Is It Really That Bad?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by carl15, Aug 24, 2021.

1. carl15

carl15 New Member

To be honest I don’t really see this latest update as an issue for me and probably not for a lot of other TSW fans. Yes things have not worked out as planned, but DTG are working alongside sony to resolve this as fast as possible. These things happen. They are a fantastic team that’s passionate about what they do, let’s try to support them instead of shooting them down at every opportunity. If it came down to loosing your progress, then is it really that bad? I will happily replay these routes again because I really enjoy them. Don’t worry it will get sorted at some point.

• Like Like x 20
  2. diamondderp

diamondderp Guest

I also don't have problems with this mess. What I do have problems with the people that are DTG bashing. There is no need for it, they are fixing it. If you don't wan't to be fixed, fine, just go on with bashing.

• Like Like x 12
  3. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Indeed. The rollout was an utter shambles and I was quick to voice that when the game was crashing and genuinely unplayable, but they rolled out the fix within 48 hours so that several routes were available with no problems and communication has actually been quite regular and clear (and a huge improvement on the customer engagement this forum saw a couple of years ago).

They clearly bit off more than they could chew with the combined update / new platform / new release rollout and will doubtless have lengthy internal discussions about what went wrong, but they're obviously working hard to reinstate all of the content and make it right.

The recent blizzard of forum snowflakes think the world revolves around them personally and want everything yesterday, but a short wait won't hurt them. Give the devs time to sort it out and we'll all have a better product at the end of it :)

• Like Like x 7
  4. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’m quick to criticise DTG when they make annoying mistakes and errors with things and this rollout was far from ideal for a lot of players, but things do go wrong. The important thing is what is done to put things right. DTG has clearly been working hard to get people up and running again and I have no doubt they want everyone to be able to play and enjoy the game as quickly as possible. Looking at it from an impartial perspective (fortunately I wasn’t affected) I think DTG has been open and honest, apologetic and humbled by this issue. It’ll be put right.

• Like Like x 9
  5. phillip.good

phillip.good Well-Known Member

Totally agree, it was a shambles and I am lucky in that I had a very busy weekend so have been able to walk away for 5 days. I booted up my PS4 last night for the first time since thursday’s update and stuff seems to be there and functional ( haven’t tried everything) so it seems that unintentional patience may have been an indirect virtue! Keep going at the fixes DTG as there is so much more to do to win some trust back I suspect

• Like Like x 4
  6. goochdog#5870

goochdog#5870 Well-Known Member

I agree lol with the op . Yes the whole thing is a pain but DTG obvious care about the product and it’s users . You only have to look at streams . It’s a game that you can’t play some of the routes on . Go play another route or do something else for a few days . Talk about First World Problems ! People talking about suing DTG and others surprised that it’s not all over the media :o seriously ?
    Someone was on here complaining about how bad the Railfan tv and how they hate it . But it seems they still watch it all the time . If you dislike it so much then why watch it? Same as those saying they think the game has been rubbish for a while but still by DLCs .
    I bet these are the same people that moan on the streams that the volume is too loud followed by someone else a few minutes later saying the volume is too soft and then proceed to ask a question that they know damn well would have been answered at the start of the stream but ask it anyway . These people are the type of people that make people leave a pub en masse

• Like Like x 5
  7. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

I assume then that you're happy to either recieve substandard products you've paid for or be denied access to them?

• Like Like x 7
  8. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

That’s a bad assumption. Where did anyone say that?

Everyone is agreeing this was a bad situation. Some people are giving DTG a chance to put it right. Others are being more vocal.

Nobody wants this situation, but shouting at DTG, calling them liars and threatening legal action as some are doing, isn’t going to fix it any quicker.

• Like Like x 7
  9. goochdog#5870

Yawn
    Who is saying that ? no one

• Like Like x 4
  10. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I'm sure there are people that are not bothered by the download issues, and I personally wouldn't. AFAIK the only problem with PS has been the downloads, for xbox the situation is not quite as simple (as usual).

While I don't think anyone that has been supporting this game for long doubts about DTG's intention, it's fully in our rights to complain when an update turns a decent game into a annoying mess of low-LOD texture popping and white flashes. And it's not just a matter of waiting until it gets resolved, because they haven't even acknowledged the problem.

A similar story for the UI. If people don't like it it's right to give feedback. I've been guilty of writing things I shouldn't because of frustration
    But there is no excuse, no reason to roll out an update in this state. If they couldn't fix the problems in time just release it in September. And again, I'm not talking about download issues.

And I'm tired about hearing about them having internal discussion and improving, because the trend is clearly going down in quality of releases. Remember how for HHL they emphasized the importance of making sure they wouldn't have messed up releases? And how they were talking internally? How about over-promising and under delivering? How about a DLC all focuses about having a lot of traffic and then having literally traffic jams and trains blocked and unable to get a path to the destination?

While it's not right to attack them directly and saying they are bad people (because they aren't, and as you said I'm sure they took decision for our best interests) we have all of the reasons in the world to complain about this update, especially when this time there hasn't been the option of "not buying it" there is no way to roll back to 4.23.

And if the update was delayed (as it should have been - at least on XBOX) there would have been no reason to bear with them until they bring the game back to an enjoyable state.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Christopher75

Christopher75 New Member

I am saying.
    This is second game where DTG can't create game without problems. Maybe company should change developers.
    TSW 2020 - problem with trophies not resolved, but the took the money. That is not faur.
    Now, update which is broken everything.

When the problem will be resolve, I can''t play with LIRR even after reinstall game.

• Like Like x 2
  12. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

Yes seriously! As the player that brought that up I was genuinely interested why it was a story that wasn’t picked up by some aspect of the media.You personally might not think it’s news worthy or a big deal because TSW is a niche game but I happen to think that when something like this happens whereby people who have paid quite a lot of money for individual dlc’s, suddenly find they’ve gone, are unusable, might accidentally get recharged for them, or possibly might not even get them back? ( We are still currently without a fix days after this happened ) it might possibly have been of interest to a general news reading person above and beyond the TSW game. Message boards exist to discuss whatever we feel we would like to ( In the case of this MB things to do with TSW ) but it’s people like you with your high and mighty how stupid are you to to bring that up attitude that prevents people bringing up things they would like to discuss because they genuinely wonder about something and thus feel prevented from fully engaging in a particular online community.

[edit by Protagonist - no need to abuse those who disagree with you]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I can see why people would get annoyed, especially given the people who are most affected from what I can see are those who were affected between TSW2020 and TSW2 (disc owners and deluxe edition owners) and PS people in general. You know, the ones who aren't getting all the layers on certain routes because they're not optimised for that platform...

DTG have a history of pushing out software upgrades in weird fashions which causes license issues time and again and people will rightly call them out on it when it happens. Unfortunately there's only one person in the community "crew" who seems to be able to put their head above the parapet and be absolutely straight and that's Matt.

• Like Like x 2
  14. shhweeet#4292

But it was perfectly ok for me to have to put up with various forms of abuse and general skitting from those who disagreed with me that I received within the actual thread that I started about it and the indirect finger pointing abuse Ive just read via the poster in this thread.

• Like Like x 1
  15. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

If there is a thread you feel needs our attention, please report it and we will review.

• Like Like x 1
  16. rustyknight07

rustyknight07 Member

One can only assume that those above who think this isn't a problem aren't people who have a PS4/5 and a game which, until last week, worked perfectly well with all the DLC they've purchased. Maybe if you had spent a £200 or more on DLC and found that now you can't even use it you wouldn't be so happy!

• Like Like x 1
  17. goochdog#5870

Considering this is on the PlayStation discussion group I think you should assume again. I also have 19 DLCs but can’t use all of them at the moment. Like me you can play one of the others that can be played for now,play another game or turn the ps of and do something else . if this was going on for a month or so and DTG didn’t give a monkeys then I would feel different.

• Like Like x 5
  18. goochdog#5870

What aspect of the media do you think would pick it up and those reading it and not affected would find interesting ?
    Seriously, there has never been a remote chance that we would ever lose all of the DLCs that’s ridiculous and such an overreaction. To be honest, if that happened then THAT would be newsworthy but it’s not and never has been a possibility.
    I agree that this forum is for discussion on all things TSW and that’s exactly what I’m doing . Nothing high and mighty in my posts like you I am stating an opinion . I doubt that anyone would stop posting because of my post that stated my point of view . People are more likely to stop posting when they receive unwarranted abuse on here , don’t you ?

• Like Like x 4
  19. shhweeet#4292

Tbh I’m not in the business of reporting things. People / players are entitled to disagree with me how they want. I’ve been around long enough to expect it especially if your prepared to stand behind your personal view point. Having said that if it happens to me then I fully expect to be able to give exactly the same back in return.

I do understand being a mod is a difficult fine balance though.

20. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

The season pass does not contain the download, once you have purchased the season pass you need to go to the Boston Sprinter route and download that, it should show as free on the PS Store. This is fairly normal season pass behavior tbh.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. DANtheWALLY

DANtheWALLY Active Member

Completely agree. They really deserve more respect. I imagine they've been rushed off their feet the last few days trying to sort everything.

• Like Like x 4
  22. AGoodJudge2

AGoodJudge2 Active Member

If they hadn't rushed themselves off their feet to meet a self-imposed release deadline and checked what they were releasing more carefully, they wouldn't have anything to sort out now.

• Like Like x 2
  23. ARuscoe

There's no proof that this has any impact on the current issues. If it were a basic error then it would affect all platforms and all versions on all platforms. It hasn't so we can assume it's not a simple thing (or simple fix)

• Like Like x 2
  24. Factor41

I don't know what you do for a living, but I think the editors of news outlets might be best placed to know whether their readership would be interested in the story you're selling:

DISASTER AT DOVETAIL!
    A small selection of gamers have been distraught at only being able to access some, but not all, of the DLC they bought for a niche train sim. This Earth-shattering problem has persisted so far for... LESS THAN A WEEK! DTG were unavailable for comment because they're, y'know, busy fixing it...

Riveting. Definitely front page national news. Or at least a small story on page 57 of Railfan Monthly. In the next issue. Maybe. If everyone hasn't got the fix and forgotten about it by then.

• Like Like x 9
  25. ARuscoe

Certainly less news worthy than McDonalds running out of milkshake mix or Nandos running out of chicken...

• Like Like x 3
  26. Factor41

I very much enjoyed that period when KFC changed their UK delivery partner and actually did run out of chicken. Their PR department was turning out absolute comedy gold.

kfc-apology.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  27. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

I really found it strange that the news opened today with Afghanistan and not with what happened with tsw on the ps4.

• Like Like x 7
  28. leelarner

leelarner New Member

that's not something to joke about people are losing their lives which should always come above and beyond a video game

• Like Like x 1
  29. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

I see that there are those who find it difficult to understand the meaning of "irony".

• Like Like x 11
  30. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Guest

I'm saying as well.
    After everything that's gone on beforehand you would have at the very least thought that some these supposed "lessons to be learned" we're constantly hearing about in the 'holding our hands up' sections of the streams would have been acted upon by now but the harsh reality is that they haven't - and no matter which side of the fence you have placed yourself on that has to be seen as an ongoing concern which simply cannot/should not be overlooked when discussing or defending the merits of Dovetail games.
    It's kind of strange but such is the way that things seem to operate in Dovetail-ville you can't help but feel that Matt enjoys looking awkward and uncomfortable....or Sam thrives on doing his Jekyl and Hyde thing...or Adam is in his element preaching to everybody how bad DTG are during these three way streams - not because they're a bunch of masochists or anything but because to them it's just, well, a normal day at the office and it's in fact us, a weird bunch of trainiacs, who are completely misinterpreting the way things ought to be! :cool:

But back on a more serious note; to answer the op's question: "yes, it really is that bad". This isn't an issue that has targeted a specific console or generation of console, this is an issue that has taken no prisoners whatsoever and whilst some will thankfully be starting to see light at the end of there respective tunnels, given DTG's lackadaisical approach to the bug fixing side of things others may not be as lucky...so yeah, people have every right to be as vocal as they see fit. Maybe not so much in the over-enthusiastic manner that some of the crowd have adopted but certainly in a way that hammers your point home.

It's ok sing about how much you despise a certain team in red but not to the extent where aeroplanes are mentioned, so to speak.

Oh and "respect"? That's not a gimme or a freebie - that's a word that has to be earned.....

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  31. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see this on the news tonight :o

• Like Like x 2
  32. Gav

Gav Active Member

Which DTG staff member are you Carl?

• Like Like x 1
  33. AGoodJudge2

AGoodJudge2 Active Member

The light at the end of the tunnel? Probably a poorly-rendered train.

• Like Like x 3
  34. Birita

Birita Well-Known Member

100% Agreed! Spot on!

• Like Like x 1
  35. shhweeet#4292

Well it would certainly be a dam sight more interesting to a lot of people rather than them having to read about the latest me me me exploits of Love Island contestants or which C list celebrities have joined Twitter or whatever to bang on about yet more climate change / race issues.

But hey! each to their own eh. ;)

• Like Like x 6
  36. Factor41

On that, I think we all agree! :D

• Like Like x 5
  37. stephen220378

stephen220378 Active Member

If i take my car to a garage for a service I expect it to be returned in better condition than before. What I wouldn't expect the mechanics to say when I came to collect it is "We've actually broke your car but we'll do our best to fix it but we've no idea when, phone us every day to check though, our bad"

38. Factor41

But if you asked them to fit an upgrade and they did, and then discovered something that would make you crash, you'd want them to fix that. And if, in very quick time, they made sure you wouldn't crash, but in doing so, a couple of your radio stations stopped working, you'd want that fixed too. But if they couldn't do it immediately, you'd probably just listen to another radio station for a while, then go back to your favourite after they'd sorted the problem. Because you're a reasonable person with other priorities, and absolutely not some sort of petulant child. Brilliant story. Let's move on.

• Like Like x 5
  39. stephen220378

I'd think they're incompetent at their job for causing another problem no matter what it was.

40. polygons#3287

polygons#3287 Member

The amount of ridiculous analogies people come up with is inversely proportional to their age. I’m guessing you’re 12.

• Like Like x 4
  41. goochdog#5870

Yeah comparing buying a car with some DLC for a game. Incredible. First world problems

• Like Like x 1
  42. kobo

kobo Active Member

i think i should start getting popcorn every time i come over here. i don't care if you find this offensive or not, but I'm starting to laugh a lot at how stupid and idiotic all of the children are on here. Makes my day so much better knowing I'm not the stupidest person here.

• Like Like x 5
  43. goochdog#5870

It’s fun but they are probably all in bed now

• Like Like x 2
  44. Hidden Donkey

Hidden Donkey Active Member

amazeballs

join the party we have soda too

• Like Like x 2
  45. stephen220378

Well you guessed wrong and your humour is ridiculous....

46. polygons#3287

polygons#3287 Member

Careful, you never want to hand over the sceptre too soon.

47. shhweeet#4292

So you admit you are stupid then ;)

• Like Like x 1
  48. Hidden Donkey

Hidden Donkey Active Member

no they are saying evry one else is stupid

49. moofeen#2182

moofeen#2182 Active Member

50. moofeen#2182

moofeen#2182 Active Member

The joke was funny but what’s actually happening in Afghanistan is really not funny