Immersion 2.0 Feedback

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Redbus, Aug 20, 2021.

1. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Just thought I'd put my thoughts in one post. First of all it's a great overall improvement, more functions mapped to controller. Thanks DTG for innovating.

Here is a list of issues I've found so far:
    - we were told there would be an Classic mapping override option to allow immersion to be used with Preserved Collection scenarios. Unless I am mistaken I don't believe this has been implemented (which is a real shame).
    - the AFB lever is mapped to OpsShift RB and RT which works great but the Control Guide on the UI says it's OpsShift LT and RT, so that image needs to be updated.
    - the Sander function (OpsShift Dpad DN) still operates the reverser lever. You probably don't notice when driving normally, but when the throttle is at idle and the reverser in forward, turning on the sander puts the reverser into neutral.
    - the Head Out camera option only seems to work with the Boston trains, older stock defaults to External (this may be intentional).
    - the Head Out camera option more often than not seems to choose the oppoosite side of the cab to where the platform is, which is frustrating and defeats the main purpose.
    - when switching through the external views with CamShift Dpad R, the Free view is always placed way off the rear end of the train. Normally Free view is placed ahead of the train.

Lastly, not an issue but it's a shame that the Bell was not added to OpsShift Dpad Up for the US routes, as that is used far more often than the sander.

That's it for now, I will add more if and when I discover them.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Conrad

Conrad Member

A question about new immersive controls.
    The new camera switch works very well but I can't move the free camera (8 in keyboard) speedly. So it's impossible follow the train and get a position for watch it passing.
    Is there a solutions?

3. Dallas117

Dallas117 Active Member

Ya my biggest complaint about Immersion 2.0 is not being able to use shift speed on the camera, I have always used that, so I guess I'm still stuck to using classic, although it's pretty dang close now to switching to immersion. I also noticed these posted issues, including no button for the bell, as well as the reverser moving with the sand.

I also think that if you hold right stick and then hold either right d pad for external or left d pad for internal it would pop up the selection wheel like in classic, so I can select the camera I want not have to constantly be switching threw them.

On other thing that is extremely frustrating, is how we are still FORCED to use immersion controls on scenarios or training. Why does it force you? I could see there being a recommendation then being able to continue on your already selected layout. I swear right when the new patch came out it didn't give me the notification to have to use immersion, but the more I played it started forcing me into immersion again. And the strangest thing, it would then act like both controls were active at the same time. Like both left stick and up and down on the d pad would move the reverser, so this must be a bug for sure.

4. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I don’t like the high/low horn being controlled by left stick in and shift left stick in. The horn should be a quick high/low, low/high blast. Having part of it need the shift button doesn’t feel intuitive.

The shift key function still seems to activate the reverser and the opening of the doors.

I like having access to all of the various internal camera angles and love having the free camera back, but the free camera urgently needs the fast placement option restoring as the train is gone in an instant and the camera can’t keep up.

5. met_cui98

met_cui98 Member

There are definitely some good things about the new controls, but I wish they had taken it a little further when it comes to German safety systems. One of my big immersion-breakers has always been the SIFA and PZB Acknowledge functionality being combined on the same controller button, so responding to SIFA also triggers the PZB Acknowledge sound. Being able to acknowledge SIFA on its own is the primary reason I now use a keyboard with console when running a German route. While I understand that they didn't want to separate them in order to maintain backwards compatibility, it might be possible to add SIFA Acknowledge to the Operations Shift controls, so one could acknowledge SIFA without PZB.

However, as noted above, I think the bell is the most glaring omission from Operations Shift at the moment (and its Classic location on the D-pad isn't even used in the current Operations Shift layout).

6. Gtasandman

Gtasandman Active Member

Ive noticed on the boston route if you used camera shift to take a screenshot it still controls the reverser. I feel like they dont fully test on console.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

I was going to ask about screenshots on Xbox. On the PS5 I am struggling to get any now since the hold square button is hit and miss. Is it the same on Xbox?

8. Gtasandman

Gtasandman Active Member

With the new controls its hold the Right stick down and hold Down on the D pad

9. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming.

I've made some notes on some changes we can potentially make and will review with the team. I will however address a couple of the points raised directly:

This is an ongoing project for Adam's team and requires each bit of content to be checked to see if it calls out "classic" buttons at all and if so to change it so it doesn't (or to make it responsive to the mode) - once that's done, an addon can then be switched so it doesnt force anymore.

This is because each train needs a small update to assign camera start locations and older stock doesn't have it. It's on our list to retrofit.

Yes this is a problem, for now if you plug a keyboard in the "shift" key will work - but clearly thats not the right answer. I have an idea for a better option and will see what we can do.

It's far from ideal but for "annoying technical reasons" we weren't able to make it attached to up/down positions of the stick, so this was the plan b to make sure we can still support both horns being operable.

Matt.[/quote]

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. schorni

schorni Well-Known Member

The same here. Press stick and control pad down. On Boston, the reverser is then pushed as well. I haven't discovered this on other tracks yet.
    Also, you can't confirm ATC/ACS on Boston on the F40 and CTC-3 with the gamepad.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  11. hells.high.lord666

hells.high.lord666 Well-Known Member

The new "improved" way to take a pic also activates the reverser on the locos on Hamburg Lubeck and moves the gear stick down through the gears on all routes that the class 101 (British) is usable in! Needs moving back to being on the X button!

12. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’ve noticed that if you cycle through the external cameras, the free camera comes after the rear camera and it stays at the back and shows the rear of your train driving away, rather than switching to the front where you want it.

The functions I’ve found most useful on the new immersion controls are the external zoom and the AFB/speed set controls. I’ve made occasional use of moving the camera up and down on the camera shift, so it’s nice to have that back from classic.

13. jaf_duman

jaf_duman Member

Agree. I was using keyboard to change AFB speeds but now doing this by controller and I think is quite intuitive.
    External zoom is very nice for making screenshots.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  14. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

I really like the new features:
    -Having access to the free camera
    -Having direct access to the AFB control.
    -Having the two tones of the horn.
    -Zoom in the cameras and when walking.
    -Have quick access to interior cameras.

I have some complaint of those that have already been said here:
    - It is quite necessary that there is a button for quick scrolling of the free camera. For those of us who like to put the camera far away and enjoy the train coming towards us it is a must.
    -I'm missing the direct access to SIFA recognition. If they don't want to remove the usual button that recognizes Sifa and pzb, at least put a shortcut with the new functions+cross button above, which is in disuse. And then we don't have to continuously hear "Zugbeeinflussung" when re-recognizing sifa.

Definitely a big step forward for those of us who play only with controller.

15. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

They should have called it the Hokey Cokey control system. You put the right stick in, the right stick out....

16. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

There is a potential solution to this - that the B button be programmed to work contextually. That is, when (and only when) a Sifa alert is active the B button functions as Sifa cancel only, at all other times it functions as a PZB acknowledge only.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. AbstractArtist4081

AbstractArtist4081 Member

I agree with the top and had the same problems on Xbox as the x button is hit and miss.

18. Conrad

Conrad Member

D'oh. Sifa pedal is also missing in controls.
    We can not still drive with pzb and sifa.

• Like Like x 1
  19. fl991r

fl991r Member

I think they talked about this as a solution on the stream today. Looks like it might be the leading candidate as far as solutions go. I guess the concern there would be the programming - Would it have to be applied retroactively to all routes and what happens if there is a mistake? Would that render SIFA or PZB "unpressable"?

What about changing the reverser to operation shift? I know it's used a lot in shunting and freight operations, but it seems to me to be a more deliberate action, something you never want to press by mistake. Maybe a way to safeguard from accidental press is to put it behind the shift key. And that would open two spots up on the D-pad for safety systems or what have you.

• Like Like x 1
  20. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

SIFA and PZB on the same key. To save changing the key surely a good idea would be to have a short press to acknowledge SIFA and a longer press to acknowledge PZB. Or vice versa to suit your taste.

21. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

Totally agree. I would prefer to have the inverter less accessible, which is something that is not used that often and is also quite easy to activate by mistake with the new features.
    On the other hand, I don't understand why they have put a quick access to the pzb override button (Befehl) if this is practically never used in TSW. I would prefer for example quick access to the bell.

22. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Not possible. Holding (o) is already used by contact signaller/dispatcher. With DTG being unwilling to change SIFA and PZB to use different buttons (once more confirmed in the last stream), the best way to enjoy German safety systems will remain using an external keyboard for the foreseeable future. I‘m not a fan of the smart (o) button which knows what to acknowledge. Sort of takes the fun out for me if the game is doing the thinking for me.

• Like Like x 1
  23. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Ah, I wasn't aware of that, I've only just changed from TSW1 to 2 so all these extra buttons are new!

Ideally the ability to map the buttons to your own requirements would be the solution. You could then choose which functions to add and which to leave out.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  24. Lamplight

Absolutely. That would be ideal.

• Like Like x 1
  25. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Thinking about it further if the controller could be mapped there might be the possibility of saving different profiles. So you could have a setup specific for German trains, American trains, British...

In an ideal world. :)

• Like Like x 3
  26. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

That’s an excellent idea. Button mapping would be the perfect solution. How easy it can be implemented is another matter.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Luk396-e464

Luk396-e464 Active Member

Hi, does anyone know all the combinations one person can do with the controller? I know there is a manual in the menu of the game, but i tried to test it and only the easy things work. For example keeping press "RS" doesn't work

28. tuxcatazuma

tuxcatazuma Active Member

Would love to hear if there have been any more thoughts about this from DTG? Having the PZB acknowledgement each time you press for sifa on the Xbox is really annoying (thinking of the 101 in particular). I really like the idea of there being an option to remap some controls.

• Like Like x 2
  29. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

there has already been some implementation on the latest German route where controller input won’t acknowledge unless needed

30. Lamplight

Not on the latest. DRA had it but DCZ didn’t for some reason.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  31. richard cooper

richard cooper Active Member

How do you access immersion 2 .can't find it in settings. Thanks anybody

32. Lamplight

There is no immersion 2.0 in the settings. The immersion control scheme was updated to include the functions accessible via the operation/camera shift and rabid called that update immersion 2.0.

33. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

I had thought one may not but when you have around 7 versions of a dostos it gets harder to remember which one is which and then which has what on that

34. NateDogg7a

NateDogg7a Well-Known Member

Well I don't remember ever seeing this thread before, but since it's been resurrected, gotta say I totally agree with restoring the bell functionality to the controller map. It's the one thing I miss from the original controls, really nice to have on North American routes so you don't have to keep searching for the button in the cab.

• Like Like x 1