could not of said before today since release.

• Like Like x 2
  50. Ferrovipathe67

Ferrovipathe67 Well-Known Member

a little disappointed because there are always broken and high-pitched sounds and then there are still no serious sounds when the BR 146.2 is at 5 kilometers / per hour
    BR 146,2 at 4:10

• Like Like x 1