West Rhine: Cologne - Koblenz

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by matinakbary, Jun 25, 2021.

1. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

I suggest this very popular and scenic route between Cologne and Koblenz. (KBS 470)

Youtube Videos:

Some pics:
    aufgrund-bauarbeiten-an-linken-rheinstrecke-1023151.jpg
    182_529_DGS_43154_Oberwesel_03_07_2015_Christoph_Vitzthum_1024.jpg
    (These pics are not mine)

Conclusion:

This route if perfectly made for TSW:
    • Reasonable route length
    • High Speed trains, regional trains and freight trains share the same tracks --> Good opportunities for layers
    • Many good Loco DLCs are possible
    • Cologne Main Station is already built in TSW
    • DTG built this route in TS, so reseach about the track is done and many 3D Assets can be reused
    • It was a very popular route in TS
    • The route is important for international freight and passenger services
    • Very interesting, changing and beautiful landscape
    • Koblenz Railway museum could be used for the Steam train DLC

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 51
  2. roguejulia

roguejulia New Member

That looks like a really beautiful route. Also the more ICE services the better (in my book). Would be a great addition to TSW2.

And if connecting routes gets possible some time in the future it would already have something to connect which every player has.

• Like Like x 3
  3. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent proposal hear the picture on the bottom is actually your Hamburg-Lübeck MRCE BR182. Which means Hamburg-Lübeck owners can use their MRCE BR182s on this Classic Train simulator 21 route for TSW2. Also during the evening hours ÖBB the combined Euro night Amsterdam Innsbruck Brussels Vienna travel on this route.
    video is by seat 61 of ÖBB Nightjet on West Rhine Railway which is Part of a full Köln Hbf to Wien Hbf trip

• Like Like x 2
  4. matinakbary

Another thought I've just had: The fact that in Koblenz there is a railway museum gives great opportunities: If there ever comes a german steam loco in TSW (or other more historic stuff which could not be placed in currently available timetables), this loco could "live" in the railway museum. It could would be the perfect start/stop point for some railtours.

For example there could be a scenario where you start in cologne main station and drive a railtour to the railway museum in Koblenz. Or you start in Koblenz, drive all the way up to cologne, shunt the loco to the other side of the train and drive back to Koblenz.

Cologne-Koblenz not only has the potential for a great timetable due to layering (BR 146, BR 182, BR 101, ICE3) - a historic loco could be used here without the dependency of a historically set route.

• Like Like x 2
  5. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

I think that we'll see this route one day, maybe even in the next cycle. As long as DTG keeps reusing their TS research (because doing new research is still not easy due to covid) this route seems very likely. I also think it would be reasonably popular with players. I've even thought of suggesting this route myself, but its likelihood to come and the fact it has already been suggested have made me hold off on that.

Even though it would be another modern German double track electrified route, that does seem to be the content people like. The route also does have great, unique and iconic scenery, and the rolling stock has some interesting oppertunities. The ICE 1 will no doubt be very popular, as will the BR 110 with n-Wagen, as both add something well known but unique to the game to this route. The 120 could be a great DLC, and a great oppertunity for getting the cab car in after all (the pack could come with the 120, reused 1st and 2nd class coaches from the 101 DLC, the cab car and perhaps even a dining car) as other coaches can be reused from the 101, thus not requiring extra modelling work.

I would also say there are many more layering oppertunities, definetely when it comes to freight that you have not yet listed. Basically every German freight loco, the DB 185, 182, 155, 143 and maybe even 112 (as those are leased out by DB for freight operations nowadays) and MRCE 185.5 and 182, could be seen here. Some shunting by the 363 could also be added, aswell as ICE 3 layers in addition to the ICE 1 services. Perhaps within the Köln area eithter the 423 from HMA or the 422 from RRO (neither of which is absolutely accurate) could be layered in for some S-bahn services?

And perhaps there is even room for a BR 111 DLC, with 3rd generation Dostos perhaps? Not sure if those run/ran here though, but I vaguely recall seeing them on this route.

Maybe, if this route is not added to the roadmap after Rush Hour, I'll make my own suggestion for it, if you don't mind :).

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  6. matinakbary

Or maybe this is the reason to suggest that one again, as it would be a route that could please everyone: fans of highspeed, regional services, freight, shunting (as you suggest with the 363 - the "new" one from Dresden-Riesa could also have a "home" at the Railway Museum in Koblenz, don't you think?).

And yes you're right - nearly every loco and every kind of train would be fitted for this route.

• Like Like x 3
  7. drahnoel

drahnoel New Member

I wanted to suggest adding the right Rhine route, but then realized that they share in Bonn and there is no connection and DTG will never implement the two threads to Cologne

PS but good suggestion the BR 120 would be Cool

• Like Like x 1
  8. da.virus

da.virus Member

The last two pictures were not made between Cologne-Koblenz but between Koblenz-Frankfurt.
    The first picture shows St.Goarshausen which is on the other side of the Rhein (rechte Rheinstrecke) and south to Koblenz and the last picture is from Oberwesel, even more to the south.

• Like Like x 2
  9. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

I had my suspicions, but wasn't sure.

• Like Like x 1
  10. drnicktgm#1259

drnicktgm#1259 Well-Known Member

That route would be really nice to have, and also the scenery is perfect, and this would be the first really long German route, that we could get, I would like to have trains like the ICE 1 Br401 or ICE 2 Br402 on the route, because these trains fit really perfect on it, and also the IC trains, this route could be the opportunity to get the Steuerwagen for the train

• Like Like x 2
  11. matinakbary

Indeed, yes. As jolojonasgames suggested, they could reuse the IC-Coaches we already have (Avmmz, Bpmmz) and instead of developing new coaches they could use the time to develop the Cab-Car coach with the BR 120. I think DTG said every now and then that a coach needs nearly as much development time as a loco. So they save the time of two coaches (Avmmz, Bpmmz) and develop the Cabcar, which means they need the time for the cab itself + the cabcar coach. So at the end this is nearly the same amount off development as for the BR 101 addon. Of course this is a very simplistic point of view. Getting reference material for the Cabcar is probably a lot of work. So let's see what they plan for the future.
    The route is perfect for nearly every loco you want to have.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Jo_Kim

Jo_Kim Well-Known Member

Just a small note on this suggestion: The suggested route is Köln - Koblenz, while the really scenic part of this line is further south between Koblenz and Bingen (near Mainz). The last two pictures show sections of the section between Koblenz and Bingen and are not part of the route between Koblenz and Köln.

• Like Like x 5
  13. matinakbary

Yes, this was already pointed out before :)

• Like Like x 2
  14. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Yes, exactly. Koblenz-Mainz especially the Rhine gorge north of Bingen is the really good part.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Tom Fresco

Tom Fresco Well-Known Member

Great Suggestion, i travelled over this line a few times in the past weeks, and it would be great to see a part of the rhine valley line in TSW.
    Another layer option could be the 442 for the RB 48 between Köln and Bonn Mehlem, but the Talent would have to be in National express livery, but when the DB operated this line, i think 425s did the services.
    Also there are really a lot of freight trains on this route, which is an international corridor.
    And the route lenght is long, but still reasonable, and express trains (IC/ICE/EC services would take about an hour i think, stopping Services of course more, so this wont be another 30 min route.

• Like Like x 4
  16. matinakbary

Yes it's nearly an hour. And concerning express trains (IC & ICE): This would be the first german routes where the Express/High Speed Trains have an intermediate stop. In Bonn. So this wouldn't just be a route A --> C; but at least A --> B --> C. And I think some IC trains also stop at Remagen and Andernach as well. So especially the IC-trains have a potential for great gameplay.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Köln-Koblenz was one of my favourite routes in Train Simulator. It also was the first route I played, so there's some special memories there. I also enjoyed the suggested BR120, so I'd love to see that loco in TSW as well.

Would be hard to resist instantly buying a Köln-Koblenz DLC, especially when it comes with the BR120. :P

• Like Like x 4
  18. Coppo

Coppo Well-Known Member

Routes based around Koblenz would be great.
    However, my preference would be Koblenz - Mainz, but to make it worthwhile it would need to have both lines along the Rhine modelled because you can easily see the trains on the opposite bank when travelling along the route.
    Plus, to add to the atmosphere, you'd need to model the river traffic as well, since it is DSCN6240.JPG quite intensive.

• Like Like x 4
  19. solicitr

You're right; it would be a new challenge for DTG because I don't think they have done moving boats to date

• Like Like x 2
  20. matinakbary

I mean, do really both rhine sides have to be modelled? Sure, it would be extremly cool. But in TS the right side is also not modelled on Cologne - Koblenz. And the route still is very much loved. I think some "static" tracks like in Rapid Transit on the Leipzig Hbf area would be sufficient. Maybe even placing some static train assets would be possible.

• Like Like x 3
  21. matinakbary

• Like Like x 1
  22. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

Go to Koblenz, so going to Frankfurt is a more correct choice

• Like Like x 1
  23. matinakbary

Excuse me, what?

• Like Like x 1
  24. matinakbary

I hope this isn't considered necroposting. I found some more interesting videos that I wanted to share:

And with that I also suggest (maybe as a loco-DLC) the BR 462 Siemens Desiro-HC. As you can see in this video these trains drive on the RE 5 RRX line and are operated by National Express or Abellio. Not sure who of these two is in charge of this line. Of course, if this route is dated a little bit back, then one could argue that the Dostos and the BR 146 are sufficient.Or even if you want a more historical focus on that route, the n-Wagen would be fine as well.

Speaking of layers, of course the Dresden-Riesa locos could be very well layered into this route. Especially the BR 146 and the BR 185.5 for freight. The Cologne-Aachen Talent 2 as well. Both ICE's we have in game. And for sure all the other locos that could be used for freigh services as subtitutions.
    Ebene-2-1110x624.jpg

And the upcoming BR 187 could be perfectly layered in into this route.

• Like Like x 5
  25. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

I mean Cologne to Frankfurt

• Like Like x 1
  26. solicitr

It certainly would be a pragmatic move for DTG to build a Desiro, since variants of it run all over both Germany and Britain.

• Like Like x 1
  27. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

No.
    I don’t need another German route just now.
    We need more variety first.

This route can wait, no matter how scenic.

Italy next!

• Like Like x 1
  28. matinakbary

You know, you could just do your own suggestion for an italian route, right?

• Like Like x 3
  29. drnicktgm#1259

drnicktgm#1259 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the thing is it's hard for DTG to add a new country because they usually work with American, British and German safety and signaling systems, France is something different because they have already worked with it on the LGV route, but new countrys would mean more time to research and to create

• Like Like x 2
  30. matinakbary

Also some international locos like the BR 189 can be seen on this route as it is one of the most important freight corridors in the EU. A loco, which could be reused on a "foreign" route, if the safety systems are implemented.

• Like Like x 2
  31. Tom Fresco

Well, now this route would be even greater, closing the gap between SKA and Left Rhine, making Aachen- Mainz runs with a direction change at Köln Hbf possible.
    It could be set in roughly the same time period as Koblenz Mainz, so that stock could be reused and a 120 and a cab car as new stock :)

Or as a modern route, featuring a Desiro HC or also a 120 with IC cab car.

• Like Like x 2
  32. Tom Fresco

Well, see how that turned out :)

• Like Like x 1
  33. erwin72618

erwin72618 Member

As a supporter of the Cologne - Koblenz route, an excellent suggestion!

• Like Like x 1