What A Great Job The Preserved Team Have Done With Wsr.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Rob39, Aug 23, 2021.

1. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Track improvement. Traffic, Automated crossings, including bespoke ones. Updated skybox, New service mode. British stock appropriate for WSR being well placed in key areas. Extra services including one specific for a DMU (101). Then the icing on the cake, decided to take the NTP 47 out for a run and thats been improved. Again what a fantastic job, thankyou. I'll leave some examples of the fun to be had with this DLC now. Livery function (class 40) Most of the UK Diesel DLC. Driving as far as Crowcombe Heathfield stopped opposite the Minehead 101 service. I've saved that situation so that after Ive completed my run to Bishops Lydeard. I'll resume and take over that 101. Screenshot (591).png Screenshot (608).png Screenshot (609).png

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 38
  2. ShodanCat

ShodanCat Member

What are all the DLCs that layer on top of WSR now? I'll have to get it all during the next big sale

Also I really hope this is a sign of improvements to come to other routes in the future!

3. lucas_5_5

lucas_5_5 Well-Known Member

you
    You need NTP for sure.

4. mldaureol2

mldaureol2 Well-Known Member

Also you need NTP and TVL as well.
    Mike.

• Like Like x 1
  5. penguinmatt#1924

penguinmatt#1924 Active Member

I agree, they've done a great job on it. I do like the fact that if you spawn on foot at Washford you can take the Class 08 that seems to always be parked there for a spin in the small yard and shunt the vans around.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I must fire this up for a spin!

• Like Like x 1
  7. thundergaming11

thundergaming11 Well-Known Member

I've yet to try myself yet but watching Matt play it, it looks really good! I used to dread driving this route but now I'm looking forward to it. Well done to Adam and his crew :cool: I hope we can get more variety like this in other routes

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Totally forgot to try this over the weekend. After playing East Coastway and some German Routes, I got distracted by TS2021 and the Parallel Run scenario Jamie did. on Friday‘s stream. I‘ll give WSR a try tonight.

9. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It’s great. I took the Class 101 for a spin and marvelled at the spectacle of seeing a lot of different locos everywhere. I didn’t see the same loco twice, every one on the route was a different loco. Seeing the level crossing gates closing across the track was a treat. Simple things that make you happy. I’m looking forward to doing all the services each in a different loco.

• Like Like x 6
  10. montes_1234

montes_1234 Well-Known Member

Now its better route. For me beside graphics and sounds single most important thing is immersion. And to be fully immersed there should be a good working signage along the line. Not artificial red signals just not to have all greens. This route have simpler signaling system compared to other routes, and it seem to be working properly.

11. Skyz2020

Skyz2020 Well-Known Member

Thank you, which locos outside of 40 now have Livery designer? Does the 52 for example?

12. mariussoare_84

mariussoare_84 Well-Known Member

I agree. West Somerset is an enjoyable railway now more than before. It feels more alive and diverse.
    I only bought it about two weeks ahead of the summer update so I played the tutorials and made 2-3 runs before I decided to wait for the changes to be made live.

Unfortunately, it's not all good despite the attention it received from the preservation team:

1. The [MD4] scenario still requires the doors to be open on the opposite side of the station to count towards the objective.
    2. Some textures behave oddly even at a close distance:
    The first coach shows some textures that disappear when I get a few steps closer to it, see next image

This can be observed on the top of the next coach but not on the one behind it, I guess it depends on the player position relative to it

3. Locomotive (class 09 shunter) and coach buffers don't seem to have collision boxes and instead one goes into the other looking unrealistic:

4. I had several out-of-the-blue wheel slips and the locomotive behaved as if it hit something and jumped. They only last for a second and happened during a part where this shouldn't have occurred as I was at cruising speed, with no acceleration or deceleration.

It's the only route I played on since the update as I am in a chill mood. Hopefully, these issues will be addressed as well.

I almost forgot. My game still crashes at exit.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

Yes, the people who made this route really managed to create a v good representation of the British countryside, it just feels right, the types of vegetation used is placed v well. Plus the lighting seems to be v good in this route. Hopefully L2B will be of the same standard.

14. Rutger Luiten

Rutger Luiten Active Member

The problem with the buffers is with all Mk1 and Mk 2 coaches, typical DTG quality.

• Like Like x 1
  15. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

It's brilliant how much Adam and team have improved the route. Finally the sidings are full of rolling stock (and, my favourite part - you can finally do your own little shunting demo at Washford!).

The 101 DMU is great as well, really suits the relaxed nature of the route. The only thing I'd maybe add is a single 'railtour' Class 43 GWR from Norton Fitzwarren to Minehead and out again as they've done a few times. But really that's the cherry on the icing on what is now a pretty substantial and worthy cake!

• Like Like x 6
  16. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Definitely the best PresCrew work to date. The route feels a lot busier as you normally meet about 3 trains during your run now.

And I can't stress enough how much I enjoy the 101 here. It is interesting to drive on other routes, but here it's simply a pleasure. You don't fight with the schedule the whole time, there's plenty of time to get to the next stop, usually gear 1 or 2 and you use speeds where brakes behave fine. I didn't even mind the 25 mph limit here.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  17. Skyz2020

Hello monder, good post, have you found out yet how many of the WSR are in Livery designer? I have read reports of class 40 only? Is the 33 on it yet?

18. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I love the improved WSR. Yes, there may be more issues, but let's appreciate the improvement.

19. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Love the big BR logo livery in picture 1 Rob39

• Like Like x 2
  20. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I don't have Class 33 yet, WSR was not that high in my ranking, but I might consider getting it now. As for the rest - I think it's heavy freight pack stuff and Class 52 (the WSR one).

• Like Like x 1
  21. mattwild55

Has anyone else seen a Class 33 or 52 spawn on any of the AI trains yet? I haven't seen a single one and I've booted the route up a few times now since the update. I'm only seeing the Green 47 from the original WSR pack plus any of the NTP trains.

I've also not seen the Class 20 sub in for the 09 at any point even though it should be able to.

I know I can always select the train from the menu if I want to drive it, but I like spawning on foot and then grabbing the first train that happens to come by.

22. TrainSim-Adam

TrainSim-Adam Staff Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have passed it onto the team.

WRT some of the noted items:
    HST RailTour - We tried hard with several approaches to get this implemented, but the timetable fought back at every turn.
    Wrong side doors on service MD4 - Can any more details be given about the setup/train being used? Is it all stations or select ones?
    The buffers do all have collision to their plates, and take into account that between Buckeye and Screw-Link their position changes.

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  23. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

the only thing stopping me from enjoying the new WSR is the broken sounds on the Class 20 - anything over 20mph is incredibly painful to listen to, its like a muffled peaking noise.

24. mattwild55

Has anyone else noticed that the Class 09 doesn't have animated exhaust fumes until you get in to drive it? There's just a static plume above the exhaust. Hard to show in a picture but the below exhaust is totally static.

upload_2021-8-23_16-54-47.png

• Like Like x 2
  25. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

yes i like WSR the only things id like to see put into it is the steam shed a Bishops lydyard and the Castle at Dunster which can be seen from the train or coaches when approaching Dunster and after all its the main tourist attraction on this route alongside Butlins at Minehead.
    Well done to Adam and his team.

I thing i have noticed, coming from minehead direction approaching crowcombe there should be a line speed drop from 25 mph to 20 mph this does not happen and needs looking at. the line speed drop sing is there but does not drop on the hud

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  26. Skyz2020

Excellent thank you

27. Skyz2020

Thank you Adam. Is the class 33 now Livery designer ready and included with patch 1.43 or is that coming with london to brighton?

• Like Like x 1
  28. mariussoare_84

Hi Adam, thank you for jumping in and providing your input.
    Thank you for your team's hard work on making WSR an even better place to drive trains in.

I looked up the information regarding the [MD4] run. This can be also found in the journey mode of WSR.
    The start time is 13:15 and goes from Minehead to Bishops Lydeard.

Stops on the way are:
    Blue Anchor
    Watchet
    Williton up
    Crowcombe Heathfield loop
    Bishops Lydeard up

The run is with the class 09 shunter in reverse so I guess the left and the right sides are connected to the direction this locomotive is facing.
    I tried opening the doors using Y/U keys as well as pressing the tab key, the result is the same.
    I also submitted a Kayako ticket last Friday about it.

In regards to the buffer aspect, I've seen it present all the time so far (in movement, while stopped) on both class 47 and the 09. I haven't tried class 52 yet.

29. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Not the WSR 52 unfortunately. The heavy freight pack. So as fair as WSR is concerned for service mode. That means the Class 40, and 12t Van (although not sure it spawns).

30. Skyz2020

Thank you, looking forward to 52 and 33

31. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

TrainSim-Adam Hi Adam i would like to say thank you and your team for putting so much work and care into this game, and really support this community. I really appreciated what you and your team are doing. I do sill found a bug in one of the route which is the hauptstrecke rhein ruhr line. In one of the scenario or journey mode, which i think its the second one, i can't continue my route due to a red signal ahead of me, i check the map to see if there was any train occupy, but there wasn't. Can you please look into this with the team and see if there are any other bugs that need to be fix. Thank you Again Adam, you and your team are wonderful and the best :)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  32. OldVern

Had a little run last night after finishing a contract in Snowrunner and yes it is much better. A nice route for relaxing before bedtime. Now all we need is a Class 35 Hymek and a Class 43 Warship, that would be a DLC well worth paying for.

• Like Like x 5
  33. montes_1234

Great route. More single track routes please. Does anybody knows are on WSR all available trains represented by the ai?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
  34. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

They appear in various places around the route, also pretty sure all locos are in the mix for passing ai trains too. The only exception would be the 12t Van thats static and there for added interest.

• Like Like x 1
  35. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

I have thoroughly enjoyed this route with the new updates. The gate swing on the crossing is sweeeet. It’s Art.

As others have said the 101 is so suited to this route. I’ve tried it on the scenario planner but inside the newly full timetable it’s just perfect. You can feel the gradients acting in it much more than the other locos and you can be lighter in the brakes and truly control that thing. Best run I’ve had in months.

Everything you’d expect to see at a diesel gala is really running on the line. (I hope when steam locos eventually arrive a similar gala timetable might be done if the stock is enough for it.)

There were no duplicates running, and Yes the 33 was run by AI. And the road traffic even added some distance away really lifts the atmosphere.

Someone really cares about this route and it shows. thanks Adam, thanks team.

• Like Like x 9
  36. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

Any chance the Class 52 can be moved slightly off the turntable or remove the invisible barrier so we can get access to it, I know it's only driving it a few yards but it's something else to do whilst waiting.

• Like Like x 2
  37. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

Crossing all fingers and toes, the route has become a gem. When available it’ll definitely soothe the recent update frustrations.

• Like Like x 1
  38. montes_1234

It is great. However would be even better if stationary locos were turned off.

• Like Like x 2
  39. OldVern

Spent some more time on the WSR in the 101 just now and yes it is really great. I wonder if the physics have been given some love, as noted above braking seems more gradual and controllable. I love the flange squeal sound going through tight pointwork too, that seems new. The only thing I would be so bold to suggest, is that the 101 engine sounds need a bit of love. They really haven’t got that distinctive MetCamm whine, sound more like a truck engine.

40. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I still find the Green 47 a mare to drive.

It’s impossible to maintain a set speed on a consistent upward incline. The amps and speed will either drop off and you slow down or they’ll suddenly surge and take you over the speed limit. It’s extremely noticeable on the Preparation scenario when taking her to Bishops to start the day.

On a consistent downward incline, the straight brake holds a constant speed no problem. It wasn’t like this in TSW 2020 and the Blue 47 doesn’t do it either.

Other than that and some tight timetable timings for a relaxed heritage railway, the route is gorgeous.

• Like Like x 3
  41. mariussoare_84

I would like to point out two other things that I've noticed today:

1. Some of the passengers that get off at Williton get stuck at one of the gates. If other passengers come behind him they move to try to find an empty path but if there is no one behind the one that got stuck it will remain there for a much longer period. The on circled was first, got stuck, and then the other two arrived at which point they found a way to continue around the gate.
    20210825172849_1.jpg

2. Normally the wheels of locomotives that are in regular use don't look rusty on the part that makes contact with the tracks. In class 47 the wheels appear as they belong to an old, unused locomotive while the wheels of the coaches show that they are in use daily.

Coach wheels:
    20210825165933_1.jpg

Locomotive wheels:
    20210825165941_1.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  42. TerryBalldriver

TerryBalldriver Member

Great job by the preserve crew. Noticed some chalk boards at some stations, were they there before? or will there be passenger information in the future....?
    I only tried one timetable run in the class 33 the 10.15 from Bishops to Minehead. Came to an end when both me and the 101 AI train going the other way got stuck on reds at Blue Anchor, gates stayed closed for me and the points didn't change for the 101 when it left the platform. Maybe a one off!
    Enjoyed using my Track IR for the first time, more immersive.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
  43. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Adam and his team.
    When you've got something to look at, pootling along at 25mph is not so bad.

Now after static sheep, cows and tractors could we have a few wild hominids to enhance the scenery?

• Like Like x 1
  44. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

I've just completed first service since the patch and I have to say, big thanks to the preservation crew, your brought the route back to life for me :)

45. lukereynolds1

lukereynolds1 Well-Known Member

I completely agree with you on that. Having travelled on this route as a kid, seeing Dunster Castle on the hillside was always a moment of excitement. Just as with Bakerloo and the London landmarks, Dunster Castle and Butlins are key landmarks. I hope they get added at some point, considering their prominence on a route that is generally rural.

• Like Like x 1
  46. TerryBalldriver

TerryBalldriver Member

Completed this timetable run, no problem. I think last time was because I loaded last checkpoint.