Further Legal Action And Consumer Rights Act

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Vinnie, Aug 23, 2021.

1. Vinnie

Vinnie Well-Known Member

If DTG takes to long to solve all the problems in the next couple days you could ask for a refund and keep your digital content.

As follows: (for UK citizens)
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/c...-tv/problem-with-an-app-software-or-download/

For customers outside UK I highly advise you to check your local laws for digital content.
    I Also advise players willing to take further legal action against DTG to create a local group on another platform.

The launch of "Rush hour" and especially the update associated with is an exceptional case and should be treated as one.
    Digital content should be tested and taken seriously and responsibly when you're dealing with people's money and good will over your (in this case especially faulty) software.

• Like Like x 2
  2. ianjpoole

ianjpoole Active Member

But surely then IF, big IF, we ask for a refund, we keep the content we own for free, that is going to open up another can of worms?

• Like Like x 1
  3. polygons#3287

polygons#3287 Member

Yep… super toxic. I’m sure there will be no shortage of lawyers willing to take a $3000 retainer for this case. Time to get a grip.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’m not sure legal action would work. Software is not without faults. It’s not even a week since the problem arose either. Hardly much time to fix anything never mind test and release.

• Like Like x 4
  5. kevin.charb81

kevin.charb81 Well-Known Member

Your priorities are out of whack.

• Like Like x 2
  6. polygons#3287

polygons#3287 Member

It definitely won’t work, that’s why lawyers will happily accept your money.

• Like Like x 1
  7. apophis55

apophis55 Active Member

It would be funny if it wasn't so sad. I feel for you. How empty your life must be.

• Like Like x 2
  8. kevin.charb81

kevin.charb81 Well-Known Member

Not to mention for a fraction of the cost of retaining counsel over this non-sense, OP could just buy a next gen-console...

• Like Like x 3
  9. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

Please keep this civil, folks. There's no harm in players discussing their legal rights.

• Like Like x 1
  10. polygons#3287

polygons#3287 Member

.. or lack of.

• Like Like x 1
  11. emperorts#8304

emperorts#8304 New Member

well their does not appear to have been much "testing" ahead of the last update, so not sure we need to account for that...

12. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Oh good lord yet another thread!!

A quote from the linked article in the OP
    Do you think anyone who's been posting have given DTG/Sony reasonable time? It's only been a few days. I suppose it's the age we live in, everyone wants everything now!

To organise riots in the streets and perhaps storm the gates of DTG?

It's very strange what a few days of not being able to play at being a train driver on SOME of their routes does to people.

• Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. polygons#3287

polygons#3287 Member

I think Vinnie’s writing the screenplay for “My Cousin Vinny 2”

14. polygons#3287

polygons#3287 Member

Guaranteed most of the routes they hadn’t touched for months.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Nielsen

Nielsen Well-Known Member

DTG is actively trying to help us sort this out. Legal action usually revolves around conflicting standpoints.

• Like Like x 6
  16. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Definitely. DTG got the first patch out within a couple of days which solved the persistent crashing issue and you can now play several routes quite happily on PS4. But the snowflakes must have AAAAALLL the preciousssss. They spents their pocketmoneys on the preciousssss and wants to looks at it in the lisssstsss.

Cool yer jets, guys! Have a play on Bakerloo for a bit. It's quite nice if you run the overground bits. ;)

• Like Like x 11
  17. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

When you buy my DLC's, Then you can tell me how to react.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

Unrelated, but this has made me remember one time when I was working in retail.I had a customer come up to me looking to refund an item whilst waving a printed copy of consumer rights law in my face.

All well and good but our standard guarantee was one year from the point of purchase and as her receipt showed she had purchased the item over a year ago. I explained to her that we could not refund the product as it was not within the guarantee and that we offer extra product care at the point of purchase which would have covered this eventuality.

She was having none of it and started reading bits off her printed paper, before demanding to speak to a manager, to which I happily obliged and stood smugly behind my manager as she told the lady the exact same thing that I did at which point the lady finally got the message and promptly left.

As I said not really relevant, so... trains I guess.

Anyway, hopefully, this gets resolved soon, it does all sound rather frustrating for you folks.

19. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Consumer rights and getting companies to comply with them are two different things. Your consumer rights in the UK extend longer than manufacturer’s warranties and usually beyond the extended warranties retailers try to sell you. They aren’t warranties, they are insurance schemes, so don’t affect consumer rights at all. For items that are reasonably expected to last for a long time, it is usually around six years before the onus shifts from the manufacturer or retailer having to prove something is working adequately or was broken by misuse to the consumer having to prove it is not of sufficient quality. Apple will just replace a faulty macbook pro under this six year rule without you even having to ask, without you having AppleCare or whatever it’s called. Practically everywhere else you will have to fight for those rights but they do exist.

If you buy a sofa with a three year guarantee and it collapses under you after four years, you can still insist on a repair or a replacement. If the manufacturer wants you to go to court about it they would have to prove that you damaged it by misuse or accident to be able to get away without replacing it. That is how consumer rights work in the UK because a sofa would reasonably be expected to last a decade or more under normal use, even a cheap one. Most people would just chuck it away and buy another because it’s less hassle but that’s different. Their rights are still there if they wish to use them.

All off topic regarding this particular issue as DTG are actively trying to fix it but it’s always good to know that you are protected by more than what the manufacturers and retailers (and the above post) will have you believe.

20. moofeen#2182

moofeen#2182 Active Member

Why would you get your lawyer or whatever to get ur money back there’s no point in doing that.they made a mistake you can’t act like you haven’t made any mistakes in your life

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  21. DANtheWALLY

DANtheWALLY Active Member

Honestly it's been a few days like some people need to relax. Dovetail will fix it and if they don't within a suitable time I'm sure they can get their refunds or whatever.

• Like Like x 3
  22. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

I must admit, I'm a little foggy on the details, it was about 4 years ago now. I can't for the life of me remember what it was she was returning or what was wrong with it, I believe it was damaged in some manner or another. All I know is if the receipt was within a year we would have replaced or refunded the item, pretty much no questions asked. We did, however, have policy in place regarding longer-term cases involving manufacturer faults and the like. We'd usually be perfectly happy to refund/replace in those scenarios, I know that I did so on multiple occasions.

In terms of consumer rights, that's something handled by the head office, well above the pay grade of anyone working on the shop floor. There's nothing really we could have done about it within the bounds of company policy beyond telling them to contact the head office. When someone is ranting and raving at you waving bits of paper in your face expecting to get exactly what they want when you're just trying to do your job it is really not a pleasant experience. I and my manager explained that there was nothing that we could do at the store level. There's a reason I don't want to go back to retail again.

As a general rule in life, if you plan on walking into a shop and ranting and raving at the poor guy on the checkouts until you get a fistful of cash then you shouldn't be surprised if it doesn't go how you want. If there's anything to be learned from the story I think it is that things such as consumer rights are often handled in a different way than you might first assume and that the people who often get frustration taken out on them are just folks trying to do their job and sometimes they are not even the people who can solve a particular issue.

In short, I think it is good to sympathise with the 'other side' sometimes, the people just trying to do their job. Yes, of course, people should express their dissatisfaction and frustrations but there's a difference between that and letting emotions get the better of you. Ranting and raving won't do anything to help the situation and is just going to make the people who have to deal with that feel like crap.

I'm definitely off-topic here but yeah, I do think we can do a lot as a community to express our grievances in a more sympathetic manner, I just think we'll all be happier for it.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Hidden Donkey

Hidden Donkey Active Member

seriously trying to take legal acton it does say "If the company won’t fix the problem" which they are so you cant do nufing stop being so silly

• Like Like x 1
  24. Railfan1985

Railfan1985 Well-Known Member

Sounds to me as though she knew what she was doing. trying to get a freebie, knowing full well the guarantee had expired. Met a few of those. They are great for a laugh though lol

• Like Like x 2
  25. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

This. And I'll add it's "the people" who are probably the ones you'll have to deal with in the future, so ranting and raving isn't often the best policy for continued success. In anything really.

Face to face I think everyone would be much calmer and has you say, happier. We'd probably all talk about trains. For some reason it's just the anonymity of being behind a keyboard that brings out the rage in folks.

• Like Like x 2
  26. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

Oh my now the tsw community is now on a new toxicity level. Can’t wait to see the saddo players taking legal action even most of the issues are fixed

• Like Like x 2
  27. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

By the time it gets to court, it will be working perfectly. Case dismissed.

My favourite line in a song of all time is from She’s From Dodworth by the Bar Steward Sons of Val Doonican (sung to the tune of The Model by Kraftwerk):

Judge Rinder stopped her claim against the Aldi there
    Because the cucumber she took back was the worse for wear.

• Like Like x 1
  28. moofeen#2182

moofeen#2182 Active Member

But why tho like look at Fortnite they had sooooooooooo many bugs and glitches you can do to break the game and they didn’t patch them or like a month or 2 this was only a few days you just gotta cool ur beans bro it’s just a game dude