Dtg, Have Mercy :)

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by breblimator, Aug 21, 2021.

1. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Approaching Back Bay from the South is a true nightmare. It's hard for me to count all the crashes in this place. Probably the game loads all those scenery trains then. Who knows. I hope DTG will know. This is not just for my PC. I had the "pleasure" of watching YouTubers end their broadcast for the same reason, in the same place. I can really forgive bad DoStos and other shortcomings, but when the game doesn't work I get nervous.

TSW 2 was a better premiere in technical terms.
    4.26 and Rush Hour updates, that's a bad joke.
    I am omitting the epic entitled 'preservation' in this comparison.

As a sweetness I would like to add - Boston Sprinter is a very good DLC (I skip technical issues).

• Like Like x 6
  2. Tanglebones

Tanglebones Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear you're having issues. I approached Back Bay from the south in an MBTA train and haven't experienced any crashes, FWIW. If there is a specific scenario or service that is causing an issue let us know and we can run it ourselves and see.

• Like Like x 2
  3. breblimator

breblimator Guest

This is random & applies to all services. It definitely has to do with PC memory. The phenomenon is common. Citing specific cases gets you nowhere. This is a core issue. Before '4.26', this problem was not present on the PC.
    It was at this point that you were informed. BR o7

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  4. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Is anyone else experiencing this crash? I've driven countless times up and down the route and not had any crashes at all to be honest.

I'd like to get some more data on this to help the engineers investigate it.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  5. Glazier

Glazier Member

Not this, but there was a crash on Boston exit, random crash on approaching station, a crash 200 yards before the final station, all this in the first non tutorial service of journey (#915). And the most epic was a crash at the end of "Foundations" scenario, just after completing final objective, and it was 90 minutes long scenario :D.
    Also, crashes on exiting the game, all the time, no exception.

I forced DirectX 11 usage via -DX11 and it stopped crashing on exit, will now retry Foundations...

• Like Like x 2
  6. jayzhead

jayzhead Active Member

I did not have any crashes approaching back bay, or any other station. However, since the update the game crashes EVERY time I exit to windows - with an unreal engine error dialog. It doesn't affect my gameplay at all, because, well, it happens after I'm done :) I've sent the report from the dialog, but I'm guessing that sends it to the developers of Unreal rather than to DTG... I'll try to fish out the crash report from the folder and send it to DTG support directly

• Like Like x 2
  7. breblimator

breblimator Guest

My conclusions are as follows:

1. The F40PH-3C is a model with lower hardware requirements than the ACS-64. You can see it by the number of fps in similar situations. This mainly happens with the ACS-64. // hardware dependent?
    2. Lowering the graphics settings reduces the occurrence of this phenomenon. On ultra, it happens every time. High - not, etc. // hardware dependent?
    3. In most cases I am forced to restart my computer. If any message appears - it concerns video memory.
    4. My configuration is 8 GB RAM and GTX 1050.
    5. I am currently experimenting with a page file (8 GB > 16 GB). 32 GB solves similar problems for me, e.g. with DCS World.
    6. Other games on UEngine do not cause such problems (eg Assetto Corsa Competizione).
    7. I haven't tested any other demanding routes yet, but I'm about to test the HMA.
    8. Some of my friends who play TSW (not all) have the same problem, in the same place, but on better configurations (PC).

I understand, of course, my configuration is archaic, but this has not happened before. BR o7

• Like Like x 2
  8. Maik Goltz

Maik Goltz Well-Known Member

A GTX 1050 is, if even close, at the lowest end of the specs. It is basically not a gaming card, more a office card. Only 2 or newer ones 3 GB of VRAM. That is simply not enough for such a game. This will cause continuous problems i believe. Especially on higher settings. Lower your settings to XBox One / PS4 (the entry level versions) standards and you might be good. On PC and high settings you need more VRAM.

• Like Like x 2
  9. breblimator

breblimator Guest

You are probably right, but the previous version ran on the ultra without any problems. 20-30 fps.
    München Hbf < 20 fps

10. Maik Goltz

Remember, it is a new engine version. That may have changed things as this version in more than a year newer then the last one. UE4 is not standing still in terms of hardware requirements. On high settings you need better hardware with newer versions.

• Like Like x 3
  11. breblimator

breblimator Guest

These are not fps drops but hard-reset crashes. There is something wrong with the code.

PS I'm checking the HMA now. If nothing happens - Boston Sprinter.
    I will repeat again - my friends have a similar problem on very gaming PCs.

NB services, approaching Back Bay, less than half a mile away from

12. Maik Goltz

Missing VRAM does not impact FPS. It just crashes a game engine. That is exactly what you experiencing.

• Like Like x 2
  13. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

I had the same issue i7-3700x gtx 3060ti (8Gb Vram)..I found these crashes only relate to Boston Sprinter. I (think) I solved it by deleting the whole install and starting from scratch..Is there something in the Steam update that leaves some.old files behind perhaps, and is Epic having the same problem?.

• Like Like x 1
  14. breblimator

breblimator Guest

That is why I am very dissatisfied at this point.

TSW.temp.png

15. breblimator

breblimator Guest

My install is pure-all-fresh. This unfortunately did not help.

16. jayzhead

jayzhead Active Member

Just after writing my previous post I started a service (#174 Providence - Boston) and the game crashed smack down in the middle of it, when I was about 13 miles from route 128. I saved the dump. Indeed, not very stable it seems.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Yeah, today I had a crash approaching Providence on the Foundations scenario. Then gave it a second run and it was all fine.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I get a crash between 128 and Readville, almost everytime. I can't do any full line runs.

• Like Like x 1
  19. breblimator

breblimator Guest

It's not good to be childishly frustrated, but after two days of continuous reboots, I was out of patience.

Probably more efficient configurations are more resilient. I also understand it is impossible to play new games on the calculator.
    However, something is wrong in my opinion (now I am calm).

Let me tell you a story: in DCS World, after one of the updates, the multiplayer servers constantly crashed.
    It turned out that the use of taxi lights on the F-16 caused these problems.
    It's no malice on my part, but maybe there is something wrong with the ACS? Maybe just another tree has 8K shadows? :)
    Unfortunately, as it turns out, not all of it happens in the same place.

I'll throw in a little joke. I finally made it to Boston, but the price was high. I feel indistinct :D

TSW.temp.png

I'm delighted with Boston Sprinter and want to believe it's a little technical problem with 4.26!

PS I will add one more - I just made a round on HMA - Ultra, 200% screen percentage, all layers, no problems. Stable ~ 10 fps.

20. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

The area around 128 is definitely suspect. I experienced 3 crashes in a row 2.6 miles north of there while travelling from Boston, and just north of Readville going the other way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

i9 11900k+RTX 3090SLI?

• Like Like x 3
  22. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

This is what my PC is doing during these stalls although for me between 30-90 seconds later the game will restart rather than crash completely, Ive reduced these down by uninstalling then reinstalling onto my SSD rather than HDD but it is still present. A key secton is aprox 2.3 miles from Route 128 stop heading westbound just as the tracks go from 3 tracks to 2 and just before the CSX yard. This is in both directions although worst heading Westbound rather than East.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  23. DTG Matt

Wow the game is literally frezing for 30 to 90 seconds??

Will pass that on!

• Like Like x 3
  24. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Yes. It happens that there is such a variant. I usually wait for the GPU fan to go silent. Then I restart Windows /o\

25. breblimator

breblimator Guest

The last few services went smoothly for me. What have I changed:

Windows Page File 8 >> 16 GB (8 GB RAM)
    Ultra settings, 1920x1080, 100% screen percentage, but with antialiasing turned OFF

I don't even want to wonder if it's a matter of luck.

26. redrev1917

Hi Matt

From 19:52 to 20:42 you can see the game has frozen

From 1:00:42 to 1:01:40 agains the game freezes

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  27. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I’m having no issues at present. Everything on max. Nothing has happened

• Like Like x 1
  28. redrev1917

I'm under no illusion that it will be partly caused by my PC set up, however I didnt have any issues previous to rushhour. I'd be happy just to know what exactly I need to do/upgrade to stop it :)

• Like Like x 1
  29. Glazier

Glazier Member

Getting similar freezes. Even checked Event Viewer for Nvidia driver reset, but no, it is not it :(.

• Like Like x 3
  30. DeJaPa

DeJaPa Member

Me neither. Maybe some micro stuttering but not full freezes like Redrev described.

No edited engine.ini, no fresh install, with mods installed. Maxed out settings and running @ 4k.
    My specs;
    I9 9900K
    32 GB RAM (3000 Mhz)
    RTX 2080
    Windows on (M.2)SSD
    Steam installed on HDD
    TSW2 on separate (M.2)SSD.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  31. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I thought nothing would surprise me anymore. I was wrong. DTG, please fix it, because today it's a 'shame' to recommend this game to someone.

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/train-sim-world-of-madness-66-boston-depot.44140/

I'm so dumbfounded that I'm going to run over this service with AI in a moment - I'm so curious to see what's going to happen.

o m Lord :D

EDIT Now I see. I was unnecessarily trying to be so rational :D

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/northeast-corridor-feedback-thread.42656/page-6#post-360031

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  32. conniethunder

conniethunder Well-Known Member

I mentioned in another thread that there are huge amounts of stutters.
    Has anyone thought that it might just be the new compression level on these dlcs?
    It makes sense if larger swap files are helping the issue - ie, it's RAM related. Maybe less than 32GB leads to issues?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  33. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I have 16GB of RAM and it seems to run fine for me. Didn't notice much stuttering and only had one crash so far - if we don't count the game "crashing" when quiting it.

• Like Like x 2
  34. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I have had zero crashes, neither random nor when quitting the game, since updating. I am still using all my old .ini files, but I do not have any custom liveries installed (unsupported on DX12).

And, at least from my experience, stuttering has been drastically reduced compared to the DX12 experience in 4.23.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  35. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

TrainSim-Matt, there's a suggestion that having repaints causes these crashes for whatever reason. A few of us who were having big problems seem to have no crashes in game since removing them.

Whether these are CSX repaints (which would probably load in the Boston route) or *any* repaints I couldn't say. Over to your DTG engineers!

• Like Like x 1
  36. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

I have 24 GB and the game is running stable for me

• Like Like x 1
  37. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I am back on ultra now. 100% screen percentage, AntiAliasing ON & Razer Cortex because I want to believe \o/
    24 GB PageFile + 8 GB RAM + 4 GB VRAM
    The average fps is ~30 (Razer Cortex info)

The game is using a max of 4 GB of VRAM and 5 GB of RAM *.
    So, if there is a problem somewhere, it is with GPU or with the route itself.

It's been stable since yesterday. Unfortunately, I have to dye my hair. I went gray :)

* unofficial information from testers unrelated to DTG

• Like Like x 1
  38. DTG Matt

If you have ANY community mod's that are not specifically stating they are built for 4.26 then you MUST uninstall them, 4.23 pak files WILL crash your game if the game touches them.

Confirm talking to someone else who was getting a consistent repeatable crash that having uninstalled mods he is now stable.

You will need to wait for the relevant authors to make available 4.26 versions of their work before you can use it again i'm afraid.

Note: Internal livery editor creations are fine, this is just external mods downloaded as PAK files.

• Like Like x 4
  39. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

So I have no mods or changes to my engine.ini and up until yesterday everything was good. Then when I exited the game I got my first crash when exiting the game yesterday.

• Like Like x 2
  40. redrev1917

I've never had any mods or even user customised liveries saved so your smoke and mirrors attempt to deflect blame away from your product onto your customers doesn't wash with me Matt

41. doublefine7

doublefine7 Well-Known Member

Calm down red. Rush Hour is freshly released and it is totally normal for bugs and issues to be present. I am sure they are working on fixes especially for the crashes because CTDs are always very annoying.

I personally drove NEC for like 17 times now and never had a crashes, nevertheless I get UE 4 crash reports when quitting the game.
    CPU: i5-3470
    16 GB Ram
    Nvidia GTX 1050 TI
    All settings on ultra, 4.26 mods and some ini tweaks.

I also noticed that NEC has a much worse performance than older routes in terms of stuttering and freezing.

• Like Like x 5
  42. redrev1917

Perhaps if they didn't try to deflect blame constantly on to others then people would be understanding, firstly it was all Sonys fault for the PS4 mess now it's the customers fault for installing mods which they haven't even installed. Anyone but DTGs fault it seems

• Like Like x 4
  43. doublefine7

Dude, calm down and accept the facts. Stop interpreting stuff the way you want. IF you have mods installed being incompatible, it IS your fault. If not, dont feel talked to. And if Sony messed up the account storage system due to the update, well, then it is Sony's fault. DTG exactly knows that the release of Rush Hour didnt go well and there are and have been enough mistakes. But it isnt constructive to start a mob here. If you didnt do anything wrong, dont feel talked to. Release bugs and issues happen and are totally normal. Stop hate on DTG. Thank you.

• Like Like x 7
  44. FeralKitty

FeralKitty Well-Known Member

I think some of this is based on misunderstanding or misinterpreting a few responses from DTG.

But constantly deflecting blame? There are more posts (or statements on streams) where they’ve stood up and taken responsibility for their mistakes.

• Like Like x 9
  45. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

1) The PS rollout really was Sony's fault. Note that Steam and XBox went pretty smoothly.
    2) A LOT of PC users did not get the memo that old mods would not work, and so left them installed. Their fault, not DTG's (remember, mods, like DX12, are not supported; i.e. "use 'em at your own risk; it isn't our problem if they screw up")

• Like Like x 5
  46. redrev1917

If the mods where the fault of the crashes why are those with no mods and never had mods reporting crashes then? Then there is the whole we don't support DX12 which frankly I don't understand as I thought DX12 was backwards compatible and if it worked pre update are they now saying the new update doesn't work with the backwards compatibility? In which case how do we roll back to the previous version which was?

47. doublefine7

DX 12 has never been supported for the PC version of the game, neither pre-Rush Hour nor now. If you decide to use DX 12 per starting parameters, then you are not able to play if you have custom liveries because DX 12 and custom liveries are not compatible. And crashes happening for people without mods or tweaks should be reported to the customer support and the technical forums here.

• Like Like x 1
  48. redrev1917

I did that and got told to remove mods.....

49. doublefine7

If you dont have mods or ini tweaks, report the crashes to the customer support and the technical forums with a description of when and where it appeared, ideally with the configuration of your PC like CPU and GPU.

• Like Like x 2
  50. redrev1917

Thanks and how do I roll back my DX12 to DX11 then? From everything Ive read online DX12 is meant to be backwards compatible and I shouldnt need to roll back but seemingly for TSW2 I do...

I know I already run CIV in DX11 as it gives me an option on which one I want to use so I most have DX11 already on my PC as well I guess?

No point in going to technical support if I am running DX12 because they will just tell me its not compatible